Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vadoc
Dec 31, 2007

Guess who made waffles...

What's the best rank picks for captain skills now for the ship classes?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Muscovy Ducks are a large tropical breed, famous for their lean and extremely flavorful meat.

Hazduck!

~SMcD

JuffoWup posted:

I actually thought about this more. And no. The quote is only concerning aircraft carriers. The nikolai will still see t6 aircraft carriers.

Nope, the Nikolai indeed only sees up to T5 now, though this seems to be a preferential MM change.

BECAUSE IT NEEDED BUFFS

LOL WARGAMING NEVER CHANGE

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten
So that table lists the second half of the german BB tree as having no secondaries (range 0.0), but they clearly do.

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:
It's really just them normalizing T4 and below matchmaking, since it was a huge pain divisioning up before at T3 and T4 if you didn't want to drag certain classes +2 tiers.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

3 games in a row with dual bottom tier CVs (2 T4/4 games, 1 T4/5 game) with my Furutaka. 3 games in a row where I got stuck on the team with worthless poo poo CV captains and the enemy team got at least decent ones (4 kills to 1, effectively no fighter coverage, absolute bottom of the team ranking, etc).

In the last game even got "lucky" enough to get a Wyoming divisioned with TWO Chesters. Fun! :downsgun:

Back to not playing during the daytime.

Pacra
Aug 5, 2004

Pretty sure the warship forums are in agreement that Tirpitz did not need an armor buff but will take it anyway because *premium*

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Pacra posted:

Pretty sure the warship forums are in agreement that Tirpitz did not need an armor buff but will take it anyway because *premium*

Unlike other T8 premiums Tirpitz wasn't clearly better than its tree equivalents.

jownzy
Apr 20, 2012

I love Rainbow Moon.

It is the deepest game ever. Nothing compares to its epic story.

Pacra posted:

Just ran into two tirpitz on the other team playing like they were Iowa's.... I didn't care, because they couldn't hit me and I set them on fire a lot.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

El Disco posted:

Just in case you didn't see that. As for what it means, I'm not 100% sure but I guess there was a gap in the bow/stern armor where you could slip a shell into the citadel?

Kind of. Most ships have an armor box with no bottom for armor. Sides, front, back and top, and they all connect. Bismarck was different. The top of that box was thin, but connecting to the bottom of the belt was a second "top" consisting of a heavily angled (60 degrees from vertical) plate backing up the vertical belt and then the thick deck armor uncharacteristically low in the ship connecting the tops of those angled plates. There's a strong argument that armor was too low in the ship and meant important things above could (and did in the last fight) get damaged and disable the ship but I digress. That's why the Tirpitz is basically uncitadelable in close, if you're close enough to slam through the vertical belt, that plate behind will be near 60 degrees and bounce your shell. So it sounds like the front and rear sides of the box were only hooked up to those angled plates and the thick deck rather than covering the outer box of the upper deck and belts, meaning that from certain angles at mid-long range a shell aimed at the very front or very rear of the citadel could go in without hitting the nose/stern end of the box or the belt, and just hit that relatively thin backing plate at an angle near flat and punch right through for a citadel. It'd be a tiny target though and is a small buff.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Aesis posted:

German Battleship stats.

It doesn't seem to be displaying secondary range properly.

Hammerstein
May 6, 2005

YOU DON'T KNOW A DAMN THING ABOUT RACING !

Aesis posted:

Scharnhorst got rudder shift buffed but AP damage nerfed.

What were the original values ?

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

...on the plus side I'm feeling much more angry now than I expected so this totally helps me get in character.
The patch seems to have reset all my auto-resupply settings. This is especially annoying on premium ships as their camouflage needs to be set to re-supply again even though it's free. Also all modules, all flags, and so on.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

TheDemon posted:

The patch seems to have reset all my auto-resupply settings. This is especially annoying on premium ships as their camouflage needs to be set to re-supply again even though it's free. Also all modules, all flags, and so on.

Oddly enough my US (and only US) premiums had their camouflage set properly.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

All of my premiums had their camouflage re-supply turned off, but all flags, modules, et al are fine

Pacra
Aug 5, 2004

haha

I'm surprised no one across the 3 games has bought a :wargaming: smiley yet

Aesis
Oct 9, 2012
Filthy J4G

Hammerstein posted:

What were the original values ?
19 seconds rudder shift and 8,700 AP dmg.

wdarkk posted:

It doesn't seem to be displaying secondary range properly.
Thanks for letting me know. I changed some codes due to using API and I guess there's something wrong somewhere.

EDIT: fixed the code and posted new image in the previous post.

