Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

hell yeah. rebel galaxy is on my steam wishlist and i have almost bought it about 5 times in various sales.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Awesome! posted:

hell yeah. rebel galaxy is on my steam wishlist and i have almost bought it about 5 times in various sales.

same

CVagts
Oct 19, 2009
Regarding Divinity, I play it with a controller and it controls just fine, though I have it on PC which is nice because there's a mod to fix the superslow running speed.

Yakuza 5 AND Rebel Galaxy on PS+ next month? Hell yeah.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

I got Rebel Galaxy like six months ago after seeing it a few times on Live on PlayStation and it's a pretty fun game although there's almost zero real story to speak of. The difficulty spikes can get really weird too. Protip: Invest in laser weapons.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.

Aggro posted:

Are there any good couch co-op games available on the PS Store? Ideally something super casual that I can play with the wife.

There's a bunch, but it really hinges on how casual you need it. My wife enjoyed playing the Trine games with me, and the Telltale games (and Until Dawn) were fun for her to watch and make decisions during.

Really though, I'm gonna point you to Chariot (on PS3 and PS4)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-rH-cAQUBt0

I think it's an ideal couch co-op game to play with an SO. It can be beaten with one person, and playing with two doesn't take away any tools, so if things get frustrating you can kind of take charge and get things moving in the right direction. There are a few tools that you can choose from at the beginning of each stage, and that's it for items. No power ups, but not much in the way of combat, either. Enemies attack the coffin and damage the gold, but they'll never kill you. There are some abilities that the coffin gets upgraded with that allow you to explore areas in previous stages, and the stages can get pretty huge. I was consistently impressed with how much they packed into each stage, and most stages have multiple exits. You can re-enter any stage through any exit you've unlocked, so you don't have to run the whole stage again if you want to look for a missed collectable.

The best part about the game is the dedicated high-five button. Make a tricky jump? High-five. Lower the coffin just in time for your partner to tether onto it before plummeting into lava? High-five. Racing along a ghost track heading into god-knows-what at breakneck speeds? High-five. It's fun to leave your partner hanging, too. They can hold up their hand and you just walk on by. It's interesting how a little thing like a high-five button can inject character into a game, but it was the cherry on top of a great game.

I try to talk up Chariot whenever someone asks about couch co-op games for a significant other because it was a real sleeper hit for me and I truly think it's one of the best games for couples out there.

In contrast, I was going to mention Lovers in a Dangerous Space-Time, but that involves controlling multiple parts of a spaceship by running around and swapping seats. I haven't played much of it but if both people aren't "gamers" then it seems like one person will focus on one or two parts and let the other person run around doing most of the hectic work. That might work, but I think it'd be better if both players were on the same level. There's also a health bar for the spaceship, so playing poorly results in both players dying. I prefer Chariot, but YMMV.

Play Chariot.

Ape Agitator
Feb 19, 2004

Soylent Green is Monkeys
College Slice

barren_sky posted:

I heard it was one of those really hard games? It looks fun, and I love that kind of exploring, but don't like stress.

Granted I'm just getting my toes in it but it's very calming with bursts of self imposed chaos.

The music is nice, the star fields are really beautiful, and there's something super satisfying about targeting an orbital trajectory to land you on a planet far away.

But those are countered by greed pushing you to explore an asteroid belt or doing an EVA to repair a satellite too close to the sun. There's an interplay between meeting your discovery quota to progress and fuel that's equal parts necessary gambling and "I just want to see that" feeling.

There's more of the game in store for me, clearly, but I can make 10 light years in a shortish 20 minute session so I feel like I did well and it never felt hard like other roguelikes often do out of the gate.

Ape Agitator fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Jul 27, 2016

baram.
Oct 23, 2007

smooth.

i was hype for rebel galaxy then i realized i was thinking of rogue galaxy. rebel galaxy really should've picked a more unique name.

Intoluene
Jul 6, 2011

Activating self-destruct sequence!
Fun Shoe

baram. posted:

i was hype for rebel galaxy then i realized i was thinking of rogue galaxy. rebel galaxy really should've picked a more unique name.

gently caress. I did this too.

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
Hooray Rebel Galaxy, one of the games I wanted but was waiting for a sale.

Now put Invisible Inc Console Edition on sale/free ps+

Patapon 3 tries to push multiplayer on you hard so I don't know if it'll be enjoyable. It also had huge difficulty spikes and impossible/nigh impossible to dodge attacks

Lakbay fucked around with this message at 00:53 on Jul 28, 2016

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

Lakbay posted:

Now put Invisible Inc Console Edition on sale/free ps+
no i already have that one!

