Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Rookersh posted:

Imagine like a scripted fight with 5-10 hordes of Chaos, but also all the allied races. Like it starts with just Archaons/Sigvald/Kholeks stacks, but as time goes on, more and more Chaos armies just keep coming through the Chaos Gate until you can finally reach it and destroy it.

So you'd have the Empire having a massive stack of guys holding the line alongside the High Elves + all the various Mages. Then behind them tons of various Dwarfen cannons. And then on the flanks wave after wave of Bretonnian cavalry. And then it's just the killing fields at the Chaos Gate to the Chaos Wastes.

Hell, since it's scripted and supposed to be the end times, have Sigmar show up and duke it out with Archaeon or something, I dunno.

Get to change the course of the End Times in the biggest loving battle in Total War, as the end of a loving Warhammer campaign should be. It shouldn't be chasing down Archaeons stack through the Chaos Wastes for 20 minutes.

Only if Karl motherfucking Franz gets to kill a bitch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

rockopete posted:

The Death Star should be easily translated to single player, right? I can't see the AI putting up a good fight against a tough multiplayer tactic. I have a few overly fancy armies full of micro heavy units and I'm sick of it, nearly crushed chaos but it's become a slog constantly cycle charging my Blood Knights while babying my Black Coach and still ordering Vargheists around plus the rest of my army and heroes.

probably depends on difficulty wrt leadership.

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"
Seeing as you can solo entire armies with mannfred yeah i think the death star would work...adaptation not ai's strong suit

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Crap, guess I'll be passing on Beastmen, not crazy about horde gameplay.
Shame, they look pretty cool.

I wonder if Lizardmen will be horde based too? :ohdear:
Maybe I should get used to that style...

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Rookersh posted:

Imagine like a scripted fight with 5-10 hordes of Chaos, but also all the allied races. Like it starts with just Archaons/Sigvald/Kholeks stacks, but as time goes on, more and more Chaos armies just keep coming through the Chaos Gate until you can finally reach it and destroy it.

So you'd have the Empire having a massive stack of guys holding the line alongside the High Elves + all the various Mages. Then behind them tons of various Dwarfen cannons. And then on the flanks wave after wave of Bretonnian cavalry. And then it's just the killing fields at the Chaos Gate to the Chaos Wastes.

Hell, since it's scripted and supposed to be the end times, have Sigmar show up and duke it out with Archaeon or something, I dunno.

Get to change the course of the End Times in the biggest loving battle in Total War, as the end of a loving Warhammer campaign should be. It shouldn't be chasing down Archaeons stack through the Chaos Wastes for 20 minutes.

And reenact Grimgor and Archaon's duel/headbutt :getin:

DO IT TO IT
Mar 3, 2008

I know "mon" means man, but I don't think "Och" means anything.

Deakul posted:

I really hope Lizardmen aren't horde style.

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

DO IT TO IT posted:

I really hope Lizardmen aren't horde style.

Considering that they're known mostly for giant pyramids and fat, immobile frogs, I doubt it.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Deakul posted:

Given their fluff it would make 0 sense for them to be horde based. They have named cities and big old aztec pyramids going on. Whereas beastmen don't.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.

Geisladisk posted:

Considering that they're known mostly for giant pyramids and fat, immobile frogs, I doubt it.

Indeed, they only come out of their cities to deal with invaders, pursue raiders that stole some sacred artifact or carry some obscure mission issued by the frogs. They are one of the factions with less reasons to roam the world, alongside Tomb Kings and Chaos Dwarfs.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
Hordes are really fuckin' fun, but I can see why people don't like playing them. You have to play a very different way and it can be a difficult adjustment if you're a defensive type of player. I'd definitely recommend giving it an honest try though. Chaos victory was easily the most satisfying for me because it's not like the others where you can just defend borders and hope Archaon gets killed off screen for 100+ turns. I'm expecting the Beastmen campaign to be really fun as well.

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

Angry Lobster posted:

They are one of the factions with less reasons to roam the world, alongside Tomb Kings and Chaos Dwarfs.

To be fair, Chaos Dwarfs WANT to take over the world to prove that they're totally relevant and just as cool & edgy as the other Chaos races. It's just that there's only one city's worth Underbite Gnomes in existence, and a million billion Greenskins between them and anyone that actually matters. So right now the Dawi Zharr plan boils down to:

Step 1: Aquire Slaves
Step 2: ????????????
Step 3: Conquer World!

