Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

SpaceDrake posted:

Bill's years shouldn't be forgotten (how quickly we forget it was a homegrown right wing terrorist who was the greatest single murderer America had known prior to 2001) but everything around them is so monumental that it's easy to gloss them over.
H.H. Holmes has arguably a higher body count, but we'll never know.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

SpaceDrake posted:

Oh, as someone who grew up and reached full political awareness during the full Bill tenure (and grew up in a Bill-voting household), believe me, I largely agree with that assessment. It's just that there are still events that occurred during the Bill presidency that I wish hadn't been so wholly overshadowed by the World Trade Center attacks and America's newfound unending hatred of Muslims and people of Arabian descent.
For a while there, the greatest threats to our future were a guy that sang in a glamcore band dressing kind of like a woman, pixelated gore, rappers, and disaffected nerdlings in trenchcoats.

Then the existential threats got a little more real.

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

nutranurse posted:

He might be out of touch with the establishment elements of the GOP, but Trump really is speaking to the sordid base and white america as a whole.
He also has alienated a lot of people among the 'independents' and GOP in general. Don't mistake Trump's rabid supporters for the entirety of his current polling numbers.
There's really no point in reaching at the white nationalist types. You only need to pull a small portion or demoralize it in order to change the election though.

acejackson42
Mar 27, 2005

You didn't say what I think you said...

8-Bit Scholar posted:

Hey how about that drone program though

Hey how's Chelsea Manning doing

Hey Obama did you make them build her gender neutral bathrooms too or does she just use the same bucket

Man, I didn't think I was going to find the source of that constantly crying baby and as it turns out it was right under my nose the whole time if I just opened my eyes -- it wasn't crying, it was incessantly whining.

It was 8-Bit Scholar the whole time. I guess I'd have seen it quicker had I been looking for an 'adult' but no one expects an adult to be making those kinds of noises. Rather surprising to say the least.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

nutranurse posted:

He might be out of touch with the establishment elements of the GOP, but Trump really is speaking to the sordid base and white america as a whole.

agreed, but this was more or less giving permission to the 15-20% of gop voters who aren't in that part of america to reject him

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

A Winner is Jew posted:

No, it's you that's misogynistic.

Society is about a group of people coming together for a common purpose... hopefully that purpose in November is making GBS threads all over misogynistic asshats.

what since when

Complaint Compilation
Apr 8, 2016

:sax:

acejackson42 posted:

Man, I didn't think I was going to find the source of that constantly crying baby and as it turns out it was right under my nose the whole time if I just opened my eyes -- it wasn't crying, it was incessantly whining.

It was 8-Bit Scholar the whole time. I guess I'd have seen it quicker had I been looking for an 'adult' but no one expects an adult to be making those kinds of noises. Rather surprising to say the least.

:comisar:
E:aw damnit is that smiley gone?

Complaint Compilation fucked around with this message at 06:03 on Jul 28, 2016

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

8-Bit Scholar posted:

what since when

Since the loving Neolithic era you incompetent boob

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

PoorMoralCompass posted:

When will his party learn that? Or will they bend?
It's disingenuous to call it that even, it's like weapons-grade stockholm syndrome.
:tinfoil:

Trump represents the culmination of their entire strategy. He's the belligerent billionaire riding high on insulting everyone who disagrees with him, ignoring all facts in exchange for "truthy" slogans, and attacking everything besides old white men. He's managed to get to the point where they simply cannot oppose him remotely effectively because he appeals to the gullible, ignorant, bigoted base they worked so hard to use for power. If they alienate that group, even if it is shrinking all the time, they can kiss almost all their support goodbye. They lost their rubes to a better conman and have no idea how to respond to the situation beyond trying to keep their grip on Congress after he fails.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

8-Bit Scholar posted:

Jerk detected! This user is on your ignore list, click to view post anyway

What?

