Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

poo poo. Weird page snype.

It's been a few months since I've played and all of the stickers I "invested" in have plummeted in price. What the gently caress gives?! Childrens aren't buying stupid poo poo en masse anymore?!

Tevery Best posted:

So my friends are in the low point of the Counter-Strike cycle. Their form is poor, they can't get the kills. I used to be able to at least keep the game competitive, because I was at the peak, but as of late my ISP started really making GBS threads the bed and I keep getting 50%+ packet loss spikes. Everyone on the team is salty as hell and angry.

So today I found out that the pre-school that's being built next door had fibre optic cable hooked up. Thrilled, I rush to order it and say goodbye to the lovely internet I've been forced into since forever...

...only to find out that yes, the pre-school can get fibre, and everyone around it can get fibre too, but my house, which is 600 metres away, can't even get cable DSL :suicide:

If you call the company a bunch of times you honestly might be able to convince them to lay more cable for people in the community. Unfortunately for you that'll probably mean a couple of hours on the phone just hoping you get connected to the right person. Otherwise you can just send a lot of emails (and convince your neighbors to) to their customer service email requesting it.

The ISP hardware on our block was upgraded (from poo poo tier) because a lot of us kept calling and complaining.

fennesz fucked around with this message at 05:38 on Jul 27, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stump collector
May 28, 2007
gambling died

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

exethan posted:

gambling died
Phantoml0rd cried.

stump collector
May 28, 2007

symbolic posted:

Phantoml0rd cried.

hopefully he also dies

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

exethan posted:

gambling died

My 7 dollars :negative:

surc
Aug 17, 2004

Smithereens posted:

you should try to find some pals to play with so you can 4-5 queue. alternatively find a healthier hobby with nice salt of the earth people such as hiking or crotchet. most online video gaming communities are toxic af

Or, I dunno, maybe people should stop being toxic shits, because it is a bad way to interact with other people, and instead of either handwaving it away as just something to put up with, or actively encouraging it, people should try and develop the community to not be full of toxic shits because that is how you get communities to not be full of toxic shits. :confused:

MF_James posted:

Yeah people seem to complain about X/y/Z communities being REALLY TOXIC, but uhh EVERY community is like this from what I see.

"Man I hate that people are being toxic"
"Uhhh actually a lot of people are being toxic, from what I see"
:confused::confused::confused:

surc fucked around with this message at 06:59 on Jul 27, 2016

Up Circle
Apr 3, 2008
wat

Rite Of Massage
Aug 16, 2005

surc posted:

Or, I dunno, maybe people should stop being toxic shits, because it is a bad way to interact with other people, and instead of either handwaving it away as just something to put up with, or actively encouraging it, people should try and develop the community to not be full of toxic shits because that is how you get communities to not be full of toxic shits. :confused:

"no one man [could] have all that power" - me

pulling some ghandi poo poo isn't gonna keep every kid and adult child from hurling insults and getting upset with you. love the idealistic angle, but in practice there is no way you are gonna even a sizable minority of the playerbase from being lovely because of the anonymity of the internet and the nature of the game. the real truth is that there will most likely be someone on your team (if you don't 5 stack) that will actively attempt to upset you for any reason: for funsie or because he/she thinks your just bad or you slighted them in some unbeknownst way or they just felt like it. instead of waiting for the whole world to change, maybe limit your parameters to "4 other people who don't actively sabatoge the game for schadefreude fun that i can play with"

just my 2centz

i wish you luck on changing the whole of the counter-strike community through example.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

^--- first of all, what he said is right

surc posted:

Also, my post was apparently missing some words because I was typing fast while at work or something.

People say CSGO/MOBA/NotTheOneTrueFPS community is the worst, they are all equally bad, accept it and move on.

nftyw
Dec 27, 2006

It is a game... where you will put your life on the line.
Lipstick Apathy
I don't play comp usually but a friend was in a room and invited me to a game a month or so ago, it was with three young kids or whatever but they would joke around and were pretty cool even when I flicked and unleashed my mad P250 headshot skills on their dome accidentally for a sweet TK, oops. I played two games and we won both games, though I did see people on the other team get voted off or whatever. Some people just can't handle losing like, at all, I guess.

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

"Thus," concluded Miyamoto, "you must give up everything you have to be my disciple."

exethan posted:

gambling died

I just realized CSGOlounge hasn't even put out a statement yet and they're gonna have to shut down in 4 (?) days along with everyone else.

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Flirting With Apathetic Waitresses Since 1984
Bottom-fragging children on my team get mad when I tell them to stop talking/yelling and then they say I'm old :/

Depths
Apr 15, 2009

SENPAI

Some bullshit caught on tape

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

The Joe Man posted:

Bottom-fragging children on my team get mad when I tell them to stop talking/yelling and then they say I'm old :/

you should relax old man

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.
I've been playing soothing hymns and choral music over voice comms while reading appropriate Bible passages. I like to think I'm bringing a little of God's light into one of our darkest places.

