Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

K. Waste posted:

The more I think about it, the more I hope that "Go get it, girl" line is really in Suicide Squad.

They posted an extended clip where she does literally go get something by teleportation so this is likely. It wasn't just a sassy one liner or whatever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Even in context the line seems disturbingly ambiguous, like half "woo yeah girl power, show them boys what you got" and half "I've got this ancient magical power on a leash, look how she does my bidding". It's perfect Waller, playing all the angles, all the time.

McSpanky fucked around with this message at 06:15 on Jul 27, 2016

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

This is Katana. It means Japanese sword.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

My Lovely Horse posted:

This is Katana. It means Japanese sword.

drat keikaku* popping up everywhere on the forums it seems

*keikaku means plan

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U7eU_VnCFbk

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

TetsuoTW posted:

I'm willing to give Courtney the benefit of the doubt here. He gets to take the leash off of his Australianism instead of investing half his brain into sounding American, so there's a shot he'll be better as a result.

The shot of him sneaking a beer is pretty much the only footage from the advertising I've liked

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.
Jai Courtney just isn't an actor who can make hay out of boring-rear end roles. That being said, when he's given something interesting to do he seems to be fun.

Perhaps a hamster
Jun 15, 2010

LesterGroans posted:

Jai Courtney just isn't an actor who can make hay out of boring-rear end roles. That being said, when he's given something interesting to do he seems to be fun.
Yeah, the beer sneaking and the 'Ooh, fire' bit pretty much sold him for me already. Crazy drunken hobo with a shotgun boomerang man nailed.

breadshaped
Apr 1, 2010

Soiled Meat
Nerdwriter1 talking about how the fundamental flaw with DCU films isn't the tone but Zac Sneider's unearned "moments".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=38Cy_Qlh7VM

breadshaped fucked around with this message at 16:35 on Jul 27, 2016

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Bedshaped posted:

Nerdwriter1 talking about how the fundamental flaw with DCU films isn't the tone but Zac Snider's unearned "moments".

https://youtu.be/38Cy_Qlh7VM

That video seems primarily focused on BvS but I'm curious what parts of Man of Steel are "unearned" (unless they mean something like "Clark didn't have a happy childhood, therefore his sense to do good is unearned").

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

computer parts posted:

That video seems primarily focused on BvS but I'm curious what parts of Man of Steel are "unearned" (unless they mean something like "Clark didn't have a happy childhood, therefore his sense to do good is unearned").

I thought MoS was pretty decent, but the tornado scene has a dramatic score and the camera lingers on Clark's distraught face and I felt that I just didn't care that Pa Kent died because the whole premise of his death was ridiculous and a ham-fisted way of teaching a lesson.

Also, snapping Zod's neck didn't feel impactful at all. It is played up as a huge painful moment for Clark with a long "Noooooooooo!" afterwards, but nothing in the movie really built up to it. The world engine scenes prior to the killing make it all but explicit that he was going to kill Zod one way or the other. It just didn't have "oomph" for me.

I felt that the first time Clark flies is handled really well, but almost every other scene where the movie goes "THIS IS SAD" or "THIS IS IMPORTANT" kind of fell flat.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

Bedshaped posted:

Nerdwriter1 talking about how the fundamental flaw with DCU films isn't the tone but Zac Sneider's unearned "moments".

https://youtu.be/38Cy_Qlh7VM

Why do all these reddit idiots always have numbers in their username.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.
Same tired bullshit about shot and scene length, same groveling fantasy about this esoteric idea of 'true' or 'living' or 'breathing' art or whatever, boiling down to the same asinine complaints.

"The Daily Planet doesn't feel like a real/living/breathing place, it's only on screen for 5 minutes and it's only ever conscripted to support some thematic point!"

Meanwhile, the Daily Planet being fictitious is a mute point, that 5 minutes of screen time is actually a very economic use of 1/30th of your total screen-time, and all movies are, in fact, merely conscripting artifice to support a thesis. The movie is not bad simply because it makes these thing apparent to you, and there is no apparent or divine difference between these 'superficial moments' and 'the real thing.' You made it up, like God and Santa Claus. You are alone in the universe and actually must interpret rather than misdirecting to some mythic, psychic channel between your perverted, voyeuristic gaze and the heavenly artist.

