Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rebel Blob
Mar 1, 2008

Extinction for our time

I just watched a weird holodeck episode where Picard is playing as some centurion and takes over Rome. At least until the real emperor gets mad at him. Didn't remember that episode from watching TNG as a kid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

criscodisco
Feb 18, 2004

do it
Minuet was really Picard in disguise.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Tectonis posted:

I'd be Captain Proton's ship because I'm big, dumb useless and love campy scifi.

I actually kinda liked the Delta Flyer having manual controls because Tom Paris liked that dumb campy sci-fi. It at least showed some personal touch to it rather than just being a new Starfleet vessel.

Tectonis posted:

Developing tech for the Federation must be like some sort of OSHA hell. Some aliens see in infrared so it has to be visible in that range, meanwhile this race is blind so it needs a haptic interface these are for cetaceans so make them work with a bottle nose and clicks. Then provide support for all these development standards.

To be fair, you actually see some of that come up in TNG and it generally just has the aliens in question using prosthetics to cope with it.

Tectonis posted:

DaVinci episodes are good :colbert:

John Rhys Davis was a great DaVinci, carrying the episodes himself :allears:.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
Everyone knows that the Federation is a bunch of human-centric space racists because only humans are considered "normal" and all aliens have to figure out how to adapt to them.

criscodisco
Feb 18, 2004

do it
So America won the Eugenics War?

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
I'm watching Prototype and I like these robots they're like lovely bland Star Trek versions of the Metropolis robot.

criscodisco
Feb 18, 2004

do it
I understood the intent in their design direction, I just thought the execution was so lovely I couldn't get past it.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

criscodisco posted:

So America won the Eugenics War?

Yes, but then went through a terrible civil war over which condiments/toppings are the best to put on a hamburger. The aftermath of that war is shown in First Contact. The Federation has suppressed the historical record, but that's the reason why you never see anyone eating a burger in any Trek series. It's all explained in this weird TNG novel I found at the bottom of a bargain bin in a thrift store in a crumbling coal town in the wilds of West Virginia.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

cheerfullydrab posted:

Yes, but then went through a terrible civil war over which condiments/toppings are the best to put on a hamburger. The aftermath of that war is shown in First Contact. The Federation has suppressed the historical record, but that's the reason why you never see anyone eating a burger in any Trek series. It's all explained in this weird TNG novel I found at the bottom of a bargain bin in a thrift store in a crumbling coal town in the wilds of West Virginia.

It's common knowledge that Taco Bell won the Franchise Wars of the early 21st century. All restaurants are Taco Bell.

Tarquinn
Jul 3, 2007

I know I’ve made some very poor decisions recently, but I can give you
my complete assurance that my work will be back to normal.
Hell Gem

Neddy Seagoon posted:

It's common knowledge that Taco Bell won the Franchise Wars of the early 21st century. All restaurants are Taco Bell.

Pizza Hut in Yurop. :colbert:

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

Which two-parter Next Gen, Voyager, or DS9 episodes would you consider to be better than any of the TNG movies? At the absolute least I'd say Best of Both Worlds and Emissary.

Figaro
Feb 21, 2006

Hi, I've come to apply for the doctor's job. I can assure you my credentials are top-notch, I've just graduated from Harvard College Yale. I aced every semester, and I got an 'A'.

cheerfullydrab posted:

Which two-parter Next Gen, Voyager, or DS9 episodes would you consider to be better than any of the TNG movies? At the absolute least I'd say Best of Both Worlds and Emissary.

The Maquis pt 1 and 2 (DS9)
Past Tense pt 1 and 2 (DS9)
Improbable Cause and Die is Cast (DS9)
In Purgatorys Shadow and By Infernos Light (DS9)
Scorpion pt 1 and 2 (Voy)

I've got such a blind spot for Futures End (Voy) as well because it's just so cheesy and fun!

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Hillary Clintons Thong posted:

what if Geordi asked the holodeck to create a simulation of a woman who would love him? what would the result be? Core breach due to cpu cascade failure poo poo?

himself, but with tits

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

A Serious Candidate For a Serious Time

corn in the bible posted:

himself, but with tits

He said 'love' not 'loath'.

