Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Just started updating the game to 1.0 today, then stopped because my mom's watching Netflix while not feeling well in the other room and I don't want to make her stream keep pausing. The thing I'm most curious about should be a simple thing to get answered here anyway: Do Novakids have their own respawn animation yet, or are the star people still made of meat?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

They have their own respawn now. Kind of pretty, kind of boring, much like the rest of the game.

Cicadas! posted:

Just wondering if there's any big enough changes in structure that it would be faster just to start over than port something up from like 7 versions ago.

That I'm not too sure about, I'm working on porting my Mantizi up now and the only big change other than quest structure I've come across is the fact that a lot of poo poo has been straight up removed. The default races no longer have a special AI, it's all recoloers of the default human one. There also aren't any more unique racial weapons, not that you can craft at least.

Babe Magnet fucked around with this message at 23:02 on Jul 27, 2016

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

I was gonna bring that up when you guys first started talking about penguins

Wasn't one of the stretch goals a playable penguin race that would be "hard mode" or something?

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

I think that's the one they didn't meet, actually.

e: looking it up, nah, that wasn't one of them. There only seemed to have been three and they were all met.

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer
I'll be honest with you guys here: I actually had fun in the first few hours of the game (on casual, obviously)

Having the mine be a substitute for digging down was a lot better.

All the random weapons I got felt very useful. My first one was a spear that shredded the erchius mine enemies, shields worked fine for level appropriate enemies, the very first firearm I got was an assault rifle with grenade launcher, and the launcher was extremely useful.

I found an apex town selling tungsten armor so I didnt even need to craft it. I wonder if I'm just having enough luck to avoid all the issues. But I can see how losing items on death would be extremely frustrating.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Just got the game, and I have to ask- are there any good 40K mods for this around? I can't seem to find any. I got it from GoG, so I doubt I'd be able to use Steam Workshop with it.

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

why are people complaining about touch damage? enemies don't seem to inflict touch damage while they are flashing (invincibility frames), a complete nonfactor..was it worse before? :confused:

Arsten
Feb 18, 2003

TjyvTompa posted:

I found a fix:
Teleport to your ship
Press enter to open the chat and type /admin
Type '/additem shipT#' where # is the Tier above the one your ships is currently +3. So if you are stuck on Tier 4 as I was you would type '/additem shipT7' to upgrade your ship to tier 5. If it spawns an item at your mousepointer you typed the wrong #.
Recruit crewmembers up to your new limit and the next quest will trigger if you aren't at tier 6 already. Be careful so you don't dismiss the quest, it seems like these quests can be denied when offered and that might be what we accidentally have done.
Type /admin when done to turn it off as it gives you unlimited fuel, pixels, health et.c.

I'm trying to fix this exact bug, and it says no such command additem.

Pussy Cartel
Jun 26, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Arsten posted:

I'm trying to fix this exact bug, and it says no such command additem.

Try /spawnitem

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Excelzior posted:

why are people complaining about touch damage? enemies don't seem to inflict touch damage while they are flashing (invincibility frames), a complete nonfactor..was it worse before? :confused:

Once upon a time, game didn't have touch damage and it was better for it. This isn't a "if Starbound didn't have touch damage the combat would be better", it straight up is "Starbound was better without touch damage"

But yeah it used to be much worse. The AI wants to constantly be inside your hitbox at all times, and it was much more apparent when there were less enemies that charged in straight lines or used projectiles on you. And there were no iFrames to be found. Touch damage is kind of the one of the big things you can point to as a proof of Chuckelfish's lack of vision when it came to Starbound. It was wrapped up in the combat system which changed in major ways like once every six months. It went from early touch damage, to non-touch-damage which is looked back upon as probably the time when the game was most fun to play (for a couple of reasons, but enemies actually starting to be more than just sacks of hitpoints that hugged you to death was a big thing) and then they went back on it all and reimplemented touch damage again around the time they started adding a bunch of other dumb poo poo like guns relying on energy, potion sickness, the removal of a bunch of fun techs and toys like butterfly dashing and super-springy hookshots, etc.

How Rude
Aug 13, 2012

FUCK THIS SHIT
I've finally finished re-planting and organizing the commune farm at the cabana on the goonserver and added quite a few different fruits and vegetables. The recipes you can make from this stuff have some pretty big buffs so experiment with them.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Well the first mission killed me until I randomly found a shotgun and then it was ok. Going back to the start was rear end though. Still, I got a grenade launcher at the end of it.

It is one of these dig and craft and poo poo games and it is okay at that so far I guess

edit: oh, there's a wiki, I will take my stupid questions there rather than annoy everybody

Arsten
Feb 18, 2003

Pussy Cartel posted:

Try /spawnitem

That did the trick. Thanks!

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

dog kisser posted:

Yeah that's why I had someone help me with the Peglaci, and even now I've fallen behind - I have something like 500 items I need to label :v

Also the Peglaci are slowly getting updated, and are at the point where the game doesn't just crash outright when I start it up. Hurrah. Armor and clothing for each tier have been updated to current stats and recipes, but most other items are hosed. It looks like I'll have to pretty much restart the guns almost from scratch unless I can sort out a better way of doing it.

An unofficial update for them is available here, but I'll hopefully put a more formal one out by Friday-ish.

(As a reminder, it's these guys:

They have racial descriptions for 80+% of objects, their own ships and AI, custom armor, and HAD an extremely thorough gun upgrade tree which is now horribly broken. Working on it.
)

Are those armor designs your own? If so, did you give the Frackin' Universe guy permission to use them? Just curious, because every one of those is in Frackin Universe with some recolors.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway

Babe Magnet posted:

on-touch-damage which is looked back upon as probably the time when the game was most fun to play (for a couple of reasons, but enemies actually starting to be more than just sacks of hitpoints that hugged you to death was a big thing)....the removal of a bunch of fun techs and toys like butterfly dashing and super-springy hookshots, etc.

why did they actually remove so much gameplay that they actually coded. AND end up with something so poorly optimized.

Kly
Aug 8, 2003

Babe Magnet posted:

... combat system which changed in major ways like once every six months.

remember when they spent 8 months redesigning all the weapons so you could aim every weapon like you do with the current/past spear

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

TjyvTompa posted:

I found a fix:
Teleport to your ship
Press enter to open the chat and type /admin
Type '/additem shipT#' where # is the Tier above the one your ships is currently +3. So if you are stuck on Tier 4 as I was you would type '/additem shipT7' to upgrade your ship to tier 5. If it spawns an item at your mousepointer you typed the wrong #.
Recruit crewmembers up to your new limit and the next quest will trigger if you aren't at tier 6 already. Be careful so you don't dismiss the quest, it seems like these quests can be denied when offered and that might be what we accidentally have done.
Type /admin when done to turn it off as it gives you unlimited fuel, pixels, health et.c.

Thanks for the fix info, i really appreciate it :D

How Rude
Aug 13, 2012

FUCK THIS SHIT
Update on the farm: everything has finally finished growing completely after I spent 20 straight minutes watering the poo poo out of all the new seeds and plants.

that new sprinkler mod cannot come soon enough

How Rude fucked around with this message at 04:45 on Jul 28, 2016

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

I'm confused, what's wrong with the current sprinkler?

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

But People have fears that beasts do not. Questions, too.

grimcreaper posted:

Are those armor designs your own? If so, did you give the Frackin' Universe guy permission to use them? Just curious, because every one of those is in Frackin Universe with some recolors.

Yep, all my mods are completely open source. As a matter of fact, he's incorporated a bunch of Peglaci stuff into FU, though renamed and whatnot. Actually I'm glad you reminded me because potentially I can cannibalize from work HE did to update my stuff to update my own stuff. Ha!

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

dog kisser posted:

Yep, all my mods are completely open source. As a matter of fact, he's incorporated a bunch of Peglaci stuff into FU, though renamed and whatnot. Actually I'm glad you reminded me because potentially I can cannibalize from work HE did to update my stuff to update my own stuff. Ha!

Glad i could be of some help in a way!

Im actually having fun trying to build something. I just want the Frackin Universe guy to hurry up and finish adding all the craftables to the tables. Or for someone to make a good FU compatible mod that gives you access to all the block types. Theres so many ones that you learn to craft but dont have any associated craft station for.

How Rude
Aug 13, 2012

FUCK THIS SHIT

victrix posted:

I'm confused, what's wrong with the current sprinkler?

you can't place them on the ceiling to spray plants from above and they're also horribly bad at covering every tile

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
If you let them sit a minute they'll get every tile.

Bob Locke
Dec 31, 2007

Croccers posted:

What's a place with a good collection of songs so I can follow my friends about as they dig and provide musical support?
I've already trawled through http://lotro-abc.com/

This is a bit late because I'm catching up on the thread but

Please don't use lotro abcs, they're slightly different than starbound abcs and sound like rear end (missed motes, notes play at completely wrong octaves, etc)

Just grab any one of the many many music packs on the old official mod site maybe?

http://community.playstarbound.com/resources/categories/musical-instruments-songs.13/ (there's even more in the outdated section but good luck digging through that trash heap, what's organization???)

I think I saw some song packs on the workshop too but the organization is even worse there so

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

Are there any toys or upgrades that can make you run faster? Movement is a bit sluggish at times when you're just trying to run about on the surface.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

alphabettitouretti posted:

Are there any toys or upgrades that can make you run faster? Movement is a bit sluggish at times when you're just trying to run about on the surface.

One of the tech branches of the Dash converts it into a straight-up sprint that uses your Energy meter. It's kind of unbelievable that there's not a proper jetpack, though.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Are torches still really the best light source for spelunking even after you have laser swords and fusion reactors?

Can't use the light pack because you need the EPP to survive dangerous planets :|

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

deadly_pudding posted:

It's kind of unbelievable that there's not a proper jetpack, though.

Huh? I assumed there'd be a jetpack in later tech trees...

Are there any decent jetpack mods?

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

victrix posted:

Are torches still really the best light source for spelunking even after you have laser swords and fusion reactors?

Can't use the light pack because you need the EPP to survive dangerous planets :|

EPP can get an upgrade module that makes you glow. There's also flares, which work like Terraria glow sticks; you throw them and they make dynamic light. There's also a mining helmet you can use to just always have a flashlight. There are also eventually some pretty inexpensive wall-mounted light fixtures you can make.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

Bob Locke posted:

This is a bit late because I'm catching up on the thread but

Please don't use lotro abcs, they're slightly different than starbound abcs and sound like rear end (missed motes, notes play at completely wrong octaves, etc)

Just grab any one of the many many music packs on the old official mod site maybe?

http://community.playstarbound.com/resources/categories/musical-instruments-songs.13/ (there's even more in the outdated section but good luck digging through that trash heap, what's organization???)

I think I saw some song packs on the workshop too but the organization is even worse there so
That's the best part :unsmigghh:
Actually most of them are fine, and the random stray notes are funny.

Masiakasaurus
Oct 11, 2012

deadly_pudding posted:

One of the tech branches of the Dash converts it into a straight-up sprint that uses your Energy meter. It's kind of unbelievable that there's not a proper jetpack, though.

I find Multijump + the Gravity Aug for the EPP makes you floaty enough to avoid most everything, though it doesn't make you faster per se.

There's also augs to increase movement speed and food buffs, plus green? stims.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Masiakasaurus posted:

I find Multijump + the Gravity Aug for the EPP makes you floaty enough to avoid most everything, though it doesn't make you faster per se.

There's also augs to increase movement speed and food buffs, plus green? stims.

I make liberal use of ropes, as well, and I've been abusing Flags to let me just teleport to various sites of interest by bouncing off my ship.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010
Is there any way to get Sticks of RAM besides random drops from certain monsters? Grinding monsters for rare drops was one of the worst parts of Terraria but at least it wasn't required to mess around with wiring stuff in that game.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I'm not gonna lie, I'm having fun with this game. It clearly could have been a lot better but it's pretty nice once you get past the atrocious start.

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

But People have fears that beasts do not. Questions, too.

grimcreaper posted:

Glad i could be of some help in a way!

Yeah holy poo poo the Frackin' Universe guy basically rewrote the way I was doing charging weapons entirely rather than updating the awkward way I was doing it and made it loads better. I'm just going to steal from that and rebuild using his stuff rather than restarting from scratch!

SovietPotatoe
May 14, 2011

Master of the Duncspawn Taint

alphabettitouretti posted:

Huh? I assumed there'd be a jetpack in later tech trees...

Are there any decent jetpack mods?

I don't think there are any mods out yet, seeing as up until 1.0 the core game already had a jetpack tech it would have been redundant. If someone still has the old version files lying around they could probably just use that one and put it in again.

Rrussom
May 13, 2009
I wish more games featured women turning into toilets. I want toilet transformers.
Did they ever put space hulks in the game or were they cut too?
Also, whats up with the sparse crafting sets per metal tier? only two weapons doesnt make sense

coupedeville
Jan 1, 2012

MY ANACONDA DOM'T WANT NONE UNLESS U GOT CUM SON!

SovietPotatoe posted:

I don't think there are any mods out yet, seeing as up until 1.0 the core game already had a jetpack tech it would have been redundant. If someone still has the old version files lying around they could probably just use that one and put it in again.

ugh I would pay someone to go through old version files and spin up a butterfly/bubble tech mod

why was it taken out of the game at all ffs

I'm trying to enjoy this game but knowing what it was and what it is makes that a difficult proposition :(

QuantaStarFire
May 18, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I have to imagine that even Tiy was getting annoyed by how long development was taking and opted to prune a bunch of poo poo, tweak what was left over, and then shove the thing out the door.

I think the funniest cut though is the individual race intros which were going to be narrated by the dude who did Bastion's narration. Like, they even had poo poo recorded for it, yet nothing came of it.

Question: Did anyone go back post-1.0 to find the original crowdfunding goals to see if they'd all been met? Did the backer NPCs make it in?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

coupedeville
Jan 1, 2012

MY ANACONDA DOM'T WANT NONE UNLESS U GOT CUM SON!

QuantaStarFire posted:

Question: Did anyone go back post-1.0 to find the original crowdfunding goals to see if they'd all been met? Did the backer NPCs make it in?

I know one backer in the thread noted his gamer tag didn't appear in the credit roll (i think this was a Kickstart goal?)