Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

I'm in the part where Caius tells you to go gently caress off for a while and it's just endless fetch quests for factions.

Morrowind feels grindy in a way that Oblivion and Skyrim doesn't.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

axolotl farmer posted:

I'm in the part where Caius tells you to go gently caress off for a while and it's just endless fetch quests for factions.

In general I think if you just talk to him again right away he'll give you the quest again, but there's a couple of times he makes you hit a certain level first. I'm not having any trouble with that because I've made bank off of dark brotherhood assassins.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

At first I felt guilty I was just buying my way into god-like power, but I don't even care anymore. I am invincible now.

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Why walk when you can ride?

GorfZaplen posted:

I wonder why Balmora is always such a focal point to Morrowind, when reminiscing about the game with friends it always comes up, and there were so many mods set there that they compiled them into packs. Is it because it's (probably) the first real town you see, the city that introduces you to the world of Morrowind? I can't really imagine anything else because it's a pretty boring place compared to just about anywhere else

Balmora is where you go first, so everyone has weird stories about it. Also the mage guild quests are hilarious because they're screwing with the outlander who just joined.

Guildenstern Mother fucked around with this message at 09:03 on Jul 27, 2016

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Why walk when you can ride?

axolotl farmer posted:

Maybe you should not be a lvl one scrub? Go do poo poo.

radintorov
Feb 18, 2011

GorfZaplen posted:

In general I think if you just talk to him again right away he'll give you the quest again, but there's a couple of times he makes you hit a certain level first. I'm not having any trouble with that because I've made bank off of dark brotherhood assassins.
Correct: the first time Caius will tell the player to go and do stuff if he's below level 4, but it's possible to ask him for Orders again and he will give him the next quest.
The one time I think he requires you to be of a minimum level to proceed has the requirement be level 3 and by that point the player should be way past that threshold.

i am tim!
Jan 5, 2005

God damn it, where are my ant keys?! I'm gonna miss my flight!

GorfZaplen posted:

I don't know whether the Morrowind Mage's Guild quests are brilliant or terrible.

What makes the Morrowind Mages Guild great is Arch-Mage Trebonious and his bullshit quests. The entire Mage Guild will tell you about how he's a buffoon who got the job for political reasons, and everybody in the Vivec chapter will tell you about the dumbass impossible tasks he hands out like "Make another Numidium" or "Build a tunnel to Cyrodiil to avoid Telvanni spies". He's built up to be so full of poo poo that for the longest time I thought his "Disappearance of the Dwarves" quest was just more flavour put in to build on the idea.

I had no clue that it could even be completed until a few years ago.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

i am tim! posted:

What makes the Morrowind Mages Guild great is Arch-Mage Trebonious and his bullshit quests. The entire Mage Guild will tell you about how he's a buffoon who got the job for political reasons, and everybody in the Vivec chapter will tell you about the dumbass impossible tasks he hands out like "Make another Numidium" or "Build a tunnel to Cyrodiil to avoid Telvanni spies". He's built up to be so full of poo poo that for the longest time I thought his "Disappearance of the Dwarves" quest was just more flavour put in to build on the idea.

I had no clue that it could even be completed until a few years ago.

he's very surprised when you come back with all these ancient texts and have an answer to it

i am tim!
Jan 5, 2005

Not nearly as surprised as when I came back with a platter of heads! Actually, what happens if you get that quest and are one of the heads he wants?

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006

axolotl farmer posted:

Once you get to a certain level of knowledge with Morrowind it's as grindy as you want it to be, up to and including blasting through the main quest in like 15 minutes and trapping the soul of Vivec himself to make a sweet cape or whatever. Enhance your CHIM, grindlord.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

GorfZaplen posted:

I wonder why Balmora is always such a focal point to Morrowind, when reminiscing about the game with friends it always comes up, and there were so many mods set there that they compiled them into packs. Is it because it's (probably) the first real town you see, the city that introduces you to the world of Morrowind? I can't really imagine anything else because it's a pretty boring place compared to just about anywhere else

Very interesting design and first full fledged town you really visit, that's about it.

