Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Walton Simons
May 16, 2010

ELECTRONIC OLD MEN RUNNING THE WORLD

Thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

yolandi
Jul 3, 2014

To the :c00l:
If I want to play ETS2 on a different machine how do I get my profile over?

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
C:\Users\YOUR NAME\Documents\Euro Truck Simulator 2\profiles

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Let's get a little crazy. Let's have some fun.
Oh wow, I thought ATS was solid enough but, yes, the scaling was a bit weird, as were the Interstate not-interchanges. Even if it takes them a little time it's a good move.

WirelessPillow
Jan 12, 2012

Look Ma, no wires!
Turns out driving near merging lanes is dangerous.
https://gfycat.com/TidyFrequentAiredale

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
I had a very close call with something similar just yesterday as I was driving home from work. I don't know if I should be enamoured or enraged that they model people not loving looking when they loving change lanes even though it's loving plain to see there's a loving car right loving there rear end in a top hat!

Bill Posters
Apr 27, 2007

I'm tripping right now... Don't fuck this up for me.

WirelessPillow posted:

If you refuse to just get the gently caress out of the way and let people merge, then yeah, sure.

Eh! Frank
Mar 28, 2006

Doctor gave me these, I said what are these?
He said that they'll cure an existential type disease
I was amazed to see two AI cars do that to each other a while back in ETS2. Two cars were driving in lanes side-by-side, they came to a merge but neither yielded and they ended up crashing into each other and coming to a complete stop. I happened to be a very short distance behind them at the time and it was so unexpected I didn't have time to brake when they stopped, so I ended up crashing into them as well. Wasn't expecting the AI to be as dumb as actual drivers.

WirelessPillow
Jan 12, 2012

Look Ma, no wires!

Bill Posters posted:

If you refuse to just get the gently caress out of the way and let people merge, then yeah, sure.

Someone made it clear I was a dick about not moving out of the way and that is fine, but I did not see the indicator was on until I was next to him at which point he should slow down, not barrel into me.

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Goddammit this Cello is way out of tune!

WirelessPillow posted:

Someone made it clear I was a dick about not moving out of the way and that is fine, but I did not see the indicator was on until I was next to him at which point he should slow down, not barrel into me.

The AI seems to use the turn signal only the second when they are going to turn. Not letting you know ahead of time.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
e: ^^ As an inverse I was AMAZED when I had my signal on and an AI actually backed off and let me over into the lane.

Maybe it's an American thing but merge lanes yield to those currently on the highway. Yes, you might be rude not letting them on when you could easily get over into a perfectly clear lane, but at absolutely no point are you required or even supposed to.

Bill Posters
Apr 27, 2007

IAmTheRad posted:

The AI seems to use the turn signal only the second when they are going to turn. Not letting you know ahead of time.

Unfortunately this seems pretty realistic from my experience.

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽

WirelessPillow posted:

Sometimes I wish I drove a semi so I could do that in real life.

Bill Posters
Apr 27, 2007

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

Maybe it's an American thing but merge lanes yield to those currently on the highway. Yes, you might be rude not letting them on when you could easily get over into a perfectly clear lane, but at absolutely no point are you required or even supposed to.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uQl5aYhkF3E

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
A true patriot! :911:

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

WOULD YOU ACCOMPANY ME ON A BRISK WALK? I WOULD LIKE TO SPEAK WITH YOU!!

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

e: ^^ As an inverse I was AMAZED when I had my signal on and an AI actually backed off and let me over into the lane.

Law or not you're an utter cockbag for not moving over when someone's trying to merge, and (i know it's a video game but in principle outside of it) you're a bad inattentive driver for not realizing it even without the signal. I am using a generic "you" here not you specifically.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

shortspecialbus posted:

Law or not you're an utter cockbag for not moving over when someone's trying to merge, and (i know it's a video game but in principle outside of it) you're a bad inattentive driver for not realizing it even without the signal. I am using a generic "you" here not you specifically.

