Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

R.L. Stine posted:

If anything she's probably experimenting with stimulants and partying hard.

Smart money's right here.

Some people have a desperate, insatiable hunger for things to be concerned about so they can make a big show out of how concerned they are. I'm surprised there isn't a candlelight vigil scheduled yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ranbo das
Oct 16, 2013

To be fair its weird that she's been liking tweets that say stuff like "like this if you are in danger and can't actually say anything".

It's probably just a combination of drugs and attention seeking though.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

ranbo das posted:

To be fair its weird that she's been liking tweets that say stuff like "like this if you are in danger and can't actually say anything".

It's probably just a combination of drugs and attention seeking though.

Yeah she wasn't exactly discouraging the crazy worries people had built up for her which just added fuel to them

KM Scorchio
Feb 13, 2008

"If you don't find rape hilarious, you're a sensitive crybaby."
Someone tweet her a link to TCC please, they know how to deal with this kind of thing responsibly.

pookel
Oct 27, 2011

Ultra Carp
This does sound like reason to worry:

quote:

However, rumors have gotten more extreme as Marina liked a tweet that said “I really do hope you’re okay. If you’re in any danger but can’t really say, like this? We all wanna help as much as we can :(” Furthermore, she liked several tweets asking if she was in danger. People fear her Twitter is also being used by someone who is abusing, controlling or has abducted her.

Seems more likely she has an abusive boyfriend or something than that there's a grand conspiracy, though.

Twerkteam Pizza
Sep 26, 2015

Grimey Drawer

pookel posted:

This does sound like reason to worry:

Seems more likely she has an abusive boyfriend or something than that there's a grand conspiracy, though.

Patriarchy isn't a conspiracy, but it is intrinsic in our current societal structure

She needs a women's shelter probably

ranbo das
Oct 16, 2013

I dunno, if she was liking those tweets and really saw herself as in danger, you would think she would say something when she was alone with the cops during the welfare check. So either she is being abused but doesn't perceive it as abuse (ie abusive boyfriend) or it's just for attention. The liking the danger tweets make me think it's the second one.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

ranbo das posted:

I dunno, if she was liking those tweets and really saw herself as in danger, you would think she would say something when she was alone with the cops during the welfare check. So either she is being abused but doesn't perceive it as abuse (ie abusive boyfriend) or it's just for attention. The liking the danger tweets make me think it's the second one.

I don't think you understand how abuse in relationships works

Twerkteam Pizza
Sep 26, 2015

Grimey Drawer

Aesop Poprock posted:

As a survivor of abuse in the only homosexual relationship I've had, so much this

pookel
Oct 27, 2011

Ultra Carp

ranbo das posted:

I dunno, if she was liking those tweets and really saw herself as in danger, you would think she would say something when she was alone with the cops during the welfare check.
That's not necessarily how it works. Just because you want to get out of a bad situation doesn't mean you think it's a good idea to involve the cops, which has the potential to make the situation blow up publicly.

Twerkteam Pizza
Sep 26, 2015

Grimey Drawer
We live in a society where you can get injured or even killed for calling the police and being part of the wrong demographic, just fyi

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice
I'd like to change my bet before the bookie slams the gate closed:

Ten bucks on "youtuber seeking attention"

If anyone's interested in an equity swap let me know

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Has there been a real case of youtube recording evidence of something disturbing where it turned out to be real? I know that spree shooter who shot people from his BMW had a channel that is still up, but as far as I know nothing related to his crimes.

ranbo das
Oct 16, 2013

Aesop Poprock posted:

I dunno from my experience most abusive relationships have the abused party refusing to admit to anyone that the relationship is abusive or rationalizing it to themselves. I've never seen an abusive relationship where one party is actively saying "help me I'm in an abusive relationship" to just random people but telling everyone they actually know / has authority that they're fine. Usually if they're willing to admit there is an abusive relationship to others, they're willing to admit it to themselves and take steps to get out of it.

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

Yes. R.I.P. Louise Paxton :(

Erghh
Sep 24, 2007

"Let him speak!"

