Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

moana
Jun 18, 2005

one of the more intellectual satire communities on the web
That doesn't look like a book cover, like, at all. When was the last time you saw a title that didn't have the words capitalized? And it starts with the most boringest of all boring prologues, continued with another boring introduction. It's like you're trying to make readers not want to read your book. Lastly, you have a bunch of song quotations for every chapter, and I'm guessing you didn't pay the royalties to those bands to license those lyrics, so if you ever do manage to make this a bestselling series, all of your money is going to be sued out of your wallet by the bands whose songs you're using without permission.

My brutally honest take, hope it helps you sell more copies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe
Oh hey, an extra $300 or so from that adjustment. I'll take it!

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe

MussoliniB posted:

I took all the notes I could from these threads and worked hard on creating my book.

And still published it with that cover? Really? Also, you've written a guide to management. Put your credentials further forward. As it is now, you write that you've 'hosed up many times' before you tell the reader why they should listen to you. I get that the tone of the book is supposed to be irreverent, but it's still a self-help book. Tell people why they should listen to you, and by extension, buy your book. Do it in the blurb. The wankery in the prologue is also getting in the way and needs to go. Write it as an afterword or something.

Bardeh fucked around with this message at 10:19 on Jul 22, 2016

Popular Human
Jul 17, 2005

and if it's a lie, terrorists made me say it
Yeah, that cover's a problem. Here, I just went ahead and grabbed three random examples of covers in the same category (short business books) that are all doing better than yours. One was published a couple weeks ago, one was written two months ago and one was written in 2014 and is still trucking:

https://www.amazon.com/Passive-Income-Beginners-Becoming-Making-ebook/dp/B01HYPXTVA/ref=zg_bs_8624204011_18#navbar

https://www.amazon.com/Millionaire-Mind-Budget-Saga-Book-ebook/dp/B01H5U2LJK/ref=zg_bs_8624204011_17#navbar

https://www.amazon.com/Write-Engage-Readers-Better-Booklets-ebook/dp/B00B56PP26/ref=zg_bs_8624204011_16#navbar

Notice anything? All of these books have a similar style: big, bold text, primary colors, cute clip art. Hell, cut the text out of the 'Millionaire Mind' one and replace it with your title and it'd be pretty much a perfect fit for you. These covers all yell 'read me and be successful', which yours doesn't.

You also botched the "Look Inside" portion of your book, which is the most important bit b/c it's what the reader sees before they buy. Looking at your chapter headings, it looks like you actually have some really good information here, but when I pull up the sample what I get is TWO introductions about yourself, then some song lyrics. The first intro talks about all the name changes and stuff your book went through (which, as an author, I get is incredibly interesting to YOU - just not to the reader), then the second says things like "I'm not claiming I know what the best thing to do is." Then why should I buy your book!?

ravenkult
Feb 3, 2011

LionArcher posted:

This is my concern. I can do romance covers easy. But this one I'm having an issue nailing.

Feel free to post some stock images you like here and we'll give you an opinion. Or join the Slack, why don't you.

The Fuzzy Hulk
Nov 22, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT CROSSING THE STREAMS

Bardeh posted:

Oh hey, an extra $300 or so from that adjustment. I'll take it!

Yup, I just got an extra car payment. Not going to complain about that.

MussoliniB
Aug 22, 2009
I just wanted to say thank you to every single person that had something to say about my book and I took every piece of advice to heart.

I changed the cover, got rid of the song lyrics, moved the wankery intro to an afterward, changed the look inside, changed the blurb, changed the keywords, and rewrote my intro to include why people should listen to me.

I tried to use all 3 books that were posted for me as a reference. Once again, sincerely, thank you everybody. Also, the cover of my book hasn't updated on the Amazon homepage for it yet, but it has updated on the look inside.

Thanks again for being the editors I couldn't afford, and here's an updated link: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01IMHDJ1E/ref=cm_sw_r_sms_awd_d_ZOoLxbARYWYM2

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

MussoliniB posted:

I just wanted to say thank you to every single person that had something to say about my book and I took every piece of advice to heart.

You still misspelled "millennials."

MussoliniB
Aug 22, 2009

Drone posted:

You still misspelled "millennials."

You must still be looking at the old cover, I just double checked and the new cover is correctly spelled.