Aesis fucked around with this message at 00:02 on Jul 28, 2016

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Aesis posted:

Thanks for letting me know. I changed some codes due to using API and I guess there's something wrong somewhere.

EDIT: fixed the code and posted new image in the previous post.

Man, 7km secondaries starting at tier 8. I'm feeling really sold on these. All secondaries, all brawling, all the time.

Minenfeld!
Aug 21, 2012

Damnit. I respecced all my captains with doubloons today. Am I getting a refund or something?

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
drat, coming from steel ocean these ships feel sluggish as gently caress.

Aesis
Oct 9, 2012
Filthy J4G

Minenfeld! posted:

Damnit. I respecced all my captains with doubloons today. Am I getting a refund or something?
Nope!

Burt
Sep 23, 2007

Poke.

Panzeh posted:

drat, coming from steel ocean these ships feel sluggish as gently caress.

At least you will get a battle a few seconds after you click rather than having enough time to go have a coffee and a good shite whilst reading the paper.

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Am I a manipulative abuser in real life, or do I just roleplay one on the Internet for fun? You decide!

Burt posted:

At least you will get a battle a few seconds after you click rather than having enough time to go have a coffee and a good shite whilst reading the paper.

On the other hand, you still have plenty of time for coffee between setting your ship to full speed autopilot and getting in range of an enemy.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

OK so I found a new worst player. Sure, warbeasty has a worse win rate, but take a look at this guy.

Now scroll down to the ships area. Check out his win rate in the motherfucking Imperator Nikolai.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

wdarkk posted:

OK so I found a new worst player. Sure, warbeasty has a worse win rate, but take a look at this guy.

Now scroll down to the ships area. Check out his win rate in the motherfucking Imperator Nikolai.

WARBEASTY heavily plays high tier CVs, loving over whichever team gets him far more than a single bad player in any other class. That automatically makes him just about the worst possible player to get.

MrKatharsis
Nov 29, 2003

feel the bern

Ice Fist posted:

I got the Clemson's upgraded guns last night and I think I'm finally *getting* destroyers. Although I still die an annoying amount to other destroyers torpedoes.

I watch these videos of people clearly good at the game doing these amazing torpedo dodge montages and I feel like I will never be so good at anticipating torpedo attacks.

Two things help with this:
1) The Level 3 torpedo detection skill.
2) Always turn in, never away.
3) Becoming very familiar with how a boat steers. The rudder basically pushes the rear end around. There are also advantages to be gained in acceleration/deceleration.

Buttes McDuff
Dec 4, 2004

Scottish Buttesman
Just had a hilarious game in my Atlanta where a Benson smoked up and didn't move, letting me get right up in his face before my surprise radar. The dude evaporated before he could even turn to torp.

unwantedplatypus
Sep 6, 2012
I just fought a match against a supertester in a Nassau. It had 2 turrets forward and back, and 2 turrets on each side. It seemed to have a short range and heavy armor. If its any indication of the rest of the German line, expect heavily armored brawlers.

MrKatharsis
Nov 29, 2003

feel the bern
Another Kawachi. Yay...

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012

wdarkk posted:

Man, 7km secondaries starting at tier 8. I'm feeling really sold on these. All secondaries, all brawling, all the time.

And to help you get into the spirit of these late war ships, the gneisenau gets torps. So not as long range on the secondaries, but you'll still feel the itch to get up and personal so you can torpedo things.

jownzy
Apr 20, 2012

I love Rainbow Moon.

It is the deepest game ever. Nothing compares to its epic story.
What did you nerds do to these guys... first couple moments in the match and both sides erupt with anti-"goon" sentiment... I hadn't even said anything.

http://imgur.com/a/AZd1D

The shitter that kept talking, I actually remember from ranked, but he didn't remember me... he was one of those losers with under 50% win rate that I was talking about. He was claiming the other team was hacking because he was detected in his atlanta, but out of detection range... discounting planes, and DD that he should have been killing.

Anyway, weird... we don't even have clan tags, and I certainly haven't mentioned it. 2 on 1 team, 1 on my team, weird for an 8 am game. ANYWAY.

Burt
Sep 23, 2007

Poke.

James Garfield posted:

On the other hand, you still have plenty of time for coffee between setting your ship to full speed autopilot and getting in range of an enemy.

Ermm.... no idea what your argument is here. I actually like games that take longer than 4 minutes.

Edit- Actually just gently caress off with your poo poo Chinese knock off that failed.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

See if you can spot what's wrong.

If you said, most, but not all, of the HUD is missing, congratulations! As a matter of fact, my ENTIRE HUD vanished a few minutes into the game, and as I mashed buttons, trying to figure out what the hell happened (CTRL+G was indeed the first thing tried), portions of it flickered in and out - tending towards out. Amazingly, I did not survive long.