Kainser
Apr 27, 2010

O'er the sea from the north
there sails a ship
With the people of Hel
at the helm stands Loki
After the wolf
do wild men follow
Yeah, the Chaos Dwarfs will be going on slave raids while slowly taking over Dwarven Holds.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Rookersh posted:

Or alternatively, getting a "good guy" final battle where you get Empire/Dwarves/Brettonia/High Elves allied against Chaos ( or the Skaven Hordes ) would be pretty loving sweet.

This would be cool but it would be a little weird if you eliminated and/or were at war with any of those factions. 'Sorry for razing all of your dwarf strongholds. Let's kill chaos!'

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

Chomp8645 posted:

Honestly it's functionally about the same thing.

It really isn't. It means the Karl Franz snipe is explicitly disallowed. You have to raze everything and keep it razed.

Edit: It changes things a lot. For example you are now best off moving into the Empire later because it cuts down the number of stacks/agents you have to face.

Fangz fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Jul 27, 2016

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Fangz posted:

It really isn't. It means the Karl Franz snipe is explicitly disallowed. You have to raze everything and keep it razed.

If the Empire was the only one, sure. But you gotta get them, the Brettonians, and all the Dwarfs. Empire is almost certainly gonna come first of those three so you are probably gonna be burning the whole kit n' kaboodle anyway.

Meme Poker Party fucked around with this message at 18:14 on Jul 27, 2016

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Chomp8645 posted:

If the Empire was the only one, sure. But you gotta get them the Brettonians, and all the Dwarfs. Empire is almost certainly gonna come first of those three so you are probably gonna be burning the whole kit n' kaboodle anyway.

Not in my experience, my experience with Chaos is eliminating the Empire before turn 50. Dwarves tend to be the issue in the long victory.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Fangz posted:

Not in my experience, my experience with Chaos is eliminating the Empire before turn 50. Dwarves tend to be the issue in the long victory.

Oh I see, you are sniping the factions instead of burning the whole world. Not very Chaos like.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

Chomp8645 posted:

If the Empire was the only one, sure. But you gotta get them, the Brettonians, and all the Dwarfs. Empire is almost certainly gonna come first of those three so you are probably gonna be burning the whole kit n' kaboodle anyway.

Beastmen start in the orc area or south of Brettoninia, depending on the lord you pick, I thought? So you're probably hitting the Empire second in either scenario.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Chomp8645 posted:

Oh I see, you are sniping the factions instead of burning the whole world. Not very Chaos like.

I see Sigvald as wanting to get this bullshit over and done with ASAP. He has more fabulous things to do with his time.

Wilekat
Sep 24, 2007

Ugh stupid reinforcements bug. Trying to fight Grimgor + a reinforcing town stack in an underground battle when the second stack reinforces in directly behind you is such bullshit. :argh:

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Wilekat posted:

Ugh stupid reinforcements bug. Trying to fight Grimgor + a reinforcing town stack in an underground battle when the second stack reinforces in directly behind you is such bullshit. :argh:

? Isn't this actually awesome for you? Bum rush the reinforcing the stack.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor

Triskelli posted:

To be fair, Chaos Dwarfs WANT to take over the world to prove that they're totally relevant and just as cool & edgy as the other Chaos races. It's just that there's only one city's worth Underbite Gnomes in existence, and a million billion Greenskins between them and anyone that actually matters. So right now the Dawi Zharr plan boils down to:

Step 1: Aquire Slaves
Step 2: ????????????
Step 3: Conquer World!

Welp, you're right of course, but you know how greedy the Chorfs are, they need a lot of slaves to forge their warmachines, and the Darklands are choke full of ogres and orcs breeding like crazy, so basically the chaos dwarfs are playing a never-ending game of Pokemon Go (but with slaves). Everybody is happy with this arrangement (except the slaves of course), chorf industrialists get their cheap labor, slavers make a decent profit and orcs&ogres get to fight constantly for fun and profit.

