Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
i can't figure out how to
This poll is closed.
remove 69 3.49%
the 420 21.24%
poll 1488 75.27%
Total: 1977 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Octatonic
Sep 7, 2010

Mr. Wookums posted:

The boomers made some huge mistakes, but food will not be their legacy. Contemporary American cuisine gives no fucks about ethnicity or tradition as the boomers shat all over everything and is amazingly good.

i agree, but i think the bigness aesthetic is going to be a lasting legacy. like even foodies and millennials and hipsters love giant hoppy ipas and fruit-forward wines and salt, chilli and acid heavy salsas, and big, layered, complex curries and so on.

and all those things are awesome

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy

Mr. Wookums posted:

The boomers made some huge mistakes, but food will not be their legacy. Contemporary American cuisine gives no fucks about ethnicity or tradition as the boomers shat all over everything and is amazingly good.

american cuisine is the sushi fusion joint in downtown run by a guy fieri motherfucker that has the weirdest loving stuff in their rolls but still makes sure everything is high quality and prepared right

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret
Yeah, just going off the summaries of others but the bible seems to have a lot of slavery and genocide talk.

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS

pangstrom posted:

Yeah, just going off the summaries of others but the bible seems to have a lot of slavery and genocide talk.

He's from the South, IIRC.

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill

pangstrom posted:

the bible is mostly slavery, genocide, and petty dynastic politics

Chelb
Oct 24, 2010

I'm gonna show SA-kun my shitposting!

Disinterested posted:

It's pretty clear that the other surrounding states were in the poo poo so a strong centralising monarch had a chance to build up Israel+Judah in that time period.

sure

disjoe
Feb 18, 2011

The Bible just treats slavery as a thing that exists and doesn't strongly condemn or promote it. It was so deeply ingrained that no one questioned the institution.

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

The Highest Judge of Paradise
Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

nutranurse posted:

It was like Game of Thrones except it only took 1000 some years to finish.

disjoe
Feb 18, 2011

Gravel Gravy posted:

It was like Game of Thrones except it only took 1000 some years to finish.

So exactly Game of Thrones then

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

UberJew posted:

only reason you'd think that is b/c of the twisting of christianity by the pro-slavery theology we developed here in 'murica so the slaver elite could justify themselves

haha *slams oversized foam hulk fist down on giant red button labeled WRONG*

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

Disinterested posted:

no there's plenty of reason to think that

not ityool 2016

they went through the whole 'supporting slavery' thing and came out the other side already

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

You look like you're still raking it in. Still killing 'em?

nutranurse posted:

there's some funny story about the gothic man translating the bible for the goths leaving out the book of kings in case it gave the goths more genocidal ideas

Chelb
Oct 24, 2010

sometimes i worry that posting 'sure' will be interpreted as a sarcastic 'sure' rather than a 'sure' of assent

visceril
Feb 24, 2008

disjoe posted:

Lol

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

UberJew posted:

not ityool 2016

they went through the whole 'supporting slavery' thing and came out the other side already

this is super incoherent, you're talking about christianity as a movement not in terms of its founding ideology and documents which is the conversation everyone else was having

Aeryk
Aug 31, 2006

Ah. It must have been when I was younger.
Fun Shoe

Rollofthedice posted:

sometimes i worry that posting 'sure' will be interpreted as a sarcastic 'sure' rather than a 'sure' of assent

sure

visceril
Feb 24, 2008

Rollofthedice posted:

I thought it was sarcastic at first but then I looked to the left and knew it was sincere

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
saying 'well christianity seems pretty pro-slavery as long as you ignore every development from the last two hundred years' is a bit unfair :shrug:

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Disinterested posted:

there's some funny story about the man gothic man translating the bible for the goths leaving out the book of kings in case it gave the goths more genocidal ideas

hahaha really? thats awesome.

the history of the translation of the bible is insanely interesting. i legit wonder how much stuff has changed, been dropped, etc etc

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

disjoe posted:

Well it doesn't feel like 1000 years when it only happened 500 years ago

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

UberJew posted:

saying 'well the world seems pretty pro-slavery as long as you ignore every development from the last two hundred years' is a bit fair :shrug:

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

and poo poo man there have never been more slaves alive than now

Chelb
Oct 24, 2010

dont play games with me artisanal larp man

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

Disinterested posted:

this is super incoherent, you're talking about christianity as a movement not in terms of its founding ideology and documents which is the conversation everyone else was having

'the bible' is usually used as shorthand for what christians should believe right now, so sorry for misinterpreting

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

nutranurse posted:

the history of the translation of the bible is insanely interesting. i legit wonder how much stuff has changed, been dropped, etc etc

I liked Reza Aslan's book for this reason. Not so much that it is all 100% verifiable but because it is a legit interesting take on Jesus

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

The modern translations are straight from the Greek and not so bad

King James tho lol

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

nutranurse posted:

yeah i think the story appears in diamaid macculloch somewhere, there are lots of funny stories from early christian missionaries like a norse/north german bible where jesus is depicted as a warlord chieftan ala beowulf or south east asian missionaries having to use pigs instead of sheep for the pastoral metaphors because there weren't sheep so services were 'behold my swine' etc.

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

nutranurse posted:

we can talk about how garbage and an insult to human dignity the prison industrial complex is instead im down for that

Aeryk
Aug 31, 2006

Ah. It must have been when I was younger.
Fun Shoe

nutranurse posted:

this is an interesting site

http://codexsinaiticus.org/en/

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

euphronius posted:

King James tho lol

i think you said king james when you meant to say vulgate but ok

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Octatonic posted:

i agree, but i think the bigness aesthetic is going to be a lasting legacy. like even foodies and millennials and hipsters love giant hoppy ipas and fruit-forward wines and salt, chilli and acid heavy salsas, and big, layered, complex curries and so on.

and all those things are awesome

yeah we'll never not be fat. I'm aok with overly aggressive flavors; that will hopefully be what out grandkids bitch at us about.

UberJew posted:

american cuisine is the sushi fusion joint in downtown run by a guy fieri motherfucker that has the weirdest loving stuff in their rolls but still makes sure everything is high quality and prepared right
:yum: although I hope the celeb chef stuff ends

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Disinterested posted:

i think you said king james when you meant to say vulgate but ok

Vulgate is not popular in America

Chelb
Oct 24, 2010

euphronius posted:

Vulgate is not popular in America

i don't know, americans are pretty vulgate

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

euphronius posted:

King James tho lol

lol if youre reading the bible for ~*accuracy*~ and not ~*spiritual artistry*~

kings james version is truthy enough and way prettier to speak/read and what better way to connect to something as ethereal as god than something as ethereal as artistic literature :colbert:

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

nutranurse posted:

other than probably native americans, are there many populations you can't make this claim for?

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

UberJew posted:

'the bible' is usually used as shorthand for what christians should believe right now, so sorry for misinterpreting

i think the point we were emphasising is that moving away from slavery is something that christians did without the direct authority of their holy texts, which are quite ambiguous or accepting about it, though obviously there are plenty of specifically christian anti-slavery arguments

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Mr. Wookums posted:

:yum: although I hope the celeb chef stuff ends

celeb worship is only growing, not shrinking

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Disinterested posted:

both country's main access to spicy food is from a de-natured version of the cuisine of a subject people

actually i just drive to mexico

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Also don't read the Old Testament if your a Christian

Or the epistles

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chelb
Oct 24, 2010

euphronius posted:

Also don't read the Old Testament if your a Christian