Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rick_Hunter
Jan 5, 2004

My guys are still fighting the hard fight!
(weapons, shields and drones are still online!)

Jack Gladney posted:

Are there also democrats who dress like patriotic cartoons like that? I never see them photographed.

They don't but I'm sure there's a picture on Allenbwest.com of some woman with a Palestinian flag head scarf and that must mean that all LIEberals want to kill the Jews.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Chilichimp posted:

Holy poo poo

Trump_death_rally.jpg

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

And the idea was, the evangelical goes to the nearest man and then he'd start poundin' and hollerin' and screamin' and sometimes the evangelical would go away. Sometimes she wouldn't go away. Sometimes that evangelical, she looks right into you. Right into your eyes. You know the thing about an evangelical, she's got... lifeless eyes, black eyes, like a doll's eye. When she comes at ya, doesn't seem to be livin'. Until she votes, and those black eyes roll over white. And then, ah... then you hear that terrible high pitch screamin' and the ocean turns red and spite of all the poundin' and the hollerin' they all come in and rip you to pieces.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Who needs 30,000 flags when you have Madeline Albright's pin?

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Vote Antichrist and prepare the way for Christ's return.

UFOTacoMan
Sep 22, 2005

Thanks easter bunny!
bok bok!
This belongs here:

GalacticAcid posted:

https://twitter.com/robbysoave/status/758356624717127680

lel. how is this creep still slithering around the scene.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer
So, Conservatives believe that gun-free zones don't work... but believe that building a wall to make America an illegal-immigrant-free zone will?

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Jurgan posted:

What is wrong with people?

Fear. Coupled with the American Dream gradually and rather efficiently being moved away from their grasp and wondering who to blame for it. Trump and his supporters are right about the system being rigged, the American Dream being unobtainable and the system having been constructed to arrive there being utterly demolished but they're wrong and misguided about who's to blame.

As long as they can blame "others"; the poor, the weak, the powerless and the voiceless who lack the platform and the means to rebut it, it makes for an easy scapegoat. Hence "LOSERS". Then when presented with a bright, shiny, rich celebrity to vote for who tells them why they're right and who will stoke their anger and play off their hopelessness, they'll endorse him out of desperation and, again, fear, forgetting all along that their all the same "losers" their savior admonishes.

It's similar to the astonishing amount of poor people who hand over their life's savings to televangelists, faith healers and cable access churches/revival tents. They can't afford a doctor or a mental health professional but $25 or $50 for magical healing water or eternal salvation seems like a bargain.

Chilichimp posted:

So, Conservatives believe that gun-free zones don't work... but believe that building a wall to make America an illegal-immigrant-free zone will?

Didn't Reagan once famously say "Tear down this wall?" I can't wrap my head around the cognitive dissonance. "Ok YOU! Yeah YOU. Tear down THAT wall. But not this one. We need to build this OTHER wall. It's totally different. A whole other sort of wall"

BiggerBoat fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Jul 27, 2016

Filthy Haiku
Oct 22, 2010

i am shattering like glass

but at least
i have

springy ride

Chilichimp posted:

When I asked a co-worker about how would a wall stop anyone with a ladder, tunnel or raft, he gave a flimsy "well obviously every inch of it will be manned". I pointed out how ludicrously expensive that would be and he conceded that it was pretty much symbolic. I couldn't pry what it actually symbolized from him though. :nallears:

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
There are more phallic symbols out there than a wall. Sad!

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

BiggerBoat posted:

Didn't Reagan once famously say "Tear down this wall?" I can't wrap my head around the cognitive dissonance. "Ok YOU! Yeah YOU. Tear down THAT wall. But not this one. We need to build this OTHER wall. It's totally different. A whole other sort of wall"

He clearly meant whatever fits my argument the wall between the rich and the rich having even more money, obviously.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Filthy Haiku posted:

When I asked a co-worker about how would a wall stop anyone with a ladder, tunnel or raft, he gave a flimsy "well obviously every inch of it will be manned". I pointed out how ludicrously expensive that would be and he conceded that it was pretty much symbolic. I couldn't pry what it actually symbolized from him though. :nallears:

"This dumbshit expensive thing won't work but it will make me feel good" is the conservative motto.