Angry Lobster fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Jul 27, 2016

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Fangz posted:

Yeah, just turn your army around, surround the reinforcement marker, and route the garrison before Grimgor can get to you.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Fangz posted:

Yeah, I've won a few utterly bullshit battles because i was able to murder one stack as they entered and recover just in time to take on the second as it marched towards me.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I had that happen during my Greenskin invasion of Norsca, and it wasn't so fun because the stack reinforcing directly behind me had a fuckton of gold chevron burly as gently caress vikings in it that swamped my army no matter how concentrated I fought. Ripped them to shreds, but then two other Varg forces came from the opposite end of the tunnel to stomp me out. That was the last fight Grimgor got in that campaign. Still won the war though.

When is the patch supposed to drop?

blindwoozie
Mar 1, 2008

Patch drops tomorrow with the Beastmen + FLC. I've been holding off starting a new campaign until the patch, I can't wait! Malagor in the Badlands or Khazrak in Estalia?

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

Khazrak is in Estalia, crow man is in ork country.

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

I just want like 5 more games of that ork campaign in Retribution.

I dont know
Aug 9, 2003

That Guy here...

wiegieman posted:

I just want like 5 more games of that ork campaign in Retribution.

I'm going to be intensely disappointed if Kaptin Bluddflagg isn't in Dawn of War 3.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

I dont know posted:

I'm going to be intensely disappointed if Kaptin Bluddflagg isn't in Dawn of War 3.

Gorgutz 'Ead'unter is back though. They better bring back Brian Drummond for his voice acting as well.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

MilitantBlackGuy posted:

Patch drops tomorrow with the Beastmen + FLC. I've been holding off starting a new campaign until the patch, I can't wait! Malagor in the Badlands or Khazrak in Estalia?

I'll probably do the grand Campaign with Malagor since you have to start the mini-campaign with Khazrak, unless Khazrak's starting bonus is just too good to pass up. The prospect of starting in Estalia is tempting too, since I've never even set foot down there.

Are you guys going with the grand or mini-campaign first?

blindwoozie
Mar 1, 2008

Deified Data posted:

I'll probably do the grand Campaign with Malagor since you have to start the mini-campaign with Khazrak, unless Khazrak's starting bonus is just too good to pass up. The prospect of starting in Estalia is tempting too, since I've never even set foot down there.

Malagor has a +10% campaign movement range and +1 capacity for Bray-Shamans, while Khazrak has +10% Raiding income and +5 Leadership against humans. I'd say Malagor has the better bonuses but Khazrak starts in an interesting and fresh area of the map. Decisions, decisions! I'll definitely be doing the Grand Campaign first though.

Choyi
Aug 18, 2012

Deified Data posted:

I'll probably start with mini campaign, and save grand campaign for a Co Op playthrough this weekend.
Wonder how long its gonna take for a co-op mod for both players going Beastmen to show up on workshop.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
I think I'm gonna do the mini-campaign first to get a handle on the faction and as a nice change of pace from the main campaign.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

MilitantBlackGuy posted:

Malagor has a +10% campaign movement range and +1 capacity for Bray-Shamans, while Khazrak has +10% Raiding income and +5 Leadership against humans. I'd say Malagor has the better bonuses but Khazrak starts in an interesting and fresh area of the map. Decisions, decisions! I'll definitely be doing the Grand Campaign first though.

Yeah, Malagor definitely seems to have the edge there, in addition to looking metal as all hell. Next it comes down to starting units, but that's secondary.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor

Deified Data posted:

Mini first, for the grand campaign maybe will pick Malagor but I'm finishing an orc campaign and I'm pretty fed up with the Badlands, so dunno. Maybe starting with Malagor and getting out of the Badlans asap by boat to the border princes and invading the Empire through Wissenland can be a good move, we'll see.

madmac
Jun 22, 2010
Random balancing note, apparently the second level in spells gives a -50% cooldown reduction now instead of 15. Also both of the Beastmen LLs have a ton of unique skills, which is cool.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

Angry Lobster posted:

Mini first, for the grand campaign maybe will pick Malagor but I'm finishing an orc campaign and I'm pretty fed up with the Badlands, so dunno. Maybe starting with Malagor and getting out of the Badlans asap by boat to the border princes and invading the Empire through Wissenland can be a good move, we'll see.

If I start with Malagor I'm definitely booking it out of the Badlands ASAP. The Greenskins will be useful to keep around to pressure the Dwarfs and the Orcs have no civilization to defile anyway. I'll probably cross the sea and harass the Border Princes first.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grumio
Sep 20, 2001

in culina est
Malagor also has a giant as one of his starting units (Khazrak gets a unit of minotaurs)

• Locked thread