Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

Leading us to the promised land (i.e., one tournament win in five years)

blackmongoose posted:

The Traitor Baru Cormorant uses it all the time so it is now a thread-approved word (because TTBC is awesome)
Uh, goddam, I read the whole book thinking the term was "tribalist"

I am dumb.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

ToxicFrog posted:

Only if you're french. The word hasn't really migrated into english.
Final Fantasy VI random encounter on the Lete river, "Exocite", is how I ended up learning that one.

...trap sprung?

(ask me about "procyote" and "joclyote" I dare you)

darnon
Nov 8, 2009

ulmont posted:

Following up on this because Swann finally responded (email went into spam filter).

Hostile Takeover is unlikely to get an ebook omnibus until (and if) DAW decides to do a new edition of Hostile Takeover; it basically fell in between the cracks of when DAW started releasing ebooks as a matter of course.

In other Swann news apparently he got contracted to write a choose your own adventure book in the moreau universe so that's a thing that's happening. Including being able to choose a genetically modified capybara.

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Final Fantasy VI random encounter on the Lete river, "Exocite", is how I ended up learning that one.

...trap sprung?

(ask me about "procyote" and "joclyote" I dare you)

hosed up video game English for prokaryote and eukaryote?

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

andrew smash posted:

hosed up video game English for prokaryote and eukaryote?
Yes, actually. FF4, on the moon. And they looked like a single blobby cell with tentacles. Of course, they were palette swaps of each other, so it didn't actually teach me about microbiology :eng101:

Koesj
Aug 3, 2003

Strategic Tea posted:

IIRC the main UK english meaning for exocet is, ironically, a make of missile. I think it's even a naval one?

It's a French-built anti-ship missile family named after the fish. So pretty much pisces all the way down.

House Louse posted:

Gene Wolfe is a pretty good writer, you know.* These posts where I'm saying yes, the novel does do this stuff you're saying it should do, are in fact praising it.

*Note to self: post with sig.

Ok!

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Yes, actually. FF4, on the moon. And they looked like a single blobby cell with tentacles. Of course, they were palette swaps of each other, so it didn't actually teach me about microbiology :eng101:

Did the prokaryote have membrane bound organelles because if so I'll be cross

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

Koesj posted:

It's a French-built anti-ship missile family named after the fish. So pretty much pisces all the way down.

I've learned what an exocet missile was from the Falklands and Top Gun.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.

holocaust bloopers posted:

I've learned what an exocet missile was from the Falklands and Top Gun.

All these Exocets and Phalanxes, it's like I'm playing Harpoon again!

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Just finished Perdido Street Station. I'm glad I toughed it out, it was a worthwhile read, but it definitely would have stood on its own better if I had read it before The Scar. I felt like Mieville spends too much time giving you minor details about New Crobuzon and its inhabitants, in particular late in the book when I really just wanted the plot to clip along. I also felt like the characters, while fundamentally very good, didn't really have particularly robust arcs. In particular Derkhan kind of felt pretty flat.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

General Battuta posted:

All these Exocets and Phalanxes, it's like I'm playing Harpoon again!

I see you poking into the Airpower thread.

If Baru ever needs to expand on command and control AWACS sorties, hit me up. I'll ghost write the passage.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.

holocaust bloopers posted:

I see you poking into the Airpower thread.

If Baru ever needs to expand on command and control AWACS sorties, hit me up. I'll ghost write the passage.

Hahahaha I actually have a manuscript I want to bounce off you! You can find my email on my website, if you're up for it.

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Always gotta pay it forward.
There may be other military aviation experts that might want to help as well...ahem.

ed balls balls man
Apr 17, 2006
So I just smashed through the first 3 of Charles Stross Laundry Files novels in this space of a week while I'm working away from home. I've never picked one up before mostly because the whole Lovecraft/Cosmic Horror genre never really interested me (plus his horrible wiki pic). His writing style is great if you can live with the first three being semi-pastiches to espionage authors, and tech wankery but his world building and plot is pretty decent. Would certainly recommend.

General Emergency
Apr 2, 2009

Can we talk?
I've been reading some short story collections lately (would like suggestions for more) and recently finished Ken Liu's Paper Menagerie. It was pretty good and I think he's a better science fiction writer than he is a fantasy one. That said some of the stories felt pretty heavy handed for their premises and the premises kinda got lost in the scuffle. Especially the last one...

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

ed balls balls man posted:

So I just smashed through the first 3 of Charles Stross Laundry Files novels in this space of a week while I'm working away from home. I've never picked one up before mostly because the whole Lovecraft/Cosmic Horror genre never really interested me (plus his horrible wiki pic). His writing style is great if you can live with the first three being semi-pastiches to espionage authors, and tech wankery but his world building and plot is pretty decent. Would certainly recommend.