The point isn't even that Batman v Superman is bad. It's just this recursive, reactionary defense of fawning, consumerist nonsense. If you're paying attention, this is exactly the sort of mythical bullshit that the Oscars uses to vainly try and convince people that The King's Speech is a better film than The Social Network.

edit: Also, el-oh-loving-el at using the god drat Searchers as a contrast point. It feels so real, this white supremacist fantasy!

breadshaped
Apr 1, 2010

Soiled Meat

K. Waste posted:

Same tired bullshit about shot and scene length, same groveling fantasy about this esoteric idea of 'true' or 'living' or 'breathing' art or whatever, boiling down to the same asinine complaints.

"The Daily Planet doesn't feel like a real/living/breathing place, it's only on screen for 5 minutes and it's only ever conscripted to support some thematic point!"

Meanwhile, the Daily Planet being fictitious is a mute point, that 5 minutes of screen time is actually a very economic use of 1/30th of your total screen-time, and all movies are, in fact, merely conscripting artifice to support a thesis. The movie is not bad simply because it makes these thing apparent to you, and there is no apparent or divine difference between these 'superficial moments' and 'the real thing.' You made it up, like God and Santa Claus. You are alone in the universe and actually must interpret rather than misdirecting to some mythic, psychic channel between your perverted, voyeuristic gaze and the heavenly artist.

The point isn't even that Batman v Superman is bad. It's just this recursive, reactionary defense of fawning, consumerist nonsense. If you're paying attention, this is exactly the sort of mythical bullshit that the Oscars uses to vainly try and convince people that The King's Speech is a better film than The Social Network.

edit: Also, el-oh-loving-el at using the god drat Searchers as a contrast point. It feels so real, this white supremacist fantasy!

I wish I was as smart as you.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

K. Waste posted:

out of curiosity is this actually your take on The Searchers

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Bedshaped posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=38Cy_Qlh7VM

Haven't checked the video yet (at work), but the dude is usually pretty good. Check out his video on LotR's score.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

out of curiosity is this actually your take on The Searchers

It's important to not let the apparent ambivalence with which Ford frames Edwards in order to appreciate the ways in which the film still fundamentally sublimates the mythic, historical forces he represents. The Searchers is only 'revisionist' in the sense that it adapts this emphatic anti-hero to a context where, yes, miscegenation is inevitable, and no modern America could ever be 'pure white.' But considering Edwards' un-sanctimonious rejection of allegiance to the Texas Rangers as a former Confederate, and the pre-eminence of how his unilaterally anti-miscegenist attitude informs the mania and tension of the plot, it's appropriate to consider the film as fundamentally in continuity with Stagecoach and other cinematic works which have similarly attempted to stabilize the reconciliation between whites after the Civil War using the intractable cultural and ethno-national opposition with the non-white Other.

Ultimately, Edwards, because he is aligned with Scar, is compelled to recede into the background of history so that the raptured Debbie and her family can carry on into the ambivalent, unforeseen circumstances of the future. But it's not at all ambiguous as to which ethno-national movement this scenario favors. Ostensibly, the problem with Edwards racism is that it threatens to destabilize the progressive fulfillment of Manifest Destiny.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

MonsieurChoc posted:

Haven't checked the video yet (at work), but the dude is usually pretty good. Check out his video on LotR's score.

Nerdwriter's thesis is that Zack Snyder is 'obsessive' - obsessed with trying to broadcast only 'awesomeness'. There is no other meaning in any of his films. However, according to Nerdwriter, Snyder fails at his goal of making meaningless films because meaning keeps sneaking in.

Nerdwriter complains that there is no characterization, then complains that the films are loaded with the characters' dream sequences and flashbacks. (He also complains that Snyder puts too much emphasis on the actors' performances). It seems like a contradiction.

The discrepancy comes from 'my immersion!' Nerdwriter puts forward a strange definition of 'scene' as, effectively, 'a sequence that generates immersion', then uses this as the basis to claim 'there are no scenes in any Zack Snyder film'.

Of course, we can easily talk about the scene where Bruce Wayne hits on Diana at the art gallery. Or the scene where Clark climbs a mountain and remembers his father. Because they are scenes, and this is stupid.

SuperMechagodzilla fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Jul 27, 2016

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

quote:

You made it up, like God and Santa Claus.

Oh my god someone's been breaking into my house every year

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

Nerdwriter complains that there is no characterization,

I saw a potshot like this in a recent, I think it was probably an AV Club article with a big laundry list of their favorite movies of the first half of the year, and they called Civil War something like "the same movie as Batman v Superman, but with characters". Which, how the heck do you single that out as your offhand burn on Snyder, unless like... your entire concept of characterization is glib, peppy charisma

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

Jenny Angel posted:

I saw a potshot like this in a recent, I think it was probably an AV Club article with a big laundry list of their favorite movies of the first half of the year, and they called Civil War something like "the same movie as Batman v Superman, but with characters". Which, how the heck do you single that out as your offhand burn on Snyder, unless like... your entire concept of characterization is glib, peppy charisma

The Onion > Clickhole >>>>>>>>> Avclub >> Starwipe

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

MonsieurChoc posted:

What are his thoughts on the LoTR score?

