Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

mandatory lesbian posted:

man it is so random which lands are legendary and which aren't, like even in SOI and EDM the cathedral that summons Ohrmendahl is not legendary, but the random hospital that can draw a card then discard is

I believe the flavor logic is that some unique lands can accommodate multiple mana bonds and others can't. Although this doesn't make much sense for something like Svogthos, the Restless Tomb (unless the tomb is so restless that it contains multiple enormous plant zombies).

In the case of Geier Reach Sanitarium, they probably made it legendary as a callback to Mikokoro, Center of the Sea.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:

Establish the Buns

Death Bot posted:

yeah unfortunately the only recourse a customer has is to either stop buying (y'all are addicts though) or to express distaste.

until we hear about an mtgo being built from the ground up all we can assume is that every decision getting made is some kind of continued mistake.

i guess the alternative is to whine about it in a reddit thread or whatever but i'm sure they know by now, right?

For the record I do not spend money on MTGO

DangerDongs
Nov 7, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Is it safe to assume that if I Eldrazi Displacer blink an opponents Spell Queller that has one of my spells trapped away, that it will leave play, put my card on the stack, and simply reenter to counter it again?

Also what happens if you blink your own Spell Queller as it is entering play with Displacer; permanently exiled?

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

DangerDongs posted:

Is it safe to assume that if I Eldrazi Displacer blink an opponents Spell Queller that has one of my spells trapped away, that it will leave play, put my card on the stack, and simply reenter to counter it again?

Nope! What actually happens is that the spell queller gets blinked, and then your opponent has to put both triggers on the stack (the leaves-play trigger from the old one, and the enters-play trigger from the new one). They can't actually put the enters-play trigger on the stack, since there are no legal targets, so it just goes away. Then the leaves-play trigger will resolve, and you'll get to cast your spell.

It's even better if you blink it in response to your opponent casting a spell - because now there is a target for the enters-play ability. And since queller is mandatory, you end up countering their spell while getting yours back.

quote:

Also what happens if you blink your own Spell Queller as it is entering play with Displacer; permanently exiled?

If there's only the one eligible spell, unfortunately not. Since it's mandatory, you have to counter something with the enters-play ability from the new spell queller, instead of leaving it for the old one to counter. If there are two spells on the stack at the same time, though, you can exile one permanently and leave the other one under your spell queller.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

DangerDongs posted:

Here is what I THINK happens in Situation A: the spell returns and isn't countered. This is why I think this happens - SQ's exile trigger on the stack requires a legal target to be put on the stack and the LTB can't actually go on the stack until Eldrazi Displacer's ability finishes resolving. When ED's blink ability finishes resolving, the controller of SQ would put the LTB and the ETB on the stack in whatever order they want, but the ETB requires a legal target to be put on the stack and the spell that was previously exiled won't exist until the LTB resolves and gives its owner the option to cast it.

Situation B: I don't think this works. The Spell Queller will return to play and its new (second) trigger will resolve before the first trigger can resolve which will fizzle the original trigger. The stack will be [Spell], SQ Trigger 1, SQ Trigger 2. Unless there's a second spell on the stack for the second trigger to taget, the second instance of the Exile trigger will exile the spell and the first will fizzle.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
What happens to the spell under Queller if its controller declines to cast it? Does it remain in exile attached to Spell Queller? Can you potentially end up with multiple spells under one Queller if you flicker and decline to cast?

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Voyager I posted:

What happens to the spell under Queller if its controller declines to cast it? Does it remain in exile attached to Spell Queller? Can you potentially end up with multiple spells under one Queller if you flicker and decline to cast?

If you flicker it, it's an entirely new thing. The spell it was previously exiling has absolutely no relation to the new spell queller.

The only way to get multiple spells under a spell queller is if you use Strionic Resonator to copy the enters-play trigger.