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Watching Erik, Son of Erik tweet 'Oh poo poo, we really can't win this, can we' made my night.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

acejackson42 posted:

poo poo dog you've been cooking that up all night man i'm glad I could post here before bed time so you could bust open that oven door and let us all get a whiff of that sweet burn

smells delicious, baked to perfection

Not unlike the victims of Obama's drone strikes

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

I can't avoid filling a game with awful memes, even if I want to. It's in my bones...!

PoorMoralCompass posted:

:comisar:
E:aw damnit is that smiley gone?

:commissar:

two Ms, two Ses.

Complaint Compilation
Apr 8, 2016

:sax:
I swear I tried that first, I know how to spell!
:sad smilie:

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

SpaceDrake posted:

Oh, as someone who grew up and reached full political awareness during the full Bill tenure (and grew up in a Bill-voting household), believe me, I largely agree with that assessment. It's just that there are still events that occurred during the Bill presidency that I wish hadn't been so wholly overshadowed by the World Trade Center attacks and America's newfound unending hatred of Muslims and people of Arabian descent.

I mean, I can't be the only one who remembers those few years when everyone was rightly concerned that the greatest terrorist threat to our country was growing in our own backyards, and which proved to be true at the cost of 168 lives, including a couple dozen kids. We've largely ignored that lesson since and hundreds have died to largely gun-related terrorism as a result.

ehhhh, for every OKC bombing you had Al Qaeda blowing up embassies in Kenya. The two pretty well balanced each other out.

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"
Seems awkward but lovable dad is the meme going for Kaine

Honestly if that's the portrayal of Kaine on SNL and other skits that'll help give favorable numbers. As that's totally relatable to people, especially dads.

His Florida speech was better, even though it was much of the same content. But it seems most people thought he came across as likable and decent. Which definitely helps Hillary with one of her weaknesses

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

greatn posted:

Pictures: Someone's grandma, two presidents

:captainpop:

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

PoorMoralCompass posted:

Wouldn't he be a nobody if he didn't have Bill Clinton to bitch about in the first place?

Not sure, I'm not nearly old enough to know what Talk Radio's situation was in the late 80s but AFAIK Rush basically managed to climb on top of the right wing radio shitpile after the Fairness Doctrine was killed and made one-sided propaganda like his completely ok.

Quorum posted:

Yeah, Bloomberg's speech was surprisingly decent, probably because he basically unloaded on Donald Trump from the point of view of an Actual Billionaire, which was the point probably. He was still a poo poo but at least he was aimed the right way I suppose.

The best part of Bloomberg's speech is the dead silence from Trump because there's not much, if anything, Trump could hit him on that Bloomberg couldn't demolish him in return. Bloomberg's got some truly lovely beliefs but having him attack Trump with the nation watching was a pretty smart move overall.

SpaceDrake posted:

:commissar:

two Ms, two Ses.

Lets not forget its less used sibling :smugissar:

theblackw0lf posted:

Honestly if that's the portrayal of Kaine on SNL and other skits that'll help give favorable numbers. As that's totally relatable to people, especially dads.

His Florida speech was better, even though it was much of the same content. But it seems most people thought he came across as likable and decent. Which definitely helps Hillary with one of her weaknesses

His speech made him come across as the goofy "I'm so proud of my kids LOOK AT THEIR CUTE BABY PICTURES" dad that people crack jokes about but at the same time you remember he's the first to show up and lend a hand when that tree got knocked down in a storm last summer so deep down you like them as a person.

