Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lote
Aug 5, 2001

Place your bets

Discendo Vox posted:

Lawyer & Law School Megathread #12: Started Out Barrister, Ended Up Paranoid Weirdo

You can use one medication for everything now.

Use of Antipsychotics in the Treatment of Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

Bushido Brown posted:

My review was mostly positive (and characterized as "a good review"). I am just a paranoid weirdo.

Sounds like the battered associate grooming program is working.

SlyFrog
May 16, 2007

What? One name? Who are you, Seal?

joat mon posted:

Sounds like the battered associate grooming program is working.

I'm sorry baby, it's just that sometimes, when you can't make it in on the weekend because you have your mother's funeral or something, I just get mad and lose control. But we've got a good thing; you know I love you. Right? Yeah, that's right. Perk up, it's gonna be okay. Now hey, what say you get back to that due diligence.

SlyFrog fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Jul 28, 2016

Nichol
May 18, 2004

Sly Dog

CaptainScraps posted:

You post your dog and your fingers, young lady.

Actually everyone post more dogs.

Goddamnit the only photo of fingers and dogs is all loving Bugles. And no dogs. and neckbrrrd

Elotana
Dec 12, 2003

and i'm putting it all on the goddamn expense account
I like dogs but if I got one it would be cooped up in an apartment 10-12 hours a day depending on traffic/workload and that just seems bad

Cats give fewer fucks

Sir John Falstaff
Apr 13, 2010

Mr. Nice! posted:

Nah that's Dakota.

Are you sure your dog isn't a 12-year-old white girl?

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

Elotana posted:

I like dogs but if I got one it would be cooped up in an apartment 10-12 hours a day depending on traffic/workload and that just seems bad

Cats give fewer fucks

Mid day dog walker.

Eminent Domain
Sep 23, 2007

Dog chat is far superior than law chat.

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009
Real pros see pups on the way to court appearances

http://imgur.com/TS7enxC

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009

terrorist ambulance posted:

Real pros see pups on the way to court appearances

http://imgur.com/TS7enxC

Also, bears

http://imgur.com/a/CkD2k

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
I've made it past 150 job applications since being laid off :toot: Also, I heard through the grapevine I was beat out for the entry level foreclosure job by someone who had quit at my old firm, moved to california for an arranged marriage, and now moved back (no word on the marriage). I guess the faces of disgust I made when being told 'it's ok if you leave at 5, that's why we'll give you a work laptop' and 'well of course everyone needs to drive a 4+ hour drive each way pretty often' didn't help convey my enthusiasm towards capitalism.

At this point I'm hoping trump wins, the economy crashes and I can join the trumpstaffel putting down civil insurrections (i.e. get a foreclosure job again)

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

mastershakeman posted:

I've made it past 150 job applications since being laid off :toot: Also, I heard through the grapevine I was beat out for the entry level foreclosure job by someone who had quit at my old firm, moved to california for an arranged marriage, and now moved back (no word on the marriage). I guess the faces of disgust I made when being told 'it's ok if you leave at 5, that's why we'll give you a work laptop' and 'well of course everyone needs to drive a 4+ hour drive each way pretty often' didn't help convey my enthusiasm towards capitalism.

At this point I'm hoping trump wins, the economy crashes and I can join the trumpstaffel putting down civil insurrections (i.e. get a foreclosure job again)

Family law time young lady.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

CaptainScraps posted:

Family law time young lady.

Or find a mexican (or insert underrepresented minority group in your area) and start a food truck.

yronic heroism
Oct 31, 2008

SlyFrog posted:

I'm not sure. I'm in Minnesota.

We should get a drink sometime I'm passing through the Cities. I assume you drink because this thread.

Tokelau All Star
Feb 23, 2008

THE TAXES! THE FINGER THING MEANS THE TAXES!

My reasonable old man judge in DV court is retiring today (the one who explained to me that "shoot my wad" isn't a sexual reference). I'm dreading how much more depressing it's going to get now.

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider
I had a divorce consult with a stewardess today and I told her she should find someone rich to make her happy.

She said that money didn't make her happy, fun did.

I told her, quote, "The difference between me and you is I'm a whore. I'll do anything for money, and that if they had enough money, they could get me to whip my dick out and put it on the table and that she could either pay me to get divorced or to see my dick, because it cost the same amount."

She gave me the money to get divorced.

And then I thought about that statement most of the day and realized that showing my dick to someone for money is a lot less reprehensible than what lawyers normally do.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Kalman posted:

Mid day dog walker.

My friends, a lawyer/doctor couple uses one of those. Also serves as their weed hookup. Very useful and timesaving!

tau
Mar 20, 2003

Sigillum Universitatis Kansiensis
I love doge chat

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

Scrapps, you offered to show your dick to a client?

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

CaptainScraps posted:

I had a divorce consult with a stewardess today and I told her she should find someone rich to make her happy.

I told her, quote, "The difference between me and you is I'm a whore. I'll do anything for money, and that if they had enough money, they could get me to whip my dick out and put it on the table and that she could either pay me to get divorced or to see my dick, because it cost the same amount."

And then I thought about that statement most of the day and realized that showing my dick to someone for money is a lot less reprehensible than what lawyers normally do.

If I could actually swing my dick around for money do you think I'd ever practice law?

