Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Irritated Goat posted:

Pissing me off:

I work for an MSP.

In the last few months:

We finally said we were going to treat ourselves like we do our clients. Previous admin team who is constantly booked with client work retains control and doesn't bother responding when I put in a change request to help clean up our systems.

We show work by ticket time\utilization. Today I've had a grand total of 3 tickets taking less than 10 minutes each. Anxiety of worrying i'll be fired is now permanent.

Previously a Infrastructure Engineer, now I'm Service Desk Tier 2. :sigh: I worked 5 years to get out of Tier 1.

Speaking of that, Tier 1 is short handed so we're taking some of their calls for call transfers, password resets and general junk that I think I deserve not to deal with after 5 years of proving myself.

Not pissing me off:

My family is closing on their 1st house (3bd\2bath) in August and the mortgage is only $40 higher than what I pay in rent for an apartment (2bd\1 1/2 bath).

Sorry for venting but holy poo poo, I'm just losing all faith in this company :(

Staying 5 years in T1 and "working up" is usually a poor option unless you are in an area where IT jobs aren't common. No company sees you as proving yourself, it just doesn't happen. How do you read these threads and no just apply to other jobs for better stuff? Go apply for a system administrator job you have 5 years in field. Unless you are one of the people that likes helpdesk, then apply for helpdesk someplace else and make more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

Inspector_666 posted:

EDIT: I just really loving hate the job searching and application process that much.

I have wound up hating the job part of work.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Inspector_666 posted:

I got yelled at the other month because I told my manager it wasn't possible to sort a report the way he wanted (it isn't.)

That was fun.

What was the sorting criteria?

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Dick Trauma posted:

I have wound up hating the job part of work.

Honestly I expect this. I don't think I have the personality or skillset to ever get a job I really enjoy.

Bob Morales posted:

What was the sorting criteria?

All tickets separated by which tech worked them except for specifically titled monthly "project" tickets that went off in their own section. The ticketing system we use doesn't come loving near making this a possibility as far as I can tell.

Inspector_666 fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Jul 27, 2016

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Inspector_666 posted:

Honestly I expect this. I don't think I have the personality or skillset to ever get a job I really enjoy.

You can always build a new skillset :shrug:

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

pixaal posted:

Unless you are one of the people that likes helpdesk, then apply for helpdesk someplace else and make more.

I am one of the crazy people who likes being helpdesk. :gonk:

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

AS/400 guy has the longest, dumbest conversations with cold callers.

"We're on Windows 7"

"Uhh we're probably not looking to change that right now"

"Microsoft Office. Word, Excel..."

"Yea we probably have about 80 to 100 users"

"Yea, I can see that. Yup, that makes sense"

"Well you might have to talk to someone else about that"

"Mostly projects. Not sure about this time of year"

JUST HANG UP THE loving PHONE!

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Inspector_666 posted:

All tickets separated by which tech worked them except for specifically titled monthly "project" tickets that went off in their own section. The ticketing system we use doesn't come loving near making this a possibility as far as I can tell.

I had a request to sort customers by how important they were.

"Sales volumes? Number of orders?"

No, just his little petty ordering scheme.

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

I assume they were just all marked High Importance?

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

FireSight posted:

I am one of the crazy people who likes being helpdesk. :gonk:

I never said people that liked helpdesk are crazy, but not many people do. If you love it go find someplace that will pay good money for someone that does a good job and wants to stick around at it. Make sure to point out that you like helpdesk and want to stay in helpdesk and are good at it during the interview. You have a job so even though you'll get laughed at if I was running an IT department I'd gladly pay 2 salaries for someone who was actually good and would stick around 10+ years. Someone that is good at helpdesk often moves on in 1-2 years (and usually elsewhere) to system administrative work. Everyone else barely has 10% the output of a good person.

Basically find some IT department that actually values good helpdesk work and will pay you well for it. It's gotta exist.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Bob Morales posted:

I had a request to sort customers by how important they were.

"Sales volumes? Number of orders?"

No, just his little petty ordering scheme.

Bubble sort that poo poo with him. Email a list of two customers and ask him which one of the two is more important. Update your list, then repeat for the next two names. He might figure out the issue after 5 iterations.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Fellatio del Toro posted:

I assume they were just all marked High Importance?

If everything's important then it gets dealt with quicker :eng99:

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

pixaal posted:

Basically find some IT department that actually values good helpdesk work and will pay you well for it. It's gotta exist.