Jack Gladney posted:

Has there been a real case of youtube recording evidence of something disturbing where it turned out to be real? I know that spree shooter who shot people from his BMW had a channel that is still up, but as far as I know nothing related to his crimes.

You would likely have to go searching for the raw video uploads. Here's an old thread on it but can't really recommend it. In an earlier version goons were finding cartel executions and poo poo.

I brought my Drake
Jul 10, 2014

These high-G injections have some serious side effects after pulling so many jumps.

Jack Gladney posted:

It's not original to YouTube, but the Smith Mountain Lake shootings happened during an on-location tv news station broadcast and was uploaded all over the place. And the police shootings recorded on phones then uploaded, etc. Or is this specifically asking for killers with visible media footprints before their crimes became known?

Captain_Indigo
Jul 29, 2007

"That’s cheating! You know the rules: once you sacrifice something here, you don’t get it back!"

There was also the very very creepy keyboard music/ laughing guy who uploaded those videos to youtube regarding the disappearance of Maura Murray. Ultimately police decided he had nothing to do with it despite having some strange things linking him to her if I recall correctly.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

queserasera posted:

It's not original to YouTube, but the Smith Mountain Lake shootings happened during an on-location tv news station broadcast and was uploaded all over the place. And the police shootings recorded on phones then uploaded, etc. Or is this specifically asking for killers with visible media footprints before their crimes became known?

Not killers specifically, but like video bloggers starting manic states or early signs of schizophrenia, or like early signs of horrible disasters. I would probably count murders by police officers.

joshtothemaxx
Nov 17, 2008

I will have a whole army of zombies! A zombie Marine Corps, a zombie Navy Corps, zombie Space Cadets...

Jack Gladney posted:

Not killers specifically, but like video bloggers starting manic states or early signs of schizophrenia, or like early signs of horrible disasters. I would probably count murders by police officers.

Wasn't there that guy obsessed with Bjork who eventually killed himself on live video? I seem to recall him making a long series of videos that escalated until the final one where he, ya know.

Cat Hassler
Feb 7, 2006

Slippery Tilde

joshtothemaxx posted:

Wasn't there that guy obsessed with Bjork who eventually killed himself on live video? I seem to recall him making a long series of videos that escalated until the final one where he, ya know.

I was watching a local public access TV show in the mid 90s and they played that without warning.

Weird to think that not very long ago you would never see a recording of a horrible death and now it's something you have to be wary of stumbling across.

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007
I'm not Amish by choice. 8(

Jack Gladney posted:

I'm vaguely recalling quite a few, actually, but at the moment I can't quite figure out the search term that would get you good write-ups on any of them. It's a rather morbid line of inquiry at any rate. The Bjork guy is probably one of the more famous ones, but in this day and age you can often see snippets of the descent into mental illness on social media.

One that I was able to dredge up in a short search was this kid, whom I'd forgotten about.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2014_Isla_Vista_killings
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/wonk/wp/2014/06/17/why-law-enforcement-missed-elliot-rodgers-warnings-signs/

Essentially he was some kid whose detached, socially-awkward, and increasingly obsessive behavior was documented in part in his youtube videos, culminating in him e-mailing a crazy manifesto to several people outlining his hatred of women, inter-racial couples, and men who had more sex than himself, and then going out to attack and kill several people, specifically including a sorority house in his targets.

What makes it especially distressing is that I've met people like that, and you see plenty of them online in the form of MRA and red-pill type groups. I guess it's just an outgrowth of normal social issues stuff that hasn't really been resolved. In his case it sounds like it was aggravated by some additional issue in the form of a poorly-treated mental illness, though, unsurprisingly, there doesn't seem to be much solid information on his mental health other than to say it was poor and he wasn't reacting well to treatment attempts.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Trying to paint Bethnal Green as some kind of scummy area is loving hilarious. It's a trendy neighbourhood full of smart coffee shops and art galleries.

Gibfender
Apr 15, 2007

Electricity In Our Homes

Mr. Flunchy posted:

Trying to paint Bethnal Green as some kind of scummy area is loving hilarious. It's a trendy neighbourhood full of smart coffee shops and art galleries.

