Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Andrast posted:

Don't play with tcjimbo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

I failed my TFLC Toxx, but I no longer need a double chin strap :buddy:
Pillbug

Andrast posted:

Don't play a moba

I'm fine with this answer. Especially since I have trouble fitting in comp rounds in OW sometimes because of the time commitment, HotS would be even worse.

They just seem so popular that I wonder if I'm missing out.

pointlessone
Aug 6, 2001

The Triad Frog is pleased with this custom title purchase.
New Dva is the best. Bouncing around like a pinball, hoovering up ults like an unwatched kid on Halloween, being able to swap to sniper harassment from point defense instantly... I just wish it would trigger the highlights system. I want to get a play of the game for boosting into a Pharah raining hell down and giving her air hugs with my shield.

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

You shouldn't even be using Mei's primary fire unless it's against someone completely defenseless or isolated. Spam the poo poo out of right click

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Has anyone actually seen an Ana PotG yet?

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo

ImpAtom posted:

its pretty much impossible because anything that would have been her potg is instead credited to the dude she nanoboosted

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Hots has the same problem Overwatch has/is developing that being it's too drat difficult to kill anything. Too many escapes and general tankiness does make for a forgiving casual friendly game but not necessarily a fun one.

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

ImpAtom posted:

i Just got one.

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

Chin Strap posted:

not really. it's a weird RTS-lite genre born from a warcraft 3 mod with incredibly obtuse gameplay elements that each successive game tries to do away with one by one until eventually you get to something like HotS which has barely any of the old school moba stuff left in it.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Kerrrrrrr posted:

not really. it's a weird RTS-lite genre born from a warcraft 3 mod with incredibly obtuse gameplay elements that each successive game tries to do away with one by one until eventually you get to something like HotS which has barely any of the old school moba stuff left in it.

Sort of. DotA is already, from its conception, "What if we got rid of the most skillful and physically demanding parts of WarCraft 3 and added a bunch of knowledge checks to make up for it."

Then it turns out that a) if you give people a little taste of "less physically demanding and less skillful" they never stop wanting to go further, and b) knowledge checks are bewildering to new players without really distinguishing between okay players and good/great ones, which makes okay players feel powerful and privileged.

The older MOBAs are still pretty skillful games because it turns out that SC/WC3 are so complex that you can dumb them down a ton and still have pretty deep games, but they're also full of mechanics that make you compete with "friendly" characters for the same resources and push you to show off individually even though optimal strategies require self-sacrifice and support from at least 1-2 and often from all but one member of a team.

Tuxedo Catfish fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Jul 27, 2016

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007
It's called Nana boost.

creatine
Jan 27, 2012

Heran Bago posted:

I'm reading a good amount online about how Overwatch is a CPU heavy game and how some some players with great GPUs are bottlenecked by the CPU. What's a recommended CPU for this game?

Blizzard recommends "Intel® Core™ i5 or AMD Phenom™ II X3 or better" but just "i5" is super vague, and people with various i5s report a CPU bottleneck.

I have an i3 and r9 270x with all settings on low and usually get 120+ fps with occasional dips to 90 fps in heavy combat.

I am considering an upgrade to an i5 just so I dont stutter when I alt tab to my second monitor

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

net cafe scandal posted:

i Just got one.

Man, how? :smith: It seems like the only way would be a lot of good snipes in a game where nothing else exceptional happens.

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

I shot a bunch of people to death with my gun.

an actual frog
Mar 1, 2007

HEH, HEH, HEH!

Heran Bago posted:

I'm reading a good amount online about how Overwatch is a CPU heavy game and how some some players with great GPUs are bottlenecked by the CPU. What's a recommended CPU for this game?

Blizzard recommends "Intel® Core™ i5 or AMD Phenom™ II X3 or better" but just "i5" is super vague, and people with various i5s report a CPU bottleneck.
Overwatch pretty much maxes out my mildly overclocked i5-2500K (a 5 year old CPU) and in CPU-bound situations bottlenecks around 90fps. If you're buying today an i5-6500 or an end-of-life 4690 would be my picks. I'd avoid AMD.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

net cafe scandal posted:

I shot a bunch of people to death with my gun.

This is the Ana POTG that I've witnessed.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
I was thinking a buff for Ana, prior to this very good one they did the other day, would be to have her scoped shots or maybe even regular shots go through her target and continue on for reduced damage or healing to the targets behind. That way even if she's behind her team she can still score some multi healing shots and or damage. No?

Elpato
Oct 14, 2009

I hate to spoil the ending, but...some stuff gets eaten, y'know?

ColHannibal posted:

It's called Nana boost.

"Hey, you having fun with the other kids? You hungry?"
"No, Nana, I"m not hungry."
"I'll make you something."
"Okay..."
*Is force fed a juice box*
*Quietly shuffles feet as the Nana Boost wears off.*

Nana just wants you to go on a rampage, little guy.

