Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Why cookie Rocket posted:

Well here's the thing though. Let's just assume that you're right and new is better etc etc. Why does McCoy react like he's seeing a sasquatch when he sees Spock laugh in Beyond? Hey, a super emotional guy had yet another emotional outburst, whatever. Urban played it much more like he was seeing Nimoy's Spock crack up-- like he was seeing something out of character. So is Quinto loving up his characterization or is Urban? Before you answer, keep in mind that Urban is completely flawless in these movies.

NuSpock has had emotional outbursts after 1) watching his mother fall to her death as his home planet is destroyed, 2) after his captain/friend dies saving the ship, and 3) after eulogizing his mentor and future self as he's bleeding to death on a deserted planet after his ship is destroyed. I don't think any of that is out of character. For that last one, McCoy even says that it's a sign Spock is getting delirious from his injuries.

Spock acted like a passive-aggressive smartass for much of TOS. The sagely, stoic Spock that everyone remembers is a TOS movie invention.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Allen_Aldo
Jul 8, 2013
Was there ever a more acid fuled scene in trek than the wormhole bit from TMP?

I mean there can't be, right?

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Allen_Aldo posted:

Was there ever a more acid fuled scene in trek than the wormhole bit from TMP?

I mean there can't be, right?

Star Trek IV time travel.

Allen_Aldo
Jul 8, 2013

MikeJF posted:

Oh poo poo, you're right.

Whoa.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

MikeJF posted:

Not really. Over the course of a few thousand years, maybe.

A blink of the eye on the cosmic scale!

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

Well here's the thing though. Let's just assume that you're right and new is better etc etc. Why does McCoy react like he's seeing a sasquatch when he sees Spock laugh in Beyond? Hey, a super emotional guy had yet another emotional outburst, whatever. Urban played it much more like he was seeing Nimoy's Spock crack up-- like he was seeing something out of character. So is Quinto loving up his characterization or is Urban? Before you answer, keep in mind that Urban is completely flawless in these movies.

Big Mean Jerk posted:

NuSpock has had emotional outbursts after 1) watching his mother fall to her death as his home planet is destroyed, 2) after his captain/friend dies saving the ship, and 3) after eulogizing his mentor and future self as he's bleeding to death on a deserted planet after his ship is destroyed. I don't think any of that is out of character. For that last one, McCoy even says that it's a sign Spock is getting delirious from his injuries.

It is literally the first time we've seen this iteration of Spock, well, LAUGH.

Even if he has been an emotion case all three movies, he's usually been a super serious one.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Baronjutter posted:

What would that philosophy be be the way? The idea that it's ok for some people to have massive biological advantages over others so long as it's "natural" for their race, but trying to do it on purpose is playing god and horrible.

Why can Vulcans have super strength but humans can't? Why can tons of races of minor to major psychic powers but humans can't? And if all this technology does exist and is fairly easy to do why isn't every race that doesn't have the federation's hang-ups on engineering not turning them into super people. Do you really think the romulans would scoff at turning their race or at least their elite into genetic supermen?
This may be a bit old but I want to come back to this. I think the ideology here isn't that people can't be better, it's that you're not going to make better people by treating them like objects. It is a sort of respect of the individual person, as opposed to just splicing people up with every possible super power so they can... what? Sure, yes, it would be handy to be tough and strong and not get much hangovers, but their medical science can handle most problems that come up, Starfleet is like the Medic from TF2.

In the case of Bashir the issue is also compounded by the fact that his parents did it to him as a small child when he was incapable of meaningful consent, and while their motivation was affection, it was like the people who would rather their child die of measles than (falsely) suffer a risk of autism - they didn't want a "broken" child. Bashir was entirely justified in being deeply displeased with them, I'd say.

I do think that this stands out because it is a place where Star Trek, broadly speaking, has an ideological perspective which is against the thrust of the modern world, where outside of certain boundaries people are in large part defined by how well they work as objects. How productive are you, how much code can you crush, how much value do you add. Does this perspective have utility? Sure. But eventually, where does that utility go? Would Jules Bashir have been an unhappy person? Julian Bashir doesn't know and never will, because his parents killed Jules Bashir for being slow. It stands out in the context of the Federation, I think, because it is an atypical situation - their turbo-space-Obamacare would have healed or ameliorated genuine handicaps and if Jules Bashir just didn't have as much horsepower under the hood as some, well that's no awful thing, is it? In the modern world Jules Bashir's prospects would be much bleaker.

