Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
I could see why fans would want to do it, just not the people actually making the decision

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

Bird in a Blender posted:

If I was WVU, I'd be pretty pissed to see BYU and Nebraska in the conference since it would move the conference center even further away from them. I hate having isolated teams so I'd rather see the Big 12 grow east instead of west. Especially since the TV markets are better going east.

Add two to the east, two to the west, maybe one of them will even end up being a decent program some day.

If the Big 12 feels like they absolutely must expand (which they really don't), BYU is too much better than every other choice to pass up. They have by far the highest floor and the biggest built in fanbase.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

DJExile posted:

Yeah even in the relative short term, those deals can be lucrative as poo poo. The B1G doesn't give a poo poo that nobody in DC or NYC is going to watch BTN, they just need to be available to all those televisions.

The Big Ten moved to DC after college. There's a poo poo load of fans here.

Kim Jong Il
Aug 16, 2003
I have Charles blocked for being an idiot in D&D. Rutgers easily has the last two, and has a lot more of the first than a lot of the leftovers being discussed.

Distinguish between per capita and overall numbers too. There are a lot of BTN viewers in the NYC and DC markets and they're comparatively wealthy.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

Kim Jong Il posted:

I have Charles blocked for being an idiot in D&D. Rutgers easily has the last two, and has a lot more of the first than a lot of the leftovers being discussed.

Distinguish between per capita and overall numbers too. There are a lot of BTN viewers in the NYC and DC markets and they're comparatively wealthy.

Lmao

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I haven't posted in D&D in like six months. Though replying to me defeats the purpose somewhat.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Tears well up in the eyes of the Rutgers president as he proudly unveils a New York Television Market statue outside the stadium

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
They'll have to tear it down and hide it in ten years after everyone under 30 has cut the cord.

KIM JONG TRILL
Nov 29, 2006

GIN AND JUCHE

Thoguh posted:

Other than "being in Houston with access to lots of recruits" what makes you say they have better "core fundamentals" than any other G5 school? They're a commuter school that is running a huge deficit and their athletic department is basically just the football team.

AP Poll Appearances:
Houston - 184
Iowa State - 40

Average AP Poll Rank:
Houston - 13.8
Iowa State - 17.7

Best AP Rank:
Houston - 2
Iowa State - 9

Conference Championships:
Houston - 11
Iowa State - 2

Heisman Winners:
Houston - 1
Iowa State - 0

Consensus All Americans:
Houston - 18
Iowa State - 3

Last 10 years vs P5:
Houston - (16-15 ) .516
Iowa State - (30-77) .280

Should I go on?

KIM JONG TRILL fucked around with this message at 04:06 on Jul 27, 2016

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

KIM JONG TRILL posted:

AP Poll Appearances:
Houston - 184
Iowa State - 40

Average AP Poll Rank:
Houston - 13.8
Iowa State - 17.7

Best AP Rank:
Houston - 2
Iowa State - 9

Houston - 11
Iowa State - 2

Heisman Winners:
Houston - 1
Iowa State - 0

Consensus All Americans:
Houston - 18
Iowa State - 3

Last 10 years vs P5:
Houston - (16-15 ) .516 [4-10]

Should I go on?

Houston losing to Tulane at home 2 years ago should be counted as a huge negative.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

KIM JONG TRILL posted:

AP Poll Appearances:
Houston - 184
Iowa State - 40

Average AP Poll Rank:
Houston - 13.8
Iowa State - 17.7

Best AP Rank:
Houston - 2
Iowa State - 9

Houston - 11
Iowa State - 2

Heisman Winners:
Houston - 1
Iowa State - 0

Consensus All Americans:
Houston - 18
Iowa State - 3

Last 10 years vs P5:
Houston - (16-15 ) .516 [4-10]

Should I go on?

Yeah but I'm pretty sure Iowa State is a wrestling only member of the Big 12.

KIM JONG TRILL
Nov 29, 2006

GIN AND JUCHE

If I was WVU, I'd be pretty pissed to see BYU and Nebraska in the conference since it would move the conference center even further away from them. I hate having isolated teams so I'd rather see the Big 12 grow east instead of west. Especially since the TV markets are better going east.

Frankly, WVU can gently caress right off. They're a member by necessity and they'd bolt for the ACC if ever offered regardless of whether we give them a "travel partner."

e: And I think the Big 12 would be better served by focusing on getting a big piece of the western pie versus a minuscule piece of the eastern pie. Nobody really gives a poo poo about Memphis/UCONN/UCF/USF football and they have to compete with some really big fish in their respective regions.

