Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
I hate to think how long it takes to process a single turn.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

I hate to think how long it takes to process a single turn.

The guy who ran it recently said that factoring crashes it took about 5 hours per turn. It fluctuates though. After a recent large war began turn times dropped as a number of units died. Also, I think he started to run some other mod that draws less models for each image and that helped as well.

It goes without saying but I still follow this pretty regularly, it was a bit boring for a while but since then it sort of got through the slump and all the civs left have really started going at it.

Jump King fucked around with this message at 14:51 on Jul 18, 2016

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Dragonrah posted:

That doesn't look even remotely fun.

These things are surprisingly popular and even the Civ 6 devs have taken note, saying they want to make such AI showdowns easier to set up

Incidentally this guy is loving prolific on his channel and spends an inordinate amount of time commentating on games like these, how he finds the time to do it in between everything else he streams is anyone's guess :stare:

I would like the idea if you could actually program your AI and pit it against competitor AIs, but as it is I just can't see the appeal - it's less like watching a cockfight and more like watching a bunch of demented seals flop about on a beach

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.
Looks like the reddit Battle Royale is being posted to youtube with commentary too: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zn_Do2_VpU0

His narration is fun to listen to, at least

Aerdan
Apr 14, 2012

Not Dennis NEDry

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

I would like the idea if you could actually program your AI and pit it against competitor AIs, but as it is I just can't see the appeal - it's less like watching a cockfight and more like watching a bunch of demented seals flop about on a beach

There's actually an old DOS game where you write an AI for your tank and pit it against other tank AIs. My dad loves it, but he says that the main problem with it is that you can write an AI that can counter everything.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.
Perhaps for a tank yeah, but if the game is complex enough then an AI can only be programmed so far, and players would have to balance priorities

Anyway I just watched the last two Battle Royale videos and it's actually pretty fun to watch everything fall apart in a smorgasbord of war :unsmigghh:

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
COREWAR and RoboWar are other old games in the "build an AI and pit it against other AIs" vein. Both of them also limit your AI's resources (in COREWAR each AI gets one instruction per turn, effectively, and in RoboWar you have to point-buy your robot's hardware, which includes its CPU, movement system, and the weapons it uses to destroy other robots).

I could definitely conceive of a "write your own 4X AI" competition, though. You'd still need to quantify how much resources it's allowed to suck up somehow, e.g. "not allowed to take more than 10s per turn on this EC2 instance", but otherwise it's a very deep problem with a lot of things to consider.

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

Looks like the reddit Battle Royale is being posted to youtube with commentary too: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zn_Do2_VpU0

His narration is fun to listen to, at least

I decided to start with the first episode, and of COURSE they're using Hitler as a German leader.

E: I really want to play on this map too, but I can't find a download link.

Peas and Rice fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Jul 18, 2016

SirKibbles
Feb 27, 2011

I didn't like your old red text so here's some dancing cash. :10bux:
Prepare for CFC tears

France- Catherine de Medici
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eINr4EqAkSc

France UA: Grand Tour: Bonus to production for mid-game wonders and extra tourism from wonders.
France UU: Guard Imperial: Bonus when fighting on your home continent and I think extra Great General points from kills.
Tile improvement: Chateau is back gives culture with extra if it's near any wonders ,got to be on a river though.
Catherine's leader ability: Lady's in waiting basically extra info from spies you also get an extra spies at castles (I think it's a tech not a civic)

eit: wrong thread but eh

SirKibbles fucked around with this message at 15:41 on Jul 26, 2016

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
4chan has the 4chan Cup using Pro Evolution Soccer with people essentially setting up tactics and such and then playing AI teams against each other

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Peas and Rice posted:

I decided to start with the first episode, and of COURSE they're using Hitler as a German leader.

E: I really want to play on this map too, but I can't find a download link.

Hitler gets crushed pretty early thankfully.

The BR is pretty slow paced, but it's fun to skim through and see what's going on.

fishception
Feb 20, 2011

~carrier has arrived~
Oven Wrangler
Playing on the Community Balance Patch.

Akkad is kind of a big deal.

6 Salt resources, an iron resource, an amber resource, and over 100 production once that Ironworks was built.

fishception fucked around with this message at 01:06 on Jul 27, 2016

Safety Scissors
Feb 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I got this game over the weekend cause it was like 13 bucks for everything on steam. I flat out don't like it as much as Civ4. It just doesn't feel like a thought out game and more like a few concepts that can work together but ultimately lack synergy.

