Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Osama Dozen-Dongs
Nov 29, 2014

FreudianSlippers posted:

Wait, wasn't Gaulish a Celtic language, meaning that it was about as closely related to Latin as German is to Hindi/Urdu?

Not really, they share every major isogloss, while Germanic-Indic share none.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Omnomnomnivore
Nov 14, 2010

I'm swiftly moving toward a solution which pleases nobody! YEAGGH!

glynnenstein posted:

For a very accessible experience, The History of English podcast is very good. Episode 40 discusses the first batch of words that entered english from latin prior to the Norman invasion and it's really a very small list and a lot are associated with the church. The later Norman infusion is much larger and broader. It's interesting to see how words differ in pronunciation and meaning when they entered from the same root, but first from latin and later from french.

http://historyofenglishpodcast.com/2014/03/20/episode-40-learning-latin-and-latin-learning/

Seconded. This podcast is really good. Second favorite history podcast after Mike Duncan's stuff. It's how I learned that "lord" originally meant "guardian of the bread".

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Strategic Tea posted:

Ultimately the whole west was a sideshow in a lot of respects. The east had the real population centres and cultural powerhouses, based in cities that were old and powerful when Rome was still a hill fort.

While it's true that the east had the majority of the population and major cultural centers, I don't think it's true that the west was a sideshow. The mere fact that the empire was eventually divided in half implies that the Romans themselves thought of the East and West as being in some way equivalent. It contained Rome itself, after all, and also economically important regions like the African farmlands, Iberian and Britannic mines, and Italian and Gallic wine country.

Blue Star
Feb 18, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

skasion posted:

While it's true that the east had the majority of the population and major cultural centers, I don't think it's true that the west was a sideshow. The mere fact that the empire was eventually divided in half implies that the Romans themselves thought of the East and West as being in some way equivalent. It contained Rome itself, after all, and also economically important regions like the African farmlands, Iberian and Britannic mines, and Italian and Gallic wine country.

Wasn't the senior emperor in the East, though? There were two halves but the east was more important.

Friar John
Aug 3, 2007

Saint Francis be my speed! how oft to-night
Have my old feet stumbled at graves!

Blue Star posted:

Wasn't the senior emperor in the East, though? There were two halves but the east was more important.
Under Diocletian's Tetrarchy the two Augusti were nominally equal, Diocletian taking the East because of more severe Persian problems he had to deal with personally. When the Empire was formally divided under Theodosius' sons, there was still legal continuity between the halves - laws passed in one half were considered valid over the entire Empire.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Blue Star posted:

Sometimes, but not always. Valentinian and his family usually had the senior in the west and the junior in the east. "Senior" and "junior" emperors aren't really a very meaningful concept after Theodosius anyway, it's really just under the tetrarchy that the concept was binding and from Constantine to Theodosius it lost force more or less entirely.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?
If the East had all the big cities, then why do some people reference "the manpower of the West"? Perhaps a better question: why in the late Republic do the Western province-holders almost always defeat the Eastern province-holders?

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Ynglaur posted:

If the East had all the big cities, then why do some people reference "the manpower of the West"? Perhaps a better question: why in the late Republic do the Western province-holders almost always defeat the Eastern province-holders?

Late Republic would still have had a lot of Romans and Italians in the legions, right? I bet that would make a big difference.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Ynglaur posted:

Who's referencing the manpower of the west? Arguments about the relative manpowers of the various provinces of the late empire seem really unlikely to be well founded to me, given that we have no reliable sources whatsoever which even tell us how big the whole Roman army was at that time. The closest we have is the Notitia Dignitatum but that's full of all kinds of problems and can't possibly be used to justify claims about how many men were fighting for whoever -- at best it can tell us how many military units in theory existed.

The second is a better question but not really related, there's a gigantic difference between the Roman Empire of the civil wars and the Roman Empire of the dominate. The victors in the republican civil wars were those who took and held control of Rome, because that was the source of legitimacy for their government and the basis for the Italian hegemony which supplied most of their manpower. It's not until a much later date that political and military power become decentralized and Rome itself loses its relevance as a source of power.

Jaramin
Oct 20, 2010

Strategic Tea posted:

Ultimately the whole west was a sideshow in a lot of respects. The east had the real population centres and cultural powerhouses, based in cities that were old and powerful when Rome was still a hill fort.

This isn't really true until about Constantine's time unless your definition of "the East" is really just "Egypt."

