Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shadin
Jun 28, 2009
This is the best drat OP. I've never built or painted anything but recently decided to try my hand and this thread and the Warhammer40k subreddit was awesome for info and examples. So far I love it, really relaxing and helps a ton with anxiety. Just finished my first miniature, I'm relatively pleased but know I have a long way to go still.

http://m.imgur.com/a/z8Gaz

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GoodBee
Apr 8, 2004

Shadin posted:

This is the best drat OP. I've never built or painted anything but recently decided to try my hand and this thread and the Warhammer40k subreddit was awesome for info and examples. So far I love it, really relaxing and helps a ton with anxiety. Just finished my first miniature, I'm relatively pleased but know I have a long way to go still.

Great! Now that you're hooked, check out the terrain thread and the oath thread.

I'm currently trying to figure out a color scheme for my Guild Ball team that will match the bases I'm working on. I don't think I own enough greens. Hmm.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

Shadin posted:

Hey, that's great for your first mini. Even coats, picking out details, even line highlights. I didn't get that far for quite a while.

For your next mini, I'd focus on building up really thin layers. It's surprising how thin you need to have them for good results. I remember thinning mine my first few times and thinking it was enough. Keep at it, and take a picture of each new guy you paint. You'll see a big difference between each and every little guy you complete.

Shadin
Jun 28, 2009

GoodBee posted:

Great! Now that you're hooked, check out the terrain thread and the oath thread

Yeah, definitely hooked. I guess I should consider learning to play at some point, haha. Thanks for the link to the oath thread, that's awesome.

BULBASAUR posted:

Hey, that's great for your first mini. Even coats, picking out details, even line highlights. I didn't get that far for quite a while.

For your next mini, I'd focus on building up really thin layers. It's surprising how thin you need to have them for good results. I remember thinning mine my first few times and thinking it was enough. Keep at it, and take a picture of each new guy you paint. You'll see a big difference between each and every little guy you complete.

Thanks man. Yeah I can see now that I probably put it on a little thick, I did the same thing you're talking about, I felt like I was really thinning it down at the time.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
Anyone know a minis paint that is close to 100% cyan?

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
It took me about 8 models to get the consistency right myself. Just keep at it and push yourself with each model.

If you're curious, I kind logged my own learning process. You're already quite a few steps ahead of where I started:
http://www.powerfisted.com/?p=19

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

Friendly PSA about weathering powders.

When blowing excess powder off the model make sure you blow away from the open pot.

My desk is now vaguely rust colored.

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

signalnoise posted:

Anyone know a minis paint that is close to 100% cyan?

VGC Electric blue?

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Floppychop posted:

Friendly PSA about weathering powders.

When blowing excess powder off the model make sure you blow away from the open pot.

My desk is now vaguely rust colored.

Now that your desk matches the surface of beloved Mars, it is only a short time until you detach yourself from the weakness of the flesh. Welcome to the embrace of the Omnissiah. 01000001 01101100 01101100 00100000 01101000 01100001 01101001 01101100 00100000 01001000 01101001 01101101 00100001

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

Southern Heel posted:

VGC Electric blue?

This looks good, thanks!

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

dr_ether posted:

The arms are where two pieces - literally the two halves of the forearms, are glued together.

Having done some of these myself I feel your pain. Flood the join with plastic glue before squeezing it together and you will get a bead of melted plastic oozing from the join. Trim that off and try to approximate the various straps. You're a good enough painter that you can fudge it the rest of the way. Once you remove enough of the line to break it up it any remaining bits won't be half as obvious.

GreenMarine
Apr 25, 2009

Switchblade Switcharoo

A couple of stormcasts. The armor is more tarnished than usual for these guys. I wanted my army to have the feel of former undead reforged into stormcasts, their armor tarnished as soon as they leave Azyr by the cold touch of death that forever haunts them. They've traded their bondage to Nagash for service to Sigmar and the hope that they might release others from undeath or restore Shyish to the grand alliance.

Speed assembly line painted the colors after doing the armor with airbrush.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

GreenMarine posted:

A couple of stormcasts. The armor is more tarnished than usual for these guys. I wanted my army to have the feel of former undead reforged into stormcasts, their armor tarnished as soon as they leave Azyr by the cold touch of death that forever haunts them. They've traded their bondage to Nagash for service to Sigmar and the hope that they might release others from undeath or restore Shyish to the grand alliance.

Great paint job! Sadly it's negated by the fact that it's a Sigmarine

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?

Iron Crowned posted:

Great paint job! Sadly it's negated by the fact that it's a Sigmarine

Shut the gently caress up

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!
He's not wrong. It's a nice paint job on a tubby knight with a weird face mask.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Indolent Bastard posted:

He's not wrong. It's a nice paint job on a tubby knight with a weird face mask.

Yeah, I came off a bit assholish, he really did make a bad model look really good

Dr. Gargunza
May 19, 2011

He damned me for a eunuch,
and my mother for a whore.

Fun Shoe

GreenMarine posted:

These guys are really well done. Nice muted color scheme with a good deal of subtlety, but it also pops really vividly on the purples. Plus, you've also put more effort into your fluff than all the writers at GW combined. :D

e: Actually, I did notice something to nitpick! Your static grass looks a bit flat; it might look nicer if you get it to stand up a bit. The easiest way to do this is:

A) apply drops of glue
B) quickly apply grass
C) very quickly turn the model over and tap gently on the bottom of the base a few times (do this over the tub of grass to catch the leftovers)

I noticed a distinct improvement in how lively my grass looked after I started doing that (it was pretty embarrassingly flattened on my earlier models).

Dr. Gargunza fucked around with this message at 14:44 on Jul 28, 2016

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

GreenMarine posted:

I really love the color scheme here. Looks so much better than the gold/blue everyone else does.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

GreenMarine posted:

I really dig the purple, how'd you do it? That's pretty much exactly the same shade I want to do with some KoW elves that I have.. that shade of purple with either some muted gold or bronze.

GreenMarine
Apr 25, 2009

Switchblade Switcharoo

Dr. Gargunza posted:

I noticed a distinct improvement in how lively my grass looked after I started doing that (it was pretty embarrassingly flattened on my earlier models).

I'll give it a shot! Squashed grass is a thing that annoys me and I haven't had much luck fixing.

The purple is all GW colors. I start with a base coat of Naggaroth Night then one or two coats of Xereus Purple, usually leaving the naggaroth night in the pits or edges. Then I do a bit of genestealer purple. On the shield I feathered this on the edges and on the tops of the shoulder pads. After that's done I shade the entire surface with Druchii Violent shade ink, once or twice. This brings all of the purples into a darker hue. Then I do a small bit of additional highlights with genestealer purple. Finally I edge highlight with lucius lilac. Without any edge highlight the detail gets lost.

GreenMarine fucked around with this message at 16:00 on Jul 28, 2016

Pash
Sep 10, 2009

The First of the Adorable Dead
You can also blow on the static grass after you put it in the glue to try to make it stand up. Just make sure you don't have an open thing of static grass behind wherever you are blowing... or you will get static grass everywhere.

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.

Pash posted:

You can also blow on the static grass after you put it in the glue to try to make it stand up. Just make sure you don't have an open thing of static grass behind wherever you are blowing... or you will get static grass everywhere.
^^^ This sounds like the voice of hard-earned experience right here.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Ilor posted:

^^^ This sounds like the voice of hard-earned experience right here.

Pro life lesson: never sneeze into a tub of static grass.

Dr. Gargunza
May 19, 2011

He damned me for a eunuch,
and my mother for a whore.

Fun Shoe

Pierzak posted:

Pro life lesson: never sneeze into a tub of static grass.

See also: Pigment powders, breathing near open containers of

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

Is there a way to seal pigment powders?

I tried the normal gloss+matte for sealing and while it kept the colors, it didn't keep the "dusty" look.

Not sealing really isn't an option as it's for a mass of Orks that get scooped en-mass off the table during gameplay.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
From my experience there is only one way to preserve the dusty look- varnish with an enamel (important, because it dries slowly). Then, while it's just barely tacky, apply your pigments. Everything else will remove parts of your dusty effect

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte

Floppychop posted:

Is there a way to seal pigment powders?

I tried the normal gloss+matte for sealing and while it kept the colors, it didn't keep the "dusty" look.

Not sealing really isn't an option as it's for a mass of Orks that get scooped en-mass off the table during gameplay.

As Bulbasaur said, you can either lay this down first then dust over, or, for seams and cracks - I like to put the pigment down then use capillary action to add this in.

http://www.secretweaponminiatures.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=37_19&products_id=579

Worth its weight in gold.

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.
You can use mineral spirits as well.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

Yeast posted:

As Bulbasaur said, you can either lay this down first then dust over, or, for seams and cracks - I like to put the pigment down then use capillary action to add this in.

http://www.secretweaponminiatures.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=37_19&products_id=579

Worth its weight in gold.

I keep this stuff in a spritzer, it's great

Irate Tree
Mar 12, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Bought a new camera recently and decided to take some new pics of this guy, whom i'm going to try getting finished(!) over the next week.

Harkano
Jun 5, 2005

Looking for advice on making the metals pop on my Khador. For Trolls I took the metallic scheme from this article (http://www.belloflostsouls.net/2012/03/trollkin-war-wagon-painting-the-thing.html), which is basically layer of orange, drybrush with steel, and hit it with a 50/25/25 black/brown/blue wash. I love the richness and depth this gives the metals.

I have a lot of metallic warjack parts to paint (primarily Red scheme on the non metals) and I'd like something that pops a bit better than my current VGA Stee' + Black Wash. Any advice on doing something more visually interesting?

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

When the light turns green, you go. When the light turns red, you stop. But what do you do when the light turns blue with orange and lavender spots?
Has anyone painted a rock creature? I've painted rock terrain but I want to do something different for a miniature

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

goodness posted:

Has anyone painted a rock creature? I've painted rock terrain but I want to do something different for a miniature

Germ paints rocks real purdy like. He could probably steer you in the right direction.

Zhent
Oct 18, 2011

The difference between gods and daemons largely depends upon where one is standing at the time.
Can anyone recommend an alternative model for Epidemius [https://www.games-workshop.com/en-FI/Chaos-Daemons-Epidemius] ? He plays on a 60mm round base, so there is some room there, but I really don't want to chance a finecast model and spend a week cleaning it up.

Slandible
Apr 30, 2008

Moving from a different game system, Guildball models are so drat enjoyable to paint. I have been enjoying Fish way too much.

Gareth Gobulcoque
Jan 10, 2008

Those look great.

Irate Tree
Mar 12, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Welp...

Note to self: invest in better basing materials.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte

Irate Tree posted:

Welp...

Note to self: invest in better basing materials.

If you're in a child-free home, I'd recommend crushed glass for snow. It's pretty amazing.

http://bloodofkittens.com/wargaminghub/2015/09/18/let-it-snow/

http://www.secretweaponminiatures.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=13&products_id=106

if you've got kids tearing around or just don't like the idea - Woodland Scenics: http://woodlandscenics.woodlandscenics.com/show/Item/SN140/page/1

But yeah, white static flock isn't great.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Zhent posted:

Can anyone recommend an alternative model for Epidemius [https://www.games-workshop.com/en-FI/Chaos-Daemons-Epidemius] ? He plays on a 60mm round base, so there is some room there, but I really don't want to chance a finecast model and spend a week cleaning it up.

To be fair, a bunch of holes and divots on a Nurgle model would only add to the appearance :v: you could go ahead and try to find a metal one, or you could go with this guy from Puppetswar:
http://puppetswar.eu/product.php?id_product=12
Or this version of him if you want him to look more dapper:
http://puppetswar.eu/product.php?id_product=20

Yeast posted:

If you're in a child-free home, I'd recommend crushed glass for snow. It's pretty amazing.

http://bloodofkittens.com/wargaminghub/2015/09/18/let-it-snow/

http://www.secretweaponminiatures.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=13&products_id=106

if you've got kids tearing around or just don't like the idea - Woodland Scenics: http://woodlandscenics.woodlandscenics.com/show/Item/SN140/page/1

But yeah, white static flock isn't great.

I've seen the crushed glass stuff on models and it looks great but I'm not huge into the idea of getting stuff that could lacerate my lungs. Typical snow flock is pretty transparent, so it's a good idea to paint the area under it with some white or light grey first unless you want it to look like slush. Building up the base with green stuff or something so you can get some variety would also help.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GoodBee
Apr 8, 2004

I used the snow static flock on some Malifaux stuff. I did the paint the area white, make a paste of snow static flock, PVA glue, water and a little white paint, spread it around and then sprinkle some more on top.

Here's a cute little Wendigo rockin' out on a snowy rock.