Eggplant Squire fucked around with this message at 21:30 on Jul 27, 2016

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Yinlock posted:

He clearly meant whatever fits my argument the wall between the rich and the rich having even more money, obviously.

No, he meant the wall between East and West Berlin.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

UFOTofuTacoCat posted:

This belongs here:

I'm legitimately curious, is he there for one of his "'investigations" or otherwise to be subversive, or is he a legit Hillary supporter?

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Lightning Knight posted:

I'm legitimately curious, is he there for one of his "'investigations" or otherwise to be subversive, or is he a legit Hillary supporter?

You gotta be making GBS threads me.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Lemniscate Blue posted:

You gotta be making GBS threads me.

I mean, he could be a NeverTrump.

What do you want from me, I thought that guy stopped being relevant after 2008. :saddowns:

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?

Phone posted:

There are more phallic symbols out there than a wall. Sad!

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer
So I listened to Rush today for like 20 minutes.

I caught an entire segment where he was trying to take a jab at Bill Clinton. He made a joke that he was a "smooth operator" and had his booth person play that song...

Well, they played the wrong song, but it took them like 40 seconds of airtime to realize it was an instrumental remix.

So then...

He had the booth person find the real version and play it. It's like halfway into that song before the lyrics "smooth operator" is ever uttered. And Rush is just having him play that song without any discussion until that part comes up. Rush incorrectly guesses the part where the chorus starts like 3 separate times. The entire segment was just some rendition of smooth operator, and Rush talking about the song Smooth operator. It wasn't even clear to me what Bill Clinton did, that Rush was referring to.

This has been my Rush Limbaugh segment story.

Chilichimp fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Jul 27, 2016

NameHurtBrain
Jan 17, 2015

Lightning Knight posted:

I mean, he could be a NeverTrump.

What do you want from me, I thought that guy stopped being relevant after 2008. :saddowns:

Trump is the patron saint of Attention Whores

NeverTrumper isn't on the table.

McGlockenshire
Dec 16, 2005

GOLLOCKS!

Radish posted:

"This dumbshit expensive thing won't work but it will make me feel good" is the conservative motto.

Fiscally conservative!

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Radish posted:

It's super not, though, and Milton Friedman is spinning in his grave.

Bast Relief
Feb 21, 2006

by exmarx

Chilichimp posted:

So I listened to Rush today for like 20 minutes.

I caught an entire segment where he was trying to take a jab at Bill Clinton. He made a joke that he was a "smooth operator" and had his booth person play that song...

Well, they played the wrong song, but it took them like 40 seconds of airtime to realize it was an instrumental remix.

So then...

He had the booth person find the real version and play it. It's like halfway into that song before the lyrics "smooth operator" is ever uttered. And Rush is just having him play that song without any discussion until that part comes up. Rush incorrectly guesses the part where the chorus starts like 3 separate times. The entire segment was just some rendition of smooth operator, and Rush talking about the song Smooth operator. It wasn't even clear to me what Bill Clinton did, that Rush was referring to.

Well, it's not like he had anything important to say anyway, might as well gently caress around with the audio. Might have even been a relief to have something use up some airtime.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

BiggerBoat posted:

Fear. Coupled with the American Dream gradually and rather efficiently being moved away from their grasp and wondering who to blame for it. Trump and his supporters are right about the system being rigged, the American Dream being unobtainable and the system having been constructed to arrive there being utterly demolished but they're wrong and misguided about who's to blame.

As long as they can blame "others"; the poor, the weak, the powerless and the voiceless who lack the platform and the means to rebut it, it makes for an easy scapegoat. Hence "LOSERS". Then when presented with a bright, shiny, rich celebrity to vote for who tells them why they're right and who will stoke their anger and play off their hopelessness, they'll endorse him out of desperation and, again, fear, forgetting all along that their all the same "losers" their savior admonishes.

It's similar to the astonishing amount of poor people who hand over their life's savings to televangelists, faith healers and cable access churches/revival tents. They can't afford a doctor or a mental health professional but $25 or $50 for magical healing water or eternal salvation seems like a bargain.

Same way they rationalize a narcissistic billionaire who has bankrupted nearly every business he's run, scammed thousands out of their life savings with his "university", and insulted everyone he ever met with no remorse is a brilliant politician friend of the everyman who cares about them: just dive deep into the bubble and plug your ears when anything that dares intrude on your fantasy comes up. The fantasy is the real important thing in life, and it must be protected at all costs.