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

You should never post balance suggestions

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

You should never post.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Elpato posted:

"Hey, you having fun with the other kids? You hungry?"
"No, Nana, I"m not hungry."
"I'll make you something."
"Okay..."
*Is force fed a juice box*
*Quietly shuffles feet as the Nana Boost wears off.*

Nana just wants you to go on a rampage, little guy.

TBH Over watch is turning into one of those things where I like the adorable fanart and stuff more than the actual game

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

ImpAtom posted:

I got one on PTR for killing 3 dudes in a row, one of whom was ulting

I have never seen one since

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Duck and Cover posted:

Hots has the same problem Overwatch has/is developing that being it's too drat difficult to kill anything. Too many escapes and general tankiness does make for a forgiving casual friendly game but not necessarily a fun one.

I don't see that at a problem at all. If I wanted to play something where you just turn a corner, insta-kill someone, someone else respawns behind you and insta-kills you, rinse+repeat then i'd just play CoD. Stuff in OW still dies very fast but kind of slow enough to give you time to react and get out of dodge or maybe fight back. I find that a lot more fun. I used to play the poo poo out of Natural Selection more than any other FPS game, which also had relatively high-time-to-kill and that was fun as hell too.

And HoTS got a scaling change about a year ago that made everything die p fast (set at Lvl 20 hp/dmg ratio) so ganks and insta-killing people happens a lot more. Plus some damage creep.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Chin Strap posted:

I'm fine with this answer. Especially since I have trouble fitting in comp rounds in OW sometimes because of the time commitment, HotS would be even worse.

Matchmaking in MOBAs is really good at pairing you with groups of people who have the same skill level as you. After your first several games where you get utterly destroyed it will pair you with people unimaginably bad, and you quickly work up to consistently winning about half of your games. The gameplay itself can be alright - the gameplay rhythms give stakes and weight to the clicking on dudes.

The problem is where MOBA players are the dingleberries of mankind. They make the competitive fighting game scene look wholesome and easy to get into. At best they just don't speak the same language as you.

Do not play them.

Mechanism Eight posted:

Overwatch pretty much maxes out my mildly overclocked i5-2500K (a 5 year old CPU) and in CPU-bound situations bottlenecks around 90fps. If you're buying today an i5-6500 or an end-of-life 4690 would be my picks. I'd avoid AMD.

Pumpy Dumper posted:

I have an i3 and r9 270x with all settings on low and usually get 120+ fps with occasional dips to 90 fps in heavy combat.

I am considering an upgrade to an i5 just so I dont stutter when I alt tab to my second monitor

This is great. I plan on playing with a high Hz monitor so thanks for the numbers.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Xaris posted:

I don't see that at a problem at all. If I wanted to play something where you just turn a corner, insta-kill someone, someone else respawns behind you and insta-kills you, rinse+repeat then i'd just play CoD. Stuff in OW still dies very fast but kind of slow enough to give you time to react and get out of dodge or maybe fight back. I find that a lot more fun. I used to play the poo poo out of Natural Selection more than any other FPS game, which also had relatively high-time-to-kill and that was fun as hell too.

And HoTS got a scaling change about a year ago that made everything die p fast (set at Lvl 20 hp/dmg ratio) so ganks and insta-killing people happens a lot more. Plus some damage creep.

It's about balance. Right now I think Overwatch is fine, but can easily see it becoming an issue. It's closer to being too difficult to kill than too easy. Instead of buffing what Dva needed (damage, fallout etc.) they made her tankier, if they keep balancing that way it's going to make the game worse. As far as Dota likes go , Dota is the most punishing, League next, then Hots. I found League not punishing enough, thus I didn't find Hots all that fun.

Duck and Cover fucked around with this message at 23:43 on Jul 27, 2016

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

Duck and Cover posted:

It's about balance. Right now I think Overwatch is fine, but can easily see it becoming an issue. It's closer to being too difficult to kill than to easy. Instead of buffing what Dva needed (damage, fallout etc.) they made her tankier, if they keep balancing that way it's going to make the game worse. As far as Dota likes go , Dota is the most punishing, League next, then Hots. I found League not punishing enough, thus I didn't find Hots all that fun.

Hots started out with everyone wielding foam weapons and having spammable weak abilities so I think overwatch will be fine in that regard.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Hughmoris posted:

Tracer is OP and needs a nerf. A well played Tracer is just about unstoppable, more so than any other class.

nah, also a good genji's a lot harder to deal with since there are people that straight oneshot tracer from full health and vertical mobility is better than horizontal. discord/damage boost increases that to like half the cast

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

flashman posted:

Hots started out with everyone wielding foam weapons and having spammable weak abilities so I think overwatch will be fine in that regard.

X is caught way out of position by the entire enemy team... and he gets away safely.

Duck and Cover fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Jul 27, 2016

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

good thing his right mouse button was off cooldown

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Xaris posted:

I don't think Overwatch has this problem, it's in a pretty good place for damage output for the most part.

But jesus, if HotS got re-scaled to have higher damage before I started playing, I can't even imagine how awful it must have been before.

Cervix-A-Lot
Sep 29, 2006
Cheeeeesy
This game needs another quick play game mode, team deathmatch with 10 or 12 players on each team that lasts 15 minutes. This would let me test and get better at the heroes instead of ruining people's quick play or doing it in competition.