Edit: The new cover isn't the black and white thing, it's full of prime colors now.

moana
Jun 18, 2005

one of the more intellectual satire communities on the web
Ten thousand times better! I do think you should rewrite your blurb so that it's more humorous instead of telling the reader that the book is going to be humorous, if you really are going for the Chad Kultgen thing. But loads better than before.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
Chokes Update™: Pen name has been changed to H.C. Cavall. Found a pretty sweet readymade buried in the horror section of Goon Write that I think is pretty arresting but also preserves the book feel. If it sucks I'm only out $45, but I think I'm on to something---especially since I'm not going to handle any of the typography or indeed anything graphical.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

ravenkult posted:

Feel free to post some stock images you like here and we'll give you an opinion. Or join the Slack, why don't you.

Slack's easier. It's not in the OP right?

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005
Someone give me a link to the Slack and I'll add it to the OP. I need to put Raven's cover service back in, too, so I promise I'll do it this week month year decade.

ravenkult
Feb 3, 2011

They need to email selfpub@mail.com for an invite. Invite email has all the deets.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

So let me get this straight, when we write short stories, they're bad and stupid and we should feel bad and stupid.

But when James Patterson does it...

ravenkult
Feb 3, 2011

''they're like reading movies'''

wut

gerg_861
Jan 2, 2009
Hi All - I've also tried to take the advice that I was given. I spent money on a grammar guide, spent a few days absorbing it, and then spent weeks going through my manuscript to fix all of the errors. I can probably use a comma correctly at least 75% of the time now. For the other 25%, and all of the other things I missed, I hired booksidemanner - a great experience. In terms of paying attention, I've also put together a mail chimp list and added it into the back of the book.

It has taken me a while, but I'm pretty happy with the writing, so I thought I'd come back for some more feedback. If I get some decent feedback, then I'll move on to distributing some ARCs (happy to send to anyone on here). I've basically copied the format of blurbs that are popular in the urban fantasy genre to get to the below:

Meet Julian Adler, twenty-something, married, and London's one-and-only Dreamwalker. Striding through the Dreamscape, he battles the worst monsters that a sleeping metropolis can imagine, but flinging fire and swinging steel he makes them burn and bleed.
Slaying imaginary monsters doesn't pay very well though, so Julian spends his days at an ordinary office job. Ordinary that is, until a beautiful witch walks through his office door and tries to put a spell on him. When the spell goes wrong, an eldritch horror is unleashed into the real world, bodies start to pile up, and Julian's magic is the only thing that might be able to send it, shrieking, back into oblivion.
Can Julian discover the right spell to banish the demon, or will it drag his family, his city, and the entire world into a nightmare that never ends?

Possible cover below:

gerg_861 fucked around with this message at 08:02 on Jul 26, 2016

EngineerSean
Feb 9, 2004

by zen death robot

Bobby Deluxe posted:

So let me get this straight, when we write short stories, they're bad and stupid and we should feel bad and stupid.

But when James Patterson does it...

These were all the talk at RWA. I don't know why you think "when we write short stories, they're bad and stupid." I'd personally advise against it because the market just isn't there, but if that's what you really want to do, do it. Just don't expect it to sell like a novel. These Bookshots have access to airport bookstores which is a huge percentage of print sales.

Aaronicon
Oct 2, 2010

A BLOO BLOO ANYONE I DISAGREE WITH IS A "BAD PERSON" WHO DESERVES TO DIE PLEEEASE DONT FALL ALL OVER YOURSELF WHITEWASHING THEM A BLOO BLOO

gerg_861 posted:

words that i didn't read

Can't see poo poo, captain.

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

Total Eclipse of the Heart

quote:

In the US, Patterson will publish between two and four of the 150-page, $5 novels a month via publisher Little Brown

He's ghostwriting up to 600 pages a month

Jalumibnkrayal
Apr 16, 2008

Ramrod XTreme

gerg_861 posted:

Hi All - I've also tried to take the advice that I was given. I spent money on a grammar guide, spent a few days absorbing it, and then spent weeks going through my manuscript to fix all of the errors. I can probably use a comma correctly at least 75% of the time now. For the other 25%, and all of the other things I missed, I hired booksidemanner - a great experience. In terms of paying attention, I've also put together a mail chimp list and added it into the back of the book.