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

Hot Dog Day #91 posted:

Scrapps, you offered to show your dick to a client?

No ethical rules against it.

For real, half of family law initial consults are making your clients like you.

I guess I shouldn't be saying I could make clients like me by showing them my dick but whatever, she had a fun day and gave me some money.

G-Mawwwwwww fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Jul 29, 2016

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

Mr. Nice! posted:

If I could actually swing my dick around for money do you think I'd ever practice law?

Dude, for real, it'd be a great job. Go to the gym all day, then dance all night.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

CaptainScraps posted:

I... I don't follow.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!
Dogge

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009

CaptainScraps posted:

be sure to link your discipline decision for us when you try this with the wrong client

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

CaptainScraps posted:

Dude, for real, it'd be a great job. Go to the gym all day, then dance all night.

My problem is no amount of jacked makes up for being a short bald ginger.

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009
law doge - http://imgur.com/a/EWqmf

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer
Carmen White executed a Texas Apartment Association (TAA) form lease. The most common apartment lease in Texas, used by I would reckon no less than 95% of all apartment complexes here.

Section 12 of the lease provides, in pertinent part: DAMAGES AND REIMBURSEMENT. You must promptly pay or reimburse us for loss, damage, due to... or any other cause not due to [the landlord's] negligence or fault.

Shortly after White moved into her apartment, she [5] received a new washer and dryer as a gift from her parents. ....Though the fire started in the dryer drum, the source of ignition is unknown. White was unable to extinguish the fire, and the ensuing casualty loss exceeded $83,000.

Following the close of evidence, the jury found that White was not negligent, however the trial Court granted White's JNOV on the grounds that the reimbursement provision was ambiguous and against public policy. A divided court of appeals affirmed, holding the reimbursement Provision was not ambiguous, but was void as against public policy. 421 S.W.3d at 256, 258.

Holding that "[C]ompetent parties in Texas 'shall have the utmost liberty of contracting.'" the Supreme Court of Texas overruled the Court of Appeals, and remanding consistent with the holding that White and the Apartment had the right to agree to shift responsibility for all repairs not directly caused by the landlord to the Tenant, and therefore White was liable for the $83,000.00.

God Bless Texas.
Edit: Phila. Indem. Ins. Co. v. White, 2016 Tex. LEXIS 373

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."
Never move to texas. Got it.

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

If I had this dog I would constantly be like "LOOK AT YOUR FEET. THEY LOOK LIKE THEY NEED SOCKS. YOU'RE A DOG. WHERE IS YOUR FUR?"

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

I... I don't follow.

Some of my clients I laugh and joke with and tell them they need a rich husband the next time around and insinuate I handle divorces for lots of rich husbands. She said "I don't need money."

I told her that as a lawyer, I will do literally anything for money, including put my dick on the table.

I judged that I could say that to her because she had already talked about how one of her hobbies was going to Israel and picking up soldiers and how she loved asian dudes and loved to party and getting railed.

In short, that client owned and I gave her a discount because I actually liked to talk with her.

G-Mawwwwwww fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Jul 29, 2016

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!
Uh that decision is...something

hunkrust
Sep 29, 2014
I got an MA in asking leading questions about how sexism isnt real, and regularly fail to grasp that other people have different experience than me or enjoy different things.
I also own multiple fedoras, to go with my leather dusters, and racist pin badges.
I interned for a county judge and the clerk told me about a bachelorette party she was at where they had a stripper. It must have been a wild party because at some point it game out that the stripper was an alum of my law school, apparently he thought he could make more money as a stripper than practicing law

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

This is why I have like a billion in renters insurance.

yronic heroism
Oct 31, 2008

Any Chicagoons handle estates and looking for business? Asking for a friend.

Roger_Mudd
Jul 18, 2003

Buglord

blarzgh posted:

God Bless Texas.
Edit: Phila. Indem. Ins. Co. v. White, 2016 Tex. LEXIS 373

Our Supreme Court (and esp. Chief Justice) is a god drat joke.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
am I missing something about that Texas case? who should be responsible when the tenant burns down a building if not the tenant (that will be judgment proof and have her credit destroyed)

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

The problem is that the lease provision is not actually negotiated. It's boilerplate in a trade-group promulgated form lease that literally every tenant in Texas, save the very rich and very poor, use.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Hot Dog Day #91 posted:

The problem is that the lease provision is not actually negotiated. It's boilerplate in a trade-group promulgated form lease that literally every tenant in Texas, save the very rich and very poor, use.

so? what landlord in their right mind would want to be responsible for their tenant blowing up a building with a meth operation?

Roger_Mudd
Jul 18, 2003

Buglord

mastershakeman posted:

so? what landlord in their right mind would want to be responsible for their tenant blowing up a building with a meth operation?

The case is really about who should have to pay for the insurance.

The uneducated consumer signing boilerplate or the landlord. It's dumb cause the defendant is just gonna file for bk, and the landlord's insurance will probably pay out for landlord. Why not just skip the bk?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Roger_Mudd posted:

The case is really about who should have to pay for the insurance.

The uneducated consumer signing boilerplate or the landlord. It's dumb cause the defendant is just gonna file for bk, and the landlord's insurance will probably pay out for landlord. Why not just skip the bk?

That's definitely true, but it seems like a bad rule to put in place generally.