Samael
Oct 16, 2012

Finally managed to test my kiki chord deck with eldritch evolution and the card is very good, if not broken in some way. Being able to evolution dead cards on board such as a wall of omens, voice of resurgence or eternal witness into your combo pieces/silver bullets have been very useful in matchups where previously been difficult to beat (such as t2 Eidolon of Rhetoric against my ad nauseum player G2, who scooped as he no way of answering that).
Not sure what the card actually replaces because the list is pretty tight (the 4 colour ones especially), personally I'm using this list- http://mtgtop8.com/event?e=12821&d=274435&f=MO but with -1 Path to Exile, -1 Lone Missionary, -1 Restoration Angel, +3 Eldritch Evolution.
If anyone else is playing this deck or similar, I would like to hear your thoughts on the card in this type of deck and where it could shine because on preliminary testing it's been chord 5-8, if not better which is what the deck really needed to compete with the T1 decks in modern.

uninverted
Nov 10, 2011
Jeff Hoogland played the card in an elves shell with allosaurus rider. With the right draw it can put Elesh Norn or Iona on the battlefield turn two, but failing that it has all the typical elves cards to win by just making a lot of mana and dumping creatures on the table.

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007

uninverted posted:

Jeff Hoogland played the card in an elves shell with allosaurus rider. With the right draw it can put Elesh Norn or Iona on the battlefield turn two, but failing that it has all the typical elves cards to win by just making a lot of mana and dumping creatures on the table.

Welp, now I need to get 3 more of that.

DangerDongs
Nov 7, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Jabor posted:

Nope! What actually happens is that the spell queller gets blinked, and then your opponent has to put both triggers on the stack (the leaves-play trigger from the old one, and the enters-play trigger from the new one). They can't actually put the enters-play trigger on the stack, since there are no legal targets, so it just goes away. Then the leaves-play trigger will resolve, and you'll get to cast your spell.

It's even better if you blink it in response to your opponent casting a spell - because now there is a target for the enters-play ability. And since queller is mandatory, you end up countering their spell while getting yours back.

Why weren't any of the Bant players playing Displacer. It seems like such amazing tech in the mirror if this is the case.

Molybdenum
Jun 25, 2007
Melting Point ~2622C

uninverted posted:

That T2 line of play requires a perfect 7 of 8 or 9 cards and gets you 4 for 1d by mana leak, spell pierce, shadow of doubt, etc. Even turn 1 bolt the mana dork puts you behind.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

ThePeavstenator posted:

I'm not blaming the developers themselves. I know what it's like to work on a legacy system. It also isn't my (the customer's) problem that a piece of software is hard to fix, especially because that piece of software is the property of a multi-million dollar corporation. Similarly, when I go to work and am in the developer's seat, I don't whine when I have to work on lovely code that someone else wrote poorly years before me.

I don't have a beef with WotC devs. I have a beef with WotC.
The interview that Marshall Sutcliffe did with Jon Loucks about modo a couple years ago is definitely worth a listen if you're interested in why it's so broken. http://www.the1for1.com/uncategorized/the-1-for-1-inaugural-episode/

Death Bot
Mar 4, 2007

Binary killing machines, turning 1 into 0 since 0011000100111001 0011011100110110
I might double back and listen after work but does he day anything other than "we took some shortcuts way back when, years of working around these has made the only real solutions adding more shortcuts or scrapping everything and starting over and we can't get approved for more money" ?

Tonetta
Jul 9, 2013

look mother look at ME MOTHER MOTHER I AM A HOMESTIXK NOW

**methodically removes and eats own clothes*
So who all got caught cheating in the last year?

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

Tonetta posted:

Frank Lepore

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

Establish the Buns

Tonetta posted:

Fabrizio Anteri

Drider-Man
Jan 30, 2007

Drider-Man, Drider-Man
Does some things that a drider can.
Can he swing from a web?
Ask your DM

:iceburn:

Was there ever any follow up with that?

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Death Bot posted:

I might double back and listen after work but does he day anything other than "we took some shortcuts way back when, years of working around these has made the only real solutions adding more shortcuts or scrapping everything and starting over and we can't get approved for more money" ?

He mostly talks about how it's different from a lot of other digital products because they're so completely beholden to the paper product through set redemption and having to meet the 4-set-a-year release schedule. All their resources go toward meeting set deadlines which means new features and improvements tend not to happen and they're locked into a lot of things that would be very difficult to change.