In months of playing, ever since OBT specifically, I've never seen this, so have people encountered it before or did WG poo poo the bed in a new and exciting way in this new patch?

Godlessdonut
Sep 13, 2005

Burt posted:

Ermm.... no idea what your argument is here. I actually like games that take longer than 4 minutes.

Edit- Actually just gently caress off with your poo poo Chinese knock off that failed.

Why not both? I played a lot of realistic battles in War Thunder, so I'm all about games that take a long time to get matched up AND last 45 minutes! :buddy:

Lord Koth posted:

WARBEASTY heavily plays high tier CVs, loving over whichever team gets him far more than a single bad player in any other class. That automatically makes him just about the worst possible player to get.

I just got put in a game with him recently for the first time in a few months. He was in a Hakuryu and wouldn't you know it, the enemy carrier had his way with our team and we lost!

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Muscovy Ducks are a large tropical breed, famous for their lean and extremely flavorful meat.

Hazduck!

~SMcD

Good games tonight nerds. I need to get some cash and buy a Baltimore.

SkySteak
Sep 9, 2010
Considering I now have the Warspite, this may sound really embarrassing and or awkward but is there a way to learn how to aim more effectively? I know that sounds vague but when I was in the German cruiser line it matter dramatically less as the turrets turned at a reasonable rate while, at the same time I could just keep plugging shell after shell after shell and correct with that. However in the Warspite it suddenly feels like I cannot do that due to turret traverse combined with the reload time. Is there any good way to learn? I know that the guns all have a feel to them but I find myself often missing shots. I attempted one of the OPs methods (Use time on target rating and put your guns forward however many KM it gave) yet it never seemed to work. I really don't want to be poo poo and constantly miss in a BB so is there anything I am missing or could try?

Godlessdonut
Sep 13, 2005

Hazdoc posted:

Good games tonight nerds. I need to get some cash and buy a Baltimore.

All 7 of those citadels were on the Pensacola, right? 90% of my citadels in my Fubuki were on them, with the other 10% being a mixture of german cruisers and really low tier idiots in fail platoons.

SkySteak posted:

Considering I now have the Warspite, this may sound really embarrassing and or awkward but is there a way to learn how to aim more effectively? I know that sounds vague but when I was in the German cruiser line it matter dramatically less as the turrets turned at a reasonable rate while, at the same time I could just keep plugging shell after shell after shell and correct with that. However in the Warspite it suddenly feels like I cannot do that due to turret traverse combined with the reload time. Is there any good way to learn? I know that the guns all have a feel to them but I find myself often missing shots. I attempted one of the OPs methods (Use time on target rating and put your guns forward however many KM it gave) yet it never seemed to work. I really don't want to be poo poo and constantly miss in a BB so is there anything I am missing or could try?

Really you just need to get more experience in it. After a while you get a feel for where you need to aim. Take it or some other low-tier BB into a co-op battle. You'll get poo poo rewards but you'll be able to shoot at moving targets without worrying about letting your team down because you always miss or whatever. If the bots win then who gives a poo poo, queue up again.

Vernii
Dec 7, 2006

unwantedplatypus posted:

I just fought a match against a supertester in a Nassau. It had 2 turrets forward and back, and 2 turrets on each side. It seemed to have a short range and heavy armor. If its any indication of the rest of the German line, expect heavily armored brawlers.

Yea, the WWI dreads generally had lighter caliber guns than their RN counterparts but were more heavily armored and had better protection schemes. This is Seydlitz, which took 21 hits from 12" or bigger, plus a torpedo, and still managed to limp back to harbor with over 5,000 tons of water inside her.

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Hazduck!

~SMcD

El Disco posted:

All 7 of those citadels were on the Pensacola, right? 90% of my citadels in my Fubuki were on them, with the other 10% being a mixture of german cruisers and really low tier idiots in fail platoons.
Yeah, Pensacola oblivious to me at like 5-6km. He died from near full health to shells before my torps could connect. Some real potatoes play this game, I swear.

Somebody Awful
Nov 27, 2011

BORN TO DIE
HAIG IS A FUCK
Kill Em All 1917
I am trench man
410,757,864,530 SHELLS FIRED

Why is there an option to use Kirishima for battle voiceovers if it doesn't have a unique captain voice?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

guidoanselmi
Feb 6, 2008

I thought my ideas were so clear. I wanted to make an honest post. No lies whatsoever.

I now have a 17 point khab captain now enabling me to finally get concealment expert.. Trump bless WG & Serb