Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

mandatory lesbian posted:

i hope to god this subplot ends with emrakul joining the gatewatch, is what i'm saying

I will be not even vaguely surprised and in fact completely expect that when Emrakul emerges from the Silver Moon, it will have both humanoid form and be of ambiguous alignment, possibly even a straight up good guy.

Magic's story is basically fanfic level and absurd heel-face turns are legendarily common in that type of fiction (e.g. "Draco Malfoy was actually a good guy who was trying to stop Voldemort behind the scenes, and oh, he was secretly dating Hermione Granger. Also, Ron is a Death Eater.").

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
which dere is emra-kami supposed to be

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Elyv posted:

No the actual best part was Jace tilting super hard when emrakul made the chess pieces come to life or w/e

in the Magic the Gathering movie, a thing that is definitely still happening, that scene will be accompanied by Cindi Lauper's hit song "Girls Just Wanna Have Fun"

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Angry Grimace posted:

I will be not even vaguely surprised and in fact completely expect that when Emrakul emerges from the Silver Moon, it will have both humanoid form and be of ambiguous alignment, possibly even a straight up good guy.

Magic's story is basically fanfic level and absurd heel-face turns are legendarily common in that type of fiction (e.g. "Draco Malfoy was actually a good guy who was trying to stop Voldemort behind the scenes, and oh, he was secretly dating Hermione Granger. Also, Ron is a Death Eater.").

i am honestly kinda torn about this story because on the one hand turning the ineffable god of madness into an anime villain is supremely retarded, on the other hand, its the kind of supremely retarded i like

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
like that story was the stupidest thing i've read for a while and yet i loved every minute of it

for the love of god liliana goes super saiyan and starts firing beams of death energy out of her hands, i want whatever this writer is smoking

uninverted
Nov 10, 2011

Molybdenum posted:

That T2 line of play requires a perfect 7 of 8 or 9 cards and gets you 4 for 1d by mana leak, spell pierce, shadow of doubt, etc. Even turn 1 bolt the mana dork puts you behind.

Sure, if you watch the videos where he played the deck I think he only gets the turn 2 dream once or twice. It's definitely a bad idea to go for it into blue mana from your opponent and you'd probably want to side most of the cute stuff out in those matchups.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

i am honestly kinda torn about this story because on the one hand turning the ineffable god of madness into an anime villain is supremely retarded, on the other hand, its the kind of supremely retarded i like

All I am saying is to not be surprised if Jace is adventuring with a loli-tsundere named Emeria-chan in tow about three blocks from now.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Angry Grimace posted:

All I am saying is to not be surprised if Jace is adventuring with a loli-tsundere named Emeria-chan in tow about three blocks from now.

Emeria-chan: Oh jace your incredible intelligence has caused me to cast aside my evil ways and i only want to be with you until we can become as one
Liliana: you best step off my man bitch
Jace: I'm gay

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
i'm okay with that word filter

80s James Hetfield
Jan 20, 2004

METAL UP YOUR ASS
A third eldrazi has crashed into Innistrad

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
https://www.facebook.com/MagicTheGathering/posts/10157125665350307:0

quote:

King Brago is no more, and the Black Rose has taken the crown of Paliano. But for how long?

This summer we’re releasing Conspiracy: Take the Crown, a multiplayer draft set filled with political intrigue and treacherous alliances. To celebrate, we’re holding a special event in seven stores around the world on August 20th where fans will get the chance to draft with the new set before anyone else – including a first look at preview cards exclusive to each store! Players will be able to follow along all weekend with live social media coverage on Twitter and Facebook, so be sure to follow us for all the newest previews and plays.

The event will be held in the following stores:

• Academia de Jogos (Sao Paulo, Brazil)
• Dark Tower Games (Bellingham, WA)
• Games Laboratory (Melbourne, Australia)
• Jonny no Omise (Hiroshima, Japan)
• Kirwan’s Game Store (Catskill, NY)
• Warez Gaming (Bournemouth, UK)
• Shanghai M3 Magic Card Store (Shanghai, China)

We’ll have more information about the event as we get closer to the release of the set, so stay tuned!

Kirwan's is three hours from me. :( The set releases six days later, so shouldn't we have the full spoiler on Friday the 19th? If that is how they're doing supplementary set spoilers, that is. If they are, maybe the exclusive preview cards are for Kaladesh?

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
The Galactus trope. I think we all saw that coming eh?

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

One in the states and one in an awkward bit of the UK for the whole of Europe, but china and Japan get one each?

