Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

Do we have a dedicated modular synthesizer thread? Today I built a prototype for a module that converts smiles into control voltage. For hardware, it uses a webcam, a Raspberry Pi, and a DAC to output a value between 0 volts and 3.3 volts based on how much you are smiling. For software, I'm using Python and OpenCV. I'll cross-post this on reddit. I would love to on muffwiggler, but the rules on that forum are pretty insane and I can't seem to get a post to work there.

I want to convert this into an actual module I mount in my rack. I don't know enough about eletrical engineering to know how to convert the power off of the rack to something the Raspberry Pi can consume. I think that's actually all I need, as the pi seemed totally capable of powering the webcam I had hooked up without a powered hub.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

Chainclaw posted:

Today I built a prototype for a module that converts smiles into control voltage.

i initially assumed you were joking, but man. you beautiful bastard. i'm sure it wouldn't be super interesting for most people in this thread, but, in broad terms, what criteria do you use for a smile?

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

LOVE LOVE SKELETON posted:

i initially assumed you were joking, but man. you beautiful bastard. i'm sure it wouldn't be super interesting for most people in this thread, but, in broad terms, what criteria do you use for a smile?

OpenCV is a fantastic library, and has object detection using Haar Feature-based Cascade Classifiers built in.
There are plenty of samples and examples, and the OpenCV library itself comes built in cascades that can be used to detect face, smile, eye, and other body parts.
Take a look at this tutorial from their docs: http://docs.opencv.org/3.1.0/d7/d8b/tutorial_py_face_detection.html

This whole project is far simpler than it sounds like it would be, and pretty inexpensive: $35 Raspberry Pi 3, $20 webcam, $5 DAC, and a $10 MicroSD card.
From there, I setup Raspbian on the Raspberry Pi, then installed and built the OpenCV library, and finally installed the Adafruit I2C and MCP4725 libraries.

I rubbed the two sample projects together, and a smile based control voltage was generated.

edit: I really wanted to use the PiZero for this project. It's only $5, and way smaller than the Pi 3. Unfortunately it's nowhere near as powerful, and I don't think it would have cut the mustard.

edit2: Here's a video showing this in action: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kG5WLU6azgs
Didn't really have a subject who was willing to have their face actually on camera. Next time I hook this up I'll print out a smiling and a not smiling face and hold each up to the camera.

Chainclaw fucked around with this message at 03:02 on Jul 25, 2016

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

Startyde posted:

Welp, it's a 12 voice poly. All it has to do is be under a grand and they're going to have a smash hit.

edit- speaking of hating on stuff, the new model D having an external supply is some low rent bullshit for it being almost four grand. VOS didn't, hell the Dominion doesn't and MFB is practically a one man operation.

I thought Behringer was known for making hot garbage hardware

Did they get better or something

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006
I want Tong Po! Give me Tong Po!

A MIRACLE posted:

I thought Behringer was known for making hot garbage hardware

Did they get better or something

Behringer bought MIDAS so.... yes, I think?

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

They're certainly better than early 2000's Behringer. They're still going to source cheap components, and their truly consumer-grade gear is made to break, but I've mixed a ton of shows on an X32 and it's honestly kind of changed my opinion on the company.

They'll never be in the same mental category as major, long-standing synth producers, but I could see them being at the same level of quality (and potentially the same revolving door of issues) as the Arturia hardsynths.

magiccarpet
Jan 3, 2005

Is there a trick for getting the Mother to play nice with external CV clocks? The loving thing jumps around constantly on me. I have the tempo menu set to CV in and all that jazz.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
What clock?

magiccarpet
Jan 3, 2005

Mainly from a Hexinverter Orbitals, but also simple pulse LFOs through a 4MS RCD. It keeps doing a weird slew-y step. I'll can post a video later.

stillvisions
Oct 15, 2014

I really should have come up with something better before spending five bucks on this.

dj bobby bieber posted:

Sub-37 would be a better studio piece - these are really for investment and collection.

