Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
camoseven
Dec 30, 2005

RODOLPHONE RINGIN'

TheBoyBlunder posted:

Does anyone know the particulars of the new rules surrounding the all star game? I know the league instituted some new idiotic policy and I can't find the rules.

Jermaine Jones is getting an MRI on one of his bad knees and I seriously doubt he'll play. Does that mean he's getting fined, suspended, or nothing at all?

I'm sure there are other players in the same boat like Kaka, will they get fined too?

They won't get fined, but they will be suspended for the next league match.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Lore Bear
Jan 21, 2014

I don't know what to put here. Guys? GUYS?!

TheBoyBlunder posted:

Does anyone know the particulars of the new rules surrounding the all star game? I know the league instituted some new idiotic policy and I can't find the rules.

Jermaine Jones is getting an MRI on one of his bad knees and I seriously doubt he'll play. Does that mean he's getting fined, suspended, or nothing at all?

I'm sure there are other players in the same boat like Kaka, will they get fined too?

Wasn't it just being suspended for the game after the All-Star game? Or am I thinking of the NHL?

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Shrapnig posted:

They should give him a medal.

He'll be lucky if Garber doesn't come up with some new rule mandating that all US players have to play or they'll be suspended for the rest of the year.

Fucitol
May 8, 2005

Ceterum autem censeo mundum esse delendam

Memento, homo, quia pulvis es, et in pulverem reverteris
relegate the all star game to hell where it belongs

imho

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Just another jackass on the Internet
Move it to Columbus? I agree.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

camoseven posted:

They won't get fined, but they will be suspended for the next league match.

Which shouldn't make a difference for someone like Jones who is ACTUALLY injured, I guess was the reasoning.

TheBoyBlunder
Jul 3, 2004

Anyone else have the munchies?

Dallan Invictus posted:

Which shouldn't make a difference for someone like Jones who is ACTUALLY injured, I guess was the reasoning.

That's my thinking. If a player is *actually* injured then who cares, let them take a break without penalty. If they're just taking a break without injury if the league wants to suspend them that's stupid but that's up to the league.

Edit - of course then you get into who's faking and who's injured and all the rest of that crap. Personally I don't care for the ASG, so I'm all for guys taking the game off.

Fucitol posted:

relegate the all star game to hell where it belongs

imho

Or this.

Tigren
Oct 3, 2003
So Castillo to Trabzonspor and apparently Sean Franklin is being looked at by Gaziantepspor. Get you some Turkey!

camoseven
Dec 30, 2005

RODOLPHONE RINGIN'

Dallan Invictus posted:

The reasoning was that they don't want anyone faking and not playing in their big money grab event. It really blows for players who have little nagging injuries who don't really need a week off, but also really don't need to be playing an extra midweek game.

highme
May 25, 2001

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

I think there's a loophole where if you don't play the match before, you don't have to play in the Cash Grab. Which is why Ridgewell isn't active for this weekend (also he's still a bit injured).

Tigren
Oct 3, 2003
Is anyone in town for the All Star game? Is anyone at the homegrown game?

camoseven
Dec 30, 2005

RODOLPHONE RINGIN'

Tigren posted:

Is anyone in town for the All Star game? Is anyone at the homegrown game?

No one is at the homegrown game. Source: I'm watching on MLS Live for some reason.

Tigren
Oct 3, 2003

camoseven posted:

No one is at the homegrown game. Source: I'm watching on MLS Live for some reason.

I know. Source I'm sitting wherever I want in the stadium.

camoseven
Dec 30, 2005

RODOLPHONE RINGIN'

Tigren posted:

I know. Source I'm sitting wherever I want in the stadium.

How much were tickets?

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

camoseven posted:

How much were tickets?

I hope they paid him to take them.

Tigren
Oct 3, 2003

camoseven posted:

How much were tickets?

$25 through ticket master or free if you went to any of the fan fest crap.

camoseven
Dec 30, 2005

RODOLPHONE RINGIN'

SeaTard posted:

I hope they paid him to take them.

