Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
B.B. Rodriguez
Aug 8, 2005

Bender: "I was God once." God: "Yes, I saw. You were doing well until everyone died."

Was Taters posted:

MLS has great parity. Every team except LA is allowed to have a terrible season sometimes.

Hey we had 4 straight bad seasons back in the day. We even fired Sigi to bring in Steve Sampson. Then we hired Frank Yallop and then we hired Ruud Gullit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Your Boy Fancy
Feb 7, 2003

by Cyrano4747

whypick1 posted:

That's league-wide though.

And I doubt Lagerway would go before Sigi considering he only just got hired last year.

If I burn with you can I at least drink the whole time?

I said burn with me, not burn like me.

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

whypick1 posted:

That's league-wide though.

And I doubt Lagerway would go before Sigi considering he only just got hired last year.

If I burn with you can I at least drink the whole time?

We're in the PNW we can blaze we aren't like those squares in DC who are limited to simply drinking their problems away.

Also while Flaco isn't exciting a signing he should be better than Marfan/Sturgis/Kovar/Gomez and Lodeiro should have the potential to be a good player. Alonso is still good there are only like four guys I think in the league better than him at his job and most of them are DP's anyway like Alonso (Gruezo/Laba/Chara/Dax). Our fullbacks are fully poo poo though and need replacing and our backline is old, but play okay.

I think we just need to dump Mears/Ivanschitz/Valdez/Gomez/Scott and one of Marshall/Torres/Evans and that gives our team a ton of room to work with bringing in replacements.

Jack2142 fucked around with this message at 23:16 on Jul 25, 2016

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Just another jackass on the Internet
1. DC de-criminalized weed last year
2. Weed and I don't get along

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

whypick1 posted:

1. DC de-criminalized weed last year
2. Weed and I don't get along

1. Oh
2. I agree I don't smoke either

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Jack2142 posted:

I think we just need to dump Mears/Ivanschitz/Valdez/Gomez/Scott and one of Marshall/Torres/Evans and that gives our team a ton of room to work with bringing in replacements.

Mears is still the best player on the defense, and probably has created more offensive chances than any of the midfielders.

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

SeaTard posted:

Mears is still the best player on the defense, and probably has created more offensive chances than any of the midfielders.

You mean slowing down the attack and lobbing in lovely crosses that are way too easy to clear, and getting embarrassed by any non geriatric winger then yes your right.

TheNakedJimbo
Nov 18, 2004

If you die first, I am definitely going to eat you. The question is, if I die first...what are YOU gonna do?
While we're on transfer news, Turkish club Trabzonspor has offered $4m plus 15% sell-on for FCD's Fabian Castillo. Fabi hasn't had the best season so far; in fact he's been downright infuriating to watch most of the year (oh, there he goes dribbling into three defenders again, drink!), but over the past several years he's proven his quality. Personally there's a zero point zero chance I'd consider moving to Turkey right now, but if he wants to get paid, he'll probably get paid.

My personal philosophy is that I'd much rather be a big fish in a small pond (see: earlier comment about Dwyer, and also Landon Donovan's MLS career), but I get that you really only have ten or so years to make all the money you're ever going to make as a professional soccer player, so you might as well cash in.

USMC_Karl
Nov 17, 2003

SUPPORTER OF THE REINSTATED LAWFUL HAWAIIAN GOVERNMENT. HAOLES GET OFF DA `AINA.
Yeah, I saw the Fabi announcement and wasn't too surprised. Every time I watch a USOC game on youtube there are about a million weirdos screaming that Fabi is going to Turkey and, as far as I know, the rumor has been around for a while. The word bouncing around among the FCD people I know is that Fabi is going, but I don't know how much stock I put in that.

Yeah, he's had a pretty meh season. I think part of that is most teams know what he's on about and part of it is down to him seemingly phoning it in some games. I still hope he doesn't go away because when he's on, he's ON. Him and Barrios make excellent wingers, and with Urruti starting to pick up a good head of steam FCD's offense is starting to look really, really good.

Now if only our defense could tighten up a bit :smith:

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

Fabian Espindola seems to have rejected being traded to the Whitecaps because "he doesn't want to go to a foreign country"

I agree with Espindola why bother going to China if it's not for the stupid money in the CSL.