Rick_Hunter
Jan 5, 2004

My guys are still fighting the hard fight!
(weapons, shields and drones are still online!)

Geostomp posted:

Same way they rationalize a narcissistic billionaire who has bankrupted nearly every business he's run, scammed thousands out of their life savings with his "university", and insulted everyone he ever met with no remorse is a brilliant politician friend of the everyman who cares about them: just dive deep into the bubble and plug your ears when anything that dares intrude on your fantasy comes up. The fantasy is the real important thing in life, and it must be protected at all costs.

I mean they're buying the entire "It was them boys, get 'em!" line pretty hard. Once the economy stagnates, prices go up, and the only jobs that are created are low entry/at-will jobs who do you think they're going to blame? That's right - welfare leeches, minorities, and foreigners. Humans are pretty predictable.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer
Did I tell you guys the lastest hilarity to emerge from my work-place proximity acquaintance who is a conservative hack?

He was trying to convince me of what a great man Donald Trump is by pointing me towards all of the great and generous things he's done...

He talked about that Marine in Mexican jail that he gave 25 large to: http://www.thepoliticalinsider.com/donald-trump-quietly-helped-marine-whom-obama-ignored/

He also talked about this one time Trump was stranded on a highway and his driver couldn't change his flat tire. This elderly couple stopped and helped the driver with the flat and the driver wanted to know if they wanted to meet the rich guy in the back. The Rich guy was none other than Donald Jatavius Trump. Trump asked the couple what he could do to repay them, and the old man said "send my wife some flowers".
Well, Trump made good on that promise and later that week when they got home, a vase of flowers was there with a note that said "I have paid off your mortgage."

I found a link to that story here. (Snopes: False)

He's under the impression that Donald Trump has been doing great poo poo like this for random strangers for years, and never calls attention to it because he doesn't want the publicity.

Later in the conversation, he was very butt-hurt about the fact that I never believe him.

Chilichimp fucked around with this message at 23:19 on Jul 27, 2016

beatlegs
Mar 11, 2001

I'm sure Trump has a soft side, but i'm also quite sure it's driven by the need to convince himself he's a great, benevolent superior being rather than just doing it because it's the decent thing to do.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

beatlegs posted:

I'm sure Trump has a soft side, but i'm also quite sure it's driven by the need to convince himself he's a great, benevolent superior being rather than just doing it because it's the decent thing to do.

Yeah, I'm not saying he never helped anyone... I'm just saying every time he's helped someone, he made sure people knew about it.

You didn't click the second link did you? Maybe I should write the site that it links to for that reason... It's Snopes, btw. It's a loving chain-mail fabrication from the AOL era.

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true
Wutang might be dangerous

Chilichimp posted:

Man, for a guy who's been running a radio show as long as he has you'd expect him to be... a person who runs things in a efficient and effortless manner.

Xand_Man fucked around with this message at 23:50 on Jul 27, 2016

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!

Xand_Man posted:

Man, for a guy who's been running a radio show as long as he has you'd expect him to be... a person who runs things in a efficient and effortless manner.

He's actually in a kind of analogous situation to the GOP. He's poo poo up his show to a point where he recognized there's absolutely nothing he can do to lose this core audience and he's not up to the task of finding a new one. So what's the point in breaking his back?

So far as I can tell the "work" he does on the show these days is reading the exact same sites any old Freeper would in the morning, then on air he just stretches for time by doing things like explaining every aspect of a story in painful detail and pausing every ten seconds to let the listener know they're so goddamn handsome and smart for knowing and agreeing, or just going straight up stream of consciousness style like when his producer had to stop him from going to bat hardcore for Kony's poo poo just because he saw the word "lord" in the army's name and assumed they were Christians. Like everyone else in here I think it's insufferable even in text form, but I appreciate the craft that still pokes through.