Why make this just 7 stores? If I was WotC I would have one for at least every world magic cup team.

Wurzag
Jun 3, 2007

Bad Moons, Bad Moons, wot ya gonna do?

Come to think of it the Eldrazi have only ever hosed up planes which they got lured to against their will. We only have Ugin's theorizing that they've ever done anything other than chill in the blind eternities. Basically what I'm saying is the Eldrazi did nothing wrong.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

The Galactus trope. I think we all saw that coming eh?

I mean, the "Chaotic Neutral Cosmic Abomination" is a pretty common fantasy archetype and they're very rarely without purpose or actually evil. I'm sure they'll justify it as MANA IMBALANCES DESTROYING THE MULTIVERSE or some poo poo.

Thisuck
Apr 29, 2012

Spoilers
Pillbug

in the Magic the Gathering movie, a thing that is definitely still happening, that scene will be accompanied by Cindi Lauper's hit song "Girls Just Wanna Have Fun"

For some reason, the first song I thought of for that was Queen - Don't Stop me now, but I think "Girls Just Wanna Have Fun" is a lot more appropriate. Jace getting mad at (Smug) Jace was the best part, this story was like a summer action movie, kinda dumb but entertaining. I wonder what they're going to do to start up Kaladesh.

Scene: The Jacetice League is just chilling around a fire while helping the survivors with rebuilding, then a little boy runs up to Chandra and delivers a "telegram" from her mother, who's suppose to be dead, saying "I'm alive, but please don't look for me, and whatever you do, don't come to Kaladesh" Chandra then goes "I NEED TO SAVE MY MOTHER!", then Jace goes "THE GATEWATCH IS GOING TO KALADESH!". Cue freeze frame at them jumping in the air/planeswalking.

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:

Establish the Buns

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:

Wurzag posted:

Come to think of it the Eldrazi have only ever hosed up planes which they got lured to against their will. We only have Ugin's theorizing that they've ever done anything other than chill in the blind eternities. Basically what I'm saying is the Eldrazi did nothing wrong.

They were wrecking planes for a long time which is why Sorin, Ugin, and Nahiri imprisoned them on Zendikar in the first place.

Northjayhawk
Mar 8, 2008

by exmarx
Wow, that was.... quite a plot twist. I've never been that surprised by a Magic story before.

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010

Thisuck posted:

For some reason, the first song I thought of for that was Queen - Don't Stop me now, but I think "Girls Just Wanna Have Fun" is a lot more appropriate. Jace getting mad at (Smug) Jace was the best part, this story was like a summer action movie, kinda dumb but entertaining. I wonder what they're going to do to start up Kaladesh.

Scene: The Jacetice League is just chilling around a fire while helping the survivors with rebuilding, then a little boy runs up to Chandra and delivers a "telegram" from her mother, who's suppose to be dead, saying "I'm alive, but please don't look for me, and whatever you do, don't come to Kaladesh" Chandra then goes "I NEED TO SAVE MY MOTHER!", then Jace goes "THE GATEWATCH IS GOING TO KALADESH!". Cue freeze frame at them jumping in the air/planeswalking.

<-- TO BE CONTINUED

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

dragon enthusiast posted:

<-- TO BE CONTINUED

If we somehow had a JJBA inspired plane, I would be the happiest man in ZA WORLDO.

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

Madmarker posted:

If we somehow had a JJBA inspired plane, I would be the happiest man in ZA WORLDO.

I was trying to think of a way to incorporate Stands, but Totem Armor trumped what I was thinking. I don't know how you make a JJBA plane without making Stands great. Like... JJBA is normal life except that.

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

HOLD ON! Is someone in here disrespecting the story?

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

Count Bleck posted:

Time for my master plan! TAMIYO! PUT ME IN THE MOON!

Turns out that Emrakul was trans all along. Hopefully we get a new superhero team once these Gatewatch chucklefucks are dead, made from the actual heroes in the story - Tamiyo, Moon'rakul, Nahiri, Koth, and Zombie Elspeth.

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

Shadow225 posted:

I was trying to think of a way to incorporate Stands, but Totem Armor trumped what I was thinking. I don't know how you make a JJBA plane without making Stands great. Like... JJBA is normal life except that.

Make cards that are like planeswalker cards, loyalty abilities, same attacking rules, however you can only ever control 1 stand and if its loyalty would be reduced, your life is reduced by a commensurate amount.

Barry Shitpeas
Dec 17, 2003

there is no need
to be upset

Winner POTM July 2013
I really hope that the Kaladesh story is that everything is fine and then Chandra turns up and ruins everything

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?