The Pros
- Hex Grid
- No Unit stacking

The Cons
The biggest problem is that there are too many concepts which don't add to the game and are just kind of there
- Some stats like faith and tourism are do little or nothing unless you have a specific set up
- Capitals can't be razed to make the City State concept work
- The tech tree just doesn't feel right because some stuff was unnecessarily stripped to make other concepts
- Religion is just so bland. There's no difference between any of them.
- No need for ideologies and policies when they both are pretty much the same thing
- Some Civ bonuses feel tacked on to smooth things out (Italy - City States, Celts - Lack of forest preserves)

Additionally
- Units don't talk in their native language anymore
- No wonder cut scenes

Overall, I'm a bit disappointed even when accouting for how little I paid for the game

Tumblr of scotch
Mar 13, 2006

Please, don't be my neighbor.

Safety Scissors posted:

The Cons
Okay I get complaining about the rest but what??? Did we play the same Civ IV? Religions in Civ V have way more differences between them than in Civ IV considering that in the latter, there was literally, by design, exactly zero difference between any two given faiths. There can be a load of difference between religions in Civ V though, unless you think a religion with Desert Folklore and Tithe is identical to one with Faith Healers and Papal Primacy.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
http://i.imgur.com/ZEuDuoM.gifv

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
I think they mean that on the surface, religions are just faceplates on top of bonus traits. There's that magistrates mod and every religion has a few magistrate options unique to it that make them more than just "Eastern Orthodoxy symbol called Smoke Weed with Tithe and Pagodas." Shinto, for example, has an option that (iirc) powers up Universities and lets you buy them with Faith without the Piety policy, and a repeatable option that gives you a huge lump sum of gold.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

The White Dragon posted:

I think they mean that on the surface, religions are just faceplates on top of bonus traits. There's that magistrates mod and every religion has a few magistrate options unique to it that make them more than just "Eastern Orthodoxy symbol called Smoke Weed with Tithe and Pagodas." Shinto, for example, has an option that (iirc) powers up Universities and lets you buy them with Faith without the Piety policy, and a repeatable option that gives you a huge lump sum of gold.

Doesn't sound like there's any real difference. With Civ V religion, each religion is an icon and a few customizable traits. With the mod, each religion is an icon with a few customizable traits, and some static trait. Instead of rushing smoke trees orthodoxy to get desert folklore, you rush shinto, with desert folklore and faith-buy universities.

Either way, it's better than Civ IV, where you choice of religion is Spain likes me, or Spain doesn't like me.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Soooo... it's a faceplate that goes on top of some bonus traits you choose, and some more that you don't??

edit: beaten, exactly

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

The White Dragon posted:

The problem with making religions not faceplates is that each Civ is predisposed to a particular "faceplate," but picks Beliefs based on situation. A lot of Civs have a preference for Protestant Christianity and Catholicism iirc while absolutely no Civ prioritizes Judaism.

Safety Scissors
Feb 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
In Civ4 religions were just faceplates. If you found it and spread it through out your nation there was some slight bonus, but overall they didn't do too much. One thing I liked is that they were arranged in the order which they were founded and tied to certain concepts in the tech tree.

I think that if you want religions to do something, they shouldn't be their own separate thing. There needs to be a more general belief system with religion being a part of it. The same religion can be practiced quite differently in other places. Like my brother's wife is from Kenya. Her grandfather had 3 wives even though he was a devout Catholic. Apparently in Kenya at the time polygamy and Catholicism went hand in hand There's definitely room for options, but this game shot itself in the foot by making everything its stand alone thing.

If religion was worked into ideologies, for example, you could have a substantially more fluid system. A tier one choice could be Old Testament, which makes your religion Judaism. A tier two choice could be New Testament and that makes your religion Orthodox Christianity. A tier three choice could be Koran which makes you Muslim or Papa supremacy which makes you Catholic. It's just something I came up with in like five minutes, but overall my point is that religion, policies, and ideologies should probably be combined into one more cohesive system.

Safety Scissors fucked around with this message at 05:05 on Jul 28, 2016

Trihugger
Jun 28, 2008

hello
Religion wasn't in the base game, it came from an expansion. So when it was added, it was it's own seperate thing outside of policies and ideologies.

