Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh

Bulky Bartokomous posted:

Someone let me borrow a time machine so i can go back in time and not sell my e46 coupe. TIA.

Am I searching wrong or something? I only found ONE facelifted e46 coupe with a stick for sale on autotrader "ANY DISTANCE" from my house.

Autotrader is garbage so that's probably why. Try Craigslist (or kijiji if Canada), forums and local Facebook BMW/euro groups. E46 coupes are not rare at all.

Crustashio fucked around with this message at 03:32 on Jul 28, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

In Mypos, only the strong survive.

Crustashio posted:

Autotrader is garbage so that's probably why. Try Craigslist (or kijiji if Canada), forums and local Facebook BMW/euro groups. E46 couples are not rare at all.

Couples? I'm not really into that swinging poo poo. But thanks, I'll check it out I guess.

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat

Someone let me borrow a time machine so i can go back in time and not sell my e46 coupe. TIA.

Am I searching wrong or something? I only found ONE facelifted e46 coupe with a stick for sale on autotrader "ANY DISTANCE" from my house.

You can buy my 330i 5 speed sedan.

Black88GTA
Oct 8, 2009

http://www.searchtempest.com

^^use that

Big Taint
Oct 19, 2003

Bought an '03 325i wagon with an overheated M56 for $750 today. How much pain should I expect swapping a new motor in? It's for my girlfriend to drive so definitely going to be boring and put another M56 in, as much as I want to do the V10 instead.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug

"A single Garrett M24 drives 1.7bar (24.6psi) of boost into the engine, producing 1,378hp and 1,155ft/lbs."

:stare:

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

SuperDucky posted:

That e36 I posted about doing the clutch master on Sunday?

Yeah.

Every time I see one of these things in a wreck I am more and more convinced that they are the safest pre-"modern safety" car ever designed. Eat a dick, Volvo.
Friend walked away with cuts and bruises. Rolled it twice.

That's a shame.

And I'll agree with you on the safety thing. Speaking as somebody that was in a terrible accident in an E36 and walked away unhurt.

Whiz Palace
Dec 8, 2013
E92 328i, Toronto area. Thinking of sending it to a shop because I live in a condo and am a wuss. N52 intake + ECU flash, plus CDV delete, how much should that run me? I've seen the parts sell for about $2500. It's only got 32,000 km, is it too soon to think about a coolant flush?

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
I'm somehow reminded of milklms blue M3.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
edit:

why settle with AWD when i have 3 months to find a replacement for the tdi?

this looks promising:

https://portland.craigslist.org/mlt/ctd/5681780220.html

Only downside is that it's an M56 pzev motor.

OBAMNA PHONE fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Jul 28, 2016

Michael Scott
Jan 3, 2010

by zen death robot
I'm going to start Craigslisting to consider buying a BMW for about $5k-$10k. Can I do this without getting burned? Any specific strings to search for?

It seems hard to find normal people selling cars on Craigslist. Everyone seems to write in all caps sentence fragments with almost no information and 1 photo.

Wrar posted:

You can buy my 330i 5 speed sedan.

Is this a serious post? Year/miles/asking $?

Michael Scott fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Jul 28, 2016

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010

Whiz Palace posted:

E92 328i, Toronto area. Thinking of sending it to a shop because I live in a condo and am a wuss. N52 intake + ECU flash, plus CDV delete, how much should that run me? I've seen the parts sell for about $2500. It's only got 32,000 km, is it too soon to think about a coolant flush?

I assume you mean the 3 stage intake with DISA valves? AWE Tuning outside Philly did mine, took 4 hours (which is fair, tech's first time, it took me 6-7 on a prior car) at $100 per hour. I used the Active Autowerke Tune with the handheld programmer thing, so the tuning part I did myself.

CDV delete is unbolt plastic shield, remove CDV, reinstall line, bleed brakes. Maybe 45 minutes?

I go with a coolant flush every two years or so.

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat

Michael Scott posted:

I'm going to start Craigslisting to consider buying a BMW for about $5k-$10k. Can I do this without getting burned? Any specific strings to search for?

It seems hard to find normal people selling cars on Craigslist. Everyone seems to write in all caps sentence fragments with almost no information and 1 photo.

Is this a serious post? Year/miles/asking $?

Totally serious. 01 173k $5750. https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3515402&pagenumber=17&perpage=40#post462484515

Michael Scott
Jan 3, 2010

by zen death robot

Got some pictures? Can you email me the listing at michaelscottsa@gmail.com

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

BraveUlysses posted:

edit:

why settle with AWD when i have 3 months to find a replacement for the tdi?

this looks promising:

https://portland.craigslist.org/mlt/ctd/5681780220.html

Only downside is that it's an M56 pzev motor.

I've been throwing around some BMW wagons too, but having to replace the entire cooling system on a monthly basis is a pretty big hit on my reliability requirement for a DD.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

fknlo posted:

I've been throwing around some BMW wagons too, but having to replace the entire cooling system on a monthly basis is a pretty big hit on my reliability requirement for a DD.