Gunder
May 22, 2003

There doesn't seem to be an Alt-Right thread in D&D, so I'll ask here: Is the Alt-Right movement a serious segment of American society, or is it just a tiny number of conspiracy theorising lunatics posting continuously in the echo-chamber of the internet? I follow a few prominent sceptics and scientists on social media, and whenever politics enters the conversation, even the most rational post will attract legions of Alt-Right poo poo heads, desperate to show why Hilary Clinton is the worst thing to ever happen to American politics. Do they actually have serious numbers? I'm from Europe, so it's difficult to tell how representative of common American political discourse this behaviour is.

beatlegs
Mar 11, 2001

They're very vocal on the internet that's for sure. I suspect/hope it's because they're tribalists who feel socially isolated therefore overcompensate by posting on the internet all day (kind of the way FOX News gets good ratings because their audience psychologically "clings" to the channel)

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
If we're talking people who would wear a #FreeMilo shirt, post memes and would self-identify? imo, there's not that many. They could probably win a war against the furries but I wouldn't bet on it.

If we're talking people who have integrated their blogs into their news-circle, can parse most of the slang, but are just sort of getting it via osmosis because this is the only part of the party with a pulse? A lot more.

Edit: Being a youth movement that's hostile to at least 75% of youth is sort of a limiting factor.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Jack Gladney posted:

Are there also democrats who dress like patriotic cartoons like that? I never see them photographed.

I'm not sure if this is going to embed properly from mobile, but...

https://mobile.twitter.com/MartinOMalley/status/510894557006155776

E: Looks like it did, that's neat

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Gunder posted:

There doesn't seem to be an Alt-Right thread in D&D, so I'll ask here: Is the Alt-Right movement a serious segment of American society, or is it just a tiny number of conspiracy theorising lunatics posting continuously in the echo-chamber of the internet? I follow a few prominent sceptics and scientists on social media, and whenever politics enters the conversation, even the most rational post will attract legions of Alt-Right poo poo heads, desperate to show why Hilary Clinton is the worst thing to ever happen to American politics. Do they actually have serious numbers? I'm from Europe, so it's difficult to tell how representative of common American political discourse this behaviour is.

there's less than half a million of them probably and it's mostly super angry and socially awkward people who vent their sociopathy on the internet

this is their hobby though so they swarm comments to make it seem like there's more of them than there really are. if you look at milo videos or sjw hate videos on youtube they hardly ever crack a quarter million views

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Rick_Hunter posted:

Once the economy stagnates, prices go up, and the only jobs that are created are low entry/at-will jobs who do you think they're going to blame? That's right - welfare leeches, minorities, and foreigners. Humans are pretty predictable.

What so you mean "once that happens"? It's happening right now. I've been looking for a job for MONTHS. The ones I'll do and can do, I'm told I'm over qualified for and the ones that I can do but will have to learn a few things in order to so, I'm told I can't have because I don't know those things yet.

So if I go learn those things then I'm even more over qualified again. The job market is poo poo and I'm in that weird age bracket that employers can't handle. Too experienced to pay and too old to exploit.

I swear to god, my only chance is to hope that my savings outlive my lifespan.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 216 days!

NameHurtBrain posted:

Trump is the patron saint of Attention Whores

NeverTrumper isn't on the table.

I'm pretty sure he'd be down for ForeverTrump.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Gunder posted:

There doesn't seem to be an Alt-Right thread in D&D, so I'll ask here: Is the Alt-Right movement a serious segment of American society, or is it just a tiny number of conspiracy theorising lunatics posting continuously in the echo-chamber of the internet?

There's a lot. More than people think. Put it this way: there's enough to make what should be a blowout of an election disturbingly close and they're getting braver day/

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Gunder posted:

There are varying degrees of belief, but the core of them is "the republican base"

At any moment a totally normal dude can get swept up in otherwise specious bullshit because loldemocrats or whatever.

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump

Gunder posted:

The alt right thread is in cspam if you want to go beyond what people have already said: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3776682&perpage=40

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Just pour it directly into your gaping mouth-hole you decadent slut

Chilichimp posted:

Holy poo poo

Well, yes, God can use anyone for His purposes, that's the point. He could use Hillary Clinton just as easily. And it's not really an endorsement of the man's character that God might use him. Remember those guys who got jealous of their brother and tried to murder him?

Genesis 50:20 posted:

You intended to harm me, but God intended it for good to accomplish what is now being done, the saving of many lives.

Radish posted:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Strategic_Defense_Initiative

Jurgan fucked around with this message at 02:37 on Jul 28, 2016