KIM JONG TRILL fucked around with this message at 04:05 on Jul 27, 2016

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

KIM JONG TRILL posted:

Frankly, WVU can gently caress right off. They're a member by necessity and they'd bolt for the ACC if ever offered regardless of whether we give them a "travel partner."

e: And I think the Big 12 would be better served by focusing on getting a big piece of the western pie versus a minuscule piece of the eastern pie. Nobody really gives a poo poo about Memphis/UCONN/UCF/USF football and they have to compete with some really big fish in their respective regions.

Lets be fair, the Mormon market is only around 6 million people, and as much as those guys breed like crazy, that's pretty small-fries overall.

KIM JONG TRILL
Nov 29, 2006

GIN AND JUCHE
I'm cool with Cinci. But man I really hate the idea of adding UCONN or Memphis.

Nystral
Feb 6, 2002

Every man likes a pretty girl with him at a skeleton dance.

kayakyakr posted:

Lets be fair, the Mormon market is only around 6 million people, and as much as those guys breed like crazy, that's pretty small-fries overall.

And the Florida schools are 4th and 5th locally in popularity behind UF / FSU / Miami but the overall metro markets are Tampa at 11 and Orlando at 19 per Nielsen. Is 4th or 5th out of 1.5 - 2 million homes worth it? You're

For reference Cincy is at 36 with just under 900K, Houston at 10 with 2.73M, Hartford at 30 with 945K, and SLC at 34 with just under 900K as well. AFAIK outside of Houston sharing the market with the other Texas teams, the rest are the most popular schools in their respective markets.

Basically what I'm saying is that if the B12 is dead set on expansion all of the options pretty much suck and you're down to Olympic Sports as the differentiation points. Does the B12 care that UCF doesn't have a Gymnastics program? Or only 16 sports total per the NCAA? That USF has 17? Cincy has women's lacrosse?

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

KIM JONG TRILL posted:

Memphis is FedEx money, but my money is on UCF/USF which would be better for the conference ebcause it gets us into Florida recruiting.

And yes, we'd totally bolt for the ACC but they're never coming calling.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Media markets are 2010s logic. We need to start thinking with 2020s logic. What's going to matter in the post-cable 2020s? I don't know, but I have a feeling it's all coming down to wrasslin'

Nystral
Feb 6, 2002

General Dog posted:

Media markets are 2010s logic. We need to start thinking with 2020s logic. What's going to matter in the post-cable 2020s? I don't know, but I have a feeling it's all coming down to wrasslin'

Oh poo poo, the Knights are doomed then. Maybe Volleyball will be the sport hipster kids like in the 2020s, UCF isn't horrible there...

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.

KIM JONG TRILL posted:

UConn can gently caress itself, but I feel like Memphis is consistent enough to not be an embarrassing addition.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

General Dog posted:

There will be some good rivalries in the future wrestling-centric Big Ten: Oklahoma State, Iowa, Iowa State, Oklahoma, Penn State, Minnesota, Ohio State, Arizona State, Michigan State, Indiana

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Iowa state is actually really bad at wrestling

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Sash! posted:

There will be some good rivalries in the future wrestling-centric Big Ten: Oklahoma State, Iowa, Iowa State, Oklahoma, Penn State, Minnesota, Ohio State, Arizona State, Michigan State, Indiana

Sorry Lehigh, you ain't never getting in. Not a big enough television market...

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

PostNouveau posted:

Yeah but I'm pretty sure Iowa State is a wrestling only member of the Big 12.

Basketball and wrestling affiliate.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

MourningView posted:

Tears well up in the eyes of the Rutgers president as he proudly unveils a New York Television Market statue outside the stadium

Rutgers Fightin' Nielsons.

dirty shrimp money
Jan 8, 2001

KIM JONG TRILL posted:

AP Poll Appearances:
Houston - 184
Iowa State - 40

Average AP Poll Rank:
Houston - 13.8
Iowa State - 17.7

Best AP Rank:
Houston - 2
Iowa State - 9

Houston - 11
Iowa State - 2

Heisman Winners:
Houston - 1
Iowa State - 0

Consensus All Americans:
Houston - 18
Iowa State - 3

Last 10 years vs P5:
Houston - (16-15 ) .516

Should I go on?