Moog has realized that the Blues Dad is slowly being replaced by the Prog Dad, so they're putting out their showpiece gear to attract that set. I'm sure the Model D is nice and all, but it feels like Fender and their classic re-issues when things like the Sub 37 and Mother-32 are their actual working models. That being said, I'll sure as hell give one a listen if I can ever get my hands on one just in case it's some magical musical experience, but I'm not holding my breath for it.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Any stand-out video tutorials for some of the finer points of modular synthesis? I have a solid understanding of subtractive synthesis, and a functional understanding of FM synthesis, but right now I get a little lost when it comes to some of the more esoteric utility modules and functions, like attenuverters, DC vs. AC coupling, and hell, I have a Maths and can't sort out the "right" way of using it.

good jovi
Dec 11, 2000

'm pro-dickgirl, and I VOTE!

MockingQuantum posted:

Any stand-out video tutorials for some of the finer points of modular synthesis? I have a solid understanding of subtractive synthesis, and a functional understanding of FM synthesis, but right now I get a little lost when it comes to some of the more esoteric utility modules and functions, like attenuverters, DC vs. AC coupling, and hell, I have a Maths and can't sort out the "right" way of using it.

MW has many "newbie resources collected here" threads that never get consolidated or pruned

https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=44345
https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=12812
https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=106396
https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=48946

I'd probably start with that third one.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

I've watched a few of those on that third link; they're pretty good. The list contained within the fourth link is massive and probably worth pecking through. (Seriously. Massive.)

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Is there a similar resource for FM synthesis? I'm pretty keen to learn more about the process of sound design in FM Synth.

Youtube, paid CBTs, anything that comes recommended I'll consider.

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Jul 27, 2016

Scatterfold
Nov 4, 2008

MockingQuantum posted:

Maths is one of those modules where you keep finding new uses if you have a mindset of "oh, i wish i had [x]; perhaps maths does [x]; oh it does!". I.e. last night i multed the audio out of my 202 into the signal in of ch1 and used the ch1 unity signal out to control an envelope (slightly delayed with ch1 rise) somewhere else. Tonight i'm gonna try the same thing inverting ch1 and see if it works like a ducking sidechain.

Also, try this: https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=63068

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.

magiccarpet posted:

Is there a trick for getting the Mother to play nice with external CV clocks? The loving thing jumps around constantly on me. I have the tempo menu set to CV in and all that jazz.

Are you sure a) that you have the right mode set, and b) that you have the right kind of signal?

You say that you are in "CV in" (which I assume means you're using "Tempo CV Input Mode") but looking at the manual it appears that you want to be in "Tempo Single Clock Advance Mode". Additionally, you need to make sure that your clock signal is bipolar, not 0V...+[whatever]V. This mode detects a rising edge so it needs to see a signal going from negative to positive. Finally, the fact you're getting weird behavior makes me think that you're pushing a signal in that's either under -5V or over +5V (or both!). This can cause the odd behavior you describe (best case) or damage your device (worse case).

Attenuate and, if necessary, offset.

magiccarpet
Jan 3, 2005

Oldstench posted:

Are you sure a) that you have the right mode set, and b) that you have the right kind of signal?

You say that you are in "CV in" (which I assume means you're using "Tempo CV Input Mode") but looking at the manual it appears that you want to be in "Tempo Single Clock Advance Mode". Additionally, you need to make sure that your clock signal is bipolar, not 0V...+[whatever]V. This mode detects a rising edge so it needs to see a signal going from negative to positive. Finally, the fact you're getting weird behavior makes me think that you're pushing a signal in that's either under -5V or over +5V (or both!). This can cause the odd behavior you describe (best case) or damage your device (worse case).

Attenuate and, if necessary, offset.

Thanks for this- I'll take a look this evening and report back.

