Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
i can't figure out how to
This poll is closed.
remove 69 3.49%
the 420 21.24%
poll 1488 75.27%
Total: 1977 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
i remember once i joked at some british poster, lungfish i think, that his people considered paprika spicy, and he replied "look, if you overdo it, it can definitely result in heart burn"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret

Disinterested posted:

as opposed to where
What percentage of places had more, would you guess

Chelb
Oct 24, 2010

I'm gonna show SA-kun my shitposting!

paranoid randroid posted:

i remember once i joked at some british poster, lungfish i think, that his people considered paprika spicy, and he replied "look, if you overdo it, it can definitely result in heart burn"

lmao

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

The Highest Judge of Paradise
Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

Guess he wouldn't be a fan of hungarian goulash

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

I've never had worse fish and chips than at a british place. It was so bland.

Chelb
Oct 24, 2010

paprika is excellent in a yoghurt marinade

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

i don't think in reality Egypt had more of slavery than say, absolutely everywhere else in the world

Twerkteam Pizza
Sep 26, 2015

Grimey Drawer

Mr. Wookums posted:

That's the point of English food

Aeryk
Aug 31, 2006

Ah. It must have been when I was younger.
Fun Shoe

Mr. Wookums posted:

what's that geographic cutt-off? I don't see any Mediterranean there.

Mediterranean was split out for this list, it's not nearly as funny though

•Ajwain (Trachyspermum copticum)
•Anise (Pimpinella anisum)
•Coriander (Coriandrum sativum)
•Cumin (Cuminum cyminum)
•Fennel (Foeniculum vulgare)
•Hyssop (Hyssopus officinalis)
•Garden cress (Lepidium sativum)
•Lavender (Lavandula angustifolia)
•Mahaleb cherry (Prunus mahaleb)
•Myrtle (Myrtus communis)
•Nigella (Nigella sativa)
•Oregano (Origanum vulgare)
•Olive (Olea europaea)
•Rocket (Eruca sativa)
•Rosemary (Rosmarinus officinalis)
•Rue (Ruta graveolens)
•Sage (Salvia officinalis)
•Saffron (Crocus sativus)
•Savory (Satureja hortensis)
•Sumac (Rhus coriaria)
•Thyme (Thyumus vulgaris)

disjoe
Feb 18, 2011

Berke Negri posted:

i don't think in reality Egypt had more of slavery than say, absolutely everywhere else in the world

It's hard to say because it's basically impossible to determine from the written record where "servant" ended and where "slave" began.

visceril
Feb 24, 2008
Cumin, Coriander, Garlic, Sumac.

boy are my arms tired
May 10, 2012

Ham Wrangler

sudo rm -rf posted:

someone has probably called boosted a dumb piece of poo poo. I hope someone has. ycs, if you're listening, i hope you're able to call boosted a dumb piece of poo poo, i think you'd be rewarded by the thread.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

rip sudo

edit: rip woodrow too, drat everyone eating probs arguing with bad trump supporter boosted_c5

boy are my arms tired fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Jul 27, 2016

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret

oh no

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Berke Negri posted:

yeah but their slavery is condemned by the bible so people care more

slavery is actually a-ok by christian law, unless you are egypt then its bad

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

You look like you're still raking it in. Still killing 'em?

corn in the bible posted:

as long as you're nice to your slaves

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

a buddy of mine came back from a trip to england with a bag of some kind chip/cracker that was labelled spicy.

it tasted like it had been placed next to something that was actually spicy while on the store shelf

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

it has not been my experience that the average american is any more in to spicy food than the average British one

Aeryk
Aug 31, 2006

Fun Shoe
all the esoteric laws in the old testament are some of the most interesting parts

disjoe
Feb 18, 2011

Look, the slaves were well-fed and had decent lodgings provided by the Pharaoh. I don't see the problem here.

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS
Maybe American maws are only capable of picking up flavor profiles that are as subtle as behing hit in the face with a sledgehammer, while the natural crookedness of Britteeths allows the flavour molecules to hit a broader surface in the mouth.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao

i don't think it is even considered wrong in the Bible just that the Pharaoh was a dick

Aeryk
Aug 31, 2006

Fun Shoe

Disinterested posted:

it has not been my experience that the average american is any more in to spicy food than the average British one

no, no the meme is that the british are dour and gloomy in all things, including food. it's like you don't even care to create absolute truths about people based on where they were born.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

All I know is that if you're in a multicultural area, avoid "British" when used to advertise food.