So if it feels tacked on it was. But there's a lot more you can mess around with using religion than at first glance. Though it is also true that depending on your start and civ, you can largely ignore it. That can make it feel useless and unintegrated, but it also allows for real options on some mechanics that you can choose to ignore or focus on depending on your game.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

Safety Scissors posted:

- The tech tree just doesn't feel right because some stuff was unnecessarily stripped to make other concepts

I think you have some valid complaints but what's this? Are you saying the Civ 5 tech tree doesn't feel right compared to Civ 4 because it lacks the well-known technologies of "Communism" and "Meditation"?

However well Civ 4 played as a game, the tech tree was always a pile of bollocks with those kinds of things in there.

The distinction they ended up making, by pulling them out and stuffing them into the new social policy trees and religion system was very necessary, even if they weren't balanced perfectly in the end.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

Safety Scissors posted:

In Civ4 religions were just faceplates. If you found it and spread it through out your nation there was some slight bonus, but overall they didn't do too much. One thing I liked is that they were arranged in the order which they were founded and tied to certain concepts in the tech tree.

I think that if you want religions to do something, they shouldn't be their own separate thing. There needs to be a more general belief system with religion being a part of it. The same religion can be practiced quite differently in other places. Like my brother's wife is from Kenya. Her grandfather had 3 wives even though he was a devout Catholic. Apparently in Kenya at the time polygamy and Catholicism went hand in hand There's definitely room for options, but this game shot itself in the foot by making everything its stand alone thing.

If religion was worked into ideologies, for example, you could have a substantially more fluid system. A tier one choice could be Old Testament, which makes your religion Judaism. A tier two choice could be New Testament and that makes your religion Orthodox Christianity. A tier three choice could be Koran which makes you Muslim or Papa supremacy which makes you Catholic. It's just something I came up with in like five minutes, but overall my point is that religion, policies, and ideologies should probably be combined into one more cohesive system.

This is a valid opinion, but when in your original post you say "Civ5 is inferior to Civ4 and here's why" and then list "religions are too samey" as a reason, that makes us all assume you're Just Another Civ4 Zealot.

Anyway Civ6 is going even further with breaking things out into their own little gameplay elements, so you once again are probably going to be happier continuing to play Civ4.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Eh, I'm of the opinion that religion in civ v is really, really good. I like being able to fashion your own thing to roleplay along with and it's just miles ahead of civ iv religion.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

MMM Whatchya Say posted:

Eh, I'm of the opinion that religion in civ v is really, really good. I like being able to fashion your own thing to roleplay along with and it's just miles ahead of civ iv religion.

I also find the idea of religious beliefs forming based on your environment very true to life.

Now if they can just balance it and find a more interesting alternative to missionary spam...

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

RagnarokAngel posted:

I also find the idea of religious beliefs forming based on your environment very true to life.

Now if they can just balance it and find a more interesting alternative to missionary spam...

Get rid of missionaries, or make them vastly more expensive, at least. The primary methods of spreading religion should be trade routes and warfare.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Get rid of missionaries, or make them vastly more expensive, at least. The primary methods of spreading religion should be trade routes and warfare.

While it would be more realistic, if there's one thing I miss about Civ 4's handling of religion, it's how non-zero sum it was. You weren't losing out on an AI that was aggressively trying to spread its religion since it didn't ice yours out at the same time; it was a bonus for them if they had the GP wonder, sure, maybe some vision/spying benefits, but it wasn't hurting you, either (and honestly it was helping you). The thing that makes Missionaries and Great Prophets so infuriating in Civ 5 is that their presence is solely to your detriment, and the more the AI shits them out, the thirstier it grows

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Make them a one time deal per city. Let them give you a foothold without turning into a brute force tug-of-war to see who can dump the most faith buys.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Sorting named historical religions into tiers is perhaps not the best of ideas.

And religion in Civ V is a good system that synergizes with all the others. Civ choice and terrain can lead to the prioritization of faith, which shifts your strategy with techs and policies, while the individual tenets you choose and how deep you invest into the system will still have ramifications in the late game

Safety Scissors
Feb 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Eric the Mauve posted:

This is a valid opinion, but when in your original post you say "Civ5 is inferior to Civ4 and here's why"

I never stated this game is inferior I said

Safety Scissors posted:

I flat out don't like it as much as Civ4. It just doesn't feel like a thought out game and more like a few concepts that can work together but

Eric the Mauve posted:

and then list "religions are too samey" as a reason, that makes us all assume you're Just Another Civ4 Zealot.