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Awesome! posted:

no i already have that one!

no i needs it for free still

Shnag
Dec 8, 2010

"I'll be whatever I wanna do!"
Is it too much to want a 'real' PS4 game for PS+? As in a game full sized game that had a original $69 price tag and was available on disc in a store. Getting games "that are also playable on vita!" seems like a rip off, considering i don't have a ps3 or psp. Rebel galaxy looks interesting, though I haven't heard of it until now, i think it still a PSN game. I guess PS3 is getting some decent games because of its age, but it just seems stupid to advertise "free games!" when sony doesn't seem do any more plus games like the Injustice (which was available before I bought my ps4 :argh:) for the ps4

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

uggh

The Diddler
Jun 22, 2006

Shnag posted:

Is it too much to want a 'real' PS4 game for PS+? As in a game full sized game that had a original $69 price tag and was available on disc in a store. Getting games "that are also playable on vita!" seems like a rip off, considering i don't have a ps3 or psp. Rebel galaxy looks interesting, though I haven't heard of it until now, i think it still a PSN game. I guess PS3 is getting some decent games because of its age, but it just seems stupid to advertise "free games!" when sony doesn't seem do any more plus games like the Injustice (which was available before I bought my ps4 :argh:) for the ps4

NBA2K16 was free in June, doesn't get much realer than that

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

Shnag posted:

Yeah! Where the gently caress is Knack?!?!

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
I did not believe all the bitching about how gamers are so entitled before I started reading this thread.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

The PS4 has a dogshit library. There are no games to give away.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

elf help book posted:

Yeah! Where the gently caress is Knack?!?!
signed #ImWithKnack

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747
uh oh

did someone say knaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaack?!

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

I just got the PS+ games list for September, check this out

Knack (PS4)
Knack (PS4)
Knack (PS3)
Knack (PS3)
Knack (PSV)
Knack (PSV)

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

homeless snail posted:

Knack (PS4)
Knack (PS4)
Knack (PS3)
Knack (PS3)
Knack (PSV)
Knack (PSV)

hallelujah

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

knice

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

homeless snail posted:

Knack (PS4)
Knack (PS4)
Knack (PS3)
Knack (PS3)
Knack (PSV)
Knack (PSV)

loving finally, a passable month of PS+

Watrick
Mar 15, 2007

C:enter:###
I thought Rebel Galaxy was a Star Wars game after figuring out it wasn't Rogue Galaxy.

Ryoga
Sep 10, 2003
Eternally Lost
I am posting from the future to tell you the PS+ titles for august 2027. The ps4 servers are going to be shut off in the next few months so get them while they are hot.

PS5 Gran Turismo Circuit: Prologue
PS5 Fantavision 4K Remastered
PS4 Call of Trump: WW3 Recruitment Edition
PS4 Knack

PSNow 1 hour trials
PS2 The Bouncer
PS1 Demolition Derby

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

The Bouncer rules.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

homeless snail posted:

signed #ImWithKnack

#DicksOutForKnack

Meatwolfe
Oct 31, 2011
They could always give away Bound by Flame. That would piss people off.

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
greatest self own was gettomg a platinum Bound By flame at the height of my depression

or is that the low? IDK

Meatwolfe
Oct 31, 2011

Hillary Clintons Thong posted:

greatest self own was gettomg a platinum Bound By flame at the height of my depression

or is that the low? IDK

Crippling depression got me through The Technomancer. What's with Spiders games and depression?

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.

Aggro posted:

Are there any good couch co-op games available on the PS Store? Ideally something super casual that I can play with the wife.

Star Wars Battlefront just had splitscreen couch co-op botmatches added to its main 20v20 Walker Assault mode. Three levels of difficulty, on easy you'd basically never die, and both of you could be heroes at the same time. If you're into Star Wars, running around as Han and Leia together blasting stormtroopers is gold.

This is a new mode they added, Battlefront already had a bunch of survival missions you could play in splitscreen co-op, they've just extended it into the main multiplayer gametype, with more to come.

Game regularly goes on sale for $30.

Shnag
Dec 8, 2010

"I'll be whatever I wanna do!"
Sorry, i shouldn't have complained about the plus line up, since plus is mainly about paying for multiplayer anyways. Speaking of Knack, last fall I was going to buy Second son used for $15, when the guy asked if I wanted Knack with it for $3 more. So I got it too. Its pretty meh overall.

BadAstronaut
Sep 15, 2004

I apologise for nothing and will continue to complain about PS+ offerings until the unrealistic ideal of 100x AAA PS4 titles are included one month, somehow, by magic or something.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.
Dang, why doesn't this $50-a-year service give me a game that still has a retail price of $40 for free? Or Knack, I guess?

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

SpacePig posted:

Dang, why doesn't this $50-a-year service give me a game that still has a retail price of $40 for free? Or Knack, I guess?

as one game in one month out of 24 total, no less

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!
A lot of the PS Plus games for awhile now have been stuff I haven't been interested in but each month this summer has given me something I have some interest in trying. I was going to buy Yakuza 5 at some point when I got in the mood for it so getting that as a freebie feels incredibly good.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!
Dang, why doesn't this $50-a-year service give me games on par with the quality of the $1 tier of Humble Bundles? Some months they really shoot the moon including one game from the BTA tier (NBA 2k16) and everyone loses their poo poo.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I got my money's worth out of Tropico 5, so I'm good. :toot:

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

The sad truth about PS+ is you're paying to play online. I would subscribe even if they didn't give away any games, just like I did for six years on Xbox Live Gold.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

BGrifter posted:

Dang, why doesn't this $50-a-year service give me games on par with the quality of the $1 tier of Humble Bundles? Some months they really shoot the moon including one game from the BTA tier (NBA 2k16) and everyone loses their poo poo.

:qq:

• Locked thread