I know you're exaggerating for comedic effect, but the cooling system stuff on BMWs is not even close to that bad. Realistically the important cooling system bits get replaced 2-3 times in the 250-300k mile lifespan unless you're obsessively neurotic and paranoid about it.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

fknlo posted:

I've never had a failure of my cooling systems. Owned 2 e30s, 1 e36s, 1 e46, and a z3mc.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
After putting it off for way too long I finally replaced my fan clutch and the auxilary fan on my e36 M3. The fan clutch worked flawlessly and mostly solves my cooling problem, but the aux fan despite being a pretty simple drop in replacement is still not turning on. I'm guessing the old fan blew out the fuse when it died but I'm having a hard time locating where the hell the aux fan fuse is located. It sounds like its somewhere under the dash but I can't make out exactly where. Anyone have tips for checking the fuses/relays? Can I easily get a replacement at an Autozone for either?

Oh and by the way my car is leaking coolant like no other, I'm pretty sure I blew a head gasket so this is likely all in vain.

Popete fucked around with this message at 06:50 on Jul 29, 2016

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Popete posted:

After putting it off for way too long I finally replaced my fan clutch and the auxilary fan on my e36 M3. The fan clutch worked flawlessly and mostly solves my cooling problem, but the aux fan despite being a pretty simple drop in replacement is still not turning on. I'm guessing the old fan blew out the fuse when it died but I'm having a hard time locating where the hell the aux fan fuse is located. It sounds like its somewhere under the dash but I can't make out exactly where. Anyone have tips for checking the fuses/relays? Can I easily get a replacement at an Autozone for either?

Oh and by the way my car is leaking coolant like no other, I'm pretty sure I blew a head gasket so this is likely all in vain.

Can't remember exactly how it is on the E36 M3 but I just fought with this on the 928. Check fuses 16 and 41, check relay 15 (apply 12v to power and ground, see if it clicks) then check the fan temp switch or whatever they call it on that car. Fan temp switch will probably be a sensor in the radiator somewhere, likely normally open but closes when it gets to a set temperature. Quick check is see if the fan comes on when you touch the two wires going to the fan temp switch...if it runs then the switch is bad.

Numbers based on this diagram which may be wrong for your year - http://www.bimmerwerkz.com/forum/at...lay-diagram.jpg

Good how to test a relay youtube - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ire7vyDqelg

Again this is just a general troubleshooting after verifying the fan runs when 12v is applied directly. Not familiar enough with the E36 to be super helpful.

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

My local dealer is hosting the test drive for Team USA thing today. Booked a drive in the 340i for after work.

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010
Well, I joined the forced induction club. Sold my 328xi as it needed the usual for 100k, but the entire AC system decided that right as the hottest part of the year started, it was going to give up all the ghosts. Bought a 335xi M Sport with all of the important bits (6 speed, brakes, active suspension) and left out the unimportant bits (Nav, mostly). AFK, driving around all weekend, alternating between windows down for the sound, and windows up for sweet, sweet working AC.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I don't know if it's similar to the 135 but if there is a flap in the exhaust that opens at 3000rpm, you can unplug it in the trunk to get loud exhaust all the time.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
drat, slick looking car. I'm getting to the point with my e36 M3 where I am planning to upgrade in a year or two. Any experience with the new M4s? Is it worth the price or are the previous model M3s a better bang for your buck?

HandlingByJebus
Jun 21, 2009

All of a sudden, I found myself in love with the world, so there was only one thing I could do:
was ding a ding dang, my dang a long racecar.

It's a love affair. Mainly jebus, and my racecar.

The new setup is really fun on the track. :getin:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NdrFMwUNLC4

Really fun. So much fun that I forgot to watch the fuel gauge last time out. :smith:

At least I did two of my best laps ever on this track back-to-back. :krad: And there's lots left in the car, I just need to be more willing to commit.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
Looks like a hoot! you doing any more track days this summer? im hoping for one in august if i can get my poo poo together soon enough.

was that recorded on a iphone or android?

HandlingByJebus
Jun 21, 2009

All of a sudden, I found myself in love with the world, so there was only one thing I could do:
was ding a ding dang, my dang a long racecar.

It's a love affair. Mainly jebus, and my racecar.

BraveUlysses posted:

Looks like a hoot! you doing any more track days this summer? im hoping for one in august if i can get my poo poo together soon enough.

was that recorded on a iphone or android?

It was! And yes, I'll be doing two more at least at that same track, and hopefully one at Pacific Raceways.

Recorded on an iPhone using Harry's Lap Timer.

Next time I will be bringing extra fuel, also. :doh:

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010
Oh hey, does anyone in the Philly area want/need an affordable set of oem rims with serviceable all season tires? They're balanced, no tpms, for an E90. I picked them up this spring, used for 5k miles past the 5k the other guy did, then went back to PSS. Then sold the car. 17s won't fit around the new car's brakes.

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

The 340i was out with someone else when I got there so I got to drive a 650i to kill time. It didn't feel as big as I thought it would and I would have guessed it had more than 315hp. Lots of fun to drive. I felt bad for the kids trying to close it down and head to the next town so I only took a very short loop in the 340i. If I could have my choice of them id go with the 340i. Suits me more I guess.