Frida Call Me
Sep 28, 2001

Boy, you gotta carry that weight
Carry that weight a long time
Help the 15 year olds on my team take the opportunity to talk loudly and give lovely advice while they're dead and I'm clutching. What can I do to best help this issue?

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
I can see a clearer, vision
I should start living today
Clapping Larry
Bind mouse1 "toggle voice_enable"

Frida Call Me
Sep 28, 2001

Boy, you gotta carry that weight
Carry that weight a long time

Bohemian Nights posted:

Bind mouse1 "toggle voice_enable"

Hey that's pretty handy thanks.

surc
Aug 17, 2004

Smithereens posted:

"no one man [could] have all that power" - me

pulling some ghandi poo poo isn't gonna keep every kid and adult child from hurling insults and getting upset with you. love the idealistic angle, but in practice there is no way you are gonna even a sizable minority of the playerbase from being lovely because of the anonymity of the internet and the nature of the game. the real truth is that there will most likely be someone on your team (if you don't 5 stack) that will actively attempt to upset you for any reason: for funsie or because he/she thinks your just bad or you slighted them in some unbeknownst way or they just felt like it. instead of waiting for the whole world to change, maybe limit your parameters to "4 other people who don't actively sabatoge the game for schadefreude fun that i can play with"

just my 2centz

i wish you luck on changing the whole of the counter-strike community through example.

First of all: Telling people who are being assholes that they are being assholes and should not be assholes is not "Some ghandi poo poo".

Secondly: gently caress you. gently caress you and your bullshit, lazy, selfish, justifying-inaction rear end. "It's hard and I don't see immediate results" is a bullshit excuse. Are you going to fix the entire counter-strike community? No. But "love the idealistic angle, but then don't do poo poo" is a cop-out of the highest order no matter what circumstances it's used in. Obviously the counter-strike (or any) community is never going to change if everybody shrugs and goes "oh well it's never going to change".
I have maybe a 40-60% success rate on getting people in my game to stop being shits in my game if I bring it up in the right way, and continue bringing it up for multiple rounds.
Am I fixing CS:GO for everybody? No.
Am I making it more likely these people will not be shits in future games? Some of them, likely yes, some of them, probably it has a small amount of influence, and might make them stop easier next time, by indicating that people will call them on it and not put up with their poo poo, and some of them, probably no.
Does it help me, personally, have a better game because they have stopped being shits in my game? Yes.

ur 2centz are dumb

i wish you luck wallowing in your poo poo-filled pool that you are too lazy to tell the next person squatting down is not a toilet.

surc fucked around with this message at 14:07 on Jul 27, 2016

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

jfc people it's "gandhi"

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
This surc guy is really toxic. I hope someone reaches out to him.

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.

surc posted:

First of all: Telling people who are being assholes that they are being assholes and should not be assholes is not "Some ghandi poo poo".

Secondly: gently caress you. gently caress you and your bullshit, lazy, selfish, justifying-inaction rear end. "It's hard and I don't see immediate results" is a bullshit excuse. Are you going to fix the entire counter-strike community? No. But "love the idealistic angle, but then don't do poo poo" is a cop-out of the highest order no matter what circumstances it's used in. Obviously the counter-strike (or any) community is never going to change if everybody shrugs and goes "oh well it's never going to change".
I have maybe a 40-60% success rate on getting people in my game to stop being shits in my game if I bring it up in the right way, and continue bringing it up for multiple rounds.
Am I making it more likely these people will not be shits in future games? Some of them, likely yes, some of them, probably it has a small amount of influence, and might make them stop easier next time, by indicating that people will call them on it and not put up with their poo poo, and some of them, probably no.
Does it help me, personally, have a better game because they have stopped being shits in my game? Yes.

ur 2centz are dumb

i wish you luck wallowing in your poo poo-filled pool that you are too lazy to tell the next person squatting down is not a toilet.

:eyepop:

surc
Aug 17, 2004

I made that post pre-coffee, and on review I was overly hostile in conveying my point; apologies to smithereens who is also not thrilled about the community being poo poo. The point is still solid though, that's a bullshit excuse and a cop-out.

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004
I only start loving with my teammates if they're toxic people and yanking their chain is more entertaining than muting them. I'll usually try to get everyone to chill but some people just bring it on themselves.

my favorite kind of guy is the guy that won't stop being angry no matter what happens.

Sweeper
Nov 29, 2007
The Joe Buck of Posting
Dinosaur Gum

NerdyMcNerdNerd posted:

I only start loving with my teammates if they're toxic people and yanking their chain is more entertaining than muting them. I'll usually try to get everyone to chill but some people just bring it on themselves.

my favorite kind of guy is the guy that won't stop being angry no matter what happens.

Just yesterday I had a team tilt after the first half and we were down 10-5 after ct side cache. Told them to chill out and we won 9 rounds to start off t side and they were still mad at each other

Some people just can't be happy

The worst are people who start throwing when they alone are doing lovely. Three kills in 10 rounds? Better buy an ump and rush every round as a ct!