Edit: That did it. The Tempo CV Input was adding incoming CV to the unites internal tempo amount, hence all the jumping. Thanks again.

magiccarpet fucked around with this message at 04:32 on Jul 29, 2016

minidracula
Dec 22, 2007

boo woo boo
Now I have a Korg MS-20. Ho ho ho.

(That is all.)

Tan Dumplord
Mar 9, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Just built myself a ProCo Rat clone and it sounds awesome with both guitars and synths.

Now, to build a lab power supply and finally tackle the Polivoks.

WorldWarWonderful
Jul 15, 2004
Eh?

Martytoof posted:

Is there a similar resource for FM synthesis? I'm pretty keen to learn more about the process of sound design in FM Synth.

Youtube, paid CBTs, anything that comes recommended I'll consider.

Cuckoo just put one out recently: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WJrTk4cgFiQ. I haven't watched the whole thing yet, but I've been dealing with FM in hardware and software for about fifteen years.

ozmunkeh
Feb 28, 2008

hey guys what is happening in this thread
https://www.amazona.de/preview-interview-behringer-deepmind-12-analogsynthesizer/

A modern 106, you say? :allears:

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

come post with us, forever and ever and ever
3x ENV and 2x LFO with delay oo baby :yum:

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea
And the award for the worst name ever given to a synth goes to...:

(Bonus points for having 'PHAT' printed on it too)

minidracula
Dec 22, 2007

boo woo boo

cubicle gangster posted:

And the award for the worst name ever given to a synth goes to...:

(Bonus points for having 'PHAT' printed on it too)
It's "DeepMind 12" (which is... bad... for other reasons); I think the "PHAT" label was just for the prototypes.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Are there any really standout Doepfer modules? I ignored them as a company for a long time because their modules didn't seem "sexy" compared to stuff like Make Noise and Mutable, but the further I get into Euro the more I come to appreciate simple utility. Anything I should definitely check out?

Edit: for this matter, I guess my question extends to more utility-oriented modules in general. I've got about 30hp left in my rack and I want to make sure I'm not overlooking anything really useful before I fill it with weird noise manglers.

MockingQuantum fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Jul 30, 2016

byob historian
Nov 5, 2008

I'm an animal abusing piece of shit! I deliberately poisoned my dog to death and think it's funny! I'm an irredeemable sack of human shit!
their matrix mixer is a lot of fun

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

come post with us, forever and ever and ever
wasp filter, vactrol s-p filter, max/min selector, PLL, vactrol phaser those are the unique things I've liked.
Straight up utility that's interesting- the large EGs, the quad adsr and complex env/LFO (quad ad) modules are both great with lots of self-patching options. The small knobless VCAs. The crossfader controller module. It's not that their stuff is vanilla just sizable for what they do I think, but I appreciate that because the super cramped modules border on unusable imo. I see those awful volca style plastic pots on more and more modules, even big dollar ones, I don't think it's the way to go.

Mr. Glass
May 1, 2009
nothing terribly groundbreaking, but the A160-2 Clock Divider II, A160-5 Clock Multiplier, and A151 Quad Sequential Switch are all great 4hp utilities. the clock divider in particular has some fairly uncommon divisions (prime numbers) if that's your jam.

my favorite utility modules in general are MI Shades and Malekko's 2hp buffered multiples -- i have 2 of each in my rack. the mults also have a pushbutton switch that is useful for modifying patch routing on the fly.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Startyde posted:

wasp filter, vactrol s-p filter, max/min selector, PLL, vactrol phaser those are the unique things I've liked.
Straight up utility that's interesting- the large EGs, the quad adsr and complex env/LFO (quad ad) modules are both great with lots of self-patching options. The small knobless VCAs. The crossfader controller module. It's not that their stuff is vanilla just sizable for what they do I think, but I appreciate that because the super cramped modules border on unusable imo. I see those awful volca style plastic pots on more and more modules, even big dollar ones, I don't think it's the way to go.