Also I'm not really sure I want FO4 settlement building in TES6, even though I love it in FO4 and most of my single 200+ hour save is probably me loving around building my own water baron empire and fussing over making villages everywhere.

kazr
Jan 28, 2005

Speaking of Balmora and it being way awesome as well as the first city you logically come across, does anyone know of an alternative start mod that's pretty decent that starts you in the north east mushroom village area? Something I've always wanted to do but might just save my first play through of open Morrowind for

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)

Berke Negri posted:

Very interesting design and first full fledged town you really visit, that's about it.

Also I'm not really sure I want FO4 settlement building in TES6, even though I love it in FO4 and most of my single 200+ hour save is probably me loving around building my own water baron empire and fussing over making villages everywhere.

It's gotta have improvements, I flunked out of the Vault-Tec DLC because my creativity was dying.

I do think it'd be great as one of the factions, though. Either like I said before, Bethesda tries once more at what they did with the Civil War and attempts to make it a second Main Quest behind the 'primary' one, or it's just a regular faction where the player has agency. It could function really well as, say, an East Empire Company questline where they're trying to establish trading outposts throughout a province.

And it'd be improved if, instead of having to build each building by hand, you could either do that or place full buildings that function with interior cells. Like place a pre-made blacksmith. And then get applicants or something with full names, different races, and maybe even a generic personality. Like a bitter old Nord or a too happy Breton. None of this 'settler' crap.

But they need to make it deeper and more accessible. Deeper, in that if a player really wants to role play a certain settlement he can (colonizing Imperials for example vs. native fortress), but more accessible in just more understanding. I hated having to place every single decoration for a building. Just let us place houses and shops and temples and such.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

If there are settlements in TES6, they need to expand on how it can interact with the rest of the world. Maybe just have a handful of locations, but they can be much larger, like cities proper (well, cities for TES, you know). You could even start to put down outposts for them throughout the world, or build up the guilds in it.

i am tim!
Jan 5, 2005

Shab posted:

Once you get to a certain level of knowledge with Morrowind it's as grindy as you want it to be, up to and including blasting through the main quest in like 15 minutes and trapping the soul of Vivec himself to make a sweet cape or whatever. Enhance your CHIM, grindlord.

Morrowind is super grindy, but it's also chock-full of tricks and design oversights to the point that within an hour or two of starting a new game I can be at level 10 with 3x5 stat development the whole way. This requires a lot of very specific knowledge, and while Morrowind makes it on my short list of "Favorite Video Games" a lot of that has to do with the fact that I played it enough in Highschool that I know how to make the game mechanics bend over backwards and cluck like a chicken for my amusement.

EDIT: Why are people talking about settlements in TES6?

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
I think people want to have some impact on the game world, and settlements is a good way of doing that.

hannibal
Jul 27, 2001

[img-planes]

kazr posted:

Speaking of Balmora and it being way awesome as well as the first city you logically come across, does anyone know of an alternative start mod that's pretty decent that starts you in the north east mushroom village area? Something I've always wanted to do but might just save my first play through of open Morrowind for

If you use silt striders and the boats it's pretty easy to get up that way at the beginning. You could talk to Caius and get the main quest started then make your way up there.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.
Because Bethesda's Fallout and TES build on each other, and settlements would be an appropriate follow-up to Heartstone's house customizing.

GuyUpNorth
Apr 29, 2014

Witty phrases on random basis
And certain other Bethesda game has just released two thirds of its new content towards building stuff.

i am tim!
Jan 5, 2005

Yeah, I'd love to have Fallout 4's settlement system for building a home over what we got with Hearthstone. I'd probably roll my eyes if they flatout had building settlements in the next Elder Scrolls game unless the mechanics were re-purposed to being about building fortifications for an advancing army. Like, imagine if that's what the Civil War gameplay was like for Skyrim! You're not just capturing these forts and then walking away from them, you're directing their reconstruction and fortification so that they can fend off waves of enemies. gently caress it up and you'll need to go back and defend or recapture those forts.

That said I'm still keeping my fingers crossed that TES6 will be set in Valenwood, that it's about a Wild Hunt being called, and that the central mechanic will involve the player being able to shift while attaining new forms to shift into from slaying other monsters of the wild hunt. That would be badass.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
Well, actually,

it was called Hearthfire.

Orv
May 4, 2011

i am tim! posted:

Yeah, I'd love to have Fallout 4's settlement system for building a home over what we got with Hearthstone. I'd probably roll my eyes if they flatout had building settlements in the next Elder Scrolls game unless the mechanics were re-purposed to being about building fortifications for an advancing army. Like, imagine if that's what the Civil War gameplay was like for Skyrim! You're not just capturing these forts and then walking away from them, you're directing their reconstruction and fortification so that they can fend off waves of enemies. gently caress it up and you'll need to go back and defend or recapture those forts.

That said I'm still keeping my fingers crossed that TES6 will be set in Valenwood, that it's about a Wild Hunt being called, and that the central mechanic will involve the player being able to shift while attaining new forms to shift into from slaying other monsters of the wild hunt. That would be badass.

And then the attacking armies are four dudes who you are twenty levels higher than and get beaten to death by the bare-fisted villagers.

Or more likely the ten archers you paid 1,000 gold each for that never move or animate until an enemy comes into their line of fire.

Orv fucked around with this message at 15:19 on Jul 28, 2016

mitochondritom
Oct 3, 2010

i am tim! posted:

I think if the people at Bethesda have any sense, they will avoid anything to do with a "Wild Hunt", even if they did it first.

http://thewitcher.com/en/witcher3

i am tim!
Jan 5, 2005

mitochondritom posted:

I think if the people at Bethesda have any sense, they will avoid anything to do with a "Wild Hunt", even if they did it first.

http://thewitcher.com/en/witcher3

Dang, there go my dreams of playing a game where i get to be a mishmash crabdogdeer monster.

mitochondritom
Oct 3, 2010

i am tim! posted:

Dang, there go my dreams of playing a game where i get to be a mishmash crabdogdeer monster.

Well Bethesda have shown that they aren't above gutting the "lore" to fit whatever they want to put in the game. So the Wild Hunt could be renamed or something similar. I wonder if they will go somewhere not in the Online spin off (so Akavir) so as not to step on its toes.

Orv
May 4, 2011
The Wild Hunt is a significantly older thing than video games, and Bethesda isn't exactly above just copy pasting folk lore whenever they need to flesh a corner of Tamriel out.

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

mitochondritom posted:

Well Bethesda have shown that they aren't above gutting the "lore" to fit whatever they want to put in the game. So the Wild Hunt could be renamed or something similar. I wonder if they will go somewhere not in the Online spin off (so Akavir) so as not to step on its toes.

Bethesda should give zero fucks about Online. It's a spinoff most of the fanbase has not played, I expect.

Online follows, not leads.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

Orv posted:

The Wild Hunt is a significantly older thing than video games, and Bethesda isn't exactly above just copy pasting folk lore whenever they need to flesh a corner of Tamriel out.

Valenwood's Wild Hunt is different from the traditional concept, but Hircine's Wild Hunt is exactly the standard version.

Instead of being spirits on a "formal" hunt, the Wood Elves conduct a ritual to transform themselves into a massive horde of ravenous animals and monsters that strips regions of Valenwood of non-plant life. It's a deliberate act of desperation and spite, when they feel backed into a corner.

http://www.uesp.net/wiki/Lore:Wild_Hunt

Orv
May 4, 2011
That figures, fuckin' weird Bosmer.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
"We don't want to kill plants! That'd be disgusting! Let's make bowstrings out of people instead and ritually eat their flesh instead!"

As always, gently caress Elves.

i am tim!
Jan 5, 2005

It's be perfectly set up if it happened in TES6, given what we hear about how the Thalmor are treating the Wood Elves at large. I could see a cabal of Y'ffre cultists launching a Wild Hunt to try and drive out everyone else, and it would fill the world with crazy rear end monsters for Bethesda to underwhelmingly render!

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

Tasteful Dickpic posted:

"We don't want to kill plants! That'd be disgusting! Let's make bowstrings out of people instead and ritually eat their flesh instead!"

And also trick foreigners into being cannibals. http://www.uesp.net/wiki/Lore:A_Dance_in_Fire,_Chapter_7

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Schubalts posted:

And also trick foreigners into being cannibals. http://www.uesp.net/wiki/Lore:A_Dance_in_Fire,_Chapter_7

As a proud dunmer I applaud our woodland brothers :telvanni:

i am tim!
Jan 5, 2005

Schubalts posted:

Valenwood's Wild Hunt is different from the traditional concept, but Hircine's Wild Hunt is exactly the standard version.

Instead of being spirits on a "formal" hunt, the Wood Elves conduct a ritual to transform themselves into a massive horde of ravenous animals and monsters that strips regions of Valenwood of non-plant life. It's a deliberate act of desperation and spite, when they feel backed into a corner.

http://www.uesp.net/wiki/Lore:Wild_Hunt

Side effects may include endless mindless rage, creating hagravens, and becoming High King of Skyrim.

TresTristesTigres
Feb 14, 2013

Posts from UnDeR9R0Und

Orv posted:

And then the attacking armies are four dudes who you are twenty levels higher than and get beaten to death by the bare-fisted villagers.

Or more likely the ten archers you paid 1,000 gold each for that never move or animate until an enemy comes into their line of fire.

I would accept this, as long as Bethesda allows me to appoint M'aiq as the village hetman.

"This one has heard of another settlement that needs your help. But it is too far away, and you are a busy individual, so M'aiq pretends he heard nothing."

GuyUpNorth
Apr 29, 2014

Witty phrases on random basis
As another Dunmer, I applaud any outlanders loving up other outlanders. Doubly so if targets are the s'wits of Summerset Isle.

When it comes to Hearthfire, I honestly wish Bethesda scrap it entirely and go back to Morrowind model of strongholds with maybe some customization. That allows unique style instead of same basic components for everything.

GuyUpNorth fucked around with this message at 00:15 on Jul 29, 2016

ambient oatmeal
Jun 23, 2012

GuyUpNorth posted:

As another Dunmer, I applaud any outlanders loving up other outlanders. Doubly so if targets are the s'wits of Summerset Isle.

When it comes to Hearthfire, I honestly wish Bethesda scrap it entirely and go back to Morrowind model of strongholds with maybe some customization. That allows unique style instead of same basic components for everything.

It'd be really nice if they went back to the Morrowind style of architecture, where it's regional and political stuff that define the type of house instead of each city being one style.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
How do you go about topping dragons, vikings, and loud shouting? From a broad appeal perspective, that is.

I suspect the conversation at Bethesda is revolving around that line of thought before anything else happens with ES.

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

You pretty much don't, but I don't think that's a concern. People will buy the next TES just because it's the next TES (see: Fallout 4). The franchise has established broad appeal itself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Replaying Oblivion and I forgot how broken the leveling system is. Enemy power scales so far above yours if you don't actively minmax. I'm playing a Spellsword so my stats always get split between Strength and Willpower. Probably would have had a better time with a custom class or a pure mage class, but oh well, it was something different.

Aside from the wonky leveling, I still like the game. I do like the class based system in certain ways because it give me a framework for skill distribution, although I could still do the same thing in Skyrim if I wanted to. I never actually did much side questing in Oblivion, so it's been fun to traipse around in the wilderness for a few hours with graphics mods.