TheNakedJimbo
Nov 18, 2004

If you die first, I am definitely going to eat you. The question is, if I die first...what are YOU gonna do?

USMC_Karl posted:

Yeah, he's had a pretty meh season. I think part of that is most teams know what he's on about and part of it is down to him seemingly phoning it in some games.

I felt this way a lot of last season, when he was truly one of the most dangerous pieces of the FCD attack. It seemed like a lot of teams had gameplanned for him and would effectively mark him out of the game. I attended the FCD vs Orlando City game last season, expecting Fabi to eat Rafael Ramos alive, but the impression I got was that Orlando knew he was dangerous and had simply adapted their game plan accordingly.

That's what led to the infuriating element of Fabi's play; he never seemed to realize he was most dangerous as part of a widespread attack, and seemed to relish the challenge of dribbling past two/three/four defenders rather than passing the ball off to Mauro Diaz or crossing it to Michael Barrios.

Then he busts out a rabona assist and you remember why he's been a starter no matter how poor his form.

porkface
Dec 29, 2000

highme posted:

You guys probably know this already, but Borchers snapped his Achilles on Saturday and is out for the season at the least.

Also it looks like Portland will be signing Steven Taylor from Newcastle as well.
We've lived by the Borchers and died by the Borchers enough that I feel bad for the guy but am not totally distraught about our prospects.

USMC_Karl
Nov 17, 2003

SUPPORTER OF THE REINSTATED LAWFUL HAWAIIAN GOVERNMENT. HAOLES GET OFF DA `AINA.

TheNakedJimbo posted:

I felt this way a lot of last season, when he was truly one of the most dangerous pieces of the FCD attack. It seemed like a lot of teams had gameplanned for him and would effectively mark him out of the game. I attended the FCD vs Orlando City game last season, expecting Fabi to eat Rafael Ramos alive, but the impression I got was that Orlando knew he was dangerous and had simply adapted their game plan accordingly.

That's what led to the infuriating element of Fabi's play; he never seemed to realize he was most dangerous as part of a widespread attack, and seemed to relish the challenge of dribbling past two/three/four defenders rather than passing the ball off to Mauro Diaz or crossing it to Michael Barrios.

Then he busts out a rabona assist and you remember why he's been a starter no matter how poor his form.

Exactly, Fabi seems to kind of forget the other players when he is on a break and, while it can be really frustrating to see him dribble straight into 3 defenders and be stripped of the ball, sometimes he is able to burn through all of them and make them look like elementary schoolers playing bunchball. I'm hoping that he is starting to realize that he needs to play a little more team and a little less run-and-gun after his lackluster season, but really I'd be happy with him even if he doesn't.

Barrios is another little ball breaker of a winger and, while not quite as good as Fabi, is pretty incredible in his own right. I actually like Barrios a little more than Fabi because he seems to have a little bit more tactical knowledge and is more than willing to spread the ball around if it means the team gets a goal.

Urutti is starting to be my new favorite player. He seems to have some choking issues with missing total gimme goals, but he's been performing better and better every game and he is a pretty strong team player. Him and Diaz make a dastardly duo.

While I think I'm in the minority with this, I really think that Akindele is a good player to keep on. He seems to play best as a support attacker, having other guys to pass back and forth with. He does not play well as a single lone attacker, and that is what Pareja has been playing him as recently. I'd basically keep Urutti, Barrios, and Diaz out all game every game and alternate between Fabi and Aki depending on who is having the better night.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

Jack2142 posted:

Fabian Espindola seems to have rejected being traded to the Whitecaps because "he doesn't want to go to a foreign country"

I agree with Espindola why bother going to China if it's not for the stupid money in the CSL.

I had incredibly low expectations for the Espindola trade and the FO has still somehow managed to disappoint. Gold star! At least it's a karmic reverse of the Rochat trade and I have that to laugh at.

Ah, well, we'll sell his contract rights to Mexico or something and bring someone else in if need be. I'm not sold on this Esqueda rumour but eh, whatever, if Kudo can avoid getting injured again I'm okay with him as the #1 for the end of the season.

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation

porkface posted:

We've lived by the Borchers and died by the Borchers enough that I feel bad for the guy but am not totally distraught about our prospects.