Angry Grimace posted:

It says terrible things about me that I would be entertained by this. It would be incredibly stupid but in a marvelous way.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

Barry Shitpeas posted:

I really hope that the Kaladesh story is that everything is fine and then Chandra turns up and ruins everything

We haven't had an insurgency story in forever and I really dig the style of Kaladesh so I have high hopes.

Death Bot
Mar 4, 2007

Binary killing machines, turning 1 into 0 since 0011000100111001 0011011100110110
I think being completely ridiculous and absurd is more interesting at least than simply being a little cheesy. I don't think the novelty would last but going full anime over the top etc sounds better than "well here's another big fireball for the new bad guy"

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007
I wish we could get an Adventures of Buckaroo Banzai across the Eighth Dimension plane

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.
The story of "Emrakul decided to trap itself by warping wrath of god into song of the dryads but blue" makes the eldrazi a lot more interesting than "kozilek and ulamog get burned to death by the power of friendship".

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

Liliana thinks to herself that friends are just like better zombies and I half expect her to break into a Disney villain musical number at any given moment. Also the voices from the Chain Veil were calling Emrakul the World-Ender and World-Creator, throwing Proper Nouns all over the place with gratuitous vagueness. It really is just like one of my japanese animes.

Nibble
Dec 28, 2003

if we don't, remember me

BJPaskoff posted:

https://www.facebook.com/MagicTheGathering/posts/10157125665350307:0

Kirwan's is three hours from me. :( The set releases six days later, so shouldn't we have the full spoiler on Friday the 19th? If that is how they're doing supplementary set spoilers, that is. If they are, maybe the exclusive preview cards are for Kaladesh?

It's just over an hour from me, but yeah of all places in NY I wonder why that one.

Lets Pickle
Jul 9, 2007

I live in Bellingham, WA, and play mostly at Dark Tower, I have no idea how we got this event at our store. Hopefully I will be able to make it and won't be out of town. Conspiracy rocks.

Thisuck
Apr 29, 2012

Spoilers
Pillbug
I recall hearing something about Conspiracy prints of modern legal cards are not legal in Modern?

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Thisuck posted:

I recall hearing something about Conspiracy prints of modern legal cards are not legal in Modern?

I don't see why they wouldn't be? Maybe you heard someone explain to someone that not all cards in Conspiracy are Modern-legal, which is definitely true.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Thisuck posted:

Probably what whoever you heard that from meant was "just because something is printed in the modern card frame, in a set like Conspiracy or Duel Decks or Commander or whatever does not make the card modern-legal."

E.g. Misdirection, which was reprinted in the first Conspiracy, is not Modern-legal, because it hasn't shown up in a normal standard-legal set since Mercadian Masques.

The cut-off for modern is when they adopted the new card frame, but you can't just go by that because there's a bunch of exceptions from supplementary products that have reprints in the new card frame but were never standard-legal.

What makes a card Modern-legal is if it was in a regular expansion set from 8th Edition or later. That includes only the core and block sets, not any non-standard-legal stuff like Duel Decks, Commander, Conspiracy, Planechase, etc. etc.

If a card is legal in a constructed format, you can use any printing of the card in that format. Lightning Bolt was in Magic 2011, which makes it Modern legal, but you can use your Revised or Beta Lightning Bolts in your Modern deck if you want to. And you can use any other sort of promo or special set version of it. If a card is legal, you can use any version of that card from any printing.

Entropic fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Jul 27, 2016

Northjayhawk
Mar 8, 2008

by exmarx
So, in 3 or 4 years when we revisit Innistrad, I assume the moon will crack like an egg, hatching out Emrakul and 2 brand-new titans to replace Ulamog and Kozilek.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

Lets Pickle posted:

I live in Bellingham, WA, and play mostly at Dark Tower, I have no idea how we got this event at our store. Hopefully I will be able to make it and won't be out of town. Conspiracy rocks.

Dark Tower already has a pptq that day lol. I think it will be some sort of exhibition with only invitees playing.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?

Northjayhawk posted:

So, in 3 or 4 years when we revisit Innistrad, I assume the moon will crack like an egg, hatching out Emrakul and 2 brand-new titans to replace Ulamog and Kozilek.

1 new titan. The other titan is Delver finally achieving his destiny.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

The Demogorgon is tired of your silly human bickering!

Northjayhawk posted:

The egg will hatch into the baby of emeria and jace.

• Locked thread