Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

Jonas Albrecht posted:

So what does this reveal mean for the cluster rumor? Are we still looking at possibly making a more powerful NX with add ons?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Jonas Albrecht posted:

So what does this reveal mean for the cluster rumor? Are we still looking at possibly making a more powerful NX with add ons?

you don't want that though. just get the new nx in 2019. it'll cost the same and you can trade in the old one

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe

Jonas Albrecht posted:

Presumably the idea would revolve around the dock the NX plugs into to go into TV Console mode. You could stick a RAM expansion in there, at least, though sticking a second GPU in would probably be overly expensive.

"Replace your NX Dock with the NX Superdock, now with 2 GB more RAM! Only $49.99 with trade-in of old Dock!"

Patter Song fucked around with this message at 06:49 on Jul 28, 2016

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

This would be fine by me. Majora's Mask and Perfect Dark owned.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

Jonas Albrecht posted:

This would be fine by me. Majora's Mask and Perfect Dark owned.

the day perfect dark came out i miraculously managed to also convince my parents that i was sick and stayed home from year 9 school to blast fools all day long. best day of my life

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Is this rumor just as reliable as the leaked controller?

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

TF2 HAT MINING RIG posted:

Is this rumor just as reliable as the leaked controller?

It's leaps and bounds more credible than the leaked controller, but if a youtube video surfaces in a week showing how multiple people faked out Eurogamer, I will not be surprised.

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

Is this thing going to work like a tablet? When I first heard the news I thought it was a pretty dumb idea but thinking about it, if you just pop off the controllers on the sides it's just a tablet, so if it supports like, all the basic tablet apps via Android or something (internet browser, youtube, facebook, maybe a word processor etc etc), it could be a really good product. A tablet that also plays nintendo games, and links up to your TV to play them on the big screen. It seems like a pretty interesting idea.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
I don't expect it will have much normal tablet functionality even if it has the form factor. Nintendo will want it to be pretty limited.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YZ4AlnlYenc

Jables88
Jul 26, 2010
Tortured By Flan
I know it's already been said, but in a way, the most crucial aspect of any of this is that Nintendo will be supporting a single console and not splitting their efforts.

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

Jables88 posted:

I know it's already been said, but in a way, the most crucial aspect of any of this is that Nintendo will be supporting a single console and not splitting their efforts.

Yeah, having their software teams and budget all focused on one device instead of split between two will lead us into an era of some real kickass nintendo stuff

and it will all be portable as well as HD

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Jonas Albrecht posted:

The dock could have extra processing power, out it could just have active cooling and allow the NX to overclock when docked

Sprite141
Feb 7, 2009

I should really just
learn to stop talking.
Edit: wrong thread

Also I don't trust that article at all. It's preaching the new nintendo machine specs like they have it there with them, but they never mention their sources. I think it's all a bunch of bull.

Sprite141 fucked around with this message at 12:23 on Jul 28, 2016

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*
Have you never seen a leak before? People wanting to share info but not publicly expose themselves happens all the time.

amotea
Mar 23, 2008
Grimey Drawer

Paper Triangle
Jul 27, 2004

more dog than your dog

Red Bones posted:

Is this thing going to work like a tablet? When I first heard the news I thought it was a pretty dumb idea but thinking about it, if you just pop off the controllers on the sides it's just a tablet, so if it supports like, all the basic tablet apps via Android or something (internet browser, youtube, facebook, maybe a word processor etc etc), it could be a really good product. A tablet that also plays nintendo games, and links up to your TV to play them on the big screen. It seems like a pretty interesting idea.

yeah a tablet that plays games would be crazy revolutionary. i thought it was stupid when i heard nintendo was making another video game platform but if they can make an android tablet with spreadsheets and poo poo instead that would be loving dope.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

Sprite141 posted:

Edit: wrong thread

Also I don't trust that article at all. It's preaching the new nintendo machine specs like they have it there with them, but they never mention their sources. I think it's all a bunch of bull.

It's not some random guy on Reddit, it's Eurogamer and DF. They're being pretty clear on what they think they know and what they're deducing, it really seems unlikely that this is all "a bunch of bull." That would be a huge blow to their credibility.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
I wouldn't go with just Eurogamer, but I don't think digital foundry has ever give with something they weren't sure was true.

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

Paper Triangle posted:

yeah a tablet that plays games would be crazy revolutionary. i thought it was stupid when i heard nintendo was making another video game platform but if they can make an android tablet with spreadsheets and poo poo instead that would be loving dope.

I think it makes a lot more sense to try and compete in the tablet space than it does to compete in the smartphone one or even the straight console one, to be honest. From my (limited) experience with tablets they don't really need a ton of functionality, it's mostly just a portable, stripped down computer to use around the house and take on trips and poo poo like that. It'd have to be marketed as both a tablet AND a games console, and not just "this games console comes with tablet functions too!", but if they called it something like the Nintendo Companion and made sure it actually works well as a tablet in terms of fast load times, responsive interface, let it load apps (android ones would be easiest, I guess) or at least give it a selection of applications that allow it to capture the section of the tablet market that mainly uses tablets as portable home entertainment devices/web browsers, then I think it could do well. Especially as the docking station would let you put anything you were watching on the handheld directly onto the TV, which I think tablets are still sometimes a bit awkward with? I don't know a tonne about tablets. It certainly makes a lot more sense to aim at that market and the games market, rather than just to release a kinda underpowered semi-portable semi-living room console just for the gaming market in this day and age.

Edit: The addendum to this idea is that it'd also make a lot of sense to sell the tablet and the docking station separately, or at least make them available separately as well as being sold as one product. That way you get people who just want to buy a tablet and/or portable games console, and they know they can upgrade by buying the docking unit later. Hell, if it supports android apps you'll have this weird thing where it might miss out on a lot of triple A gaming releases for consoles + PC, but it'll get PC-to-tablet ports like X-Com or Hearthstone.

Red Bones fucked around with this message at 16:30 on Jul 28, 2016

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

E Equals MC Hammer posted:

Riiiiiiiiidge raceeeerrrrrrr

Edit: can I just say at this point, Stux, I feel really sad each time I see you eat a huge probation

thanks

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

I don't think Nintendo will be running Android on this thing. It's not going to be a regular tablet. It will interface with iOS and Android devices maybe, but it will not run either of those OSes itself.

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

greatn posted:

I wouldn't go with just Eurogamer, but I don't think digital foundry has ever give with something they weren't sure was true.

Digital foundry was listed as confirming sources though back in the rumor days of the 3DS back when Eurogamer was talking up the tegra back then too. I'm just going to assume the situation with NX is similar in that it's just a placeholder thing for now.

I thought this guys logic was all weird, but then I checked out some of his other videos, and uh, apparently he got on some podcast with Denis Dyack. And when he brought up the issue of Dyack's past, to roughly paraphrase, "Whatever problems you may have heard about this guy in the past, he's still a developer and we should trust him." :psyduck:

So, uh, needless to say, I wouldn't trust much of what this guy says.

Paper Triangle
Jul 27, 2004

more dog than your dog

Red Bones posted:

I think it makes a lot more sense to try and compete in the tablet space than it does to compete in the smartphone one or even the straight console one, to be honest. From my (limited) experience with tablets they don't really need a ton of functionality, it's mostly just a portable, stripped down computer to use around the house and take on trips and poo poo like that. It'd have to be marketed as both a tablet AND a games console, and not just "this games console comes with tablet functions too!", but if they called it something like the Nintendo Companion and made sure it actually works well as a tablet in terms of fast load times, responsive interface, let it load apps (android ones would be easiest, I guess) or at least give it a selection of applications that allow it to capture the section of the tablet market that mainly uses tablets as portable home entertainment devices/web browsers, then I think it could do well. Especially as the docking station would let you put anything you were watching on the handheld directly onto the TV, which I think tablets are still sometimes a bit awkward with? I don't know a tonne about tablets. It certainly makes a lot more sense to aim at that market and the games market, rather than just to release a kinda underpowered semi-portable semi-living room console just for the gaming market in this day and age.

Edit: The addendum to this idea is that it'd also make a lot of sense to sell the tablet and the docking station separately, or at least make them available separately as well as being sold as one product. That way you get people who just want to buy a tablet and/or portable games console, and they know they can upgrade by buying the docking unit later. Hell, if it supports android apps you'll have this weird thing where it might miss out on a lot of triple A gaming releases for consoles + PC, but it'll get PC-to-tablet ports like X-Com or Hearthstone.

you've obviously put a lot of thought into this and i feel a little bad about being so flippant but i still don't understand why the hell you want the most innovative software and hardware developer in the entire gaming industry to stop and waste a bunch of resources trying to build a device that's halfway dedicated to poo poo everyone already has on their mobile phones. i would rather them make a really good video game device my boss can't use to make me work from home. i understand that two markets are better than one, but attacking two markets also means dividing your resources in a way that seems likely to water down the core gaming components of their brand.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Paper Triangle posted:

you've obviously put a lot of thought into this and i feel a little bad about being so flippant but i still don't understand why the hell you want the most innovative software and hardware developer in the entire gaming industry to stop and waste a bunch of resources trying to build a device that's halfway dedicated to poo poo everyone already has on their mobile phones. i would rather them make a really good video game device my boss can't use to make me work from home. i understand that two markets are better than one, but attacking two markets also means dividing your resources in a way that seems likely to water down the core gaming components of their brand.

How could your boss make you use it? Also what boss makes you use a loving tablet to work from home, unless it's like a surface or something lol, or you work almost exclusively through email.

I like the Tablet as Gaming device thing(especially if it does end up using the X2). If Nintendo can build a device with an OS with less overhead than gaming on a Android, or make some custom fork of Android(which is unlikely), and closer access to the hardware. And then tossed some common apps(like consoles already do Netflix, internet, wwe network etc etc) . Then it'd be dope. I'm pretty sure that dumb thing isn't going to be remote desktopping into computers and poo poo.

What's the downside of having an openish app ecosystem(I mean for us, for Nintendo that thing will likely be all hell to police for their OS teams to prevent :filez:) But that doesn't split Nintendo's attention as the game devs are still gonna be working on game dev things. And Piracy poo poo, and small optimizations is what the OS team works p much exclusively after launch on most nintendo systems

But in reality it wouldn't be open, it'd just be where Netflix and other VOD could put their apps to be used on the Go, or pushed to a TV. Which is not really dividing resources.

Dexo fucked around with this message at 17:03 on Jul 28, 2016

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

Android has a lot of overhead, it's a big complicated beast that requires regular security updates and its changed from on high at regular intervals, requiring rewriting core parts of already published software for features that have nothing to do with gaming but could expose the console to exploits that allow people to pirate games or get Nintendo in trouble for having their customers' information and credit cards stolen, not to mention that I believe there's overhead with how Android implements opengl or something so all 3D games get a performance hit right off the bat.

Nintendo shouldn't have to deal with any of this poo poo and they'd be smart to avoid it by running their own custom OS that just does what they need it to do, as they've been doing for years now successfully enough.

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

Paper Triangle posted:

The whole thing about the disadvantages of splitting resources and making a dual-purpose device is why I think it's more of an "interesting" idea than a "good" one, and honestly I think Nintendo would probably not be the company to pull it off, since they have usually been pretty crap about things like good web browsers and online architecture. I just think that a big fancy tablet-esque games console might be what they're going for because it hits a lot of the Nintendo buttons, like targeting the family/children market, targeting markets outside of traditional game-buying audiences, and innovating hardware in weird directions rather than just beefing up existing specs.

Also, yeah, there's the worry that nintendo will waste a bunch of resources trying to implement all of the features that a "good tablet" has, and that's a legitimate concern. But maybe it won't be so difficult? If a family has a tablet in their home, it's mostly just for browsing the web, watching youtube + netflix, maybe reading ebooks, and playing games. Plenty of devices can do all of that poo poo well, so it's clearly doable. Like, yeah, for some reason it actually, genuinely is a valid concern that Nintendo could gently caress up putting chrome or a PDF viewer on a handheld computer, but maybe they'll succeed where many other people have succeeded before?