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

Automatic Slim posted:

Guinan has her own prime directive even though her civilization had been destroyed, she's still slumming it with the Federation.

Her super power is cat claws.

Picard should've warned her about the Borg when he went back in time.
Guinan as a threat to Q is still the dumbest thing and I'm glad they dropped it

Q Who is still a really good episode. Q essentially telling Picard and in process the Federation to poo poo or get off the pot at the end was a really good character building moment for the show

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

I liked the followup to Deja Q where he lives as a 21st Century air traffic controller.

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
:patriot:
Yeah, Quinn rubbed off a little too hard on the Q we all know from TNG. It's kind of sad.

at least that guy from the eternal warfare planet got to die for real, eventually

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

corn in the bible posted:

himself, but with tits

Also holo-Geordie can see.

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro
I bet the Q Continuum is just Section 31 from the previous Big Bang cycle. Just a bunch of guys with complete space/time control who managed to outlive everyone thanks to being underhanded assholes, then see the universe reset and decide to sit this one out. Q himself is just that one rear end in a top hat who didn't get his fill on the last go around

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I've always theorized that the horrible genetic and nuclear war that apparently happens some time between now and startrek is the reason we only really see americans in the federation. Most of the world was obliterated, only pockets of america survived. We see San Francisco a lot but no one has ever mentioned New York or DC or many other major US cities in trek, the reason is because they're gone.

After the earth got its poo poo back together they decided to rebuild and repopulate the earth, but only had americans. Luckily america is pretty diverse, so people even remotely connected to a region's culture were sent there to rebuild although in a watered down americanized sort of version. In a lot of cases they didn't have enough of the area's original inhabitants to re-establish the culture, so they just sent people with matching last names or skin tones or what ever. This is why picard is english. England, france, close enough, just send some guys with accents over there and re-built their stupid tower and we'll say Paris is reborn. Asia was hit the worst by all this which is why indians and chinese are so super rare in the federation despite being almost half the population today.

I mean it can't be that it was an american show made for american audiences so most all the actors end up being american and the federation ends up having a racial/cultural mix very close to america at the time of filming, it's all deep world building lore stuff showing the horrors of nuclear war.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Watching VOY and in addition to the Borg Cube and Borg Sphere, I forgot there was a Borg probe Twinkie/Shitbrick design as well.

Goddamn Voyager.

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

Vulcans are the Asians, duh. They left Earth after WW3 and only came back when they saw that we got our poo poo together. They pretend they're from another planet and that they're not related to us at all.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

FilthyImp posted:

Watching VOY and in addition to the Borg Cube and Borg Sphere, I forgot there was a Borg probe Twinkie/Shitbrick design as well.

Goddamn Voyager.

There's also the "Tactical Cube", because thanks to power creep the normal cube wasn't strong enough

Nefarious 2.0
Apr 22, 2008

Offense is overrated anyway.

the ep where picard gets stuck in the turbolift with the kids is on and it just made me realize that troi outranks o'brien goddamn

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde

Nefarious 2.0 posted:

the ep where picard gets stuck in the turbolift with the kids is on and it just made me realize that troi outranks o'brien goddamn

o'brien is the only non officer they ever portray

an ensign outranks obrien. when wesley was done with the academy he out ranked obrien.

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

Nefarious 2.0 posted:

Neelix outranked O'Brien. Ship's Morale Officer.

A rat-being they found floating in a junk heap dying of thirst and trying to scam them into a hostage situation was seen as more worthy of leading men than Miles.

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
oh man and I was watching Dark Matter and Wesley shows up and woo boy he's pretty hefty

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

BattleMaster posted:

There's also the "Tactical Cube", because thanks to power creep the normal cube wasn't strong enough
The Borg assimilate the Fed MRA colony on Trilbus IV:

Begin production of the Tactilol Cube
:goonsay:

A big lol at the Hanson's rolling book carts inside their little ship. And little Anika's crayon drawing of a Conan O'Brien in the background.