It has taken me a while, but I'm pretty happy with the writing, so I thought I'd come back for some more feedback. If I get some decent feedback, then I'll move on to distributing some ARCs (happy to send to anyone on here). I've basically copied the format of blurbs that are popular in the urban fantasy genre to get to the below:

Meet Julian Adler, twenty-something, married, and London's one-and-only Dreamwalker. Striding through the Dreamscape, he battles the worst monsters that a sleeping metropolis can imagine, but flinging fire and swinging steel he makes them burn and bleed.
Slaying imaginary monsters doesn't pay very well though, so Julian spends his days at an ordinary office job. Ordinary that is, until a beautiful witch walks through his office door and tries to put a spell on him. When the spell goes wrong, an eldritch horror is unleashed into the real world, bodies start to pile up, and Julian's magic is the only thing that might be able to send it, shrieking, back into oblivion.
Can Julian discover the right spell to banish the demon, or will it drag his family, his city, and the entire world into a nightmare that never ends?

Title: It's clever but I'm worried that too many people will just glaze past it thinking it's a memoir, literary fiction or non-fiction title.

Subtitle: I wish it rhymed. It's so close but so unsatisfying.

Cover: It seems to have good elements tied together, but I would check to see what the bestselling books in your genre are doing. Photos or illustrations? Full character profiles doing badass poo poo, or are they more subtle like yours? Your model doesn't have a lot of intensity, so it's hard to get excited about him.

Blurb: I'm more interested in the dreamslayer part of your story than the urban magic part. I get that they go hand in hand, but by the end when it talks about him trying to learn a spell, I'm checking out. But it's not a genre I normally read so I dunno.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug
Finally got my writing machine back again after another catastrophic software failure (which may, in fact, be a hardware failure) leading to my next point... Take this as a reminder to ensure your writing files are being backed up correctly, and that the back-ups are up to date! Losing a book would suck.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

RedTonic posted:

Finally got my writing machine back again after another catastrophic software failure (which may, in fact, be a hardware failure) leading to my next point... Take this as a reminder to ensure your writing files are being backed up correctly, and that the back-ups are up to date! Losing a book would suck.

OneDrive or Dropbox. It's a lifesaver.

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe

Chokes McGee posted:

I just use my OneDrive folder as my writing folder. Never even have to think or worry about backups, and all my work is always there on every computer I use. I really don't understand why there are ANY authors left worrying about data loss when it's so fast and easy to install OneDrive (or similar) and then just forget about it forever.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
Hi everybody! Chokes is back with another lovely cover!

I realize everyone is going to point and laugh, but the reason I keep subjecting myself to this is I want to get better at graphical design. One day I may not suck. Today is probably not that day.

Anyway I bought a ready made, applied a high pass filter to the eyeball to reduce uncanny valley, then moved/resized various text and feathered it a little. I think it's better than previous attempts, even if it's not acceptable. Thoughts? Is this salvageable?

ravenkult
Feb 3, 2011

That's actually pretty good. Not sure if it's good for your book, but good overall. I'd try a different font for the title though.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

ravenkult posted:

That's actually pretty good. Not sure if it's good for your book, but good overall. I'd try a different font for the title though.

Yeah. I was thinking it's fine for the small tagline but for a title font it's a crime against nature. I think it'll work as far as covers go. It's visually arresting and gets people to look at the blurb, represents the horror of the Taint, and actually ties back loosely to a scene in the book. Slap Astin's name on the front to prepare for a possible series and Bob's your uncle.

Let me work over the title font a bit and I'll repost. Goon Write provided the ready made though which was a pretty solid base. Just gotta dig sometimes.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug
The illustration is cool. I also agree that the title typography could use some work, though. The font isn't the best, but the stark white isn't quite doing it for me. Perhaps try matching it to the sclera on the eye (which is off-white)? Maybe some light texturing on the title and penname would also improve the look.

Bardeh posted:

I just use my OneDrive folder as my writing folder. Never even have to think or worry about backups, and all my work is always there on every computer I use. I really don't understand why there are ANY authors left worrying about data loss when it's so fast and easy to install OneDrive (or similar) and then just forget about it forever.