Seriously. Bethnal Green hasn't been sketchy for at least 10 years

Sarcopenia
May 14, 2014
There was an extremely awkward reviewer on youtube creatively named Mr Anime who killed his family. But his last video was just a super uneventful update and I don't see how you would be able to predict anything from them.
Except for the fact that Anime is blood of course.

This on the other hand. Dude goes on a nice-guy rant about how much he hates black women for choosing the wrong kind of men. Totally shows them by killing some poor woman.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hZJIUb2hFXI

Ron Paul supporting, conspiracy theorist stabs a dude and 3 hours later gets shot to death by police. Read the comments if you want to be extra baffled!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e3FfPUKuGsQ

Here's a list of dead youtubers by cause of death. I know that this stuff is (mostly) only eerie after the fact but it just get's to me. "Oh this nice lady made some fashion vlogs,why did she sto... Oh her trash ex boyfriend shot her in her sleep" :smith:

Other content http://fresnopeoplesmedia.com/2016/01/2829/

Dude was maybe/probably/I really don't know and really don't hope so, getting gangstalked by his local police.

RNG
Jul 9, 2009

Jack Gladney posted:

Too lazy to put together a linkdump, but Luka Magnotta had a bizarre web presence where he pretended to be an international playboy before posting the video of him mutilating his boyfriend.

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

Y'know, I'm not sure I was expecting this specific kind of hosed up poo poo when I started using the Web some 20 years ago. You just couldn't see that coming back then.

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON

ranbo das posted:

I dunno from my experience most abusive relationships have the abused party refusing to admit to anyone that the relationship is abusive or rationalizing it to themselves. I've never seen an abusive relationship where one party is actively saying "help me I'm in an abusive relationship" to just random people but telling everyone they actually know / has authority that they're fine. Usually if they're willing to admit there is an abusive relationship to others, they're willing to admit it to themselves and take steps to get out of it.

This is super general and not always true. Plenty of people know they are being abused but stay around anyway because the abuse causes low self-esteem, which leads to thoughts such as 'well i'm such a piece of poo poo anyway, who else would want me?'. Abused people often mire in their own self-hatred because they know they should leave but feel unable or unequipped to do so, which makes them feel even worse about themselves and, causes them to insecurely rely on the abuser more.

The abuser subconsciously convinces their partner they really are as lovely as suggested, and even if the partner can know intellectually they're getting a raw deal and don't deserve this type of treatment from their partner, emotionally they are worried they'll be left alone by this person who has coerced emotional dependence from them. And then who else would want them? I mean, they feel so useless that THIS is their current partner, the feeling of trying to effect change is absolutely daunting.

That's pretty much why abusers abuse - in a hosed up way, it tethers people to you.

StrangersInTheNight has a new favorite as of 16:42 on Jul 28, 2016

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

I'm strong. And a giant penguin. Please don't eat me. No, really. Don't try.

RNG posted:

Too lazy to put together a linkdump, but Luka Magnotta had a bizarre web presence where he pretended to be an international playboy before posting the video of him mutilating his boyfriend.

Lin Jun was not his boyfriend.

pookel
Oct 27, 2011

Ultra Carp

StrangersInTheNight posted:

The abuser subconsciously convinces their partner they really are as lovely as suggested, and even if the partner can know intellectually they're getting a raw deal and don't deserve this type of treatment from their partner, emotionally they are worried they'll be left alone by this person who has coerced emotional dependence from them. And then who else would want them? I mean, they feel so useless that THIS is their current partner, the feeling of trying to effect change is absolutely daunting.
A lot of abused people stay because they actually *can't* leave, not because they're too emotionally messed up to know they need to. They stay because their abuser threatens to hunt them down and kill them if they leave, or because their abuser takes away their phone and credit cards or locks them up, or - very common among abused wives with children - because they know their abuser will get partial custody of the kids they have together, and they won't be able to protect the kids if they leave.

Even if they are technically able to leave, there's the difficult of getting out without getting murdered on your way out the door, putting a new life together without all the stuff you had to leave behind, etc. It's all a giant risk, and the costs are financial and practical, not just emotional.