The converse of this is more infuriating when someone rocking 10mph under the speed limit lazily merges into the left lane in front of you to "be nice" to the driver merging onto the highway. If you're at or near the speed of traffic and the left/middle lane is clear, be my guest.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
Yeah, I usually move over if the lane's free but it's rarely a problem I face since I'm always leftmost lane doing 10 over.

I've also been behind people who don't use the onramp to speed up so they get to the merge lane going under the minimum and then can't merge so they stop completely.

I will die in my car.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

Yeah, I usually move over if the lane's free but it's rarely a problem I face since I'm always leftmost lane doing 10 over.

I've also been behind people who don't use the onramp to speed up so they get to the merge lane going under the minimum and then can't merge so they stop completely.

I will die in my car.

I'm right there with you. My commute is on a 4 lane divided highway with frontage roads. It's bad enough that the frontage "feels" like its a 30mph road by appearance. It's 40, and when you're merged into the exit ramp/on ramp lane, you should be at 40 and accelerating to 55. This never happens and people hit the fairly busy highway at 40-45 half the time. Sometimes to get immediately back off just so they could dodge a light on the frontage. Luckily everyone enjoys their half-mile comfort zone of other cars so merging never happens. I'm sure people must be screaming at me, the absolute speed demon, slipping between two adequately spaced cars at 55 before later moving into the other lane and going a whole 60.

Also it's the only area in my region that I've seen with this frontage road set up and there are a few spots where if you aren't paying attention, you can "miss" your exit. It's not a big deal (circle to the other frontage!) and even living here I've done it a few times but further confuses drivers at times.

On topic, what is the DLC schedule/outlook for American truck sim? I've been playing other games recently and haven't heard about any new dlcs or major feature patches other than the eventually rescale.

Sadly I'm just not as into Euro truck once I got the oversized Peterbuilts and Kenworth's so France dlc has done nothing to spark my interest.

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

I will die in my car.

Alternatively if everyone follows the letter of the law and is like "oh i don't have to move over because some shitbrain in the left lane will be mad at me and the law says I don't have to yield" then in heavy traffic TONS of people will be stopping in onramps and merge lanes because they won't have a choice.

If someone needs to move left so someone can merge and you have to slow down in the left lane, suck it up. (Again, generic 'you' here.)

WirelessPillow
Jan 12, 2012

Look Ma, no wires!

shortspecialbus posted:

Alternatively if everyone follows the letter of the law and is like "oh i don't have to move over because some shitbrain in the left lane will be mad at me and the law says I don't have to yield" then in heavy traffic TONS of people will be stopping in onramps and merge lanes because they won't have a choice.

If someone needs to move left so someone can merge and you have to slow down in the left lane, suck it up. (Again, generic 'you' here.)

In my own defense I don't actually have a drivers license and am learning these things in the game.

Largepotato
Jan 18, 2007

Spurd.

Panch posted:

On topic, what is the DLC schedule/outlook for American truck sim? I've been playing other games recently and haven't heard about any new dlcs or major feature patches other than the eventually rescale.

Sadly I'm just not as into Euro truck once I got the oversized Peterbuilts and Kenworth's so France dlc has done nothing to spark my interest.

New Mexico/Texas is next DLC map, then Oregon/Washington.

I'm guessing the rescale has delayed the release of them though.

yolandi
Jul 3, 2014

To the :c00l:
Aw poo poo wrong thread. I got a new PC and finally have the juice to load up on lights.

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

I have NEVER received the respect I deserve as the leader and founder of The Masterflock, the internet's largest and oldest Christopher Masterpiece fan group in all of history, and I DEMAND that changes. From now on, you will respect Skinty McEdger!

Largepotato posted:

New Mexico/Texas is next DLC map, then Oregon/Washington.

I'm guessing the rescale has delayed the release of them though.