I work for a non-profit that respects the IT department. The employees love me, I get awesome benefits, two paid weeks off every summer AND winter that don't come out of my vacation time... I could make more money, yeah, but the perks here are nice.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Get back to your pod :bahgawd:

Arsten
Feb 18, 2003

Thanks Ants posted:

Everything is an emergency and must be dealt with right now!

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Do people genuinely expect that when they define everything as urgent that the team are going to go flat-out for however long this state of emergency is declared for, as opposed to just going "hey cool you can't prioritise things worth a drat"? Or do they do it to play to an audience and convince themselves they have some real managerial chops about them?

Arsten
Feb 18, 2003

Thanks Ants posted:

Do people genuinely expect that when they define everything as urgent that the team are going to go flat-out for however long this state of emergency is declared for, as opposed to just going "hey cool you can't prioritise things worth a drat"? Or do they do it to play to an audience and convince themselves they have some real managerial chops about them?

Bad managers go "Well, they gave 100% of effort, so they can keep doing that without problem! I just have to recreate what I told them before!" Usually, they'll get a team that'll do it for a few months before burning out, and then that team will disintegrate - through attrition or just being burned out - and the manager will be using it to springboard to a better place and when he sees his opportunity fading, the desperation and ratchet up of the bullshit starts happening in earnest to pretend that nothing is wrong for their benefit.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

Thanks Ants posted:

...until someone doesn't respond to a CRITICAL URGENT ticket that needs done RIGHT NOW when they get called and emailed multiple times over the course of 2-3 days. Then you close their ticket with "no response" and they bitch more about you not helping them and pretend they didn't see the emails or check their VMs. Those assholes can eat chode.

Also, yay for work continuing to interrupt my goddamn lunch breaks. I used to bring something or grab a quick bite and eat at my desk so I could browse or do some cert studying. People kept bothering me so I started going out and eating somewhere else regardless of bringing or buying lunch (at my boss's request because he saw people constantly around me). What happens? Dumb assholes light up my cell phone and don't take "I'm on lunch, call someone else" as an answer, then bitch to my boss's boss, who tells me to help them anyways for reasons. Time to start shutting off my phone and telling them to eat a bag of assholes, methinks.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

BOOTY-ADE posted:

...until someone doesn't respond to a CRITICAL URGENT ticket that needs done RIGHT NOW when they get called and emailed multiple times over the course of 2-3 days. Those assholes can eat chode.

Also, yay for work continuing to interrupt my goddamn lunch breaks. I used to bring something or grab a quick bite and eat at my desk so I could browse or do some cert studying. People kept bothering me so I started going out and eating somewhere else regardless of bringing or buying lunch (at my boss's request because he saw people constantly around me). What happens? Dumb assholes light up my cell phone and don't take "I'm on lunch, call someone else" as an answer, then bitch to my boss's boss, who tells me to help them anyways for reasons. Time to start shutting off my phone and telling them to eat a bag of assholes, methinks.

My $AWFUL_JOB used to pay for lunch if we were billing through it. Eventually they stopped that, and said they weren't paying for lunch any more. Fine, me and my friend there would just go out and take long lunches. Eventually they said we couldn't both go out for lunch at the same time, and then later changed it so we weren't allowed to leave during lunch but had to eat at our desks, they didn't say we had to work but it was pretty clear.

Forget that.

Arsten
Feb 18, 2003

Jerk McJerkface posted:

later changed it so we weren't allowed to leave during lunch but had to eat at our desks, they didn't say we had to work but it was pretty clear.

Forget that.

Labor violation. They cannot keep you confined to a specific location during time that is designated as rest, whether they are paying you or not for that time. (This does not apply to TS+ clearance areas.)

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Arsten posted:

Labor violation. They cannot keep you confined to a specific location during time that is designated as rest, whether they are paying you or not for that time. (This does not apply to TS+ clearance areas.)

Yup, most states require 15 minutes of NONWORK TIME every 4 hours or so, some states require more than that, but yeah, you can gently caress your employer over hard if they violate this and you have it documented, especially if you got emailed/voicemail explaining that you are not actually allowed your lunch. They take break time pretty loving seriously.

meanieface
Mar 27, 2012

During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act.

ratbert90 posted:

Lmbo, if somebody yelled at me I would get up and walk right out without a second thought. Holy poo poo why haven't you yet?

I'm currently trying to shove a stick up my rear end to act like a crutch while I grow a new spine.

That, and every recruiter that's contacted me is like "I found a B.A. position for you!" and I want to die a little. I hate BA work. When I asked a recruiter directly about dev positions / positions more in line with what I've been doing for the last two years, he admitted that his company won't put my name out for a programming position unless I have a personal github with personal projects.

I'm thinking about taking the Udacity data analyst nanodegree so I have some level of "proof" that I can do what I actually do. Plus, it would be cool to be able to use more python to do it. Right now my adorable little python code only analyzes file structure.

Arsten
Feb 18, 2003

MF_James posted:

Yup, most states require 15 minutes of NONWORK TIME every 4 hours or so, some states require more than that, but yeah, you can gently caress your employer over hard if they violate this and you have it documented, especially if you got emailed/voicemail explaining that you are not actually allowed your lunch. They take break time pretty loving seriously.

I'd have to go read through my DOL rule sets, but I'm fairly confident that the 15 minutes provided for every 4 hour block of continuous work (required to be paid) as well as a lunch of at least 30 minutes (not necessary to be paid) provided within any 6 hour continuous block of work is a Federal rule and not a state rule. States add all sorts of extra fluff (scheduling constraints, etc) but I think the basics are Federal.

But the point stands that they cannot tell you where to eat your lunch. They can provide you with an area at their option, but if you decide to go to Quiznos, or wherever the hip kids go, they can't stop you. If they have a common area (e.g. "lunch room") and they tell you to eat at your desks, specifically because of your work, that's also a violation. You are to be unencumbered except in specific fringe cases (Emergency services, certain non-ES government & government contract work, Military, previously mentioned security areas, and so forth).

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

BOOTY-ADE posted:

...until someone doesn't respond to a CRITICAL URGENT ticket that needs done RIGHT NOW when they get called and emailed multiple times over the course of 2-3 days. Then you close their ticket with "no response" and they bitch more about you not helping them and pretend they didn't see the emails or check their VMs. Those assholes can eat chode.

Create (or find) the documentation for the actual severity requirements on tickets. If you have a ticketing system in place, there should theoretically be some documentation on what actually quantifies a Critical outage/ticket. If not, make some and see if you can get someone to sign it because it looks nice and professional and should be adhered to by the helldesk peons or whatever.

PBS
Sep 21, 2015

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Create (or find) the documentation for the actual severity requirements on tickets. If you have a ticketing system in place, there should theoretically be some documentation on what actually quantifies a Critical outage/ticket. If not, make some and see if you can get someone to sign it because it looks nice and professional and should be adhered to by the helldesk peons or whatever.

We have that, doesn't stop people from doing it. (Various reasons, 'this is a hands on customer', 'my deadline is in 3 minutes')

OWLS!
Sep 17, 2009

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Bob Morales posted:

AS/400 guy has the longest, dumbest conversations with cold callers.
JUST HANG UP THE loving PHONE!

Back when I did user-facing IT, and had an appropriately pointy-haired boss from hell to go with it, he would actually get super annoyed when I would actively mess with cold callers, and/or just slam the phone down on them after a curt "Sorry, not interested."

Then again, dude was deathly scared of everything, up to and including me making a bet with a ex-marine manager about whether HR would have new employee information to me by Friday.

:wth:: He's literally an ex-marine!
:sun:: So?
:wth:: He will literally break you!
:sun:: This is a professional enviornment, I don't see this happening?
:wth:: Aaaaaaa!

(It was a completely friendly half-joking bet too.)

OWLS! fucked around with this message at 13:25 on Jul 28, 2016

Irritated Goat
Mar 12, 2005

This post is pathetic.

pixaal posted:

Staying 5 years in T1 and "working up" is usually a poor option unless you are in an area where IT jobs aren't common. No company sees you as proving yourself, it just doesn't happen. How do you read these threads and no just apply to other jobs for better stuff? Go apply for a system administrator job you have 5 years in field. Unless you are one of the people that likes helpdesk, then apply for helpdesk someplace else and make more.

I won't get into lots of e\n junk here but having a steady paycheck was\is necessary. I love the people and what the place does for its employees but practices are just :sigh:

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

meanieface posted:

I'm currently trying to shove a stick up my rear end to act like a crutch while I grow a new spine.

That, and every recruiter that's contacted me is like "I found a B.A. position for you!" and I want to die a little. I hate BA work. When I asked a recruiter directly about dev positions / positions more in line with what I've been doing for the last two years, he admitted that his company won't put my name out for a programming position unless I have a personal github with personal projects.

I'm thinking about taking the Udacity data analyst nanodegree so I have some level of "proof" that I can do what I actually do. Plus, it would be cool to be able to use more python to do it. Right now my adorable little python code only analyzes file structure.