Greenplastic
Oct 24, 2005

Miao, miao!
gently caress Mei, she's pretty much a war criminal with her sick executions

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
I saw an Ana POTG day one after her release and not again. She had a kill, put someone to sleep, and buffed someone else in a short span, so it seemed appropriate.

Cage Kicker
Feb 20, 2009

End of the fiscal year, bitch.
MP's got time to order pens for year year, hooah?

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made

Lipstick Apathy

Bolow posted:

Mei isn't worth choosing as a counter-pick to D.Va tbh, as Zarya is just as capable of counter playing and is infinitely more useful. I don't even know what they could do with her kit to make her useful at higher levels of play because it feels like she's walking a fine line of being useless and being loving miserable to play against.

Remove Mei, replace with Pyro.

Deep Winter
Mar 26, 2010

ImpAtom posted:

Ster had one his first game after the patch yesterday.

Star
Jul 15, 2005

Guerilla war struggle is a new entertainment.
Fallen Rib
I am not sure and it might be some form of bias, but ever since I hit rank 100+ I feel like I've started getting really enjoyable quick play matches pretty much all of the time. Nice team compositions, people are friendly toward each other, they try to group up and coordinate and they chose roles depending on what's needed.

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

When you hit 100 plus your game is filled with prestiged people. It helps

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal
I'm getting really bored that Blizzard decide how people should have fun, or should not have fun.
You take decision on aspect where no vidéo games on pc interfered before.

You don't want to support 21:9 on native FOV/resolution because for you it give an "unfair advantage".

But tell me, what is a "fair advantage" and an "unfair advantage" ? Are you god ?

Let me remind you that PC Gaming philosophy is , since always to support all available hardware to the maximum of their possibilities.
The only limitation should be hardware, not internal limitation.

Are you putting minimum input lag to make it fair with people having non mechanical keyboard ?

Are you limiting the Maximum DPI of mouse ?

Are you limiting the maximum FPS of graphical cards (the biggest advantage of all.. ask pro players)

Are you limiting the "lag" for making it fair the internets connections ?

Are you limiting the 16/9 FOV to make it Fair with 4/3 screens ?

Are you limiting 5.1 to make it faire with stereo speakers ?

Are you limiting the maximum Action Per Minute, to make it fair with old people ?

Are you limiting 4K monitor, letting people to have more details on long distance ?

So why are you, unilaterally limiting 21:9 screen resolution to be natively supported ?
It's totally discriminatory.

I can't play with my screen, because the 21:9 cropped version make me throw up and headhache after 15minute of play
And on 16/9 resolution i have two gigantic black bars on the side.

Everyone has the freedom to get a 21:9 screen, or a 500$ graphical card, or a pro mechanical keyboard, if they feel to have an advantage with it.

And no pro players can play in good condition with a 100$ Computer anyway.

So why discriminating the 21:9 screens and nothing else ?

This is not console game. It's computer game. It means you accept that some people have an hardware advantage over other people.

And if you want to force competitive player to some hardware, feel free to organize your offline tournaments.

moreover 21:9 is the future. So you should support it.
You're the only vidéogame éditor to force such stupid rules.

It's a Game. Remember? A game. The first purpose is that people enjoy it.
All people.
The one with good mouse, the one with top notch computer, and the one with 21:9 screen too.

What you do is putting an unfair limitation to the hardware of some ppl but not others.
You should be totally neutral.
Even if people have a 360° FOV screen, 4000FPS graphical card and 5000x5000resolution, you should allow it. IT'S PC GAMING !!

You're really pissing us off to decide how we should have fun and everything.

You have the same tyran mentality when you prevent ppl for quitting a game. i saw that you had prevented a quitting option.

If all the team is agree to quit the game because they don't have fun.
Why the !@#$ would you want to force them to continue the game until the end?
THEY ARE NOT CURRENTLY HAVING FUN.
THEY DONT LIKE THAT.
THEY ARE THE ONE LOSING POINT. they know better.

Does it bother the opponent team ?
Not really.
I never saw a team complaining about winning.
And continuing a game with half AFK people isn't fun either.

IF continuing to play an unfair game frustrates 100% of the player of the game, why would you prevent them to quit ?

What kind of tyran are you ?

Stop putting your nose to everything.
focus on making a fair balance beetween heroes,

And let the people play, or not play the way they want, with hardware as good as they want.

The one in charge of all this really seem to be a very frustrated little tyrannic person, jealous too, that want that people suffer the game like if it was a serious work.

But guess what ? I'm really close to boycott your games now, to make you bad reputation, and from what I could read on all the 21:9 topic that you have deleted, i'm not alone.

Some of us play to have fun after work. not to receive implicits orders from anothers little chiefs that have to tell you how to do this or that, how you should eat an apple, and how you should make your %^-*.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

source your quotes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

flashman posted:

When you hit 100 plus your game is filled with prestiged people. It helps

your level doesn't affect matchmaking at all