I admit I'm primarily drawn to modules that pack a lot in a little space. But it's definitely impacting module makers in a negative way-- either you build a cramped, feature heavy module or put out something that is seen either as a "one trick pony" affair and/or is regarded as being a premium-priced module.

That said, there are module makers that do it and seem to do it well. I don't have any in my setup currently but it seems like Intellijel's stuff is super functional without being cheaply made.

MockingQuantum fucked around with this message at 01:27 on Jul 31, 2016

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

You didn't post the actual video interview, which is linked deep in the middle of that German-language Amazona.de article:

http://www.sonicstate.com/news/2016/07/30/behringer-deepmind-12-first-look/

magiccarpet
Jan 3, 2005

Can anyone recommend a multi-envelope generator a la a Quadra or something? Right now I'm only rocking a single Function.

byob historian
Nov 5, 2008

I'm an animal abusing piece of shit! I deliberately poisoned my dog to death and think it's funny! I'm an irredeemable sack of human shit!
maths lol
if youve only got one eg, i imagine your modular's on the smaller side, so 4 envelopes might be overkill. if you do go for the quadra, don't forget the expander to give you cv control.

another option might be small egs, like the pip slope or adsr jr, both just 4 HP

magiccarpet
Jan 3, 2005

mrbradlymrmartin posted:

maths lol
if youve only got one eg, i imagine your modular's on the smaller side, so 4 envelopes might be overkill. if you do go for the quadra, don't forget the expander to give you cv control.

another option might be small egs, like the pip slope or adsr jr, both just 4 HP

ugh i'm actually on the large side with my rig. got all hyped for oscillators and filters instead of utilities, so trying to fix that all up now.

https://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/274705

byob historian
Nov 5, 2008

nice rig, i'm def gonna recommend maths again as i think having another mixer will come in quite handy for you. youve got the space for maths, quadra, and the expander it looks like,tho that would prbably be overkill. maybe maths and a dedicated adsr? or you could get a ptg or an optomix and feed it dc and triggers to make vactrol envelopes you can patch anywhere, vactrols are always fun

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

While people are posting their rigs, I could use some advice again on what to do with my remaining space. I'm still learning my way around modular so I'm not even entirely aware of what's out there. I was thinking maybe a S/H or some sort of utility module with one built in? Or an ADSR? Or possibly a filter? I set out to make primarily an effects box but it's kind of grown beyond that. I was also thinking of some small, basic clock source like the uStep.

https://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/192277

Ignore the blind panels in the bottom row, I only have one 3U row + Mother.

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

Yesterday I put together something in about two hours using the Bass Station 2, Mother-32, and Volca sample: https://soundcloud.com/joejoejoejoe-4/dontforgettopaythebills
A few months in and I still really like the Mother-32, what a fantastic synth.

magiccarpet
Jan 3, 2005

mrbradlymrmartin posted:

nice rig, i'm def gonna recommend maths again as i think having another mixer will come in quite handy for you. youve got the space for maths, quadra, and the expander it looks like,tho that would prbably be overkill. maybe maths and a dedicated adsr? or you could get a ptg or an optomix and feed it dc and triggers to make vactrol envelopes you can patch anywhere, vactrols are always fun

awesome, i'll do a bit of reading on these. thanks for the help!

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.
Anyone looking to fill out some space in their modular should buy me OG Wiard Anti-Osc. Gargoyles baby!

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Oldstench posted:

Anyone looking to fill out some space in their modular should buy me OG Wiard Anti-Osc. Gargoyles baby!

Dang, if I hadn't already dropped a stupid amount of money on new modules, I would. I like the Anti-Osc but have held off because I wanted the old face plate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kuf
May 12, 2007
aaaaaa
I loaned my MS-20 mini to someone and then got it back with a key stuck upwards, the hook that keeps it hooked onto the PCB is now stuck above the PCB itself. It looks like an easy fix, just need to pull the hook out just far enough for it to get back onto the PCB. Should I go for it?