I didn't actually list that as a reason. I only listed one major reasons for disliking the game

Safety Scissors posted:

The Cons
The biggest problem is that there are too many concepts which don't add to the game and are just kind of there

All the things with the dashes are simply supporting examples for that reason. I just don't know if SA allows for sub points and if it does how to make them This part may have been a little unclear.

The thing is it's easy to attack all the points individually because they're all good ideas. Unfortunately, good ideas by themselves don't make good games. In my opinion, if you look at how all the good ideas fit into the game as a whole, the product is subpar. Overall the changes don't make Civ 5 better or worse than Civ 4. It's just my opinion that if you introduce new/more mechanics/systems to a game, they should clearly make the game better, otherwise they're a poor design choice. When you play the game, you only interact with the executions of the ideas, not the good intentions behind them. This leaves me with the sense that all the concepts should have been better implemented in the initial design of the game. Civ 4 doesn't have that for me.

Safety Scissors fucked around with this message at 16:34 on Jul 28, 2016

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
Religion in Civ 5 is horribly balanced.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Gort posted:

Religion in Civ 5 is horribly balanced.

Yeah.

On Terra Firma
Feb 12, 2008

Safety Scissors posted:

- Some stats like faith and tourism are do little or nothing unless you have a specific set up

Faith is incredibly important, just like religion is, because the bonuses you get by being first to found a religion, or picking the right perks for your religion to strengthen your specific position are huge. Tourism can be invaluable late game by causing other cultures to go unhappy when you get to your ideology.

quote:

Like?

quote:

That's why you pick the attributes for the religion you found. The symbols/names mean nothing. It's about which beliefs you select.

quote:

- No need for ideologies and policies when they both are pretty much the same thing

Ideologies are incredibly strong and stack in a much more complex way than regular policies do.

quote:

- Some Civ bonuses feel tacked on to smooth things out (Italy - City States, Celts - Lack of forest preserves)

The celts aren't a strong civ generally, but being first to get religion out, and being the first to spread your religion, have huge benefits later on in the game.

I think you're making the mistake I did when I first started playing in some of the assumptions you're making about policies, religions, etc. They have massive implications depending on which victory condition you're going for.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

On Terra Firma posted:

Faith is incredibly important, just like religion is, because the bonuses you get by being first to found a religion, or picking the right perks for your religion to strengthen your specific position are huge. Tourism can be invaluable late game by causing other cultures to go unhappy when you get to your ideology.

On higher difficulties, you will often fail to found your own religion, and even if you do it'll soon get overwhelmed by endless missionary spam from the AI civs. Especially since you're almost always best-off saving your faith points to buy Great Scientists in the late game.

And you will never, ever, make AI civs go unhappy from tourism pressure because they have functionally unlimited happiness.

Religion could have been good mechanically in Civ5, but the fact that you so rarely get to actually play with it unless you stick to lower difficulties is aggravating.

On Terra Firma
Feb 12, 2008

On higher difficulties, you will often fail to found your own religion, and even if you do it'll soon get overwhelmed by endless missionary spam from the AI civs. Especially since you're almost always best-off saving your faith points to buy Great Scientists in the late game.

And you will never, ever, make AI civs go unhappy from tourism pressure because they have functionally unlimited happiness.

Religion could have been good mechanically in Civ5, but the fact that you so rarely get to actually play with it unless you stick to lower difficulties is aggravating.

True. I guess I'm looking at it from the perspective of multiplayer and not just vs AI.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
Religion is good for some free culture and great people. You can protect your cities by simply stationing inquisitors in them. Some civs like Ethiopia are very well set up to work good in higher difficulties with the +2 faith monuments they get. And they also get the +20% combat bonus fighting larger civs which owns bones.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Anybody else always pick Judaism as Egypt ?

PoizenJam
Dec 2, 2006

Damn!!!
It's PoizenJam!!!
On emperor or below, it's extremely rare that I don't manage to secure a religion. On Immortal and Deity its a crapshoot though so I rarely even bother.

I don't really play the latter two difficulties much if at all though. In fact, after sinking ridiculous amounts of hours into single and multiplayer, I've come to realize even emperor hampers a lot of the fun of the game. The difficulty penalties/bonuses suck and essentially strip many of the game features from consideration when you play higher than prince/king. Happiness is basically ignorable by the AI on Emperor+.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Byzantine posted:

I pretty much always pick Judaism anyhow, since it has no AI representation and is a reliable pick.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Byzantine posted:

I always take it as Ethiopia.

• Locked thread