If you are enjoying them get the Laundry short stories. Also grab "A Colder War".

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

General Battuta posted:

Hahahaha I actually have a manuscript I want to bounce off you! You can find my email on my website, if you're up for it.

Yea would be happy too. I'll shoot you an email here today.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

So I started reading Children of Time because of the recommendations earlier and I've really been enjoying it so far. The spider culture stuff is pretty interesting as well as the Peter Watts-esque ant civilization that doesn't have consciousness.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:

muscles like this? posted:

So I started reading Children of Time because of the recommendations earlier and I've really been enjoying it so far. The spider culture stuff is pretty interesting as well as the Peter Watts-esque ant civilization that doesn't have consciousness.

The ending is a little bit 'what the gently caress' (but not necessarily in a bad way). Honestly a really great book.

But the idea of having my brain forcefully re-wired to see spiders as 'family' squicks me the gently caress out :wtc:

the_homemaster
Dec 7, 2015
The ending was loving brilliant

What do we think it's chances are of winning the Arthur C Clarke Award?

It has to be either that or Arcadia, but I think politics will win out.

Xotl
May 28, 2001

Be seeing you.

MockingQuantum posted:

Just finished Perdido Street Station. I'm glad I toughed it out, it was a worthwhile read, but it definitely would have stood on its own better if I had read it before The Scar. I felt like Mieville spends too much time giving you minor details about New Crobuzon and its inhabitants, in particular late in the book when I really just wanted the plot to clip along. I also felt like the characters, while fundamentally very good, didn't really have particularly robust arcs. In particular Derkhan kind of felt pretty flat.

This was pretty much my feeling as well. A bunch of neat ideas wrapped around flat characters and a lack of focus.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Xotl posted:

This was pretty much my feeling as well. A bunch of neat ideas wrapped around flat characters and a lack of focus.

FWIW if you (or anyone who has read PSS) haven't read The Scar I really feel like Mieville figures his poo poo out much better and the world of Bas-Lag takes off in that one. It's much more coherent, and he gets deeper into some of the cultures (Remade, Cacti, one other one that doesn't show up in PSS) and the central characters feel more like actual people than plot puppets.

The overarching plot of The Scar is also about 1000x more compelling too, I think. PSS didn't have a bad plot per se, but it felt like a lot of threads to try and maintain through the book, and I think only one or two of them felt like they successfully led somewhere satisfying. I feel like much more interesting things could have been done with the Construct Council, the Weaver, and the Handlingers but all of them kind of felt like they appeared to fill a particular plot bucket, and after that was fulfilled they disappeared.

Actually, the more I think about it, the more I feel like the ending of Perdido was a letdown, given everything that built up to it.

MockingQuantum fucked around with this message at 04:53 on Jul 29, 2016

the_homemaster
Dec 7, 2015
To be fair all of his endings are 'let downs'

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib
I usually absolutely love books with very dense novel ideas and concepts as reflected in the worldbuilding... But PSS left me very cold. I read the Scar which I found just okay, nothing remarkable, save for the mosquito people bit which I thought was loving alien and cool. I tried to get into the City and the City but found it dreadfully boring, though the prose was technically miles above PSS. I think Mieville is not for me. Surprisingly it has nothing to do with his politics either, even though we disagree on major issues. He doesn't lecture so it's not grating. The only time it annoyed me was how the mob in the Scar was such a positive force, which I thought unlikely.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

the_homemaster posted:

To be fair all of his endings are 'let downs'

I guess to a point, yeah. The Scar at least felt like it had a pretty concrete climax, instead of "welp we built a machine, wahoo now the moths are dead, turns out my girlfriend is alive... also the garuda's a rapist. bye!".

Neurosis posted:

I usually absolutely love books with very dense novel ideas and concepts as reflected in the worldbuilding... But PSS left me very cold. I read the Scar which I found just okay, nothing remarkable, save for the mosquito people bit which I thought was loving alien and cool. I tried to get into the City and the City but found it dreadfully boring, though the prose was technically miles above PSS. I think Mieville is not for me. Surprisingly it has nothing to do with his politics either, even though we disagree on major issues. He doesn't lecture so it's not grating. The only time it annoyed me was how the mob in the Scar was such a positive force, which I thought unlikely.

I'm curious, since I like your recommendations (or tastes or whatever) in the horror thread: what SF/F does it for you in terms of worldbuilding? I'd agree that I love novel concepts in fantasy worlds, but that Mieville kind of only seems to deliver on about half of his ideas beyond a very surface level.

Fart of Presto
Feb 9, 2001
Clapping Larry

ulmont posted:

Following up on this because Swann finally responded (email went into spam filter).

Hostile Takeover is unlikely to get an ebook omnibus until (and if) DAW decides to do a new edition of Hostile Takeover; it basically fell in between the cracks of when DAW started releasing ebooks as a matter of course.

Thanks for the update.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

MockingQuantum posted:

I'm curious, since I like your recommendations (or tastes or whatever) in the horror thread: what SF/F does it for you in terms of worldbuilding? I'd agree that I love novel concepts in fantasy worlds, but that Mieville kind of only seems to deliver on about half of his ideas beyond a very surface level.

Thanks!

I think the books that do it the best that I can remember are The Quantum Thief and The Golden Age. The Quantum Thief probably has cooler 'big ideas', but The Golden Age has so many cool ideas for what could be done to human thought, identity and expression with technology. I remember one bit in the first book where the protagonist is going through things for sale where it's just this barrage of cool ideas incredibly densely packed. Of course, the flipside of the author's, John C Wright's, fevered imagination is that he sees liberals coming for his rights left and right. House of Suns had some extremely cool world (universe?) building as well. The plot itself was so-so, but the sense of scale given by the aspects of the world that Reynolds detailed was breathtaking. It also felt very Gothic.

Koesj
Aug 3, 2003
Deepness in the Sky had massive worldbuilding hooks for me. The 'failed dreams', the way the trading families provide for civilizational backstops, the alternate history/near-future sci fi of the alien world, etc.

Robot Wendigo
Jul 9, 2013

Grimey Drawer

MockingQuantum posted:

I remember reading that Mieville had spent quite a bit of time poring over RPG manuals as a youth and this came through in PSS.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Robot Wendigo posted:

I remember reading that Mieville had spent quite a bit of time poring over RPG manuals as a youth and this came through in PSS.

I could believe that. A lot of it reads like sourcebooks-- little bite-sized chunks of info that are enough to give you a flavor of the world without really feeling like you've gone deeper than a surface level.

Koesj
Aug 3, 2003
Thinking of starting my first foray into Gene Wolfe's stuff :ohdear:

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
I'm going into Neal Asher's work by starting on Dark Intelligence. :woop:

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Hey fellow Craig Schaefer fanboy(s), how long does Revanche Cycle take to build up to some action? I'm reading Winter's Reach right now, and while the prose is nice and snappy, the "sort of Europe, sort of not" setting already feels really blah to me. I'm not wild on the idea of digging into a 4 book series right now but I'm willing to give this a chance since I love the Faust books, as long as I know what I'm getting into.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
It's a different type of book. I haven't finished the series but it's more of a political thriller sort of fantasy, albeit depressing as gently caress, more so than a dungeons and dragons escapade.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

Koesj posted:

You are about to either go on a wonderful journey or hit a brick wall. May I recommend beginning with Fifth Head of Cerberus, before deciding if you want to go deeper? It's quite short and digestible,, it still has Wolfe complexity and prose, and I think his reflections on identity in a post-colonial context are interesting. The only thing maybe lacking c.f. The New Sun is the really engaging and strange world. The Wizard Knight wouldn't be a bad non-Solar Cycle starting point, either.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Here's a thread for the new Harry Potter book coming out tomorrow:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3784894

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

Koesj posted:

A good idea. I'll second The Fifth Head of Cerberus and The Wizard Knight as good starting places, so are his short stories (watch out, though, these can get seriously confusing) and Peace if you want something more mainstream. Contrariwise, his newer books are generally less well thought of.

Wolfe does ask more of the reader than most writers, but he's worth it. You might find this interesting: https://www.sfsite.com/fsf/2007/gwms0704.htm

I'm the Book Barn IK. Feel free to PM me or email bookbarnsecretsanta@gmail.com if I can help you with anything.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

House Louse posted:

A good idea. I'll second The Fifth Head of Cerberus and The Wizard Knight as good starting places, so are his short stories (watch out, though, these can get seriously confusing) and Peace if you want something more mainstream. Contrariwise, his newer books are generally less well thought of.

Wolfe does ask more of the reader than most writers, but he's worth it. You might find this interesting: https://www.sfsite.com/fsf/2007/gwms0704.htm

Thank you for this article. This articulates Wolfe's appeal far better than I've ever managed.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Robot Wendigo posted:

I don't like Mieville's books, but his sadly too-brief run of Dial H is a treasure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

TODAY'S GONNA BE A GOOD MOTHERFUCKIN' DAY!!!
I was devastated by the ending of Perdido Street Station, but I ended up really appreciating it for that reason.