If it were in DC I'd pay $20 for the novelty factor. I'm actually kind of hoping DC gets the ASG after the new stadium is finished, and then that will be the last ASG ever played.

edit:

Tigren posted:

$25 through ticket master or free if you went to any of the fan fest crap.

That's not bad. MLS is really stinkin' it up, though, but at least the stadium is nice!

USMC_Karl
Nov 17, 2003

SUPPORTER OF THE REINSTATED LAWFUL HAWAIIAN GOVERNMENT. HAOLES GET OFF DA `AINA.
Whelp, Castillo is officially going to Turkey. Kind of a drag, but I think FC Dallas will be able to handle things without too much of a hit.

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

https://twitter.com/TSerdarS/status/758191690926686208

I don't know, they seem pretty bummed to be getting him :v:

TheNakedJimbo
Nov 18, 2004

If you die first, I am definitely going to eat you. The question is, if I die first...what are YOU gonna do?

USMC_Karl posted:

Whelp, Castillo is officially going to Turkey. Kind of a drag, but I think FC Dallas will be able to handle things without too much of a hit.

Akindele played on the wing enough the past two seasons, and Rosales is also an experienced winger even though he's not as fast as he used to be. Between the two of them and Barrios, I bet they can hold down the fort until Pareja finds the next Fabi chilling in the Colombian second division.

Edit: I think Coy Craft also played winger in his loan to OKC, and Pareja is apparently pretty keen on his potential.

Tigren
Oct 3, 2003

TheNakedJimbo posted:

Akindele played on the wing enough the past two seasons, and Rosales is also an experienced winger even though he's not as fast as he used to be. Between the two of them and Barrios, I bet they can hold down the fort until Pareja finds the next Fabi chilling in the Colombian second division.

Edit: I think Coy Craft also played winger in his loan to OKC, and Pareja is apparently pretty keen on his potential.

You know how Fabi kinda faded because other teams caught on to his act? That's because the rest of the team doesn't have enough dangerous pieces to pull attention. I predict the team will perform well, but will regress as a whole.

Tigren
Oct 3, 2003
In stupid All Star related news, Liam Ridgewell, who sat out of Portland's last game due to injury, will be suspended from their next game because he's sitting out of the All Star Game.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Tigren posted:

In stupid All Star related news, Liam Ridgewell, who sat out of Portland's last game due to injury, will be suspended from their next game because he's sitting out of the All Star Game.

MLS sucks.

porkface
Dec 29, 2000

Tigren posted:

Yes, noted ASG dodger Liam Ridgewell. Great job MLS.

I was thinking that if someone played in the ASG the year prior and misses either the game prior or game after the break in the current year, they should be allowed to skip.

So the only people who would be suspended are those who miss 2 ASG in a row and play in the game prior to the break.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

porkface posted:

Yes, noted ASG dodger Liam Ridgewell. Great job MLS.

I was thinking that if someone played in the ASG the year prior and misses either the game prior or game after the break in the current year, they should be allowed to skip.

So the only people who would be suspended are those who miss 2 ASG in a row and play in the game prior to the break.

Actually I think you should be allowed to skip the All Star Game for no reason at all because it's a stupid and antiquated concept that makes MLS look like even more of a Mickey Mouse league than it's already perceived to be.

TheNakedJimbo
Nov 18, 2004

If you die first, I am definitely going to eat you. The question is, if I die first...what are YOU gonna do?

Tigren posted:

You know how Fabi kinda faded because other teams caught on to his act? That's because the rest of the team doesn't have enough dangerous pieces to pull attention. I predict the team will perform well, but will regress as a whole.

That's a possibility. I think that getting marked out of the game was only half his problem; the other half was inside his own head. The more other teams caught on to him, the more he seemed determined to crush all resistance singlehandedly. If there were three or four defenders in front of him, he was going to do his Fabi thing and brute-force the ball through or lose possession trying. The worse he was playing, the more selfish he got.

The team may regress a little because neither Akindele nor Rosales is as good a winger as Fabi is. But because they're not as good, they'll look for a pass where Fabi would have looked to dribble through three guys. I wouldn't at all be surprised if the result were a more dangerous attack because of that greater willingness to spread the ball around.

e: Fabi has 5 goals and 5 assists in 1750 minutes; Tesho has 5 goals and 3 assists in 1050.

TheNakedJimbo fucked around with this message at 00:22 on Jul 29, 2016

porkface
Dec 29, 2000

Shrapnig posted:

Actually I think you should be allowed to skip the All Star Game for no reason at all because it's a stupid and antiquated concept that makes MLS look like even more of a Mickey Mouse league than it's already perceived to be.

As long as this applies to fans too I think we're fine.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Shrapnig posted:

It's so drat stupid because they're the only league that still acts like we're all supposed to take it as some kind of serious thing. Even Major League Baseball has lightened up in that regard.

clandestine cactus
Feb 5, 2009

Hot Rope Guy
Guys I'm worried about Qu Appelle, because we just re-signed Flaco and there have been no posts. :ohdear:

Qu Appelle
Nov 3, 2005

"If a COVID-19 pandemic occurs, public health officials may have additional instructions, such as avoiding close contact with others as much as possible, and staying home if someone in your household is sick." - Official insights from Public Health: Seattle & King County staff

clandestine cactus posted:

Guys I'm worried about Qu Appelle, because we just re-signed Flaco and there have been no posts. :ohdear:

Oh, that awkward skinny hug is back!

Sorry all - I've been in school full time, and basically ignoring stuff that isn't my Java homework!

But yes - SUPER EXCITED!

Only registered members can see post attachments!

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Crazy Ted posted:

It's so drat stupid because they're the only league that still acts like we're all supposed to take it as some kind of serious thing. Even Major League Baseball has lightened up in that regard.

MLB still ties the all-star game result into who has home-field advantage in the World Series, which seems like the exact opposite of "lightened up". :confused:

The All-Star game should either be East/West (or MLS/LigaMX, like I've seen suggested elsewhere) held after the MLS Cup or gently caress the game and just have it be a shitload of skill competitions. Namely because I want to see the soccer equivalent of this:

(That would be a professional quarterback fumbling away a ball that was stationary for him to grab then getting his pass intercepted by a cardboard cutout)

Of course neither will happen because :10bux:

tk
Dec 10, 2003

Nap Ghost

Tigren posted:

This is stupid and the all star game is stupid.

Qu Appelle
Nov 3, 2005

"If a COVID-19 pandemic occurs, public health officials may have additional instructions, such as avoiding close contact with others as much as possible, and staying home if someone in your household is sick." - Official insights from Public Health: Seattle & King County staff

More recent Flaco sighting, at Starfire yesterday.

Seems he was brought in to help Lodeiro.

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

https://twitter.com/PaulTenorio/status/759152932403249152

I guess you could say Chicago is having a fire sale...

...I'll see myself out.

paddyboat
Feb 20, 2013

Maxi, Maxi Rodriguez
Run down the wing for me
Unless "TAM" is some unknown Brazilian striker I'm sort of pissed off about this news.

Your Boy Fancy
Feb 7, 2003

by Cyrano4747
I don't understand

We keep getting younger and signing Africans instead of getting older and signing Americans

Hello Towel
Aug 9, 2010

Have fun with Igboananike, DC. He has a real talent for getting into good positions and then loving up the actual "shot on goal" part.

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Your Boy Fancy posted:

I don't understand

We keep getting younger and signing Africans instead of getting older and signing Americans

Maybe Olsen picked up that brain-altering parasite you get from catshit :shrug:

B.B. Rodriguez
Aug 8, 2005

Bender: "I was God once." God: "Yes, I saw. You were doing well until everyone died."

Hello Towel posted:

Have fun with Igboananike, DC. He has a real talent for getting into good positions and then loving up the actual "shot on goal" part.

Oduro has made a career out of this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hello Towel
Aug 9, 2010

B.B. Rodriguez posted:

Oduro has made a career out of this.

The Fire FO just has the best eye for strikers, don't they?

At least they're both better than Nery loving Castillo.

• Locked thread