Nefarious 2.0
Apr 22, 2008

how the gently caress do you fight in wars and spend your whole life in starfleet and not make officer. they should have given obrien a backstory where he was about to make captain and then flipped out and went ham on some cardassians and got busted down to private

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde

Nefarious 2.0 posted:

how the gently caress do you fight in wars and spend your whole life in starfleet and not make officer. they should have given obrien a backstory where he was about to make captain and then flipped out and went ham on some cardassians and got busted down to private

well thats how the military works in the 21st Century you can't just enlist and make officer one day. In the 23rd Century I guess they still hang on to the tradition of keeping Nobles and peasants divided

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

I guarantee you its all from the apostrophe. That character fucks up databases readily and even a couple hundred years in the future, Miles would be permanently capped from ever having his keyfield added to the officer listing table.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

oh man and I was watching Dark Matter and Wesley shows up and woo boy he's pretty hefty

I quite like Dark Matter. Killjoys too. They're not great shows, but it's nice having some fun sci-fi on TV :allears:.

what if Geordi asked the holodeck to create a simulation of a woman who would love him? what would the result be? Core breach due to cpu cascade failure poo poo?

"Computer, generate a sexual companion who is interested in me".

"Computer, stop laughing."

Nefarious 2.0 posted:

Ehhh, having an old soldier not want to be an officer isn't an unknown thing. There's a lot of things can point and laugh at O'Brien for, but that's not necessarily one of them.

Nefarious 2.0
Apr 22, 2008

well thats how the military works in the 21st Century you can't just enlist and make officer one day. In the 23rd Century I guess they still hang on to the tradition of keeping Nobles and peasants divided

drat you right

it seems like the whole point of this episode is to point out that o'brien knows everything and troi doesn't know jack poo poo. evidently the only requirement to make officer is a willingness to kill geordie

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
Dark Matter is ok. Took awhile to get into. First season surprise ending was kinda dumb imo. Just started season 2.

Using the "android just got knocked out" as a story hook for about half the episodes gets real old though.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

Baronjutter posted:

I've always theorized that the horrible genetic and nuclear war that apparently happens some time between now and startrek is the reason we only really see americans in the federation. Most of the world was obliterated, only pockets of america survived. We see San Francisco a lot but no one has ever mentioned New York or DC or many other major US cities in trek, the reason is because they're gone.

After the earth got its poo poo back together they decided to rebuild and repopulate the earth, but only had americans. Luckily america is pretty diverse, so people even remotely connected to a region's culture were sent there to rebuild although in a watered down americanized sort of version. In a lot of cases they didn't have enough of the area's original inhabitants to re-establish the culture, so they just sent people with matching last names or skin tones or what ever. This is why picard is english. England, france, close enough, just send some guys with accents over there and re-built their stupid tower and we'll say Paris is reborn. Asia was hit the worst by all this which is why indians and chinese are so super rare in the federation despite being almost half the population today.

I mean it can't be that it was an american show made for american audiences so most all the actors end up being american and the federation ends up having a racial/cultural mix very close to america at the time of filming, it's all deep world building lore stuff showing the horrors of nuclear war.

WW3 is when all the capitalists and religious people nuke each other to death, then the survivors are uplifted by the Vulcans

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Dark Matter is ok. Took awhile to get into. First season surprise ending was kinda dumb imo. Just started season 2.

Using the "android just got knocked out" as a story hook for about half the episodes gets real old though.

Yeah, they definitely wrote the Android as a little too powerful/omnipotent I think. There's one more episode like that (so far at least) in Season 2, and it actually is a good episode sparking off a few new questions, but it looks like they're at least doing something with the Android in this week's episode. The only real bad thing with season 2, so far, is the new crewmembers have gotten pushed largely into the background for only one or two scenes per episode.

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

A Serious Candidate For a Serious Time
All O'Brien wants in life is to shout, "don't salute me. I work for a living!" at someone, but no one has ever accidentally saluted him.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
It's pretty funny that Seven's parents were documenting Borg behavior the way we observe chimps in the wild and poo poo.

"Here we see Needles and NoDick, engaged in a rare repair ritual. Fascinating"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

:edi:
Didn't Gene have some sort of hang up about officers and non-coms?