I explained that to my dad last night as we were chatting, that I was sad it happened this way but I think we would be better off if we can find a younger, faster pairing for Ridgewell that clicks with Ridgewell the same way he and Borchers did. Borchers made a lot of great saves by experience but also got burned by speed a lot. My dad turns around and tells another group that I'm happy Borchers is injured.

camoseven
Dec 30, 2005

RODOLPHONE RINGIN'
Sigi is out! Olsen next? Maybe? ...Please?

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Can't say I'm surprised.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Thank God

Your Boy Fancy
Feb 7, 2003

by Cyrano4747
SIGN HIM THIS INSTANT KASPAR YOU COCK

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

I wonder if Jason Kreis feels like an idiot for signing with Orlando now.

edit: And I guess Lodeiro was just spotted at Seatac airport with Lagerway, I wonder if he realizes he's going to play for a new coach now.

binge crotching fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Jul 26, 2016

Poonior Toilett
Aug 21, 2004

m'lady

Your Boy Fancy posted:

SIGN HIM THIS INSTANT KASPAR YOU COCK

No gently caress you TFC calls dibs

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

SeaTard posted:

edit: And I guess Lodeiro was just spotted at Seatac airport with Lagerway, I wonder if he realizes he's going to play for a new coach now.

He was going to be playing with a new coach anyway :v:

Azerban
Oct 28, 2003

Jermaine Dildoe posted:

No gently caress you TFC calls dibs

we've never had a real coach and we won't start now

Poonior Toilett
Aug 21, 2004

m'lady

Perhaps Seattle would be interested in a breath of fresh air, an up-and-comer on the MLS coaching circuit, a student of the game if you will

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

I don't think we're going to get Mastroeni dude.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

whypick1 posted:

I don't think we're going to get Mastroeni dude.

His mustache would fit right in with this city

highme
May 25, 2001

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

John Spencer for SSFC

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

Azerban posted:

we've never had a real coach and we won't start now

Wasn't Schmid rumoured to be retiring after this year anyway? Maybe he's done early.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

What's Peter Nowak doing these days

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

highme posted:

John Spencer for SSFC

:supaburn:

Actually, it'll be Jurgen.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

DOOP posted:

What's Peter Nowak doing these days

Managing a team in the Polish First Division.

Was Taters
Jul 30, 2004

Here comes a regular

SeaTard posted:

:supaburn:

Actually, it'll be Jurgen.

I'd be over the moon.

It'll be Rongen.

Azerban
Oct 28, 2003

every six months i google mo johnstons name and i'd like to let you know he is still available

threeagainstfour
Jun 27, 2005

You're gonna get Yalloped

Fucitol
May 8, 2005

Ceterum autem censeo mundum esse delendam

Memento, homo, quia pulvis es, et in pulverem reverteris
2017 is the year seattle again stops caring about the sounders and collectively moves towards the next niche "no gently caress you dad" fandom

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Fucitol posted:

2017 is the year seattle again stops caring about the sounders and collectively moves towards the next niche "no gently caress you dad" fandom

It will never happen because there is no god.

Poonior Toilett
Aug 21, 2004

m'lady

You big dumb Seattle babies throw little hissy fits every time your team loses a game or two

Get on my level

TheBoyBlunder
Jul 3, 2004

Anyone else have the munchies?
Does anyone know the particulars of the new rules surrounding the all star game? I know the league instituted some new idiotic policy and I can't find the rules.

Jermaine Jones is getting an MRI on one of his bad knees and I seriously doubt he'll play. Does that mean he's getting fined, suspended, or nothing at all?

I'm sure there are other players in the same boat like Kaka, will they get fined too?

TheBoyBlunder fucked around with this message at 17:44 on Jul 27, 2016

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

They should give him a medal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tigren
Oct 3, 2003

TheBoyBlunder posted:

Does anyone know the particulars of the new rules surrounding the all star game? I know the league instituted some new idiotic policy and I can't find the rules.

Jermaine Jones is getting an MRI on one of his bad knees and I seriously doubt he'll play. Does that mean he's getting fined, suspended, or nothing at all?

I'm sure there are other players in the same boat like Kaka, will they get fined too?

I believe if you miss the All Star game, you miss the next league game or some stupid poo poo like that.

• Locked thread