Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Cleretic posted:

In my book, lovely Gremlin D.Va is better than Real D.Va, and in fact most fan-interpretations like that overall because it actually gives her flaws and a character instead of a grating, awful, hyper-pandering disaster that I hate more than I've ever hated any fictional character.

I don't like fan-versions of any other characters in Overwatch (except Reaper, but that's because Reaper's a character that's inherently hilarious), but I'm cool with them turning the blatant and terrible Mary Sue waifu-bait into a garbage person.

Reaper is at his most powerful when he's just a jellybean.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

poptart_fairy posted:

Angry about gamer girls.

Angry about literal fake gamer girls.

Abyssal Squid
Jul 24, 2003

Cleretic posted:

Angry about literal fake gamer girls.

I know what you mean but you're not making yourself sound any better here.

Just Offscreen
Jun 29, 2006

We must hope that our current selves will one day step aside to make room for better versions of us.

Cleretic posted:

In my book, lovely Gremlin D.Va is better than Real D.Va, and in fact most fan-interpretations like that overall because it actually gives her flaws and a character instead of a grating, awful, hyper-pandering disaster that I hate more than I've ever hated any fictional character.

I don't like fan-versions of any other characters in Overwatch (except Reaper, but that's because Reaper's a character that's inherently hilarious), but I'm cool with them turning the blatant and terrible Mary Sue waifu-bait into a garbage person.

Thanks for the heads up.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BGUaLTLiFLc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E-6xk4W6N20

J.A.B.C.
Jul 2, 2007

There's no need to rush to be an adult.

Cleretic posted:

Then again, she's designed to be an annoying, pandering, grating disaster like most Twitch Streamers, because she is a Twitch Streamer. It's written into her history that she streams her matches to her fans, and the whole 'nerf this' pastiche is meant to mimic people like that.

The fact that you hate her means that Blizzard did it's job in making the character, because it relates to a real-life set of people that are very love/hate. To be honest, D.Va is probably one of their better designs because it's so lovely and relateable.

Plus, you're playing a video game with a real-life cowboy, two characters from an emo-kid notebook, a giant knight in shining armor and a sniper that heals people by shooting them. The designs are not that inspired.

Gremlin D.Va is the greatest thing, though.

Just Offscreen
Jun 29, 2006

We must hope that our current selves will one day step aside to make room for better versions of us.

I was expecting things to go into terrible video fanfiction territory, but holy poo poo that is really good editing- especially the color transitions. The music was great too- a mashup song with a mashup video.

Good poo poo.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

J.A.B.C. posted:

Then again, she's designed to be an annoying, pandering, grating disaster like most Twitch Streamers, because she is a Twitch Streamer. It's written into her history that she streams her matches to her fans, and the whole 'nerf this' pastiche is meant to mimic people like that.

The fact that you hate her means that Blizzard did it's job in making the character, because it relates to a real-life set of people that are very love/hate. To be honest, D.Va is probably one of their better designs because it's so lovely and relateable.

Plus, you're playing a video game with a real-life cowboy, two characters from an emo-kid notebook, a giant knight in shining armor and a sniper that heals people by shooting them. The designs are not that inspired.

Oh, my problem with her isn't that she's obnoxious and terrible, it's that they don't even seem to be aware she's obnoxious and terrible because they don't actually do anything with that. None of those things that would make her entertainingly unpleasant as a character are actually in the game, that's what fans have associated with her.

In the pre-fight dialog interactions, a lot of characters do give each other poo poo or highlight flaws in each other's character. Reinhardt and Lucio hate each other's music tastes, literally everyone wants Junkrat to shut up, Zarya is robot-racist, Torbjorn makes fun of Symmetra's OCD, most characters Reaper has a dialog with lay down sick burns on him. That's a perfect platform for D.Va to be Just the loving Worst, or for others to crack jokes about her. And the fact that not only does nobody do that, but that hers are so fawning that two separate characters ask for her autograph, perhaps says more about how little they pushed the 'deliberately annoying and grating' side of things than the fact there's posters of her in the spawn rooms for a good half of the game's maps.

I don't buy that Blizzard intended her to be as grating as she is, because they aren't subtle in their writing or worldbuilding anywhere in the game. All the negative qualities of D.Va's character are creations of the fanbase.

KiteAuraan
Aug 5, 2014

JER GEDDA FERDA RADDA ARA!

Snakes out for Harambe.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Just Offscreen posted:

I was expecting things to go into terrible video fanfiction territory, but holy poo poo that is really good editing- especially the color transitions. The music was great too- a mashup song with a mashup video.
Madeon's Pop Culture is a good mashup, I like the version of it used in this video better though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=THEmTOKVD1w&hd=1

And if we're posting AMVs that are actually edited and not just scenes cut together, Pencilhead might be the best one. It's mesmerizing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Bx0dEYiDYw&hd=1

Just Offscreen
Jun 29, 2006

Captain Invictus posted:

And if we're posting AMVs that are actually edited and not just scenes cut together, Pencilhead might be the best one. It's mesmerizing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Bx0dEYiDYw&hd=1

Wow, I never thought I would see Destino in an AMV. Then again, I thought I was done seeing AMVs at all, so there's that.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
There are still roughly 20 Naruto Linkin Park videos produced every minute.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Just Offscreen posted:

Wow, I never thought I would see Destino in an AMV. Then again, I thought I was done seeing AMVs at all, so there's that.

They never went away, and like Invictus said, they never stopped being terrible.

Except this, this one's cool.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z5jnaextwrQ

Terrorforge
Dec 22, 2013

More of a furnace, really

Captain Invictus posted:

There are still roughly 20 Naruto Linkin Park videos produced every minute.

That reminds me:

This is an officially licensed, limited edition Linkin Park transformer.

From 2013.

I know they picked Soundwave because he's the only "badass" transformer associated with music, but I can't help but feel like the 2013 Official Linkin Park Transformer being a cassette player is a hilarious metajoke about the cultural relevance of Linkin Park.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
OH MAN THIS SHOOTY GAME HAS CHARACTERS THAT ARE NOT AT ALL WELL-ROUNDED CHARACTERS. IF THEY WERE IN A BOOK, OH MAN, THAT BOOK WOULD HAVE BEEN REALLY BAD. SURE, IT'S NOT A BOOK, BUT A SHOOTY GAME WHERE PLOT HAS ALMOST NO BEARING ON GAMEPLAY, BUT STILL, I'D RATHER HAVE SOME RETARDED MEME OVER WHAT GAME DEVS CAME UP WITH, HEH.

Also, fanart.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wTUMbjFzli8

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Fanart of Gundam or Top Gun? You decide.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Terrorforge posted:

That reminds me:

This is an officially licensed, limited edition Linkin Park transformer.

From 2013.

I know they picked Soundwave because he's the only "badass" transformer associated with music, but I can't help but feel like the 2013 Official Linkin Park Transformer being a cassette player is a hilarious metajoke about the cultural relevance of Linkin Park.

Well, you know, there's an official licensed, limited edition Linkin Park Gundam too.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Are they really big in Japan for some reason?

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Linkin Park was also on the soundtrack of several Transformers movies. Then they got replaced by Imagine Dragons, and the first poster of Transformers 5 have Optimus fighting a dragon. So expect an Imagine Dragons dragon robot toy in 2020

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

Paladinus posted:

OH MAN THIS SHOOTY GAME HAS CHARACTERS THAT ARE NOT AT ALL WELL-ROUNDED CHARACTERS. IF THEY WERE IN A BOOK, OH MAN, THAT BOOK WOULD HAVE BEEN REALLY BAD. SURE, IT'S NOT A BOOK, BUT A SHOOTY GAME WHERE PLOT HAS ALMOST NO BEARING ON GAMEPLAY, BUT STILL, I'D RATHER HAVE SOME RETARDED MEME OVER WHAT GAME DEVS CAME UP WITH, HEH.

You're really mad about quality, books.

sturgeon general
Jun 27, 2005

Smells like sushi.

J.A.B.C. posted:

Yeah, it seems intentional that every Overwatch character is a shallow copy of pop culture characters so people gravitate towards heroes they like (Junkrat = Joker, Reaper = Spawn, McCree = Clint Eastwood). Overwatch is essentially a Team Fortress fangame too since Blizzard devs played QWTF nonstop while working on Starcraft 1.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

They never went away, and like Invictus said, they never stopped being terrible.

Except this, this one's cool.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z5jnaextwrQ

That owns, also I'd forgotten what an amazingly animated pile of garbage Unicorn was.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Sakurazuka posted:

That owns, also I'd forgotten what an amazingly animated pile of garbage Unicorn was.

I'm working through the series and posting my thoughts in the ADTRW Gundam Thread. So far I'm just about to watch Episode 6. I found the first three episodes frustrating but passable, but 4 and 5 were really good. Apart from the show having it's head up its rear end about it's overinflated sense of self importance, it's not been terrible so far. I take it I'm setting myself up for disappointment with the next few episodes in some way?

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
It's a series where not a lot happens very prettily.

Crocoswine
Aug 20, 2010

http://castellankurze.tumblr.com/post/147673571995/at-age-15-jack-morrison-was-the-youngest-person-on posted:

At age 15 Jack Morrison was the youngest person on his high school wrestling team.

At age 16 he set new records in both track and swimming.

At age 18 he entered ROTC and left home to attend college.

At age 22 he graduated with honors and became an officer of the US Army.

At age 25 he volunteered for the experimental Super Soldier program and recieved biotic enhancement to his strength, speed, and reflexes.

At age 30 he served with distinction in the Omnic Crisis.

At age 32 he was tapped to become leader of Overwatch, a multinational peacekeeping task force.

At age 50 he survived an attempted coup of Overwatch instigated by the mysterious Talon Organization, led by his close compatriot Gabriel Reyes. Having escaped the destruction of Overwatch’s HQ, he faked his death and went into hiding.

At age 51 he began acting as a rogue agent, identified only as ‘Soldier 76′ as he began attacking key points held by the Talon Organization and their affiliates in a one-man campaign to uncover the truth behind the fall of Overwatch.

At age 55 during a firefight in Greece, he was pushed off a cliff by a 19-year-old pro gamer who’d been given an advanced combat mech by the Korean government.

“Winky faaaaaaaaaace!” she called out as he fell to his death.

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

This was incredible.

Terrorforge
Dec 22, 2013

More of a furnace, really
I don't get what y'all see in that Disney montage. The editing is competent and the music is okay, but it's completely impossible to follow. The transitions don't seem to have any point beyond matching vaguely similar scenes, and even if they do that point is lost on me because they come and go so quickly I can't absorb what's happening. It honestly just makes me kind of nauseous.

(x)

(x)

Just Offscreen
Jun 29, 2006

Terrorforge posted:

I don't get what y'all see in that Disney montage. The editing is competent and the music is okay, but it's completely impossible to follow. The transitions don't seem to have any point beyond matching vaguely similar scenes, and even if they do that point is lost on me because they come and go so quickly I can't absorb what's happening. It honestly just makes me kind of nauseous.

Well the whole thing was clearly edited with an eye for color and motion, rather than trying to make a competent scene as such- which given what they chose to work with was the best way to go.

Parts Kit
Jun 9, 2006

durr
i have a hole in my head
durr
Swiped from geop's Dark Soul's 2 LP thread.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bzJDimvPW1Y

:psypop:

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...

Parts Kit posted:

Swiped from geop's Dark Soul's 2 LP thread.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bzJDimvPW1Y

:psypop:

In case anyone didn't know, it's a play on this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZCMmW4xivS4

(Which doesn't really make it any less :psypop:)

Concordat
Mar 4, 2007

Secondary Objective: Commit Fraud - Complete

Concordat has a new favorite as of 01:42 on Feb 9, 2017

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

So if Link was like unconscious in the Temple of Time for 7 years how did he get an earring

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

Waffleman_ posted:

So if Link was like unconscious in the Temple of Time for 7 years how did he get an earring

He was unconscious, doesn't mean he can't look fabulous

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

Waffleman_ posted:

Look when people are asleep for years you kiss them then you shrug and start taking suggestions.

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!