Meanwhile Pence is the rear end in a top hat who keeps putting those Jesus Is The Lord pamphlets on everyone's car even when the HoA puts out a notice for people to stop doing that.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

theblackw0lf posted:

I honestly think Hillary should take these pictures like the one I posted above, which was in a gallery with other pictures of her at her wedding, with baby Chelsea, at Disney world wearing a Donald hat, and spread them all the gently caress over he Internet. Mainly because it is a stark reminder that "Wow, this is a real human being with real life goals and dreams and accomplishments" and like Bill Clintons speech you just can't square it with the Republican Party version of her... Or the bern or bust version for that matter.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

greatn posted:

I honestly think Hillary should take these pictures like the one I posted above, which was in a gallery with other pictures of her at her wedding, with baby Chelsea, at Disney world wearing a Donald hat, and spread them all the gently caress over he Internet. Mainly because it is a stark reminder that "Wow, this is a real human being with real life goals and dreams and accomplishments" and like Bill Clintons speech you just can't square it with the Republican Party version of her... Or the bern or bust version for that matter.

It's fine, everything is fine now

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Evil Fluffy posted:

His speech made him come across as the goofy "I'm so proud of my kids LOOK AT THEIR CUTE BABY PICTURES" dad that people crack jokes about but at the same time you remember he's the first to show up and lend a hand when that tree got knocked down in a storm last summer so deep down you like them as a person.

You see, he appeared to be something, so he must really be that thing. I am easily entertained by flashing lights and loud noises.

greatn posted:

Once she's finished scrubbing the Internet of all negative press, I'm certain she'll start fabricating details of actual human lives, to complete the facade.

Zoph
Sep 12, 2005

8-Bit Scholar posted:

You see, he appeared to be something, so he must really be that thing. I am easily entertained by flashing lights and loud noises.

Once she's finished scrubbing the Internet of all negative press, I'm certain she'll start fabricating details of actual human lives, to complete the facade.

I recognize this is hard to believe but, amazingly, it takes an order of magnitude greater energy and effort for a human being to pretend to be something they aren't than it takes to be themselves.

edit: in addition to this, other human beings are also actually pretty good at identifying authentic and inauthentic performances.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

8BS has been making 21.35 posts per day since January. Signal to noise ratio is not good.

acejackson42
Mar 27, 2005

I don't think any aspect of the Democratic Party actually scares The Donald. He knows he can bullshit and lie and poo poo on every single thing attached to D and his supporters will eat it up.

But Bloomberg has to terrify him. A literal self-made man with as much or more money than him willing and able to stump for Hillary on business and finance acumen. This dude knows what Trump is all about and how he works because he literally runs in the exact same circles. So a steady, prolonged attack from Bloomberg on business and finance is going to mess his poo poo up.

*Bloomberg speaks*
*Trump angrily grabs Yellow Pages directory*
*Looks up 'Ninja Assassins*

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

acejackson42 posted:

I don't think any aspect of the Democratic Party actually scares The Donald. He knows he can bullshit and lie and poo poo on every single thing attached to D and his supporters will eat it up.

But Bloomberg has to terrify him. A literal self-made man with as much or more money than him willing and able to stump for Hillary on business and finance acumen. This dude knows what Trump is all about and how he works because he literally runs in the exact same circles. So a steady, prolonged attack from Bloomberg on business and finance is going to mess his poo poo up.

*Bloomberg speaks*

Trump's mind is too placid to feel terror. He only has the following emotions:

1) Smug contentment
2) Annoyance
3) Intent to commit spousal rape

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

greatn posted:

Pictures: Someone's grandma, two presidents

I still can't get over how goddamn pretty Hillary was. gently caress Bill for cheating her, you dick. She was gorgeous. :allears:

Edit: She was also his meal ticket, too. Man Bill is like the worst husband. I can't stay mad at him for it because he's Bill, but still, gently caress Bill for being a bad husband to Hillary, she owns.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Lightning Knight posted:

I still can't get over how goddamn pretty Hillary was. gently caress Bill for cheating her, you dick. She was gorgeous. :allears:

Edit: She was also his meal ticket, too. Man Bill is like the worst husband. I can't stay mad at him for it because he's Bill, but still, gently caress Bill for being a bad husband to Hillary, she owns.

Bill is kind of a total piece of poo poo and also the greatest, yeah :sigh:

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Zophar posted:

I recognize this is hard to believe but, amazingly, it takes an order of magnitude greater energy and effort for a human being to pretend to be something they aren't than it takes to be themselves.

edit: in addition to this, other human beings are also actually pretty good at identifying authentic and inauthentic performances.

Stop responding to them and feeding their ego you goddamn assholes.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Douchebags of all stripes will do their best to somehow convince you that it's Hillary's fault she got cheated on.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Part of me thinks that Bill and Hillary have a secret open marriage because they realized that's what would be necessary to survive a political marriage like that. That of I've watched too much House of Cards.

Edmund Sparkler
Jul 4, 2003
For twelve years, you have been asking: Who is John Galt? This is John Galt speaking. I am the man who loves his life. I am the man who does not sacrifice his love or his values. I am the man who has deprived you of victims and thus has destroyed your world, and if you wish to know why you are peris

seiferguy posted:

Part of me thinks that Bill and Hillary have a secret open marriage because they realized that's what would be necessary to survive a political marriage like that. That of I've watched too much House of Cards.

I think it maybe didn't start out that way but maybe it became that at a later point.

It infuriates me to no end that conservatives act like people who have been married and divorced several times are morally superior to a couple who have been married 40 years and have stuck it out and made it work, whatever their reasons may be.

acejackson42
Mar 27, 2005

Evil Fluffy posted:

Stop responding to them and feeding their ego you goddamn assholes.

I advocate a constant and continuous run of 'where the heck is that crying baby coming from' because guys like him are the literal embodiment of a petulant child with the pouting lower lip, hard-crossed arms and as-hard-as-possible furrowed brow because I DIDN'T GWET MY OWN WAY.

Just envision that picture before you respond to anything he posts. The results will be spectacular.

Moatman
Mar 21, 2014

Because the goof is all mine.

acejackson42 posted:

I advocate a constant and continuous run of 'where the heck is that crying baby coming from' because guys like him are the literal embodiment of a petulant child with the pouting lower lip, hard-crossed arms and as-hard-as-possible furrowed brow because I DIDN'T GWET MY OWN WAY.

Just envision that picture before you respond to anything he posts. The results will be spectacular.

See I thought you were insane or I was deaf when you started up with that

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

https://twitter.com/nick_kapur/status/758140327240818688

If this shirt doesn't go back into production we loving deserve Trump.

acejackson42
Mar 27, 2005

FIRST TIME posted:

It infuriates me to no end that conservatives act like people who have been married and divorced several times are morally superior to a couple who have been married 40 years and have stuck it out and made it work, whatever their reasons may be.

I imagine that's one of the major reasons the GOP act like this -- they threw absolutely everything they had against the Clintons and it failed to even dent them. Each and every one of of the GOPers know that if they did the same things, it would be insta-divorce. And yet the Clintons are still together.

I can't imagine how much that would have to suck. Like, it must be almost trancedental amounts of suck.

acejackson42
Mar 27, 2005

Moatman posted:

See I thought you were insane or I was deaf when you started up with that

:)

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

acejackson42 posted:

*Bloomberg speaks*

Bloomberg has like 4x the net worth than even Trump's loftiest assessments. It's not even close

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

I've been listening to the Slate Political Gabfest for years and still can't figure out what the poo poo Plotz sees in his man crush Michael Bloomberg. He's a First Amendment absolutist but is fine with Mr. Deport The Undesirables Into The East River somehow? I don't get it at all, but M-Bloom has a fanboy out there in DC apparently.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

acejackson42 posted:

*Bloomberg speaks*

Yeah, as much as I loving hate the ever goddamn loving poo poo out of Bloomberg and don't think he should have been given a convention spot.

He's useful as a means to attack trump on Financial things in ways that someone running only on the left can't.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Epic High Five posted:

Bloomberg has like 4x the net worth than even Trump's loftiest assessments. It's not even close

And he didn't get started with a million dollar check from his dad.

• Locked thread