OctaviusBeaver
Apr 30, 2009

Say what now?
Constantine managed to win his civil war from the western empire. If the west was a complete backwater then surely the eastern Augustus could have mustered enough men and money to win. Theodosius was the eastern Augustus and he won, but he also had a bunch of Goths on his side. It seems like the two halves were fairly evenly matched from a military perspective.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

You're right side sideshow was way too strong a word for what I wanted to say

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

Blue Star posted:

The senior Emperor was definitely in the East, and this was for good reason. I think the characterization of the West as a "sideshow" is absolutely correct, if the West is considered to be Gaul, the Iberian provinces, Germania, and Britain. Italy muddies things up a bit. The East was where the people and the money were from Augustus onward. It's also where Roman religion and culture increasingly came from throughout the imperial period. Rome's greatest enemies, the Parthians and Sassanids, threatened the East. The East was where stuff happened.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
Things happened to the West, things happened in the East. There are definitely exceptions to this sweeping generalization that I'm covering several hundred years with, but I believe it's the overall trend.

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

Bitter Mushroom posted:

Crassus really strikes me as the Donald Trump of his day.
Nonsense. Crassus was only morally bankrupt.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

John Big Booty posted:

Nonsense. Crassus was only morally bankrupt.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

What are some good podcasts or audio books about Hellenistic Greece or ancient history in general? I'm about to finish The History of Rome and looking for something else to listen to during my morning commute.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

LLSix posted:

What are some good podcasts or audio books about Hellenistic Greece or ancient history in general? I'm about to finish The History of Rome and looking for something else to listen to during my morning commute.

I fell really far behind on it myself after he took a long break, but the History of Byzantium follows up directly after where the History of Rome finished if that fits within the timeframe you're looking for.

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

One of the more interesting assassinations of Roman Emperors was that of Leo V the Armenian

Wikipedia posted:

When Leo jailed Michael for suspicion of conspiracy, the latter organized the assassination of the Emperor in the palace chapel of St. Stephen on Christmas, 820. Leo was attending the matins service when a group of assassins disguised as monks suddenly threw off their robes and drew their weapons. In the dim light they mistook the officiating priest for the Emperor and the confusion allowed Leo to snatch a heavy cross from the altar and defend himself. He called for his guards, but the conspirators had barred the doors and within a few moments a sword stroke had severed his arm, and he fell before the communion-table, where his body was hewed in pieces.

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014
Hello. Yep, I still think Atlantis is Bolivia, yep, I'm still a giant idiot, yep, I'm still a huge racist. Some things never change!
http://worldnewsdailyreport.com/mongolia-archaeologists-unearth-tomb-of-genghis-khan/

quote:

Öndörkhaan| Construction workers employed in road building near the Onon River in the Khentii province of Mongolia, have discovered a mass grave containing the remains of many dozens of human corpses lying upon a large rudimentary stone structure. Forensic experts and archaeologists were called on the site, which was revealed to be a Mongolian royal tomb from the 13th century that the scientists believe to be Genghis Khan’s.

Nothing official yet, but its possible it has finally been found.
It will be interesting to watch the developments on this story.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Something about the tomb of Genghis Khan, in the Antiquity thread? Uhh, ok I guess...

World News Daily Report, seems legit.

<Checks poster's user name>

Oh.

Morzhovyye
Mar 2, 2013

Hitler was a woman and Judas was a marijuana addict. Checks out with me.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Let's discuss why the tomb someone found five minutes ago is always of a famous historical figure.

People in history died and when they died someone would usually bury them someplace. Some of these people would be super famous and still well known names today.

Archaeologists are chronically underfunded, and always looking for ways to get more money for their expeditions. Governments are bad at funding archaeology. However, people get excited about names they've heard, like Genghis Khan, and that excitement often translates into money for the archaeologists.

Archaeologists are not dumb and really want that money so they can keep working. Many, even respectable, legitimate archaeologists, will therefore suggest that their newest find is connected to someone famous. They know that this will get them money, and people don't remember if they turn out to be wrong. And the expedition was funded and good work done, so no harm done.

And sometimes it turns out that the discovery really is the tomb of famous guy, and now you get to be Famous Archaeologist.

TheLawinator
Apr 13, 2012

Competence on the battlefield is a myth. The side which screws up next to last wins, it's as simple as that.

Only 12 horses, can't be him.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Personally I still hold out hope that one day they'll find Howard Carter's tomb, hopefully still intact :shobon:

Sulla Faex
May 14, 2010

No man ever did me so much good, or enemy so much harm, but I repaid him with ENDLESS SHITPOSTING
There's an extract I'm struggling and failing to remember. I think it was Julius Caesar in a winter break while he was planning the invasion of Gaul or Britain, and he's in the countryside with someone's wife (maybe even his own!), and it's either a letter or a shared anecdote by an ancient historian basically saying that he was so happy and considering giving up the military life and just retiring to the countryside to live out a peaceful life with his family... Obviously then he leaves and goes to plan the campaign. Does anybody know what I'm talking about? It's such a vague memory I really have had no luck finding it in google, there are so many sources I could have read it in that I'm hoping one of you cottons on to what I'm referring to. I can't even be sure it's Caesar, it could be Pompey (and sounds more like his character, hubby that he was).