I just feel like most people don't want dedicated individual devices for all their needs these days, so making a dedicated games console is not the best idea. Especially when the console you make might not support the software that the rest of the games industry is producing on account of its nonstandard hardware setup. People buy these devices for the software available on them, and if you don't want to compete in the dedicated games console market, why not try and stick a foot in the tablet one, and take advantage of all the software being developed for tablets, and all the people who buy tablets to use that software?

I mean, it's not a perfect, surefire success of an idea, but imo neither is "make a games console that realistically, we will be the only ones developing content for" because we saw how badly that went with the WiiU, and I think it'd still be a dead end even when you consider that it'd allow all of Nintendo's software development teams to be working on games for one device instead of two. I'd rather see Nintendo take a stab at a weird game tablet/"portable entertainment software platform".

MechaCrash
Jan 1, 2013

I doubt Nintendo's going to make some super-versatile tablet thing. I suspect that it's going to be like their other offerings: sure, it can do that other stuff, but it is first and foremost a game machine because "a game machine" is what people bought it for. The PS3 made a big deal about being a multimedia entertainment hub for the entire family and it didn't do very well, and the Bone made the same mistakes. Nintendo, meanwhile, is the company that explained the Wii not being able to play DVDs with (and I paraphrase) "we don't want to pay the DVD licensing fee, and you probably already have a shitload of devices capable of playing DVDs, do you really need another?"

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

MechaCrash posted:

I doubt Nintendo's going to make some super-versatile tablet thing. I suspect that it's going to be like their other offerings: sure, it can do that other stuff, but it is first and foremost a game machine because "a game machine" is what people bought it for. The PS3 made a big deal about being a multimedia entertainment hub for the entire family and it didn't do very well, and the Bone made the same mistakes. Nintendo, meanwhile, is the company that explained the Wii not being able to play DVDs with (and I paraphrase) "we don't want to pay the DVD licensing fee, and you probably already have a shitload of devices capable of playing DVDs, do you really need another?"

Not to mention my money is on this thing having some sort of interface (PARALELL PROCESSING?) with the android/ios devices you already have, it's not supposed to be yet another one.

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

Yea, I don't think they're going to make a multipurpose, tablet-like device. Everyone has a phone or tablet who wants one. If they focus on making a good, affordable, dual-purpose Nintendo Games platform then it'll do well. I think Giant Bomb is on the right track with the no touch-screen idea.

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

The manger babies don't have feelings. You said it yourself.
if they don't make it a touch screen for the portable aspects, i bet you that a LOT of kids are going to try tapping the screen and get frustrated when it doesn't work.

especially when you realize that the original iphone is 9 years old and for a lot of younger people, touch screens are the norm that they know.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
There is literally no good reason for that screen to not be a touch screen. Even if it's not used for the gaming portion mostly.

Touch Interfaces are kinda what people expect of those devices. Also makes navigation and typing way easier.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off
I think no touch support would be a huge step backwards. The DS/3DS touch screen, if nothing else, makes dealing with menus and other more fiddly game elements soooo much better. I don't want to go back to typing things by moving a cursor around with the d-pad.

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

The touch screen is going to be that you connect any iPhone or Android device to it to use as a second screen and any features that require touch, calling it now.

general chaos
May 20, 2001
I wonder if Nvidia could sell Nintendo on the idea of allowing their game streaming capabilities to be licensed onto this console. Imagine having your PC doing the heavy lifting to allow "3rd party support" a backdoor entryway.

And the faces of the "Nintendo is doomed" crowd as Microsoft IPs play on a Nintendo console.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

general chaos posted:

And the faces of the "Nintendo is doomed" crowd as Microsoft IPs play on a Nintendo console.

Like minecraft already does

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

The manger babies don't have feelings. You said it yourself.

Real hurthling! posted:

Like minecraft already does

And really what other microsoft IPs are left nowadays?

Gears, Halo, Forza, and uh.....

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Instant Sunrise posted:

Battletoads.

Slur
Mar 6, 2013

It's the Final Countdown.

Instant Sunrise posted:

Killer Instinct I think belongs to them? I don't even know anymore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
I hope the NX is an attempt to resurrect the Virtual Boy.

• Locked thread