Salean
Mar 17, 2004

Homewrecker

NerdyMcNerdNerd posted:

Mine is the guy who constantly gives you A+ advice such as "dont bother trying for headshots with the usp" while he buys a bizon every round

Salean fucked around with this message at 15:30 on Jul 27, 2016

Goofballs
Jun 2, 2011

You know those wacky americans who think having guns protects them from government tyranny but everyone has a good laugh at them thinking they could fight off a professional army. Trying to get the community to be nice is kind of a fantasy similar level of uphill struggle. PvP is just a zero sum game and you, you loving noob are why they aren't getting their share of the pie cyka bylat. Negativity is the default setting.

I find the best thing to do is be nice and give positive reinforcement when I can but I can't make them not have psyhotic outbreaks so I just start muting people when nice doesn't work. Game is stressful enough without some reet howling in fury in my ear.

Up Circle
Apr 3, 2008

surc posted:

ur 2centz are dumb

maybe the people in your games are having moments like this where they haven't had coffee yet and they are grumpy and whiny

Garfu
Mar 6, 2008

Much like buttholes, families are meant to be tight.
What usually works for me: start following around the toxic people until they TK you enough times to get banned

Works like 90% of the time even if they know what you're doing and say they aren't going to TK you. It still inevitably happens

ZeBourgeoisie
Aug 8, 2013

THUNDERDOME
LOSER

Goofballs posted:

You know those wacky americans who think having guns protects them from government tyranny but everyone has a good laugh at them thinking they could fight off a professional army.

Pretty sure when the Navy Seals come around I'll just one-tap them with my P250 thank you very much :colbert:

real dilemma
Apr 12, 2007

Goofballs posted:

You know those wacky americans who think having guns protects them from government tyranny but everyone has a good laugh at them thinking they could fight off a professional army.

well you see we have done this once before

and i'm way better at shooting an assault rifle than they were at shooting muskets on account of all my counter strike weapons training

stump collector
May 28, 2007

exethan posted:

i am raging just thinking about it

surc
Aug 17, 2004

Up Circle posted:

maybe the people in your games are having moments like this where they haven't had coffee yet and they are grumpy and whiny

This is a possibility, and I am pretty much always willing to give people another chance if they are apologetic for doing something annoying, or being overly aggro. This is why I made the comment about "bringing it up in the right way". If somebody is frustrated by another player making bad decisions and starts getting too mad, you should probably do a more gentle "chill out."
If somebody keeps giving you bad calls when they're dead, ask them to be quiet because you are easily distracted by voice. (Or disable voice/turn down voice scale).
If somebody is spamming bullshit/bigotry/memes, tell them it is not cool and funny, and that it in fact makes them look like an rear end in a top hat.
Ideally you do this without raging at them about it (which I did not do well in my post), to not provide them with the feedback/attention they are after if they are trolling/being offensive, or to not put them on the defensive if they are getting frustrated or making bad calls.

:shrug: These don't always work but as general guidelines I find them to result with people changing behavior a noticeable amount. Taking the "you will never win so don't try" stance is still bad and wrong, and an attempt at justifying why it's okay to not put in effort to improve the community. It's an understandable position when you feel helpless against or defeated by the toxicity, but it is still bad and wrong.

stump collector
May 28, 2007
ghandi's edpi was 69, requiring an incredible 420 inches to turn the other cheek

Up Circle
Apr 3, 2008

exethan posted:

ghandi's edpi was 69, requiring an incredible 420 inches to turn the other cheek

Phosphene
Aug 11, 2008
I'M NOT TRYING TO GET BIG AND BULKY OKAY WE ALL FAIL DIFFERENT GOALS

exethan posted:

God drat. The perfect Counter Strike post.

Demostrs
Mar 30, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

exethan posted:

EvilBeard
Apr 24, 2003

Big Q's House of Pancakes

Fun Shoe
Whenever some edgy kid calls me a human being, I just hit him with the truth. Something like this: There are waaaay worse things than being gay. Like being him. I couldn't imagine being a terrible, garbage, ignorant person who will contribute nothing to the world, be a disappointment to my parents, family, and society in general. Yeah, I'd rather have sex with people I find attractive. That's just horrible. Generally they'll just shut up or rage tilt.

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

surc posted:

ur 2centz are dumb

should I go out to my car to do a quick reading of this and upload it, because I'm tempted to

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

EvilBeard posted:

Whenever some edgy kid calls me a human being, I just hit him with the truth. Something like this: There are waaaay worse things than being gay. Like being him. I couldn't imagine being a terrible, garbage, ignorant person who will contribute nothing to the world, be a disappointment to my parents, family, and society in general. Yeah, I'd rather have sex with people I find attractive. That's just horrible. Generally they'll just shut up or rage tilt.

stealing this.