Years Playing Football -
Houston - 69
Iowa State - 123

5* Recruits -
Houston - 2
Iowa State - 0

Last Conference Title -
Houston - 2015
Iowa State - 1912

Appearances in Final AP Poll -
Houston - 18
Iowa State - 2

Basketball Final Fours -
Houston - 5
Iowa State - 1

NBA Players drafted -
Houston - 43
Iowa State - 36

NBA Hall of Famers -
Houston - 3
Iowa State - 0

Total Team National Championships -
Houston - 17
Iowa State - 13

Acceptance Rate -
Houston - 58
Iowa State - 87

Interstates Passing Next to Campus -
Houston - 45
Iowa State - 35

Area Code -
Houston - 713
Iowa State - 515

On-Campus Chick-Fil-As -
Houston - 2
Iowa State - 0

JesustheDarkLord
May 22, 2006

#VolsDeep
Lipstick Apathy
Anecdotally, Memphis has a pretty good fan base in the greater Memphis area. I spent three years there for law school and was a minority within the city as a Tennessee fan. I was not a minority in any other sense and in Memphis that is pretty significant.

Dr_Strangelove
Dec 16, 2003

Mein Fuhrer! THEY WON!

Korranus posted:

On-Campus Chick-Fil-As -
Houston - 2
Iowa State - 0

Not having Gay-Hatin' Chicken on campus is a big win for ISU.

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO
I think this video makes pretty decent case for inviting BYU and Memphis.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mdkJhdToTsg

Make it an annual tradition, along with this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kU7D5bhJZDA

Then invite Michigan and Ohio State to join the Big Brawl Conference:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HuoIgEw3fLw

Wanvig
Sep 8, 2003

Korranus posted:

Area Code -
Houston - 713
Iowa State - 515

On-Campus Chick-Fil-As -
Houston - 2
Iowa State - 0

Brb, emailing this to Bowlsby

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Texas just got a second on-campus Chick-fil-a a few years ago, and has a third within walking distance from campus.

They're also getting a Taco Bell that serves alcohol sometime in the next year or two, the third of its kind in the whole US. This is like a year after their on-campus Taco Bell got torn down and replaced by a salad place (:lol:), and several years after another Taco Bell just off campus got replaced by a Whataburger.

Kim Jong Il
Aug 16, 2003

JesustheDarkLord posted:

Anecdotally, Memphis has a pretty good fan base in the greater Memphis area. I spent three years there for law school and was a minority within the city as a Tennessee fan. I was not a minority in any other sense and in Memphis that is pretty significant.

Meat Market and The Blind Side (which is actually a great read, the movie butchered it) make Memphis sound like an Ole Miss town.

JesustheDarkLord
May 22, 2006

#VolsDeep
Lipstick Apathy
It's not. Relatively few black people like Ole Miss very much for some reason and Memphis is pretty black.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

JesustheDarkLord posted:

Relatively few black people like Ole Miss very much for some reason

Gee I wonder why.

HOTLANTA MAN
Jul 4, 2010

by Hand Knit
Lipstick Apathy
I know an Arab guy who's in a fraternity at Ole Miss (I don't know which one) and I'm still surprised he isn't dead yet.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

KIM JONG TRILL posted:

Those little pieces of the East still amount to more people than the big chunks of the West though. There are roughly 2 million people in the Cincinnati and Orlando areas, and 3 million in the entire state of Utah. Sure going West gets you more area, but it doesn't really get you more people, and people is where the money is at. Unless we're going to go all the way to California, there really is no money going into most of the mountain states.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Those little pieces of the East still amount to more people than the big chunks of the West though. There are roughly 2 million people in the Cincinnati and Orlando areas, and 3 million in the entire state of Utah. Sure going West gets you more area, but it doesn't really get you more people, and people is where the money is at. Unless we're going to go all the way to California, there really is no money going into most of the mountain states.

The programs out west probably get you more people actually watching they games though, and almost certainly have more upside on that front. The raw population numbers are only going to matter in the extremely unlikely scenario that the Big 12 actually gets a conference network off the ground.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Those little pieces of the East still amount to more people than the big chunks of the West though. There are roughly 2 million people in the Cincinnati and Orlando areas

Of which only like 1.9 million are Ohio State or Florida fans, respectively.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

MourningView posted:

Sure, but presumably expansion would be about getting a conference network started. And that's all about subscribers, not viewers.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

I'd assume BYU is really popular in areas beyond Utah while UCF or Cincy struggle to be the most popular in their own cities. Thoguh makes a good point that it's about subscribers and not viewers. If the future conference network could be ordered separately or in a sports pass, BYU could still maybe cause more subscribers. (but this is a big stretch so probably not.)

Spacebump fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Jul 28, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nystral
Feb 6, 2002

MourningView posted:

EXCUSE ME!!!

it's only like 1.5 million UF fans, :colbert: with 300K or so FSU fans, and 150K Miami Fans.

• Locked thread