Yeah the rescale is going to be the first thing completed and has to be done so before they can release the next dlc (which will be at the new scaling from the start). The set up they have now is that their new recruit map makers are working on the rescale while the existing guys are working on the next dlc maps. Eventually this means that they will have two map making teams going forward which will pick up the pace of updates next year.

Don't read the comments on the SCS blog about this by the way. There are people mad about the rescale and arguing tat more road isn't necessary - that instead they should be focusing on essential stuff like having to get out your truck to fill up your gas tank.

Nottherealaborn
Nov 12, 2012

Skinty McEdger posted:

Yeah the rescale is going to be the first thing completed and has to be done so before they can release the next dlc (which will be at the new scaling from the start). The set up they have now is that their new recruit map makers are working on the rescale while the existing guys are working on the next dlc maps. Eventually this means that they will have two map making teams going forward which will pick up the pace of updates next year.

Don't read the comments on the SCS blog about this by the way. There are people mad about the rescale and arguing tat more road isn't necessary - that instead they should be focusing on essential stuff like having to get out your truck to fill up your gas tank.

Oh man that would be so cool. And also you could get out and manually sign your contracts and go to the bank to sign loans. And manually cry at the desk a few months later when the bank takes your truck and you go bankrupt.

Why do people want to ruin games with stupid poo poo like that?

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
When do we get the Lot Lizards DLC?

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.
Except for Pokemon, Valkyria Chronicles and 100% OJ.

That's right after they patch in the Truckstop Lemonaide minigame.

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
It would be sort of cool if they added some minor life simulator stuff to make the economics be a bit more complicated. Like you have to go to a home once a week or so and 'sleep' for a day or two or you go insane.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

While some level of detail in minutia would be fun, I think first they should look inward instead of outward about the core simulation.

Slowly but surely they've improved the base simulation, but it would be awesome to see more realistic clutch/transmission behavior, more specific and varied failures (flat tires, etc) that aren't just a general "engine stalled!"

God knows if I shifted in my car like I do sometimes in truck sim I would have completely burned out my clutch or transmission by now. Granted I do not understand the real life differences between a manual gasoline sedan and a huge 18 wheeler with 18 gears and diesel beyond "there are way more, narrow gears and try to match revs." (If anyone has a guide that explains it from that perspective it would be a cool read!) Though this also may be a limitation of input hardware that gives you no physical feedback like a clutch and stick do.

And the nice thing about the features they've already added to this end is they're toggle able, so you can have your annoying "I can't get this heavy rear end thing in gear up hill" all the way to your "gas is go" level difficulty.

ManicJason
Oct 27, 2003

He doesn't really stop the puck, but he scares the hell out of the other team.
I could talk for hours about transmission simulating in games, but the bottom line is that doing anything much more realistic gets frustrating fast with no physical feedback. See: every racing game that has ever had a stalling mechanic. The stalling in ATS is bad enough, but they did make it a bit more realistic in a recent patch. It's kind of silly that you could dump the clutch in low gear while bobtailing and kill the engine.

I kind of wish you had to hop out of the cab to raise the landing gear and attach the hoses, but I'm probably alone in that. Hell, the hoses don't even connect in game.

I do love the advanced trailer coupling, how you have to actually hit the king pin and can give it a little tug forward before the brake lines are hooked up.

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

WirelessPillow posted:

In my own defense I don't actually have a drivers license and am learning these things in the game.

Protip: do not learn about driving from video games. I'm a really aggressive driver and even I'm really good about letting people merge. Not doing that just causes a gigantic mess on the road and tons of accidents when someone is forced to slam on their brakes. That's one of the reasons that texting and being on the phone is such a huge problem - you don't notice people trying to merge and cause huge loving problems. Some people are way too "I DON'T HAVE TO SLOW DOWN OR MOVE OVER FOR THEM" and one guy actually sped up to try to run my wife off the road when she was trying to merge onto the beltline in Madison, since she decided her best course was to accelerate past him as she had a bit of a lead on him. I was behind her and watched the whole thing and the guy tried to run her into a concrete barrier. He could have moved left at any point, there was nothing in the lane, or he could have just held speed and she'd have gotten in a couple car lengths in front of him just fine, but no, he had to prove some stupid loving point and try to kill my wife. gently caress people who don't let others merge when they're out of room.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

ManicJason posted:

I could talk for hours about transmission simulating in games, but the bottom line is that doing anything much more realistic gets frustrating fast with no physical feedback. See: every racing game that has ever had a stalling mechanic. The stalling in ATS is bad enough, but they did make it a bit more realistic in a recent patch. It's kind of silly that you could dump the clutch in low gear while bobtailing and kill the engine.

I kind of wish you had to hop out of the cab to raise the landing gear and attach the hoses, but I'm probably alone in that. Hell, the hoses don't even connect in game.

I do love the advanced trailer coupling, how you have to actually hit the king pin and can give it a little tug forward before the brake lines are hooked up.

Yeah maybe you're right. I find Dirt Rally feels a bit better in terms of transmission simulation, but that could be 100% because my experience with a stick shift is far, far closer to their world than Truck sim is.

How close is the engine simulation? One weird thing that I'm having trouble wrapping around: my actual car has a super long 1-2 shift. I could double clutch if I wanted to be cool, I guess. When I'm shifting in truck sim, even if I'm skipping like, 3 gears sometimes, it feels like I would have to basically kick the clutch twice crazy fast to smooth shift. It makes me wonder why there are 18 speed options when everything LL-4H is so crazy narrow.

That doesn't agree with what I've heard that truckers double clutch. Why would they if its that quick? Maybe I'm shifting early? Again I don't know about diesels but I just assumed you didn't want to "redline" shift in a truck either.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011

shortspecialbus posted:

Protip: do not learn about driving from video games. I'm a really aggressive driver and even I'm really good about letting people merge. Not doing that just causes a gigantic mess on the road and tons of accidents when someone is forced to slam on their brakes. That's one of the reasons that texting and being on the phone is such a huge problem - you don't notice people trying to merge and cause huge loving problems. Some people are way too "I DON'T HAVE TO SLOW DOWN OR MOVE OVER FOR THEM" and one guy actually sped up to try to run my wife off the road when she was trying to merge onto the beltline in Madison, since she decided her best course was to accelerate past him as she had a bit of a lead on him. I was behind her and watched the whole thing and the guy tried to run her into a concrete barrier. He could have moved left at any point, there was nothing in the lane, or he could have just held speed and she'd have gotten in a couple car lengths in front of him just fine, but no, he had to prove some stupid loving point and try to kill my wife. gently caress people who don't let others merge when they're out of room.

This man is correct. The best thing you can ever do is know where every car around you is, where it is going, and what you're going to do about it. And speed, loving move I have somewhere to go you loving rear end in a top hat just loving there's WHOLE LANE dedicated to pieces of poo poo like you just loving IT'S THE ONE ON THE RIGHT

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

This man is correct. The best thing you can ever do is know where every car around you is, where it is going, and what you're going to do about it. And speed, loving move I have somewhere to go you loving rear end in a top hat just loving there's WHOLE LANE dedicated to pieces of poo poo like you just loving IT'S THE ONE ON THE RIGHT

My one bad driving/road rage habit is that I will follow at a minimum safe distance (not tailgating!) anyone riding on a quiet highway in the left lane until they remember where the gently caress they are and move over. My region has some very quiet highways and I cannot stand someone that makes me pass on the inside. It's not safe for anyone why are you doing 62 in a 65 in the left lane and there's no cars or obstructions in the right lane for five miles aaaaahhhhhfuck.

Edit: I also agree with the poster above. My original merge post was complaining about people who always move over regardless of the situation, but it's a symptom of the same problem: not being aware of all the cars around you, their relative speed, and where everyone is trying to go. Or in the case of that guy, just general stupidity/mindless aggressiveness.

Anime Store Adventure fucked around with this message at 04:29 on Jul 28, 2016

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

Panch posted:

Yeah maybe you're right. I find Dirt Rally feels a bit better in terms of transmission simulation, but that could be 100% because my experience with a stick shift is far, far closer to their world than Truck sim is.

How close is the engine simulation? One weird thing that I'm having trouble wrapping around: my actual car has a super long 1-2 shift. I could double clutch if I wanted to be cool, I guess. When I'm shifting in truck sim, even if I'm skipping like, 3 gears sometimes, it feels like I would have to basically kick the clutch twice crazy fast to smooth shift. It makes me wonder why there are 18 speed options when everything LL-4H is so crazy narrow.

That doesn't agree with what I've heard that truckers double clutch. Why would they if its that quick? Maybe I'm shifting early? Again I don't know about diesels but I just assumed you didn't want to "redline" shift in a truck either.

I think you're sometimes fundamentally misunderstanding how hard it is for a heavily loaded truck to climb (or safely descend) a steep incline. According to a friend who drives truck, those low gears don't get a ton of use, but when you need them, you need them. They generally do the same skipping poo poo that we do in the game when we can.

I think the double clutching is more a matter of "it's an unsynchronized transmission" than anything else. It's not like the synchronized transmissions that most of us have in our cars (if we're cool and attractive enough to have a manual.)

fake edit: I wish I understood how it worked better, but I don't, even after watching a thing or two on youtube about it. I will say that I LOVE the Eaton-Fuller shifter that came from that kickstarter. It's wonderful in every way and all of you should save your pennies and buy one from their website https://csio.tech/product/skrs-official-v01

edit 2: Also the engine modeling in this game only takes torque into account, not horsepower, so it's going to be a bit off. I'd love for it to get more accurate, but it might make things too hard without a force feedback clutch.

ssb fucked around with this message at 13:07 on Jul 28, 2016

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

Yeah next time I am super bored I'm going to see if I can find a video explaining driving a truck and more importantly why you're doing the things. So many tutorials seem like just how to get through the gears, they don't tell me when I should be shifting or explain, I guess the "flow" of it other than "clutch, next gear." Like I mentioned, I wish I could find something starting from the perspective of "you know how to drive stick in a car, here's the differences in theory and practice to a heavy haul truck."

Does that shifter easily swap? Usually I put my wheel away for long periods and then play dirt rally and American truck for a long period on a weekend or something. I'd want to be able to swap back and forth pretty easily since I would be switching games fairly often.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Panch posted:

Does that shifter easily swap? Usually I put my wheel away for long periods and then play dirt rally and American truck for a long period on a weekend or something. I'd want to be able to swap back and forth pretty easily since I would be switching games fairly often.

They had a video on their kickstarter page that showed them changing it. It was just a screw on the side of the shaft IIRC and it looked pretty easy.

Edit: Here it is:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3TDCNGpp0SM

Space Kablooey fucked around with this message at 14:54 on Jul 28, 2016

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Anyone have a good recommendation for a Steam controller keybinding? The top two user-made ones don't really do anything for me (the top one doesn't even allow you to turn on the truck, but maybe I'm just missing something?), and I figured you guys would know. And no, I don't care if you hate the Steam controller, I don't. :colbert:

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
The truck should turn on if you just hit the accelerator. I don't even have it bound on my 360 pad, I just tap that and the truck starts. I reach for 'e' every time I have to turn the truck off and write it off as 'my immersions.' :v:

Now if I could loving rebind the right stick to do things I would probably have it bound.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Anyone have a good recommendation for a Steam controller keybinding? The top two user-made ones don't really do anything for me (the top one doesn't even allow you to turn on the truck, but maybe I'm just missing something?), and I figured you guys would know. And no, I don't care if you hate the Steam controller, I don't. :colbert:

I ended up making my own, I can look into sharing it.