Sarcopenia
May 14, 2014

pookel posted:

A lot of abused people stay because they actually *can't* leave, not because they're too emotionally messed up to know they need to. They stay because their abuser threatens to hunt them down and kill them if they leave, or because their abuser takes away their phone and credit cards or locks them up, or - very common among abused wives with children - because they know their abuser will get partial custody of the kids they have together, and they won't be able to protect the kids if they leave.

Even if they are technically able to leave, there's the difficult of getting out without getting murdered on your way out the door, putting a new life together without all the stuff you had to leave behind, etc. It's all a giant risk, and the costs are financial and practical, not just emotional.

Yeah, isn't the period of time after you leave the most likely time for you to be killed by your abuser? I also wouldn't exactly know what to do if an abuser told me "hey, yeah leave but I'll straight up kill your family members/kids/myself, so good look uprooting everyone you love and care about to get away from me when all you can get is a restraining order, see you super soon". I didn't think that there were so many people who still can't understand that there are multiple reasons why someone who suffers strong physical and mental abuse would try not to or find it impossible to shout at the top of their lungs for help.

One More Fat Nerd
Apr 13, 2007

Mama’s Lil’ Louie

Nap Ghost

Shady Amish Terror posted:

I'm vaguely recalling quite a few, actually, but at the moment I can't quite figure out the search term that would get you good write-ups on any of them. It's a rather morbid line of inquiry at any rate. The Bjork guy is probably one of the more famous ones, but in this day and age you can often see snippets of the descent into mental illness on social media.

One that I was able to dredge up in a short search was this kid, whom I'd forgotten about.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2014_Isla_Vista_killings
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/wonk/wp/2014/06/17/why-law-enforcement-missed-elliot-rodgers-warnings-signs/

Essentially he was some kid whose detached, socially-awkward, and increasingly obsessive behavior was documented in part in his youtube videos, culminating in him e-mailing a crazy manifesto to several people outlining his hatred of women, inter-racial couples, and men who had more sex than himself, and then going out to attack and kill several people, specifically including a sorority house in his targets.

What makes it especially distressing is that I've met people like that, and you see plenty of them online in the form of MRA and red-pill type groups. I guess it's just an outgrowth of normal social issues stuff that hasn't really been resolved. In his case it sounds like it was aggravated by some additional issue in the form of a poorly-treated mental illness, though, unsurprisingly, there doesn't seem to be much solid information on his mental health other than to say it was poor and he wasn't reacting well to treatment attempts.

Elliot Rodger, the world's most pathetic virgin. There was a huge GBS thread about his manifesto/diary thing when this went down. He was monstrously obsessed with sex and losing his virginity but had internalized his failures with women to the point that even in his "when I am king" fantasies (which he wrote about extensively) he still didn't get laid, he just exiled all women to live underground in the dark like loving morlocks.

He didn't shoot up the sorority as planned because they wouldn't open the door. He had two guns and had killed three people at that point but got stopped by a locked door and a woman telling him to go away.

He intended to kill his 8 year old brother because the kid had good social skills and thus might have sex someday, thus surpassing Elliot, which was unacceptable.

He was such a stereotype (in terms of being an angry self-obsessed virgin loser) that he'd have been banned for obvious trolling if he'd posted about his life in E/N.

Makes you worry about JonPop.

Sarcopenia
May 14, 2014

One More Fat Nerd posted:

Elliot Rodger, the world's most pathetic virgin. There was a huge GBS thread about his manifesto/diary thing when this went down. He was monstrously obsessed with sex and losing his virginity but had internalized his failures with women to the point that even in his "when I am king" fantasies (which he wrote about extensively) he still didn't get laid, he just exiled all women to live underground in the dark like loving morlocks.

He didn't shoot up the sorority as planned because they wouldn't open the door. He had two guns and had killed three people at that point but got stopped by a locked door and a woman telling him to go away.

He intended to kill his 8 year old brother because the kid had good social skills and thus might have sex someday, thus surpassing Elliot, which was unacceptable.