His main suggestion was that Wizards Digital should be spun off into a separate studio with more resources.

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

:bustem:

Was he at least able to get it downgraded to a caution.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.
Magic Story

Jace plays a game of chess with Emrakul. Liliana has super Chain Veil powers.

Emrakul dies for reasons.

Tonetta
Jul 9, 2013

look mother look at ME MOTHER MOTHER I AM A HOMESTIXK NOW

**methodically removes and eats own clothes*
Just 2 cheaters outed? I know about more than 2 at the lgs (pastimes) that nobody would do anything about last I checked. A shame.

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

Establish the Buns

Tonetta posted:

Just 2 cheaters outed? I know about more than 2 at the lgs (pastimes) that nobody would do anything about last I checked. A shame.

Fabrizio Anteri actually cheated and was busted for mana weaving.

Frank Lepore cheated on his SO.

Lets Pickle
Jul 9, 2007

The Emrakul story wraps up, but with an interesting twist.

TL;DR version:
Emrakul arrives, sending out waves of power that knock the Gatewatch unconscious, except for Jace who has an emergency backup spell that keeps him and them alive but he gets sucked into his own mind. Liliana decides to fight Emrakul using the Chain Veil despite the warnings of the Raven Man and the Veil itself. She throw zombies and death magic at Emrakul and appears to have the upper hand for a minute but is quickly outmatched.
Jace descends a staircase in his own mind, seeing what Gideon, Tamiyo, Chandra, and Nissa are going through in their heads, before meeting his own mental representation of Emrakul and playing chess with it. He wins so Emrakul basically flips the game board and goes home. The Gatewatch wakes up and Tamiyo says they can trap Emrakul in the moon, she has a scroll-spell for it. Nissa and Tamiyo try to do it but the spell is about to fail so Tamiyo takes out one of her iron-barred scrolls and uses that, and Emrakul is trapped in the moon, hooray. Liliana joins the gatewatch, thinking about how nice it will be to have friends doing her bidding instead of zombies. Jace meets up with Tamiyo, who is hysterical and distraught, saying that Emrakul took over her body while using the forbidden scroll. Moreover, that scroll was supposed to be a spell of plane-destruction, not of trapping Emrakul in the moon; the scroll had been altered somehow by Emrakul. Tamiyo wonders if this is all Emrakul's plan and they didn't actually do anything.

Alaan
May 24, 2005

Apparently Tamiyo has access to planar cleansing or collapse!

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Lets Pickle posted:

The Emrakul story wraps up, but with an interesting twist.

TL;DR version:
Emrakul arrives, sending out waves of power that knock the Gatewatch unconscious, except for Jace who has an emergency backup spell that keeps him and them alive but he gets sucked into his own mind. Liliana decides to fight Emrakul using the Chain Veil despite the warnings of the Raven Man and the Veil itself. She throw zombies and death magic at Emrakul and appears to have the upper hand for a minute but is quickly outmatched.
Jace descends a staircase in his own mind, seeing what Gideon, Tamiyo, Chandra, and Nissa are going through in their heads, before meeting his own mental representation of Emrakul and playing chess with it. He wins so Emrakul basically flips the game board and goes home. The Gatewatch wakes up and Tamiyo says they can trap Emrakul in the moon, she has a scroll-spell for it. Nissa and Tamiyo try to do it but the spell is about to fail so Tamiyo takes out one of her iron-barred scrolls and uses that, and Emrakul is trapped in the moon, hooray. Liliana joins the gatewatch, thinking about how nice it will be to have friends doing her bidding instead of zombies. Jace meets up with Tamiyo, who is hysterical and distraught, saying that Emrakul took over her body while using the forbidden scroll. Moreover, that scroll was supposed to be a spell of plane-destruction, not of trapping Emrakul in the moon; the scroll had been altered somehow by Emrakul. Tamiyo wonders if this is all Emrakul's plan and they didn't actually do anything.

Time for my master plan! TAMIYO! PUT ME IN THE MOON!

