Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ryanbruce
May 1, 2002

The "Dell Dude"

Cage posted:

So my data only gets used when google maps downloads the map as I move along and zoom in and such? It makes so much sense but I didn't think of that, it's not like Garmin GPS have data lines.

Thanks for the tip, I will look into it!

They literally mean go to Google maps and download offline maps for where you're going.

If you're using a newer version of maps, you'll see offline areas over on the left side slide out menu.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
Yep already got a good portion of it downloaded, it's about 440mb but there's a lot of extra map I wouldn't be using anyway. I might still go old school map style and just use GPS for finding restaurants and such. Thanks guys!

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
Does anyone know if Sprint is going to greenlight me converting my single line SERO plan over to a two line SERO so I can get my wife on the same plan; or will combining our cell phone bill mean that I'll have to finally give up SERO?

If I have to give up SERO, should I bother staying with Sprint or just go get something with Verizon or whatever? I have absolutely no brand loyalty here and am just looking for cheapest/best deals.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
You almost certainly won't get a second SERO plan. But honestly there are enough deals out there for shared plans that it's worth looking around. I'll stick with SERO as long as I can because I like not worrying about data, but now that most plans include unlimited texting and I never use minutes, the value isn't what it was ten years ago.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

You could see about buying a SERO plan off a user looking to jump to another carrier. Thats the only way to get a SERO plan these days.

Unlike more modern "Unlimited" Data plans, SERO has been great as I have never heard a peep from Sprint on my Usage and I hope it stays that way. No other plan looks to offer near the value for what I get with SERO. The only bummer is the Limited Sprint device selection, but with Nexus phones being what they are not, its not as terrible as it could be.

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre
I've been working from my home office a bit, and for the first time went over my SERO 500 minutes due to conference calls and the like. I found that I can use WiFi calling with no issues which uses no minutes so I thought I'd post about that in case someone else falls into the same issue. If I had known, it would have saved me $50.

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

Stand down, men! It's only smooching!

I'm in the Bay Area of California, and my iPhone 6 Plus and Sprint have started not playing very nice together. Are there any recommended devices to maximize speediness on the sprint network or whatever? I recognize the phone just might be getting old and it could be a hardware issue, but it seems to have a real problem locking in to the network again if it loses it.

I was actually considering ditching sprint because I've been paying way too much for way too little but I checked my current rate and I am FINALLY, FINALLY only paying 100 a month for unlimited data and text and calls after getting through the payment plans on headphones and crap they pushed on me last time, and I still have another device that I can drop off to get that down by another $15 or so beginning of next year. So it looks like I'm staying.

On that note does anyone have any advice on how to get a new device and keep my rate without getting another tablet i don't want pushed on me for a 2 year contract when I try to get a new phone?

WoG
Jul 13, 2004

Quidnose posted:

... after getting through the payment plans on headphones and crap they pushed on me last time, and I still have another device that I can drop off to get that down by another $15 or so beginning of next year. So it looks like I'm staying.

On that note does anyone have any advice on how to get a new device and keep my rate without getting another tablet i don't want pushed on me for a 2 year contract when I try to get a new phone?

Well, perhaps just say 'no' to all that crap?

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

Stand down, men! It's only smooching!

I mean maybe someone who works at Sprint can chime in but they the last two times have told me "I can only give you the 100 dollar base rate if you take the tablet cause that's our deal right now."

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
:byewhore:

My contract expired today and now I have a Google Fi sim card on the way.

Karma Comedian
Feb 2, 2012

I might have a chance to move to a verizon retailer!

BYE SPRINT

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
You guys are weird.

SERO owns.

Karma Comedian
Feb 2, 2012

SERO does own.

But selling sprint as a career decidedly doesn't own.

ryanbruce
May 1, 2002

The "Dell Dude"
SERO really only owns if you use more than six gigs of data a month.

Otherwise, the T-Mobile nerd plan is cheaper! I had poo poo experiences roaming with Sprint and their coverage isn't too much better in Oregon than Tmo at this point

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
Turns out they had no problem adding another SERO line to my account, just couldn't get it on a contract and had to do the lease/buy phone option thing. Go figure.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Wizard of Smart posted:

But selling sprint as a career decidedly doesn't own.

This Is the truth right here.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Dameius posted:

Turns out they had no problem adding another SERO line to my account, just couldn't get it on a contract and had to do the lease/buy phone option thing. Go figure.

This is interesting to me... Could you expand on the process on how you got them to agree to another New Sero plan? Are you on the $50 one (+$10 4G of course)

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

EdEddnEddy posted:

This is interesting to me... Could you expand on the process on how you got them to agree to another New Sero plan? Are you on the $50 one (+$10 4G of course)

Yes I am, and I did literally no convincing. They added the extra line on SERO rates as the default action. They just refused to do a phone on contract for the second line. A friend works for Nextel and he was saying that they got marching orders from Sprint to aggressively get people off contracts and to push lease/rent-to-own hard so that doesn't surprise me.

When I get home tonight I will check out my account, since it has been a few days to make sure everything was actually set up the way it was supposed to be, and I will let you know if they kept it the way it was when I walked out of the store.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

What are the pros and cons of the whole "lease your phone" thing? I'm "eligible" for a new phone but it looks like leasing is my only option. I've heard rumors that contracts won't even show up as an option anymore unless you ask, and it's 24 months strict nowadays.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Medullah posted:

What are the pros and cons of the whole "lease your phone" thing? I'm "eligible" for a new phone but it looks like leasing is my only option. I've heard rumors that contracts won't even show up as an option anymore unless you ask, and it's 24 months strict nowadays.

You never own the phone so you pay in perpetuity. Also, if you either break the phone or want to leave Cancellation's and buyouts are higher.

Karma Comedian
Feb 2, 2012

Duckman2008 posted:

You never own the phone so you pay in perpetuity. Also, if you either break the phone or want to leave Cancellation's and buyouts are higher.

Welllllll that's not quite right. Lease payments are lower than installment payments with the understanding that you're only paying around 80% of the retail of the phone. There's an option to buy at the end of the lease for what's left of the retail cost.

Karma Comedian fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Jul 19, 2016

Alfalfa
Apr 24, 2003

Superman Don't Need No Seat Belt
I can't figure out if this is a Sprint thing or iPhone 6s thing.

I recently switched over to Sprint and iPhone 6s from AT&T and iPhone 6 and my caller id when I receive calls is all messed up.

When my phone rings (and it isn't someone in my contact list) it never shows the number but instead only shows the city, state where the phone number is from.

How can I chance this to show the actual number with location underneath it? This is how my AT&T iPhone displayed caller id.

td4guy
Jun 13, 2005

I always hated that guy.

Dameius posted:

Did they make you get the $60 SERO with unlimited minutes? Or did you get the SERO Premium 500 for $40+$10?

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

td4guy posted:

Did they make you get the $60 SERO with unlimited minutes? Or did you get the SERO Premium 500 for $40+$10?

$40+$10

CombatCupcake
Oct 20, 2005
So I'm still on old school $40+$10 SERO/EPRP
I haven't used my upgrade since I bought my last phone on ebay (HTC M8).
Looking to get the HTC 10, contract option for $249
But its telling me: Estimated taxes $44.56
What in the hell is this nonsense? My plan right now comes out to $59/mon, so like $9 for the extra taxes/fees. Where is this $44 coming from? thats insane. It doesn't tell me anymore info than that at all!
Is this just an estimated amount and my plan will still be the same $59/mon?

ryanbruce
May 1, 2002

The "Dell Dude"

CombatCupcake posted:

So I'm still on old school $40+$10 SERO/EPRP
I haven't used my upgrade since I bought my last phone on ebay (HTC M8).
Looking to get the HTC 10, contract option for $249
But its telling me: Estimated taxes $44.56
What in the hell is this nonsense? My plan right now comes out to $59/mon, so like $9 for the extra taxes/fees. Where is this $44 coming from? thats insane. It doesn't tell me anymore info than that at all!
Is this just an estimated amount and my plan will still be the same $59/mon?

Sales tax maybe?

CombatCupcake
Oct 20, 2005

ryanbruce posted:

Sales tax maybe?

Sales tax would be 8.5%, $21

McPhearson
Aug 4, 2007

Hot Damn!

In California and a few other places when you buy a subsidized phone you have to pay sales tax on the full, unsubsidized price. It's probably that.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

I've had a good run on Sprint with an oldskool SERO plan, but my contract is up this Saturday and I'll be switching to Project Fi. Is selling SERO plans and doing a TOL still a thing, especially if I want to port my number?

CombatCupcake
Oct 20, 2005

McPhearson posted:

In California and a few other places when you buy a subsidized phone you have to pay sales tax on the full, unsubsidized price. It's probably that.

That makes sense. But the tax would be around $53. so thats too high

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre

CombatCupcake posted:

That's why it's an estimate.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

CombatCupcake posted:

That is the disadvantage of purchasing a discount phone. The only time you get around that tax is if the phone ends up being Free I believe. Same issue with my parents when they upgrade to a discount phone on Verizon. Gotta love CA. :v:

Outside of that, the HTC 10 is a fantastic phone on sprint so enjoy it when you get it. :)

CombatCupcake
Oct 20, 2005

EdEddnEddy posted:

That is the disadvantage of purchasing a discount phone. The only time you get around that tax is if the phone ends up being Free I believe. Same issue with my parents when they upgrade to a discount phone on Verizon. Gotta love CA. :v:

Outside of that, the HTC 10 is a fantastic phone on sprint so enjoy it when you get it. :)
Thanks
Asked a friend who just got it (not on Sprint), said he got stuck paying a big tax too.
Oh well, as long as its not adding anything monthly I'll deal. I think I can even still use the mail-in-rebate. It seems like upgrades do count
If anyone wants: https://www.sprint.com/global/pdf/ebrochures/rebate_brochure.pdf

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

The on device boomsound speaker setup is a step down from the front facing setup of the M7-M9, but make sure you plug in to some good headphones or other speaker's. The Devices AMP really kicks out some amazing sound that my 6P cannot compete with, hell no device currently out can compete (the V10 gets close but it remains in 2nd place).

CombatCupcake
Oct 20, 2005

EdEddnEddy posted:

The on device boomsound speaker setup is a step down from the front facing setup of the M7-M9, but make sure you plug in to some good headphones or other speaker's. The Devices AMP really kicks out some amazing sound that my 6P cannot compete with, hell no device currently out can compete (the V10 gets close but it remains in 2nd place).

I never use the speakers for music. I have a nice set of UE TripleFi. so cant wait for that! I do think its really odd why they switched the audio jack to the top, such odd placement. On the bottom, next to USB like on the M8 was perfect. Now you'd need a wire coming from the top and another from the bottom, and your headphone cable hangs awkwardly. Bad design.
And they keep switching around where the power button is, also odd choices.
I've been super happy with the M8, just been a little slow and battery seems to be on its way out.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

I actually like the headphones at the top but I agree that it can get a bit odd when you have cables on both ends.

Also don't skip the headphone setup when you first plug in the headphones. That does make thing sound even better as it test your hearing to maximize what range you can actually hear at certain volume levels, etc. (You can of course skip it and do it anytime later) it also identifies each thing you plug in so it saves sound profiles depending on what device you plugged in. Its pretty sweet.

Also I agree. Side Power buttons literally are the stupidest design and I have no idea how they are popular. HTC with the button at the top made perfect sense and is much less likely to be accidentally pressed and LG had it best IMO with the rear buttons on the G2, G3, G4, V10, etc. Having no buttons on the edge at all made the device nearly impossible to accidentally press anything when you were just trying to get the phone out of your pocket. My 6P is the biggest offender with its feather press power button right in the middle of the side of the device.

The HTC 10's button at least has some resistance so you will accidentally press it less, but its still, there...

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Wilford Cutlery posted:

I've had a good run on Sprint with an oldskool SERO plan, but my contract is up this Saturday and I'll be switching to Project Fi. Is selling SERO plans and doing a TOL still a thing, especially if I want to port my number?

Anyone know?

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Pretty sure you can only trade your line to someone who already has SERO as an added line. Though I heard rumors they got rid of even that.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Medullah posted:

Pretty sure you can only trade your line to someone who already has SERO as an added line. Though I heard rumors they got rid of even that.

Yea but then Mr. SERO up above was able to add another SERO line to his without hassle without a trade.. So what the hell is really going on?

IF I could add the family onto SERO drat I may have to do just that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Revitalized
Sep 13, 2007

A free custom title is a free custom title

Lipstick Apathy
Speaking of SERO...

http://www.sprintusers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=241532

Is this the end of SERO Premium 500 as we know it!?