As for the question of other people upgrading themselves, the Ferengi seem reasonably content the way they are; the Romulans have presumably already done some poo poo to themselves. The Klingons, of course, had their own problems with genetic modification. But there is of course a very successful, very productive, very efficient culture portrayed in the Treks who do absorb everyone into themselves...

As for the prospect of becoming a superman, people just don't seem to actually become all that super-powered when they get spliced up. Kirk beats Khan in a fist fight, and arguably outsmarts him (at least in Space Seed). Even the Jem'Hadar are not completely insuperable individually.

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

I'm your friend and I'm not going to just stand by and let you do this!

MikeJF posted:

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x2j3ff_star-trek-le-rogertroutman_creation

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

MikeJF posted:

Yeah. Plus, it's presumably a pretty small black hole. Which wouldn't actually have any effect even if it was relatively close to Earth. It'd just act like an extra planet. But black. And hole-ish.

Small black holes evaporate quickly anyway.

A b hole small enough to evaporate on a minutes time scale would have all the gravity of a pebble.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Urban needs to get more credit for completely falling into the Bones role from minute one of his first appearance in ST09. Like it's scary how close he is to DeForrest Kelley.

Why cookie Rocket
Dec 2, 2003

Lemme tell ya 'bout your blood bamboo kid.
It ain't Coca-Cola, it's rice.

FlamingLiberal posted:

Urban needs to get more credit for completely falling into the Bones role from minute one of his first appearance in ST09. Like it's scary how close he is to DeForrest Kelley.

"Well that's just typical" is one of the best McCoy jokes in a Star Trek movie, and it's well-delivered by Urban, which by itself makes Beyond the best of the reboot movies.

CharlieWhiskey
Aug 18, 2005

everything, all the time

this is the world

I loving love that video. I wish it was feature length.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

"Well that's just typical" is one of the best McCoy jokes in a Star Trek movie, and it's well-delivered by Urban, which by itself makes Beyond the best of the reboot movies.

This joke is so good that I laughed at it both during the pointless Beyond ad that played in the theatre just before the movie, and 40 minutes (or whatever) later during the movie itself.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Urban was the only part of the new trek movies I enjoyed. His bones is spot on and I just in general love the guy.

Why cookie Rocket
Dec 2, 2003

Ok enough foreplay let's loving do this you motherfuckers. BEST MCCOY JOKE EVER, GO GO GO GO!!!!!

"This is his revenge for all those arguments I won" will always be my number one because it's hilarious but also plays well on the history of his relationship with Spock.

"What is it with you, anyway" is in the number two spot because it's very very understated and dry but still makes me giggle like an idiot every single time.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

McCoy: You mean I have to die to discuss your insights on death?
Spock: Forgive me, Doctor. I am receiving a number of distress calls.
McCoy: I don't doubt it.

primaltrash
Feb 11, 2008

(Thought-ful Croak)
"I'd give real money if he'd shut up."

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

armoredgorilla posted:

"I'd give real money if he'd shut up."

I love that entire sequence. Nimoy and Kelley were so good together.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
"That didn't sound at all like Spock, Jim."
"No it- ...I thought you said you might like him if he mellowed a little."
"I didn't say that!"
"You said that."
"Not exactly..."

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Ok enough foreplay let's loving do this you motherfuckers. BEST MCCOY JOKE EVER, GO GO GO GO!!!!!

"Jim, you don't ask the Almighty for his ID!"

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

FlamingLiberal posted:

I was sold on him the minute he said his Bones line from ST09. Gets across exactly why he's so cantankerous and snarky.

Plus the dude hates his ex wife so much he's out in deep space to get away from her.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Bones has a bunch of great lines in TUC.

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

I love the whole "possessed Bones" in the bar sequence in III.

;-* "What's your poison doc?"
:confused: :raise: "To expect one to order poison in a bar is... not logical."

"What's the logic in offering me a ride home, you idiot? If I wanted a ride home would I be trying to charter a space flight?

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
There's no active thread for Babylon 5, but I guess this thread should have a lot of overlap. Garibaldi actor and lovely political view haver Jerry Doyle has died. There's not going to be any of them left in 10 years at this rate :smith:

Tyson Tomko
May 8, 2005

The Problem Solver.
"Got any more of that secret ingredient?"

(it was directed at McCoy anyway)

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Tsaedje posted:

There's no active thread for Babylon 5, but I guess this thread should have a lot of overlap. Garibaldi actor and lovely political view haver Jerry Doyle has died. There's not going to be any of them left in 10 years at this rate :smith:
This is a safe harbor for Babylon 5 chat until there gets to be so much of it that y'all can sustain your own new thread. Infinite Diversity in Infinite Spaceshows.

That's awful though. I never got much into B5 but I hear the cast were all like some kind of rock star-curse-having assembly. But maybe I just have had my perspective colored by people who were really into B5.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Well, after this thread constantly saying it was ok and the Red Letter Media guys both saying it's ok, I might give this new Trek movie a chance actually in-theatre!

Why cookie Rocket
Dec 2, 2003

Baronjutter posted:

Well, after this thread constantly saying it was ok and the Red Letter Media guys both saying it's ok, I might give this new Trek movie a chance actually in-theatre!

I'm a grumpy purist and it's probably the best Trek movie since 6. Which is really more about how much they have sucked since 6 than it is about Beyond being amazing or something. But hey, I'll take it.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?

howe_sam posted:

The red matter detonation in Trek 09 happens some indeterminate distance from, but presumably close to, Earth since they were just fighting Nero there.

Yeah, but they'd since gone to warp. I figured they were in deep space for that.

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

"Beam up Spock and Doctor McCoy now. Do it!"
" Now, just a damned minute...

R-Type
Oct 10, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
I know this is the Trek thread, but the Babylon 5 thread has rolled into archive. My apologies for interrupting.

The actor that played Michael Garibaldi, Jerry Doyle, has left us and went beyond the Rim. :(

http://www.foxnews.com/entertainment/2016/07/28/actor-turned-radio-host-jerry-doyle-dead-at-60.html

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Jerry Doyle was a goddamned rear end in a top hat but Garibaldi was such a great character.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Rhyno posted:

Jerry Doyle was a goddamned rear end in a top hat but Garibaldi was such a great character.

How was he an rear end in a top hat?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

WickedHate posted:

Do a google search for "Jerry Doyle politics."

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

I'm a grumpy purist and it's probably the best Trek movie since 6. Which is really more about how much they have sucked since 6 than it is about Beyond being amazing or something. But hey, I'll take it.

I am also a grump elitist scumbag about my sci fi and I'd say it's the best one since First Contact since I find it and Generations relatively inoffensive, although First Contact holds up less as I get older. You're right though, that's not really high praise when you stop to think about it

Also that's a shame about Mr. Garabaldi, he wasn't even that old. I always enjoy seeing italian people show up in space shows, it's nice to feel represented

e: I have made it a point over the years never to google his political views though, same with Adam Baldwin

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Tighclops posted:

e: I have made it a point over the years never to google his political views though, same with Adam Baldwin

Throw Dwight Schultz in that bag too.

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.

Nessus posted:

That's awful though. I never got much into B5 but I hear the cast were all like some kind of rock star-curse-having assembly. But maybe I just have had my perspective colored by people who were really into B5.

Babylon 5's cast seems to be dying off faster than TOS's. At this point, I wouldn't be suprised if Walter Koenig ended up the last one standing...

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Angry Salami posted:

Babylon 5's cast seems to be dying off faster than TOS's. At this point, I wouldn't be suprised if Walter Koenig ended up the last one standing...

Bestor always had a contingency plan.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Regarding the Discovery's registry number:

http://nerdist.com/7-things-we-learned-about-bryan-fullers-star-trek-discovery-at-comic-con/

quote:

Bryan Fuller REALLY Likes Halloween

Seriously. Like, enough to commission an entire starship in its honor. Just take a look at the Discovery’s registry number: NCC-1031. “Yes,” admits the director with a laugh, “I love Halloween.”

It’s a sure sign that, while this Star Trek will take itself seriously, like the original series it won’t be afraid to have a little fun sometimes.
Kind of hard to tell how seriously he was answering out of context, but there you go.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

WickedHate posted:

I seem to recall hearing that at one point he was going around telling people that the reason Michael O'Hare left was because he got fired for alcoholism.