Lets Pickle
Jul 9, 2007

There's more to it than just that, while Emrakul is in Jace's head she implies that the world is supposed to be more prepared for her arrival than Innistrad is. Whether this is due to the absence of Ulamog/Kozilek or Nahiri manipulating the plane's mana to look more enticing to Emrakul is unknown.

Nighthand
Nov 4, 2009

what horror the gas

The best part of the plot is that Jace has to deal with a version of Brain!Jace that knows more than he does. Which means Jace gets to experience and be annoyed by how insufferable Jace is.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Count Bleck posted:

Time for my master plan! TAMIYO! PUT ME IN THE MOON!

This is not that far off from what happened. Basically Emrakul talks to Jace and tells him its TOO SOON and she locks herself in the moon as a sequel hook.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Hang on.

So since Emrakul is saying TOO SOON, does that mean Ulamog and Kozilek need to do things before Emrakul can finish up the job?

Was Ugin RIGHT?

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

I normally don't care about Jace but that summary makes him unsufferable. He has an Angel's Grace in his back pocket despite being a blue Mage, and then beats a cosmic entity in a game of chess. Lolwut

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Angry Grimace posted:

Magic Story

Jace plays a game of chess with Emrakul. Liliana has super Chain Veil powers.

Emrakul dies for reasons.

you forgot the best part, where Jace increasingly gets annoyed at how smug he is

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Shadow225 posted:

I normally don't care about Jace but that summary makes him unsufferable. He has an Angel's Grace in his back pocket despite being a blue Mage, and then beats a cosmic entity in a game of chess. Lolwut

Of all the things to groan about, planeswalkers having access to other colors isn't really one of them. Wasn't it mentioned a while back that all walkers are inherently 5 color. They just each have their own alignment preferrences?

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Tingle tingle kooloo limpah.
These are my magic words.

Don't steal them.

AlternateNu posted:

Of all the things to groan about, planeswalkers having access to other colors isn't really one of them. Wasn't it mentioned a while back that all walkers are inherently 5 color. They just each have their own alignment preferrences?

Oldwalkers like Urza and Teferi were inherently 5 color with a preference (blue in both cases,) newwalkers have color limitations.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Shadow225 posted:

he didn't actually beat her, the cosmic entity was just doing that for funsies

also i'm guessing the whole "i'm not ready thing" emrakul had going on is why she was just toying with the only beings that could actually talk to her without going crazy, it must be hard to have conversation when you're an immortal eldritch god that turns everything living into a mindless mass

all she wants is a friend...

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
i hope to god this subplot ends with emrakul joining the gatewatch, is what i'm saying

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

mandatory lesbian posted:

you forgot the best part, where Jace increasingly gets annoyed at how smug he is

No the actual best part was Jace tilting super hard when emrakul made the chess pieces come to life or w/e

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

...on the plus side I'm feeling much more angry now than I expected so this totally helps me get in character.
Jace getting repeatedly Jace'd was pretty funny.

Death Bot
Mar 4, 2007

Binary killing machines, turning 1 into 0 since 0011000100111001 0011011100110110

Angry Grimace posted:

This is not that far off from what happened. Basically Emrakul talks to Jace and tells him its TOO SOON and she locks herself in the moon as a sequel hook.

The gang comes back to find out that the moon crashed into Innistrad, and we get post-apocalyptic horror plane with some obvious fallout refs. Wasteland is reprinted.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

I thought it wasn't Emrakul, it was just Jace's mind manifesting a version of Emrakul he could talk and relate to? She even said that she couldn't really notice any of the Gatewatch individually.

It's pretty clear though that Emrakul deliberately trapped herself in the moon. Possible that, as the largest and most powerful Titan, she needs a LOT of mana and only some worlds suffice. Innistrad wasn't ready for her and she wouldn't have shown up there at all except for Nahiri messing with the ley lines. The process of summoning Emrakul was incredibly long and difficult and drawn-out, requiring months of effort and an extremely complex and thorough plan. Zendikar was famously rich in mana, maybe Innistrad just isn't rich enough. So Emrakul rearranges a powerful spell to store her in the moon until Innistrad is ready for her to come back.

• Locked thread