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Hat Thoughts posted:

The Onion > Clickhole >>>>>>>>> Avclub >> Starwipe

They definitely have interns working on Starwipe.

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy
It definitely feels the least essential out of their network, like what the hell's even on Starwipe that couldn't be on Clickhole or on those Onion morning show videos

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
Starwipe feels like a trashy gossip website so imo it's achieving its goal.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Vintersorg posted:

What are his thoughts on the LoTR score?

He thinks it's great and he shows the subtle ways it follows the plot (like the fellowship theme being broken like the fellowship itself). Watch it and see for yourself.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

computer parts posted:

Starwipe feels like a trashy gossip website so imo it's achieving its goal.

Sure, but why not just get the real deal from OK! Magazine

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Sure, but why not just get the real deal

This also applies to clickhole imo.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Jenny Angel posted:

In the case of Nerdwriter, it's because he defines 'characterization' as 'settings'.

SuperMechagodzilla fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Jul 27, 2016

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

MacheteZombie posted:

This also applies to clickhole imo.

Clickhole has a lot of funny original content.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:

diegetically

In the case of Nerdwriter, it's because he defines 'characterization' as 'settings'.

Nerdwriter treats constructs like women, man.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
Also, Civil War used its dead mom point as a result of a "twist" they revealed to you in the scene immediately prior, as opposed to BvS which built up to it over the course of the entire movie - but Snyder doesn't "earn his moments."

Civil War uses it to incite violence in its villain where BvS uses it to quell it - but BvS is "dour."

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

How do we think Adrienne Palicki feels about actually being Wonder Woman then dumped in light of Gal Gadot's success?

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

The alternate Jaws theme is one of the funniest things I've seen, especially when they sync it to the movie.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Josh Lyman posted:

How do we think Adrienne Palicki feels about actually being Wonder Woman then dumped in light of Gal Gadot's success?

I think she's grateful that pilot never aired.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

Pirate Jet posted:

Also, Civil War used its dead mom point as a result of a "twist" they revealed to you in the scene immediately prior, as opposed to BvS which built up to it over the course of the entire movie - but Snyder doesn't "earn his moments."

Civil War uses it to incite violence in its villain where BvS uses it to quell it - but BvS is "dour."

Just lol, if you think the Martha scene was well-written.

Even Ben Affleck said it could have been handled better. If you want to defend BvS, then that's fine. But picking the Martha hill to die on is the weirdest choice.

Brainiac Five
Mar 28, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Even Ben Affleck said it could have been handled better. If you want to defend BvS, then that's fine. But picking the Martha hill to die on is the weirdest choice.

Wait, you said "just lol"... But then wrote after that! What the heck is going on here?

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

It was a decent scene of a weirdo aristocrat breaking down while trying to murder a man.

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

"5 Disney Princesses Reimagined As Caucasian" is hilarious and I'll hear nothing to the contrary.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep

Nerdwriter's thesis is that Zack Snyder is 'obsessive' - obsessed with trying to broadcast only 'awesomeness'. There is no other meaning in any of his films. However, according to Nerdwriter, Snyder fails at his goal of making meaningless films because meaning keeps sneaking in.

Nerdwriter complains that there is no characterization, then complains that the films are loaded with the characters' dream sequences and flashbacks. (He also complains that Snyder puts too much emphasis on the actors' performances). It seems like a contradiction.

The discrepancy comes from 'my immersion!' Nerdwriter puts forward a strange definition of 'scene' as, effectively, 'a sequence that generates immersion', then uses this as the basis to claim 'there are no scenes in any Zack Snyder film'.

Of course, we can easily talk about the scene where Bruce Wayne hits on Diana at the art gallery. Or the scene where Clark climbs a mountain and remembers his father. Because they are scenes, and this is stupid.

So, his complains that there is no characterization and then dismisses the moments in the film that give out buckets of characterization.

Also, why would he make up a definition for 'scene' when an official one already exists? 'A part of a play, movie, story, etc in which a particular action or activity occurs.'

It's okay for people not to like BVS, but holy poo poo making up definitions for known words to jam your square opinion through a triangular critique hole is just going too far. Words mean things for god's sake.

• Locked thread