He was such a stereotype (in terms of being an angry self-obsessed virgin loser) that he'd have been banned for obvious trolling if he'd posted about his life in E/N.

Makes you worry about JonPop.

Didn't everyone around him also say, that they never even once saw him actually try to interact with any women ever? The dude was likely just imagining all of these crazy scenarios in his head because he was to scared to just engage with other people. Like, "I'm thinking about talking to that hot blond over there. Wait, she just turned her head and slightly looked at me while laughing??? loving bitch" He thought having a nice car would just automatically bring all the honeys to the yard and when the magical pussy signal didn't appear when he turned the key in the ignition he just started getting angry at filthy black dudes for getting all the sweet white pussy for some unexplained but totally logical reason.

I feel kind of gross saying it as he's obviously very loving unattractive after the things he did and the person he was, but the guy was far from bad looking. Purely based on his looks he would probably have been a guy I'd drunkenly complimented for his amazing cheekbones... And he'd probably turn away in disgust because I'm a black lady. My brain just explodes.

Ugh, of all of the things in the world Elliot Rodger is one of the things that scares me the most.

quite stretched out
Feb 17, 2011

the chillest
SA even has its own home grown "maybe someone could have seen this coming" event, the puckins guy

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Sarcopenia posted:

Didn't everyone around him also say, that they never even once saw him actually try to interact with any women ever? The dude was likely just imagining all of these crazy scenarios in his head because he was to scared to just engage with other people. Like, "I'm thinking about talking to that hot blond over there. Wait, she just turned her head and slightly looked at me while laughing??? loving bitch" He thought having a nice car would just automatically bring all the honeys to the yard and when the magical pussy signal didn't appear when he turned the key in the ignition he just started getting angry at filthy black dudes for getting all the sweet white pussy for some unexplained but totally logical reason.

I feel kind of gross saying it as he's obviously very loving unattractive after the things he did and the person he was, but the guy was far from bad looking. Purely based on his looks he would probably have been a guy I'd drunkenly complimented for his amazing cheekbones... And he'd probably turn away in disgust because I'm a black lady. My brain just explodes.

Ugh, of all of the things in the world Elliot Rodger is one of the things that scares me the most.

Even his family members said that his confession video was the most they had ever heard him speak at one time in his entire life. He's the embodiment of male entitlement.

One thread from his weird autobiography was that he could never enjoy fiction or movies and just liked video games, but that he loved the Game of Thrones novels because there was a character he really related to but never named in his writing--just that he really related to this character in a way he had never related to anyone before. There was a lot of speculation over who he was talking about. Geoffrey? Ramsay? Littlefinger? There are so many possibilities, and the world will never know.

Cumslut1895
Feb 18, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Jack Gladney posted:

Even his family members said that his confession video was the most they had ever heard him speak at one time in his entire life. He's the embodiment of male entitlement.

One thread from his weird autobiography was that he could never enjoy fiction or movies and just liked video games, but that he loved the Game of Thrones novels because there was a character he really related to but never named in his writing--just that he really related to this character in a way he had never related to anyone before. There was a lot of speculation over who he was talking about. Geoffrey? Ramsay? Littlefinger? There are so many possibilities, and the world will never know.

yeah, it was "male entitlement", not a neurological disorder. He was so entitled, he acted oddly as an infant.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Cumslut1895 posted:

yeah, it was "male entitlement", not a neurological disorder. He was so entitled, he acted oddly as an infant.

This isn't a very good post or discussion for this thread, but these are not binary options. Autism didn't make him a self-hating racist and it didn't tell him that women should die for not throwing themselves at him and thereby depriving him of the only experience that would make him a real and full man.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Jack Gladney posted:

This isn't a very good post or discussion for this thread, but these are not binary options. Autism didn't make him a self-hating racist and it didn't tell him that women should die for not throwing themselves at him and thereby depriving him of the only experience that would make him a real and full man.

If this discussion is bad then please stop continuing it.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
As an uninformed internet bystander, let me give you my expansive opinion on the topic at hand...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cumslut1895
Feb 18, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Jack Gladney posted:

Is society responsible for Schizophrenic people believing in Lizard-man conspiracies?