To be fair, having a public github account would be a great signal if you don't have direct dev experience on your resume. Half of interviewing involves low pass filtering of candidates that couldn't do fizz buzz, let alone a problem that requires thought. Knowing ahead of time that a phone screen with you let alone an on-site interview wouldn't be a massive waste of everyone's time is a good reason to go ahead with you.

Spend a couple weekends writing code at home for some dumb personal projects (they don't have to be complicated or interesting), make sure that they follow a style guide, and put it up on github.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Arsten posted:

I'd have to go read through my DOL rule sets, but I'm fairly confident that the 15 minutes provided for every 4 hour block of continuous work (required to be paid) as well as a lunch of at least 30 minutes (not necessary to be paid) provided within any 6 hour continuous block of work is a Federal rule and not a state rule. States add all sorts of extra fluff (scheduling constraints, etc) but I think the basics are Federal.

But the point stands that they cannot tell you where to eat your lunch. They can provide you with an area at their option, but if you decide to go to Quiznos, or wherever the hip kids go, they can't stop you. If they have a common area (e.g. "lunch room") and they tell you to eat at your desks, specifically because of your work, that's also a violation. You are to be unencumbered except in specific fringe cases (Emergency services, certain non-ES government & government contract work, Military, previously mentioned security areas, and so forth).

Break time isn't federal. I thought that, too, but Colorado only needs 10 minutes for every four hours, and some places don't require it at all.

I found that out at the same job that required people to work unpaid. My supervisor told me not to log break time, so I asked for clarification because Colorado law requires 10 minutes per four hours. She ended up sending an email to everyone on the team telling them to log break time.

I sent a copy of email chain to myself as soon as I sent it, of course.

Arsten
Feb 18, 2003

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Break time isn't federal. I thought that, too, but Colorado only needs 10 minutes for every four hours, and some places don't require it at all.

I found that out at the same job that required people to work unpaid. My supervisor told me not to log break time, so I asked for clarification because Colorado law requires 10 minutes per four hours. She ended up sending an email to everyone on the team telling them to log break time.

I sent a copy of email chain to myself as soon as I sent it, of course.

You're right. Federal law doesn't require break times, but if break times are provided (like state laws require you to do) they mandate the breaks be paid and the lunches to be unencumbered if unpaid.

I hate reading laws.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

When I was the QA test lead (aka the only QA guy...) for the WFM webapp that our client bought, we had to go through every state law that applied (plus obv federal laws) and get it programmed into the WFM, I think I still have the documentation on what laws were in what states and stuff like that, I should try to dig it up and throw in on dropbox (I'd remove anything industry specific of course). That was a hellish 10 months of a project.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
Neither the CEO nor the idiot office manager understand what "six of one, half a dozen of the other" means. :psyduck:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mY9gVIcRkkI

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.

Sirotan posted:

This post brought to you by October 2014. They stopped shipping them outside of Japan so that's the last one I had. :(

I wish I'd seen this earlier, I could have tried to find one for you, I was just there.

meanieface
Mar 27, 2012

During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act.

Volmarias posted:

To be fair, having a public github account would be a great signal if you don't have direct dev experience on your resume. Half of interviewing involves low pass filtering of candidates that couldn't do fizz buzz, let alone a problem that requires thought. Knowing ahead of time that a phone screen with you let alone an on-site interview wouldn't be a massive waste of everyone's time is a good reason to go ahead with you.

Spend a couple weekends writing code at home for some dumb personal projects (they don't have to be complicated or interesting), make sure that they follow a style guide, and put it up on github.

I do have direct dev experience on my resume. I did dev work as a major part of my internship, and this job for the last two years is 80% coding. The recruiter who refuses to put me forward for a programming job without seeing more "fleshed-out" personal projects knows all of the above, that's why I'm making a :doh: and frustrated that I'm expected to have more.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Users: PLEASE QUIT STORING CUSTOMER CREDIT CARDS

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo

Arsten posted:

You're right. Federal law doesn't require break times, but if break times are provided (like state laws require you to do) they mandate the breaks be paid and the lunches to be unencumbered if unpaid.

I hate reading laws.

Contrary to what you wrote earlier, an "unencumbered" lunch break does not mean you have to be allowed to leave the premise unless state law (Nebraska, Washington) requires it. My state went to far as to write that into the statute.

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Bob Morales posted:

ACT! by Sage Symantec Sage Swiftpage.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

Bob Morales posted:

I don't think that's PCI compliant.

MF_James
May 8, 2008

We have to scrub CCs from our POS app constantly, people just don't get it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

pixaal posted:

I don't think that's PCI compliant.

We finally got PCI compliant CC software last year. But previously the process was to save the customers info locally :haw:

Who in the gently caress...