Saga
Aug 17, 2009
What's the thread view on the facelift, N54 engined E61? Thinking of a 530i manual touring to replace my 325ti. Do they handle? Do they fall apart? I like the N54 and the E60/1 interiors, just not sure about the size and weight of the thing compared to the -ti. Are they as well balanced and drift-able as the E46?

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

I drove an F30 for the first time, though only a 328xi, and I think it just makes me want to keep my E46 forever. It was nice enough I guess, but it didn't really feel special at all. And the electric steering doesn't even begin to compare to the hydraulic steering in my E46. I know E46s have kind of heavy steering so maybe my baseline is skewed, but holy poo poo the steering in the F30 was light. Maybe a 340i with the dynamic sport steering or whatever is better, but boy does the basic electric steering need some help. And a lot of auto journalists call it one of the better electric steering systems out there, which is just sad if true.

The interior and iDrive and all that was also just "fine", and IMO better than an E90, but somehow the E46 interior still feels a class above in materials and design even over a decade later.

Guinness fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Aug 2, 2016

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010
Having just gone from an E90 to the F30, the variable steering does help. I need to visit my Dad and drive his more, since he doesn't have the variable steering and mine does, but the Sport mode is decent. Comfort is pretty sloppy though. Sport tightens it up, but you do lose a lot (okay, all) road feedback, but the car itself handles well.

I find it a bit weird that in order to have the Sport Display on the screen, you have to have the Nav option. I just have the basic iDrive without Nav, and you definitely lose a bunch of functionality. The loss doesn't bother me, it's just peculiar, particularly when the M Sport gives you all of the other physical sport bits.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

Coworker is looking at replacing his TDI Sportwagon with a 335D/535D when he gets the check from VW. I see a bunch of posts about the N57 timing chain failures but is that something blown out of proportion on forums or is it actually a big problem with the engines?

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
i wouldnt get one after reading blkmk4's posts about his. they sound awesome when they run but hell when something goes wrong.

i'll never own another diesel after this TDI thing is over.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009

BraveUlysses posted:

i wouldnt get one after reading blkmk4's posts about his. they sound awesome when they run but hell when something goes wrong.

i'll never own another diesel after this TDI thing is over.

Just stick to cars with OM617s in them and you'll be fine

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

Oh poo poo I forgot about Blackmk4's car, what a cluster gently caress that was

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
LOL RUN THE gently caress AWAY.

edit: I've owned 21 vehicles in the last 12 years and that car is legitimately the only thing I regret buying. That list includes a cursed Triumph 675 that seized at >100mph during a trackday.
edit2: I'm getting old. :(
edit3: I cannot justify buying a diesel car with the MPG that DI turbo 4 cylinder cars are getting now. My MK7 GTI lifetime average is 31mpg, I think the 335D averaged 26mpg.

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 01:55 on Aug 3, 2016

blk
Dec 19, 2009
This should amuse/enrage most of the thread:
http://thegarage.jalopnik.com/bmw-engines-are-gigantic-pieces-of-poo poo-1784684330

BlackMK4 posted:

LOL RUN THE gently caress AWAY.

edit: I've owned 21 vehicles in the last 12 years and that car is legitimately the only thing I regret buying. That list includes a cursed Triumph 675 that seized at >100mph during a trackday.
edit2: I'm getting old. :(
edit3: I cannot justify buying a diesel car with the MPG that DI turbo 4 cylinder cars are getting now. My MK7 GTI lifetime average is 31mpg, I think the 335D averaged 26mpg.

What's the rest of your list?

blk fucked around with this message at 08:08 on Aug 3, 2016

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

Guinness posted:

I drove an F30 for the first time, though only a 328xi, and I think it just makes me want to keep my E46 forever. It was nice enough I guess, but it didn't really feel special at all. And the electric steering doesn't even begin to compare to the hydraulic steering in my E46. I know E46s have kind of heavy steering so maybe my baseline is skewed, but holy poo poo the steering in the F30 was light. Maybe a 340i with the dynamic sport steering or whatever is better, but boy does the basic electric steering need some help. And a lot of auto journalists call it one of the better electric steering systems out there, which is just sad if true.

The interior and iDrive and all that was also just "fine", and IMO better than an E90, but somehow the E46 interior still feels a class above in materials and design even over a decade later.

E46 had a better interior than any other car I've owned. I miss mine every day. More than my E30 even, which I know is heresy.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

blk posted:

What's the rest of your list?
What I meant was I didn't regret buying the Triumph even though that poo poo happened, but I regret the 335D. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blk
Dec 19, 2009
Am I an idiot for being interested in this?

I know the M54 is slow and that 1st gear is a crawler on these and it's probably not as fun as I'm imagining.

I also know that cooling system, window regulators, and tire wear from the crazy rear camber can be an issue (as can air suspension but I don't think the 3.0s were specced with that?)

I've also read that the valve cover, intake manifold and PCV plate can leak oil, but I'm not sure yet if that applies to the M54

Any trouble spots I'm missing?