Chokes McGee posted:

Absolutely. Fortunately, most of my poo poo was backed up in a couple spots, but I almost lost some recent progress - didn't realize my Scrivener saves were not going to the google drive anymore. Probably happened during a software update.

Anyway, I figure a PSA now and again might catch more people who've neglected automated back-ups or, like me, hosed up somewhere along the line and are not as safe as they think.

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

RedTonic posted:

- didn't realize my Scrivener saves were not going to the google drive anymore.

FYI - Scrivener does not play well with Google Drive. Literature and Latte, the folks who make it, used to have a warning post about it. I had a similar issue where a weeks worth of writing just disappeared from Google Drive.

I've had no issues with Dropbox.

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

Total Eclipse of the Heart
I write directly into google docs and save all word, vellum, and cover files into a Dropbox folder...never lost anything!

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug

angel opportunity posted:

I write directly into google docs and save all word, vellum, and cover files into a Dropbox folder...never lost anything!

I actually have a lot of trouble with google docs and longer documents. Not sure if it's because my internet connectivity is lovely or the old local infrastructure or what. I used to make heavy use of gdocs, but the load times/crashing/file conversion issues I experienced became too much after my 2nd book.

Though I cleaned out my Dropbox account this weekend so I can start using that again...

Yooper posted:

FYI - Scrivener does not play well with Google Drive. Literature and Latte, the folks who make it, used to have a warning post about it. I had a similar issue where a weeks worth of writing just disappeared from Google Drive.

I've had no issues with Dropbox.

I never saw that post. :sad: Probably would have saved me some stress. Have you used the mobile sync option on Scrivener?

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

RedTonic posted:

I never saw that post. :sad: Probably would have saved me some stress. Have you used the mobile sync option on Scrivener?

Nope! I'm on a writing hiatus right now while I wrap up some health issues.

I assume it's for the new mobile version of Scrivener? I despise writing on mobile devices so I probably won't try it.

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

thanks for the reminder about backing up work, thread. I had my entire book on a single hard drive and backed it up to dropbox just now

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
Now you guys get to see my lovely typography skills, too!

Try #2. I went with Tarjan for the main font, because I'm rapidly learning you can't ever go wrong with Tarjan. Also added some beveling on the title text to spruce it up a bit. Left the rest as is, though, until I see how this attempt went.

gerg_861
Jan 2, 2009

Jalumibnkrayal posted:

Title: It's clever but I'm worried that too many people will just glaze past it thinking it's a memoir, literary fiction or non-fiction title.

Subtitle: I wish it rhymed. It's so close but so unsatisfying.

Cover: It seems to have good elements tied together, but I would check to see what the bestselling books in your genre are doing. Photos or illustrations? Full character profiles doing badass poo poo, or are they more subtle like yours? Your model doesn't have a lot of intensity, so it's hard to get excited about him.

Blurb: I'm more interested in the dreamslayer part of your story than the urban magic part. I get that they go hand in hand, but by the end when it talks about him trying to learn a spell, I'm checking out. But it's not a genre I normally read so I dunno.

Thanks for the feedback - the lack of rhyme was driving me nuts too. I've changed it to "Spells fly and nightmares die".

ravenkult
Feb 3, 2011

Chokes McGee posted:

Now you guys get to see my lovely typography skills, too!

Try #2. I went with Tarjan for the main font, because I'm rapidly learning you can't ever go wrong with Tarjan. Also added some beveling on the title text to spruce it up a bit. Left the rest as is, though, until I see how this attempt went.

Now change the author name font.

Try Bebas for the title?

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
Try #3. Changed the title font out to Bebas, used Trajan for the secondary font, then went mad with power with Bevel Object. :unsmigghh:

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe

Chokes McGee posted:

Try #3. Changed the title font out to Bebas, used Trajan for the secondary font, then went mad with power with Bevel Object. :unsmigghh:

I really like this.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Bardeh posted:

I really like this.

Holy poo poo. I did it.

I came up with a cover that doesn't suck.

:shobon:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
While I'm at it, can I run these two phrases by the Greek speakers in this thread so I don't sound like a dumbass post production? (These are both things Nemesis says since, y'know, Greek goddess.)

Ρε λαμώτο - Speaks for itself, probably :v:

Θέμης μας βοηθά; - "Themis help us."

It's probably terrible but it's the best I got :negative: