Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Rodenthar Drothman posted:

PSA post: had to evacuate due to a wildfire. Last thing I grabbed was my cosplay stuff because it's packed in boxes and easy to grab.

Always keep the stuff you've spent hundreds of hours on in an easy-to-grab case and place just in case, yo.

Pictured: the things that couldn't go in boxes in the bed of the truck, my Wolf Beil axe, and the dog.

(We're going home tonight, house escaped the fire by about a quarter of a mile. Good job LACFD.)

Wolf Beil buddies!
(Yours is much nicer than mine.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

foxatee
Feb 27, 2010

That foxatee is always making a Piggles out of herself.
Hello, dears! Haven't kept up with the thread, so I'm hoping this hasn't been asked yet:
Halloween is coming up and my five year old has decided she wants to be Wonder Woman. We're in Maryland where it gets cold in October (in the 40s last year), so I think I'm going to convince her to go with the latest (comic) costume change; it includes pants and long sleeves. Since I am trying to keep her warm, I wanted the bottom layer to be a thick fabric, but still able to fit like a bodysuit. I thought about maybe spacer or scuba fabric, but it doesn't provide much stretch, as far as I can tell (internet research). I don't know much about fabrics, but I'm sure I'm overthinking it. Figured you guys might have better ideas on what to use. Suggestions?

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.

Magnus Praeda posted:

Glad your house was saved. Your dog is adorable :3:.

Thanks! But, looks like the fire is headed back towards the house from another direction, but it'd have to work through quite a few houses first. Now it's just drinking and hoping!

The dog is quite cute indeed :3

~Coxy posted:

Wolf Beil buddies!
(Yours is much nicer than mine.)

All wolf beils are good wolf beils! (Excited to see another Hector here, we're kinda rare. Only seen one other in about 3 years of cosplaying him off and on.)

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
Haha, yeah.

Well mine is a little budget, being made out of a mop handle and a CD-ROM drive case, but I was relatively pleased with how the carved MDF came out at the time. It was definitely a Halloween- rather than a con- Hector. :) (I think technically it was a "Lords & Ladies" party.)

Mecha Neko
Mar 16, 2011

thespaceinvader posted:

Assuming it's foam, go over it all with a heat gun, then as many layers of 50:50 PVA/white glue and water as you have time for. And you should be able to use a dremel sanding drum or just sandpaper elbow grease and time to smooth any sharp edges.

Thanks! It's all craft foam sheets.

General glue question: is there an advantage between wood glue/mod podge/white glue? Or do they basically all produce the same result when used as a sealant?

Rodenthar Drothman posted:

PSA post: had to evacuate due to a wildfire. Last thing I grabbed was my cosplay stuff because it's packed in boxes and easy to grab.

Always keep the stuff you've spent hundreds of hours on in an easy-to-grab case and place just in case, yo.

Pictured: the things that couldn't go in boxes in the bed of the truck, my Wolf Beil axe, and the dog.

(We're going home tonight, house escaped the fire by about a quarter of a mile. Good job LACFD.)

Glad you and the dog got out OK! Fingers crossed for the house.

foxatee posted:

Hello, dears! Haven't kept up with the thread, so I'm hoping this hasn't been asked yet:
Halloween is coming up and my five year old has decided she wants to be Wonder Woman. We're in Maryland where it gets cold in October (in the 40s last year), so I think I'm going to convince her to go with the latest (comic) costume change; it includes pants and long sleeves. Since I am trying to keep her warm, I wanted the bottom layer to be a thick fabric, but still able to fit like a bodysuit. I thought about maybe spacer or scuba fabric, but it doesn't provide much stretch, as far as I can tell (internet research). I don't know much about fabrics, but I'm sure I'm overthinking it. Figured you guys might have better ideas on what to use. Suggestions?

What about long underwear? I know adult thermals come in different thicknesses because I own a range for different times of winter. I would guess you can find a similar range for kids.

Goldaline
Dec 21, 2006

my dear

foxatee posted:

Plain old spandex is actually pretty warm when you're totally covered in it, but terry backed lycra is definitely an option too. Or a heavy 4 way stretch ponte knit maybe?

I also often line my spandex stuff with an extra layer just to cut down on sheerness and that makes them pretty warm.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

You can but fleece-lined leggings and stuff; I am not sure if the fabric is just commercially available but it seems like it ought to be. People wear that in the actual winter and it's generally fine, so I imagine it would be fine for a late October evening without any other layering.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.

~Coxy posted:

Haha, yeah.

Well mine is a little budget, being made out of a mop handle and a CD-ROM drive case, but I was relatively pleased with how the carved MDF came out at the time. It was definitely a Halloween- rather than a con- Hector. :) (I think technically it was a "Lords & Ladies" party.)

A nice job on a budget~ kudos!

Mine took a couple hundred hours of sanding and a whole lot of primer to get smooth, which is why I was going to grab it on the way out during evac no matter what.

(I've posted here a few times before, but life got in the way. I wanna start getting back into this and posting more.)

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

The fleece-lined spandex is a great idea, imo. Sweatshirt fabric could also work out nicely, and tends not to be super expensive. Durable for a kid's costume, too!

Goldaline
Dec 21, 2006

my dear

my cat is norris posted:

The fleece-lined spandex is a great idea, imo. Sweatshirt fabric could also work out nicely, and tends not to be super expensive. Durable for a kid's costume, too!

Be careful, regular sweatshirt fleece tends to only be 2 way stretch, and not even very stretchy.

McPantserton
Jan 19, 2005

IRONICALLY SWEALTERING
Added some more garbage to my garbage. Sorry about my filthy rug, was dremeling plastic and hadn't vacuumed yet.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Looks dope!
That's a shishkebab, right?

McPantserton
Jan 19, 2005

IRONICALLY SWEALTERING

Inzombiac posted:

Looks dope!
That's a shishkebab, right?

Thanks! It def is. It's been fun doing a project with so much less sculpting and more scrounging. Feels very authentic! I'm hoping to wrap up the actual bolting together really soon so I can paint that sucker.

Also I don't know if anybody's interested but I'll be doing a livestream on Arda Wigs' twitch stream this Saturday, we're taking my 40k vacuum form bucks and trying to do a full set with Thibra. So if you want to see me muck around and screw poo poo up live it'll be running from 2 until whenever.

foxatee
Feb 27, 2010

That foxatee is always making a Piggles out of herself.
Yeah, I thought fleece lined leggings would be the way to go for her legs, but I wasn't sure what to do about her top. Thanks for the suggestions, everyone!

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Mecha Neko posted:

Thanks! It's all craft foam sheets.

General glue question: is there an advantage between wood glue/mod podge/white glue? Or do they basically all produce the same result when used as a sealant?
I understand them to all be broadly the same product - polyvinyl acetate.

Funhilde
Jun 1, 2011

Cats Love Me.

foxatee posted:

Hi. Maybe a 12oz cotton lycra would be great too or a Stretch French terry if you can find it. Brushed poly could be good too but I'm not sure how warm it is.

This pattern company has some great pdf patterns that may be good including a free kids legging pattern (with a code found on their FB page). https://www.madeformermaids.com

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

Mecha Neko posted:

They're all PVA (Polyvinyl Acetate) glues, but with a few differences.

White glue is basic PVA with water added to make it thin and runny, Tacky glue is pure PVA, Wood glue has additional resins added to the PVA base for strength, and Mod Podge is literally just PVA mixed with satin or gloss acrylic varnish.

Mecha Neko
Mar 16, 2011

Silhouette posted:

White glue is basic PVA with water added to make it thin and runny, Tacky glue is pure PVA, Wood glue has additional resins added to the PVA base for strength, and Mod Podge is literally just PVA mixed with satin or gloss acrylic varnish.

That's really good to know, thank you!

peach moonshine
Jan 18, 2015
On the mod podge subject, does anyone know what would happen if I put an object covered in mod podge in the oven at 250 degrees? Would the mod podge deteriorate in any way?

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

It would most likely melt and peel, possibly burn.

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

I would look into clear heat resistant coatings that you could layer on top of the decoupage.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Silhouette posted:

Huh. I don't know why I never knew this.

peach moonshine
Jan 18, 2015
Thanks for the responses. I had a feeling it wouldn't work, but figured I'd ask, since I already have mod podge lying around. I've found a solution.

Eventually, I'm going to make a silicone mold of a polymer clay object. Does anyone know if I should I put some kind of coating on the polymer clay before pouring on the silicone?

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

peach moonshine posted:

Thanks for the responses. I had a feeling it wouldn't work, but figured I'd ask, since I already have mod podge lying around. I've found a solution.

Eventually, I'm going to make a silicone mold of a polymer clay object. Does anyone know if I should I put some kind of coating on the polymer clay before pouring on the silicone?

You shouldn't need to, silicone basically sticks to nothing except itself, but it can't hurt.

If you're doing a two part mould though you will need a mould release between the two halves because as noted, silicone DOES stick to itself.

Commissar Canuck
Aug 5, 2008

They made fun of us! And it's Stanley Cup season!

Does anyone have any recommendations on good, thin, breathable black gloves to wear under costume armoured gauntlets? I'm making some upgrades to my Dr. Doom outfit, so the fingers on the gauntlets are going to be Iron Manish and enclosed

oneof27
May 27, 2007
DSMtalker
Try bell ringer gloves. They are lightweight and some of them have little grippy nubs on the palms and fingers.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Have you considered just black cotton gloves? You can buy these pretty easily, I've seen them in a variety of grocery store/hardware places as just a way to keep your lands clean when cleaning. I have used plain cotton gloves as an underlayer before and they do the job. They are thin and breathable, but they might wear out pretty quick, especially if the armor pieces are working against them.

Another option that is going to be more durable are shooting gloves; you can find them in most sporting goods stores and army surplus places. There are usually a variety that range from simple lightweight gloves to ones with lining or padding for warmth/comfort and so on. I used a pair of these when I made a Rocketeer costume and they worked pretty well and didn't wear out.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

There are also cycling gloves that might work but most of them terminate at the heel of your hand.

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

Well, PAX is coming up, so I need to get serious about finishing my Illidan. The only tricky bit of sewing this is going to involve is the weird half-tabard:

How the gently caress do I make any of this? I can cut out a chunk of green fabric, but how do I get that ridged-yet-flexible pseudo-embroidery along the edges and around the gem? For that matter, how do I securely attach that gem to the fabric, and what clear-ish material can I make it out of so that it's not going to massively suck to have it pounding against my crotch as I walk around the con all day? Also, what's the best way to actually attach it to my waist?

Also, do any of you have any ideas about what I should do about the fact that the character is barefoot? The biggest thing I'm worried about is the fact that my feet are going to be covered in purple paint, making it difficult to wear anything like flip-flops without having all the paint rub off after the first couple of hours. My "best" idea so far is to do it kind of like how they did hobbit feet in LotR, where I'd make a cast of my foot, then make a prosthetic that would contain a thick enough sheet of rubber to protect my feet.

(I'll post some progress pics on the weapons once I've got them looking a little more impressive, but they're coming along great. Thank you all so much for telling me about spray filler primer, it's done wonders for evening out all of the tiny little pockmarks in my resin.)

McPantserton
Jan 19, 2005

IRONICALLY SWEALTERING
For fabric trim, maybe beveled craft foam? You could probably just glue it on I'd think. Gem is tougher but maybe a cast that includes loops on the back to sew to the tabbard, I def wouldn't just glue it. Junk hitting I cannot help with sadly.

As for bare feet there's a group I know called Sewing is Half the Battle who did a write-up for invisible shoes using clear straps and sandal soles so that might be an option if you google for it

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

I don't know what your investment is in this costume, but you can buy those toe shoes in purple, so you could see if that matches the skin color you are using and wear those? You could spend some extra time detailing them to look more like feet, if you wanted, but they're probably good as they come.

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

blastron posted:

Well, PAX is coming up, so I need to get serious about finishing my Illidan. The only tricky bit of sewing this is going to involve is the weird half-tabard:

How the gently caress do I make any of this? I can cut out a chunk of green fabric, but how do I get that ridged-yet-flexible pseudo-embroidery along the edges and around the gem? For that matter, how do I securely attach that gem to the fabric, and what clear-ish material can I make it out of so that it's not going to massively suck to have it pounding against my crotch as I walk around the con all day? Also, what's the best way to actually attach it to my waist?

Also, do any of you have any ideas about what I should do about the fact that the character is barefoot? The biggest thing I'm worried about is the fact that my feet are going to be covered in purple paint, making it difficult to wear anything like flip-flops without having all the paint rub off after the first couple of hours. My "best" idea so far is to do it kind of like how they did hobbit feet in LotR, where I'd make a cast of my foot, then make a prosthetic that would contain a thick enough sheet of rubber to protect my feet.

(I'll post some progress pics on the weapons once I've got them looking a little more impressive, but they're coming along great. Thank you all so much for telling me about spray filler primer, it's done wonders for evening out all of the tiny little pockmarks in my resin.)

I've no experience making costumes, so this might be a bad idea, but could you just sew the part of the tabard with the gem on it to the front of your pants? That way it wouldn't flop and swing around.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

For bare feet, could you get those toe shoe things that barefoot runners and other weird people like and paint them along with your foot?

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

McPantserton posted:

For fabric trim, maybe beveled craft foam? You could probably just glue it on I'd think. Gem is tougher but maybe a cast that includes loops on the back to sew to the tabbard, I def wouldn't just glue it. Junk hitting I cannot help with sadly.

As for bare feet there's a group I know called Sewing is Half the Battle who did a write-up for invisible shoes using clear straps and sandal soles so that might be an option if you google for it

Wow, that Sewing Is Half the Battle tutorial is great, I'll definitely do that. Beveled craft foam sounds right up my alley, too, although I was hoping to finally have a project that didn't involve any craft foam at all. For the gem, if I'm going to cast something with loops on the back, then I just realized I could actually make it hollow and paint the inside silver, which would make it lightweight enough that it wouldn't be too uncomfortable.

Do you have any idea how I should go about attaching those to my waist and keeping them from sliding to each side? I'm a little reluctant to sew them directly to the pants, since that would make weathering (and eventual modifications/repair) a bit harder.

Thanks for the suggestions on the toe shoes, Ashcans and chitoryu12, but those are expensive as hell and I'm not a good enough sculptor to make them look convincingly like feet.

McPantserton
Jan 19, 2005

IRONICALLY SWEALTERING
For butt/crotch skirts like that I've usually just rolled an elastic waistband and it usually doesn't move too much. If you're worried it'll migrate maybe a waistband plus a bit of velcro?

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

IIRC Illidan wears the whole thing as a kind of belt, so you should just be able to attach the tabard and the hip covers together with a belt, and worry very little about migration.

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

blastron posted:

1. I'd sculpt the trim/edging/filigree out of clay, then make a plaster mold of it and cast it in latex or silicone and attach it with...

2. Contact cement, my droog.

3. Belt loop. Allow for an extra 1 3/4" of fabric at the top, fold it over so that makes a 1 1/4" tube with a 1/2" seam allowance at the top of the loincloth and run your belt through it.

Commissar Canuck
Aug 5, 2008

They made fun of us! And it's Stanley Cup season!

Shooting gloves turned out to be too tight of a fit, but the bellringer gloves seem to be just right. Thanks thread :toot:

TwystNeko
Dec 25, 2004

*ya~~wn*
I've started building a new DeadMau5 head - my last one got knocked off a display shelf and shattered. :( I was able to glue it well enough to wear it again for halloween, but I figured it was time to just restart it.

This time, I'm going more ambitious than a basic cloth-covered head, like my first one.

Instead, I'm doing a Steampunk style, based on this design.

So far it's going well - I've designed all the parts in Fusion 360, and I've laser-cut all the shapes I can. I'm looking at getting the ears redone on the CNC router we have at the hackerspace.

In the design, I had originally planned to pass power and data to the ears via sockets with neodymium disc magnets in them. As ND magnets are conductive, it would have been an elegant solution to connecting things. Except ND magnets are so strong, they'll pull themselves out of any mount I can design. :< I'm playing with some ideas right now, but any suggestions would be helpful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tamir Lenk
Nov 25, 2009

Just about ready for the test run at Wizard World this weekend. Here's a clip of the ~magic~ . . .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wQ41w3JwBTA

:golf: