Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Spellstutter with only 6 total faeries including the stutters seems suspicious as all get out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thisuck
Apr 29, 2012

Spoilers
Pillbug

Elyv posted:

Spellstutter with only 6 total faeries including the stutters seems suspicious as all get out.

Stop bolts and Path, which are everywhere.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

always be closing posted:

Any thoughts on this hoogland spirits brew? Looks pretty cool.

As long as you're all in on spirits, isn't Long-Forgotten Gohei something to strongly consider vs. Favourable Winds?

What about that W/U spell land that exiles creatures to make spirits? Mutavault really doesn't seem that great in a deck with only 4 lords and those lords can't even grant evasion.

Which I guess brings me to the other point; what ultimately makes this worth playing over Merfolk? You trade more power for evasion and some protection, but there doesn't seem to be a way to provide overwhelming board presence and your only source of card advantage is Spell Queller, is it not? Is the deck basically drop Captain then Image, or bust?

Thisuck
Apr 29, 2012

Spoilers
Pillbug

TheKingofSprings posted:

As long as you're all in on spirits, isn't Long-Forgotten Gohei something to strongly consider vs. Favourable Winds?

What about that W/U spell land that exiles creatures to make spirits? Mutavault really doesn't seem that great in a deck with only 4 lords and those lords can't even grant evasion.

Which I guess brings me to the other point; what ultimately makes this worth playing over Merfolk? You trade more power for evasion and some protection, but there doesn't seem to be a way to provide overwhelming board presence and your only source of card advantage is Spell Queller, is it not? Is the deck basically drop Captain then Image, or bust?

I thought the mutavaults were also for faeries as well, so that he has an option to boost faerie count in a pinch for Spellstutter. But yeah, it just seems like a faerie deck that you can vial out instead of watching Bitterblossom grind someone down. At a certain point, you might even run Esper faeries, since you can do fun stuff like Gifts Ungiven Unburial Rites + Elesh Norn.

Molybdenum
Jun 25, 2007
Melting Point ~2622C
Gohei makes arcane cheaper, not spirits :(

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

TheKingofSprings posted:

That's why I was suggesting Lingering Souls- I can see it getting out of hand with Captain, Winds, and Spellstutter/Queller as protection. Not as fast as Merfolk, but has more tricks (though maybe Merfolk doesn't need them).

More generally, I kinda like this idea of a mixed tribal deck like this. I don't think there's enough cards to make a Spirit tribal deck good enough, and Faeries hasn't really been around for a while, but maybe cherry-picking cards from each is worth something.

Dehtraen
Jul 30, 2004

Keep the faith alive

Elyv posted:

Mutavault is a Faerie sometimes and the same goes for phantasmal image as well. Sprite is a cheap, flying, flash critter with some extra text that can blow out your opponent

TheKingofSprings posted:

Which I guess brings me to the other point; what ultimately makes this worth playing over Merfolk? You trade more power for evasion and some protection

I think you hit the nail on the head regarding the merfolk assessment. I haven't seen a spirit list that made me think it is better than merfolk. The game plan seems to be a bit more interesting than merfolk though. Merfolk's silvergil and spreading seas "draw a card" are pretty drat good in that deck and the spirits deck is definitely lacking that.

Rogue0071
Dec 8, 2009

Grey Hunter's next target.

So I am playing Miracles vs TES and my opponent and I just discovered that Rite of Flame produces 0 mana with a Rest in Peace out.

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

Rogue0071 posted:

So I am playing Miracles vs TES and my opponent and I just discovered that Rite of Flame produces 0 mana with a Rest in Peace out.

that's a bug, enjoy your free tournament entry fee reimbursement.

It should produce RR

Rogue0071
Dec 8, 2009

Yeah, we both realized it was a bug. Can I file for comp even though I won the match (possibly because of the bug, not really clear if my opponent could have won that game anyway)?

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

Rogue0071 posted:

Yeah, we both realized it was a bug. Can I file for comp even though I won the match (possibly because of the bug, not really clear if my opponent could have won that game anyway)?

Do it anyway see what happens

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

Rogue0071 posted:

I've filed for comp on matches I've won that have been bugged to hell. The game is busted regardless as to the winner.

Rogue0071
Dec 8, 2009

Got back:

quote:

Thank you for contacting Wizards of the Coast customer support. I'm sorry you encountered an error with Rite of Flame in your League event.

Normally we would nullify the results of this match and give you another chance to win this game without any problems arising. However, you won the match in question. Therefore, I have not nullified this match.

Please let me know if you would like to nullify this match for a chance to play it without problems.

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

Anyone playing in the sunday Legacy even at the Baltimore Open this weekend?

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
Finally finished my lovely Modern Turbofog deck, excited to (hopefully) troll my aggro-heavy meta with it next week :toot:

Deck: Modern UW Turbofog

//Lands
4 Flooded Strand
2 Glacial Fortress
4 Hallowed Fountain
4 Island
1 Mikokoro, Center of the Sea
7 Plains
1 Shelldock Isle

//Spells
2 Angelsong
4 Dawn Charm
4 Dictate of Kruphix
1 Elixir of Immortality
4 Ethereal Haze
4 Holy Day
4 Howling Mine
2 Pollen Lullaby
2 Riot Control
4 Sphinx's Tutelage
2 Supreme Verdict
4 Temple Bell

//Sideboard
4 Leyline of Sanctity
3 Negate
4 Oblivion Ring
2 Pithing Needle
2 Rest in Peace

Display deck statistics

Anything I might have missed or matchups I haven't accounted for?

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007

C-Euro posted:

Finally finished my lovely Modern Turbofog deck, excited to (hopefully) troll my aggro-heavy meta with it next week :toot:

Deck: Modern UW Turbofog

//Lands
4 Flooded Strand
2 Glacial Fortress
4 Hallowed Fountain
4 Island
1 Mikokoro, Center of the Sea
7 Plains
1 Shelldock Isle

//Spells
2 Angelsong
4 Dawn Charm
4 Dictate of Kruphix
1 Elixir of Immortality
4 Ethereal Haze
4 Holy Day
4 Howling Mine
2 Pollen Lullaby
2 Riot Control
4 Sphinx's Tutelage
2 Supreme Verdict
4 Temple Bell

//Sideboard
4 Leyline of Sanctity
3 Negate
4 Oblivion Ring
2 Pithing Needle
2 Rest in Peace

Display deck statistics

Isochron scepter to put fogs on

standard.deviant
May 17, 2012

Globally Indigent

C-Euro posted:

It feels like you're pretty much Leyline-or-bust against Burn and Ad Nauseam.

kirtar
Sep 11, 2011

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

standard.deviant posted:

Doesn't Ad Nauseam usually run at least one way to get around these types of things (e.g. Lab Maniac)?

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

Skyl3lazer posted:

Anyone playing in the sunday Legacy even at the Baltimore Open this weekend?

Assuming I scrub out of Standard, so yes

e: I brought two legacy decks with me. One is the correct choice, but the other just feels so right

standard.deviant
May 17, 2012

Globally Indigent

kirtar posted:

Doesn't Ad Nauseam usually run at least one way to get around these types of things (e.g. Lab Maniac)?
True, but this deck folds to lightning storm too if it doesn't have a leyline. I guess what I'm saying is that the deck feels terrible in that matchup, since he asked about matchups.

Also not playing removal seems terrible.

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

kizudarake posted:

I feel like you could remove 2-3 fogs to add some scepters and also stick like1- 2 lifegain spells in the main (and another in the side), either rest for the weary or whitesun's passage.

Besides burn and Ad Nauseam, there's also a lot of snapcaster / lightning bolt decks that can just dome you for most of it.

Keep in mind that against your opponents, with the howling mine mill plan, they're going to eventually draw all of their enchantment removal, counterspells, etc, so you can't just count on landing a leyline.

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

if you're on the scepter plan you'd probably want to find some room for silences too

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
Is there a reason that I'll see Boreal Druid used instead of Arbor Elf in Modern Elves lists?

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

Star Man posted:

Is there a reason that I'll see Boreal Druid used instead of Arbor Elf in Modern Elves lists?

you should play neither, but the reason is that Boreal Druid always taps for mana, whereas it's not insane to have a draw that doesn't have forests in that deck. in a deck that always wants to blow your opponent up by turn four, it was thought the consistency is more important than the upside arbor elf provides

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
Then what should I play :saddowns:

uninverted
Nov 10, 2011
I think boreal druid is supposed to be a higher floor, lower ceiling nettle sentinel replacement, so play nettle sentinel?

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

uninverted posted:

I think boreal druid is supposed to be a higher floor, lower ceiling nettle sentinel replacement, so play nettle sentinel?

yes do this and i mostly saw boreal druid in the beck//call versions, which you should not play

skyblazer what are you playing on sunday

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

kizudarake posted:

Had a pair for a while but never felt like I needed them, as I always had fogs in hand. If I did want to include them though I'd probably drop the Lullabies.

standard.deviant posted:

They're not great matchups but you have Elixir and Riot Control to gain life (Riot Control also prevents all damage to you, not just combat), and Dawn Charm can counter spells that target me. And FWIW I've never seen Ad Nauseum at my store and very little Burn; pretty much everyone who shows up there wins using the combat step except for one Scapeshift guy and me when I'm playing Mill. That was part of my motivation to build the deck in the first place TBH :v:

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007

C-Euro posted:

Had a pair for a while but never felt like I needed them, as I always had fogs in hand. If I did want to include them though I'd probably drop the Lullabies.

They're not great matchups but you have Elixir and Riot Control to gain life (Riot Control also prevents all damage to you, not just combat), and Dawn Charm can counter spells that target me. And FWIW I've never seen Ad Nauseum at my store and very little Burn; pretty much everyone who shows up there wins using the combat step except for one Scapeshift guy and me when I'm playing Mill. That was part of my motivation to build the deck in the first place TBH :v:

The scepters are for dawn charm, which has at least two possibly relevant abilities. Counter target spell that targets you, and prevent all combat damage.

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify

AgentSythe posted:

yes do this and i mostly saw boreal druid in the beck//call versions, which you should not play

Why is it ever boreal druid and not just llanowar elves? Did elf lists start running a colorless matters spell?

Dave47
Oct 3, 2012

Shut up and take my money!

Pontius Pilate posted:

Why is it ever boreal druid and not just llanowar elves? Did elf lists start running a colorless matters spell?
Snow synergies, duh.

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca

Pontius Pilate posted:

All the deck lists have 4 Llanowar Elves and 4 Elvish Mystics. Sometimes someone like Reid Duke would build the deck around making sure you could always have that 1 drop so he would add 2 Boreal Druid as mana dork number 9 and 10.
http://www.channelfireball.com/videos/channel-reid-modern-elves/

Dave47
Oct 3, 2012

Shut up and take my money!
A real eternal format would allow Fyndhorn Elves to hold those spots. :colbert:

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007
Welp, the CFB booster crates seem like a decent deal.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
Buying booster packs is never a good deal. Like, ever.

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

The Mighty Quinn trip report: it's bad

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007

Star Man posted:

Buying booster packs is never a good deal. Like, ever.

To set up drafts.

uninverted
Nov 10, 2011
Went to my first modern FNM with budget elves (mono green and sylvan messenger instead of CoCo, basically). I beat kiki chord and somebody's standard ramp deck (lol) and lost to infect. Attacking for 100+ damage on turn four is really satisfying, it turns out.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

kizudarake posted:

To set up drafts.

:lol: if you ever have to buy boosters just use the ones you won at your last draft FFS

Life is short, crack boxes if you want, imo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007

Soul Glo posted:

:lol: if you ever have to buy boosters just use the ones you won at your last draft FFS

Life is short, crack boxes if you want, imo.

Kitchen table drafting, dude.