Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

widespread posted:

There was a Pinsir in my village. I caught it.

Smart money says for me to pump it up...?

Edit: It knows Rock Smash and Submission. :wtc:

Pinsir is inherently one of the absolute worst Pokemon in this game. Low stats across the board, terrible moves, slooooow attack rate. Weirdly bad!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sagacious
Oct 29, 2012
Went for an evening stroll when I found this

Not top tear but all in all pretty happy with this.

gentle pete
Feb 21, 2015

by Nyc_Tattoo
I just saw a beedrill for the first time. It broke out of 4 ultra balls and ran away :smithicide:

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

I believe I am now no longer in the presence of nice people.

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Pinsir is inherently one of the absolute worst Pokemon in this game. Low stats across the board, terrible moves, slooooow attack rate. Weirdly bad!

Wait really? gently caress. Gotta up that spawn rate, Niantic.

Also in my village was this CP319 Rhyhorn. I pumped it once to make sure it was a good tank.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Internet Kraken posted:

I'm pretty sure literally everyone lives in an area where pidgeys and ratatta spawn abundantly. Those things are universal.

Here in the UK they're probably the two most common, but I was on holiday in Croatia last week and there hardly any Rattata there. Tons of Zubats, loads of Magikarp/Psyduck/water spawns, and plenty of Eevees (which is great because I think I've only caught one back in this country).

Xaerael
Aug 25, 2010

Marching Powder is objectively the worst poster known. He also needs to learn how a keyboard works.

Muk just spawned a quick walk away from me. Thanks Pokemon map! It's a good 'un too.

Bill Barber
Aug 26, 2015

Hot Rope Guy

widespread posted:

Also in my village was this CP319 Rhyhorn. I pumped it once to make sure it was a good tank.

No offense but you seem to be way too low of level to worry about checking IVs or finding suitable pokemon to fight with.

I mean you're welcome to play any way you want, but you'll just be wasting your resources by leveling anything that's sub 600CP. Your main focus should be leveling your character (which causes pokemon you find in the wild to be higher level as well) by catching every single pidgey and weedle you can find and then evolving them for xp farming.

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

I believe I am now no longer in the presence of nice people.

Bill Barber posted:

No offense but you seem to be way too low of level to worry about checking IVs or finding suitable pokemon to fight with.

I mean you're welcome to play any way you want, but you'll just be wasting your resources by leveling anything that's sub 600CP. Your main focus should be leveling your character (which causes pokemon you find in the wild to be higher level as well) by catching every single pidgey and weedle you can find and then evolving them for xp farming.

Eh, you're probably right. Level 11 here, so yeah.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

widespread posted:

Sorry, but what site is this data coming from? All the ones I have used so far are awful

sagacious
Oct 29, 2012

DreamShipWrecked posted:

Sorry, but what site is this data coming from? All the ones I have used so far are awful

Here you go https://thesilphroad.com/research/

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Pokevision is turning me into a madman. Left the house so many times today to catch something I needed in a nearby area. But gone up six in the Pokedex, to 79, which was sweet.

Only thing that escaped was a CP650-ish Wartortle which holy gently caress those things are hard to catch - even with a berry and an ultra ball, the circle was basically dark red.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Just remember the ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ's of Pokemon Go and you'll be fine

Always Be Catching, Dammit. EVERYTHING. loving GO, Hurry It! Just Kidding, Leave Most Non-Optimal Pokemon. Quit Riskily Spinning The Ultraballs. View Websites X-amining Your Zubats!

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Always Be Catching, Dammit. EVERYTHING. loving GO, Hurry It! Just Kidding, Leave Most Non-Optimal Pokemon. Quit Riskily Spinning The Ultraballs. View Websites X-amining Your Zubats!

:golfclap:

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I'm gonna raise my perfect IV voltorb to be a buff electrode. I don't care if its only 220 CP right now.

I just need to find one of those spots where electric types are ridiculous common!

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
Just got the Pokemon go map thing running and there's a Team Instinct gym near me with 42k prestige :stare:

Clyde Radcliffe
Oct 19, 2014

gentle pete posted:

I just saw a beedrill for the first time. It broke out of 4 ultra balls and ran away :smithicide:

Come stay at my place. None of the hundreds of houses, shops and other buildings in my area that have existed from the 1800s onwards are recognised by the game as being a built-up urban area, so we all live in a field. Weedles and Kakunas are so common that I've evolved and mulched a tonne of Beedrills already.

Sadly this also means that none of the local churches, statues, war memorials or anything else are pokestops so bring a good supply of balls.

chemosh6969
Jul 3, 2004

code:
cat /dev/null > /etc/professionalism

I am in fact a massive asswagon.
Do not let me touch computer.

Visual Sneeze posted:

It must show some sort of buffer of recent scans by other users though, as Elysium seems to be suggesting. When I scan my neighborhood I get like a 3-block radius of results and I'll zoom out and pan around and see nothing, nothing, nothing, BANG - a pocket of other pokemon somwhere in the suburbs... nothing, nothing, BOOM - there's downtown and it's showing literally hundreds of pokemon spawn timers.

Since you don't log in to use it, I don't see how it can tell what other people are scanning, let alone what the spawn times are. The way they describe how it works makes sense. It's using the same calls on your phone for the data but at a faster rate for a larger area when you're moving around the map.

Yesterday sucked. Didn't see anything new around me but today I've seen a couple Persians and a Koffing.

Julio Cruz posted:

Just got the Pokemon go map thing running and there's a Team Instinct gym near me with 42k prestige :stare:

See what happens when you get organized players? That benefit towards attackers isn't what people thought it was. What level was it and was every slot filled? Filled with cp 10 pidgeys?

chemosh6969 fucked around with this message at 23:14 on Jul 27, 2016

avoid doorways
Jun 6, 2010

'twas brillig
Gun Saliva

Internet Kraken posted:

I'm gonna raise my perfect IV voltorb to be a buff electrode. I don't care if its only 220 CP right now.

I just need to find one of those spots where electric types are ridiculous common!

33% chance of a perfect IV electrode with Hyper Beam :v:

chemosh6969 posted:

Since you don't log in to use it, I don't see how it can tell what other people are scanning, let alone what the spawn times are.

The scan is done through their server using accounts they control. They save the results that are fetched from the api.

avoid doorways fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Jul 27, 2016

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Licarn posted:

33% chance of a perfect IV electrode with Hyper Beam :v:

I don't know if that's good or bad. I mean hyper beam would be garbage in the main games but in GO the best move is loving water gun so I dunno what the deal is.

Course that's just a reason not to power up anything until you can evolve it. Both evolution and powering up take candies anyways, so you might as well save for evolution first to see if the pokemon will actually end up with a decent moveset.

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

Can someone link the Pokémon go map?

Bill Barber
Aug 26, 2015

Hot Rope Guy

Zotix posted:

No.

Clyde Radcliffe
Oct 19, 2014

chemosh6969 posted:

See what happens when you get organized players? That benefit towards attackers isn't what people thought it was. What level was it and was every slot filled? Filled with cp 10 pidgeys?

There's a gym about a mile from my workplace that has been held by Team Valor since the game was launched in the UK. Although it was Level 8 and every slot had a 2000+ CP pokemon on day one when most people were still choosing their starter. Needless to say, it's right in the middle of a cluster of buildings full of tech/software companies.

Is there a limit on the number of people who can simultaneously attack a gym? Because I'd really like to see someone organise a mass assault on it. I can't since I'm on the same team.

Clyde Radcliffe fucked around with this message at 23:40 on Jul 27, 2016

Xaerael
Aug 25, 2010

Marching Powder is objectively the worst poster known. He also needs to learn how a keyboard works.

After me whining about never really catching any "good IV" wild 'mons, the game just gave me a 97%er Eevee, then a 93%er Eevee in succession.

Well then. I guess that makes up for the lovely Mr. Mime that my 10km egg just shat out.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

Xaerael posted:

After me whining about never really catching any "good IV" wild 'mons, the game just gave me a 97%er Eevee, then a 93%er Eevee in succession.

Well then. I guess that makes up for the lovely Mr. Mime that my 10km egg just shat out.

Where do you live? Mr. Mime is only in the wild in Europe, so he's a pretty awesome egg hatch if you don't live in Europe.

DrPlump
Oct 5, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Zotix posted:

That would be considered hacking and also if you played while driving you could run someone over by mistake.

Washout
Jun 27, 2003

"Your toy soldiers are not pigmented to my scrupulous standards. As a result, you are not worthy of my time. Good day sir"

Internet Explorer posted:

There was some talk a dozen+ pages ago about something in development to make IVs easier to figure out for all of your Pokemon, instead of entering values by hand. Someone mentioned an app on the way that would let you take a screenshot of a Pokemon? Someone else mentioned an app that uses your PC as a proxy and scans all the Pokemon... any progress on all of this? IV is a dumb mechanic and I am not spending hours tracking the IV for all of my Pokemons.

IV's are not that important, just check critical pokemans that you are thinking of evolving and powering up, throw everything else into the wood chipper and don't worry about it. If you have over 70% it just is not a big deal at all until they add real pokeman battles against other people. By that time you'll have hit the level cap anyway (everyone over level 30 has the same max CP for pokemon) and can then focus on trying to find 90+ if you are into it and better tools will be available.

Teratrain
Aug 23, 2007
Waiting for Godot
My partner and I had more laughs tonight than any other night we've played. We took out every viable gym we could find and filled them up with Magikarp. The central ones were down within 5 mins, but it was worth every second for the smiles and laughter from the other players.

There was one point where we Karpet Bombed a gym by a tower in town just as a guy from another team was arriving. We feigned walking away, then re-capped it immediately with another set of Magikarp... only to have an extra Magikarp appear. Turns out there was another Instinct player standing around the other side of the tower who had been listening in on our antics.

When the app isn't crashing every two minutes, I loving love this game.

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly

Washout posted:

IV's are not that important, just check critical pokemans that you are thinking of evolving and powering up, throw everything else into the wood chipper and don't worry about it. If you have over 70% it just is not a big deal at all until they add real pokeman battles against other people. By that time you'll have hit the level cap anyway (everyone over level 30 has the same max CP for pokemon) and can then focus on trying to find 90+ if you are into it and better tools will be available.

Actually the cap does go above 30. 30 is just the cap for wild pokes.

avoid doorways
Jun 6, 2010

'twas brillig
Gun Saliva

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Where do you live? Mr. Mime is only in the wild in Europe, so he's a pretty awesome egg hatch if you don't live in Europe.

Has anyone proved whether regionals can hatch from eggs outside their region yet?

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

I've tried
https://pokeassistant.com/main/ivcalculator
and
https://thesilphroad.com/research

to try to determine my pokemons IV and i really don't understand it. The first one just gives a range which makes it kind of meaningless, the second one wants you to set a gap but I'm not sure how to set it and sometimes a pokemon in the range will be 99% and sometimes it will be 60 depending on how I set the Position CP Arc.

Can anyone explain to me like I'm a child how to use these sites or suggest another one that will let me know which pokemans to evolve?

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

An Eevee came to my house :3:

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

I did manage to catch a Tauros today which I guess is only in the US. He has good fight but bad life.

INTJ Mastermind
Dec 30, 2004

It's a radial!
In a sleep-deprived stupor I spent 1000 pokecoins on Pokemon storage upgrades instead of Bag upgrades. FML

The Supreme Court
Feb 25, 2010

Pirate World: Nearly done!

mehall posted:

This is a sizeable radius around Scotland's biggest city, where I've filtered out Pidgey, Rattatta, Sparrow and Zubat.

Biggest and busiest city.

C'mon Niantic, buff the spawn rates a bit.

Caught a vaporeon about 200m from that exact spot today :cmon:

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

Licarn posted:

Has anyone proved whether regionals can hatch from eggs outside their region yet?

Not one person has shown any proof that they own a regional exclusive from outside their region, so I guess not!

EDIT: as in, nobody in the world has exceeded 143 Pokemon

Xaerael
Aug 25, 2010

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

I'll let you guess.

:(

e. (I've already caught two of the useless things in the wild. Still, it's a fun gymtroll.)

Reik
Mar 8, 2004

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Pinsir has decent stats, and if you he knows fury cutter + x-scissor he can pump out decent dps at 15.75, the same as Scyther. Pinsir also has slightly higher stats than Scyther.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Or you could just evolve a Vaporeon. :v:

• Locked thread