Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which religion is the best?
This poll is closed.
Shintoism 59 9.58%
Buddhism 77 12.50%
Taoism 66 10.71%
FEAR CLOWNPIECE 414 67.21%
Total: 616 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Tingle tingle kooloo limpah.
These are my magic words.

Don't steal them.
I'm rereading Forbidden Scrollery and I often forget how much I love Forbidden Scrollery. It's so good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

NO LISTEN TO ME posted:

Hey if you wanna play a mediocre game that looks, plays, and feels like a touhou game a shady man would sell you on a card table at a street corner, have I got the game for you.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/368950/

Your protagonist and mine, Reimi Hakuru (she's actually called Tenshi :v: )

Their only mistake was making the English part of the title have anything to do with the Japanese part. Apart from that it's a flawless imitation.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010
Can you even imagine the holy wars we'd have fought if we had to translate the names of the Touhou games into English?

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

It's a good thing no one bothers trying to use the japanese part of the names.

Hokuto
Jul 21, 2002

Soiled Meat
Touhou Ghost-Ghost Dream

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

My favorite touhou game, Touhou Eiyashou

leather fedora
Jun 27, 2004

The closest acceptable translation is
"die properly"

El Burbo posted:

My favorite touhou game, Touhou Eiyashou
Didn't the NISA interpreters actually refer to the games by their Japanese names like this at the AX panels with ZUN & co.? I'm going by hearsay but if so, that seems a bit silly.

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax
Jigoku Kisetsukan didn't really do much for me. The presentation and music being bland I could probably have gotten past but the patterns didn't grab me either.

You should play this fake touhou instead.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter
The most hosed up thing about the Steam one is that it's actually widescreen format.

Justus
Apr 18, 2006

Elliotw2 posted:

The most hosed up thing about the Steam one is that it's actually widescreen format.

Unacceptable. Unless it's tate. My bullet hells are NOT widescreen.go play mars matrix

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

leather fedora posted:

Didn't the NISA interpreters actually refer to the games by their Japanese names like this at the AX panels with ZUN & co.? I'm going by hearsay but if so, that seems a bit silly.

Well, that's how ZUN and others refer to them in Japanese, so if the interpreters aren't intimately familiar with all the English subtitles that's how they'd naturally be translated.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
They also turned Fantasy Seal into Dream Seal.
Repent on your translations for weird Reimu attack names, for the hour is nigh.

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

Isn't Dream Seal actually correct and Fantasy Seal just a mistranslation that caught on early on and is now really entrenched?

Kevos Setzer
Dec 1, 2004

I can transform, right?
Serious question: Is there supposed to be a difference in translating Dream instead of Fantasy? It just seems a weird thing to quibble on.

I don't mind the name Dream Seal, but the two words already seem linked when talking about Gensokyo. Look at Maribel Hearn's story, or Sumireko Usami's recent appearance in the manga.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

I don't think there's much practical or thematic difference. The basic idea has always been that Gensoukyou is this mirage-like dream/fantasy place where things aren't quite real in the traditional sense.

I suppose if anything the confusion could come from thinking of "fantasy" in a very strict speculative fiction genre sense.

NO LISTEN TO ME
Jan 3, 2009

「プリスティンビート」
「Pristine Beat」
Oh hey, touhou turns 20 in November

Finally, these girls can drink.

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

Everyone already made the 20th anniversary pictures last year, because I guess 1995 is the year that ZUN actually finished developing HRtP, even though he didn't show it off until the following year.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Forbidden Scrollery 42 draft In which, uh, I dunno really.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
So has WaHH just fallen off the face of the earth or something?

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Pureauthor posted:

So has WaHH just fallen off the face of the earth or something?

Let's just say yes. I'm getting the raws for FS and Fairy from an e-magazine, but WaHH is in a different magazine that doesn't have that option, so I have nothing to work with until the next volume comes out. I suppose there's also a backlog of ones that need translation checks, but I put those at lowest priority because frankly I like FS more.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

Kevos Setzer posted:

Serious question: Is there supposed to be a difference in translating Dream instead of Fantasy? It just seems a weird thing to quibble on.

I don't mind the name Dream Seal, but the two words already seem linked when talking about Gensokyo. Look at Maribel Hearn's story, or Sumireko Usami's recent appearance in the manga.
I just forget that "Fantasy" is the conventional translation and say "Dream" by accident.

NO LISTEN TO ME
Jan 3, 2009

「プリスティンビート」
「Pristine Beat」

dunked.

Nook
Jan 27, 2015

Of course Yuyuko would show up to tell ghost stories

HellCopter
Feb 9, 2012
College Slice
I do like that this ghost story event has attracted nearly as many youkai as humans, and nobody really seems to mind? Youmu's phantom half is in plain sight and that dude has no problem sitting next to a vampire.

Golden Battler
Sep 6, 2010

~Perfect and Elegant~
Yuyuko and Remilia pretty much just look like humans, though Youmu is a harder sell I suppose.

tbh I wouldn't be surprised if literally every other person up there is a youkai in disguise

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

every touhou lady is cute

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

And now it's been fandubbed and fansubbed

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J_zNH2snfW4

Nook
Jan 27, 2015

I have a hard time believing there's a single human who doesn't know who Remilia is or what she looks like

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

HellCopter posted:

I do like that this ghost story event has attracted nearly as many youkai as humans, and nobody really seems to mind? Youmu's phantom half is in plain sight and that dude has no problem sitting next to a vampire.

The EoSD and PCB casts have been going to human festivals since IaMP. By this point people would probably be more worried if they did not show up.

A bunch of youkai go shopping in the human village and stuff anyway, there's a weird buddhist youkai temple down the road, the kappa always have projects going on nearby. Gensokyo humans are used to this sort of thing.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
Why is Youmu even there; she's utterly terrified of ghosts and she knows it.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Pureauthor posted:

She was probably bullied into it.

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Tingle tingle kooloo limpah.
These are my magic words.

Don't steal them.
Yuyuko would've made her go by paying for it herself. Youmu would probably feel too guilty to not go at that point, thus sealing Yuyuko's master plan.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!

Pureauthor posted:

Same reason she was in the test of courage: Yuyuko thought it would be a hoot.

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

Youmu was just there to tell them to not make stories out of ghosts but ended up getting spooked.

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

Who could this mysterious light-haired individual, who got a panel along with the other named characters, be?

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!

El Burbo posted:

Who could this mysterious light-haired individual, who got a panel along with the other named characters, be?

It's mima.

HellCopter
Feb 9, 2012
College Slice
Yukari manipulated the panel borders to conceal her face from the readers

Nages
Dec 31, 2011

Just yell at her like you always do. Bitch, get out of the way!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

The group who did the Merry and Renko fanime are doing DDC next

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f4tsaynoXjE