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

Aeryk posted:

no, no the meme is that the british are dour and gloomy in all things, including food. it's like you don't even care to create absolute truths about people based on where they were born.

both country's main access to spicy food is from a de-natured version of the cuisine of a subject people

disjoe
Feb 18, 2011

My favorite part of the Exodus story is when Aaron and the Pharaoh's guys have a magical wizard battle

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Mr. Wookums posted:

new englanders do it best

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao

*loosens tie*

i am ready to move on from general antiquities to the Bible if everyone else is

Aeryk
Aug 31, 2006

Fun Shoe

Disinterested posted:

both country's main access to spicy food is from a de-natured version of the cuisine of a subject people

we got most of our indian cuisine from you, so ours is twice removed!

Aeryk
Aug 31, 2006

Fun Shoe

disjoe posted:

My favorite part of the Exodus story is when Aaron and the Pharaoh's guys have a magical wizard battle

I cast stick to snakes

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

Berke Negri posted:

*loosens tie*

i am ready to move on from general antiquities to the Bible if everyone else is

could use further editing imo

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
this by-committee thing might have worked in 300 BC but these days, consumers want a unified textual direction

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

Aeryk posted:

it shows

Octatonic
Sep 7, 2010

Randler posted:

Maybe American maws are only capable of picking up flavor profiles that are as subtle as behing hit in the face with a sledgehammer, while the natural crookedness of Britteeths allows the flavour molecules to hit a broader surface in the mouth.

i know that you're doing a joak here, but imo American cuisine (especially chain restaurants and fast food and pre-prepared meals and take-out type places that are the vast majority of restaurants) are in fact all about bigness and unsubtlety. big cheap portions, big fat and salt hits. the explosively transitory nature of the common nacho cheese dorito, is imo the true soul of american food

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS

Octatonic posted:

i know that you're doing a joak here, but imo American cuisine (especially chain restaurants and fast food and pre-prepared meals and take-out type places that are the vast majority of restaurants) are in fact all about bigness aesthetically. big cheap portions, big fat and salt hits. the explosively transitory nature of the common nacho cheese dorito, is imo the true essences of american food

That's my point. Those habits make it harder to notice subtley in cusine.

Aeryk posted:

The Indians were less subject people and more willing collaborateurs in the ethnical cleanse fest that was the heights of British Empire.

visceril
Feb 24, 2008
Like I said, Ancient Israel split in half over King Solomon's incredibly high taxes and his son's refusal to lower them.

Solomon levied such high taxes (IIRC his tax amount was 666 units which is what Revelation is referencing) to keep up with the Jones around the Levant and to try and convey the "you're better off trading with us than fighting us" message

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Octatonic posted:

i know that you're doing a joak here, but imo American cuisine (especially chain restaurants and fast food and pre-prepared meals and take-out type places that are the vast majority of restaurants) are in fact all about bigness aesthetically. big cheap portions, big fat and salt hits. the explosively transitory nature of the common nacho cheese dorito, is imo the true essences of american food
The boomers made some huge mistakes, but food will not be their legacy. Contemporary American cuisine gives no fucks about ethnicity or tradition as the boomers shat all over everything and is amazingly good.

Chelb
Oct 24, 2010

visceril posted:

Like I said, Ancient Israel split in half over King Solomon's incredibly high taxes and his son's refusal to lower them.

Solomon levied such high taxes (IIRC his tax amount was 666 units which is what Revelation is referencing) to keep up with the Jones around the Levant and to try and convey the "you're better off trading with us than fighting us" message

nobody knows much of anything about israel in the period of solomon iirc

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy

Berke Negri posted:

i don't think it is even considered wrong in the Bible just that the Pharaoh was a dick

only reason you'd think that is b/c of the twisting of christianity by the pro-slavery theology we developed here in 'murica so the slaver elite could justify themselves

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

Rollofthedice posted:

nobody knows much of anything about israel in the period of solomon

It's pretty clear that the other surrounding states were in the poo poo so a strong centralising monarch had a chance to build up Israel+Judah in that time period.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

UberJew posted:

only reason you'd think that is b/c of the twisting of christianity by the pro-slavery theology we developed here in 'murica so the slaver elite could justify themselves

no there's plenty of reason to think that

• Locked thread