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Sulla-Marius 88 posted:

There's an extract I'm struggling and failing to remember. I think it was Julius Caesar in a winter break while he was planning the invasion of Gaul or Britain, and he's in the countryside with someone's wife (maybe even his own!), and it's either a letter or a shared anecdote by an ancient historian basically saying that he was so happy and considering giving up the military life and just retiring to the countryside to live out a peaceful life with his family... Obviously then he leaves and goes to plan the campaign. Does anybody know what I'm talking about? It's such a vague memory I really have had no luck finding it in google, there are so many sources I could have read it in that I'm hoping one of you cottons on to what I'm referring to. I can't even be sure it's Caesar, it could be Pompey (and sounds more like his character, hubby that he was).

Sounds like one of the plot points from Rome, season 1. Don't know where they pulled it from, though.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I doubt it's what you're thinking of but I do wonder if she based it on the same extract - there is a section in one of Colleen McCullough's books where she writes about Caesar having taken a Gaulish wife and even having a son with him, and his time with them being one of the few moments of relaxation/peace/happiness he has between his efforts to subdue Gaul and his long term plans for complete power in Rome.

Of course that section ends with the wife being killed and the son kidnapped in the aftermath of Alesia by one of the surviving Gaulish ringleaders as a final "gently caress you" to Caesar, because McCullough was writing historical fiction so she went crazy with the speculation when she could get away with it.... which made for ripping good yarns!

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?
Caesar: every woman's husband, and every man's wife.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Ynglaur posted:

Caesar: every woman's husband, and every man's wife.

Caesar: How amusing that song is, my fellow soldierscitizens :mad:

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Sulla-Marius 88 posted:

Sounds more like Cincinnatus that Caesar.

Sulla Faex
May 14, 2010

No man ever did me so much good, or enemy so much harm, but I repaid him with ENDLESS SHITPOSTING
Damnit, I was worried I had invented it or confused it with a non historic source. It has been years since I've read any primary/secondary source Rome stuff, and longer still since I've watched the tv show, so I can't say for sure. I was hoping someone would be able to pop up and say "oh yeah that's Livy book blah blah" but it's so tenuous I'll just purge it from my memory banks as bad data. Thanks anyway!

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

Sulla-Marius 88 posted:

This sounds like Caesar retiring to his estate with Cleopatra in the Asterix books.

9-Volt Assault
Jan 27, 2007

Beter twee tetten in de hand dan tien op de vlucht.
In cool and good news: the Vatican digitised a 1600 year old edition of Virgil’s Aeneid. , which can be seen here.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Three things:

1. This is loving awesome.
2. WHEN did people realize punctuation and spaces between words was a good thing? :sweatdrop:
3. This is loving awesome.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Jerusalem posted:

2. WHEN did people realize punctuation and spaces between words was a good thing? :sweatdrop:

Medieval Times. For a while, the Greeks actually were so concerned with keeping the strings of sounds together that they wrote without punctuation or spaces and also boustrephedon (lines in alternating directions):

It didn't take root in Latin, though (whew).

Otteration
Jan 4, 2014

I CAN'T SAY PRESIDENT DONALD JOHN TRUMP'S NAME BECAUSE HE'S LIKE THAT GUY FROM HARRY POTTER AND I'M AFRAID I'LL SUMMON HIM. DONALD JOHN TRUMP. YOUR FAVORITE PRESIDENT.
OUR 47TH PRESIDENT AFTER THE ONE WHO SHOWERS WITH HIS DAUGHTER DIES
Grimey Drawer

Sulla-Marius 88 posted:

Gladiator?

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Sulla-Marius 88 posted:

Damnit, I was worried I had invented it or confused it with a non historic source. It has been years since I've read any primary/secondary source Rome stuff, and longer still since I've watched the tv show, so I can't say for sure.
I enjoyed the show, but Dramatic License was taken just about as far as it could without giving Cicero a pair of tits.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

While I'm not going to argue for the strict historical accuracy of an HBO show, Rome does tell a story about a series of events that actually happened, putting them in more or less the right order and context and involving most of the people who were actually involved in them. It's about as grounded in history as the Liz Taylor Cleopatra, rather than being whole cloth fiction like Gladiator.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Rome was historically plausible even if it wasn't accurate.