Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

the hardware silence switch and a full-size audio jack from the start on the iphone are the perfect illustration of the design genius apple used to have. no minimalism for minimalisms sake, design pleasing because it fits its purpose

the floppy removal comparison is especially flawed: it is sort of hard to remember now, but before the iphone even supposedly music-focused phones almost invariably failed to include a 3.5 mm jack (e.g. walkman phones with a horrible custom dongle, rokr with 2.5mm etc). apple effectively *introduced* it into a market filled with dongle- and adapter-ridden poo poo

rip steve etc.

excellent analysis when you completely ignore that bluetooth audio is a thing that exists and works, most cars for the last 5 years have a usb input that supports iphones, and you're going to get a dongle to support 3.5mm when on the go

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

this phone design would be completely unacceptable in 2008!!!

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
Bluetooth audio sucks rear end and Bluetooth headphones suck the most rear end.

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

considering people accept and pay for the shitass audio quality of satellite radio bluetooth streaming is more than acceptable for the vast majority of users and wireless is preferable. and again, dongle it. your use case is covered.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

it works for me tbh

it doesnt sound like 128kbps mp3s

and a bit better than 192kbps

it's fine

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

the hardware silence switch and a full-size audio jack from the start on the iphone are the perfect illustration of the design genius apple used to have. no minimalism for minimalisms sake, design pleasing because it fits its purpose

the floppy removal comparison is especially flawed: it is sort of hard to remember now, but before the iphone even supposedly music-focused phones almost invariably failed to include a 3.5 mm jack (e.g. walkman phones with a horrible custom dongle, rokr with 2.5mm etc). apple effectively *introduced* it into a market filled with dongle- and adapter-ridden poo poo

rip steve etc.

speaking as a design professor, this is a good analysis -- especially the point about no minimalism for minimalism's sake. jonny ive has always had a thing for that particular style, and he's good at it, but i get the feeling that in recent years the team has just been going "how can we make the physical product disappear?" which is not really what you want, from a user standpoint. you don't want the thing to be bulky and awkward, but there's also a certain range of forms that work with the human body, and "tiny in every way" isn't one of those.

furthermore, you can't realistically take a single aspect of a product out of context when you're doing a user study. ask the person "do you want your phone to be thinner?" and they'll probably say yes. let them hold the phone and discover that it slips out of their hand, they'll complain. show them that the thinness requires removing the headphone jack, and you'll get some real feedback about the tradeoffs you're making.

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

excellent analysis when you completely ignore that bluetooth audio is a thing that exists and works, most cars for the last 5 years have a usb input that supports iphones, and you're going to get a dongle to support 3.5mm when on the go

3.5mm audio is also "a thing that exists and works", and it works with a billion different products that people already own, and it doesn't require a battery in your headphones and it won't crap out in the airport when there are 80 other people within a hundred feet all using the same product.

dongles are bad in general, but they're especially idiotic when it's just turning one small connector into another small connector.

i have yet to hear anyone in this thread explain why it's good to remove the audio jack from the phone -- just a lot of people giving the possible workarounds or reasons why it won't be so bad. what do i, the non-technical woman or child, gain from this?

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 15:14 on Jul 28, 2016

maniacdevnull
Apr 18, 2007

FOUR CUBIC FRAMES
DISPROVES SOFT G GOD
YOU ARE EDUCATED STUPID

Sagebrush posted:

. ask the person "do you want your phone to be thinner?" and they'll probably say yes. let them hold the phone and discover that it slips out of their hand, they'll complain. show them that the thinness requires removing the headphone jack, and you'll get some real feedback about the tradeoffs you're making.

Stop saying they're making it thinner unless they make the camera lump thinner. Measure from the thickest point.

Dolomite
Jul 26, 2000
Cars & Legs

rip steve etc.

uh huh

praise steve, disregard recessed 3.5mm

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
I was on a plane the other day and some goon lord with an iPhone in front of me was cycling through all these different dongles and special cases with all these accessories attached to them and it made me feel bad. our dongle future is now

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

people love dongles

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

well, i know that people love my dongle

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

maniacdevnull posted:

Stop saying they're making it thinner unless they make the camera lump thinner. Measure from the thickest point.

The Merkinman posted:

But you measure thinness from the thinnest point.

reminder: this is really a thing apple does

the first macbook air was "as thin as a pencil*"

*at the front edge, still 3/4" thick at the hinge

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

Shaggar posted:

lumia 950 owns and has both a headphone jack and a standards based data/charging port

i rly should use one of those

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

oh god no

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

lmao

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

looooooooool

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

every time i see some of the inane poo poo that apple manages to patent, i think i should get off my rear end and patent the inane poo poo i come up with for a random niche on my bike or around the house, because god drat they are just giving those things away

then i remember that apple probably has a team of 100 patent attorneys, all of whom are paid 10 times what the examiner at the patent office makes

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

:barf:

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
it's wonderful. it makes no goddamn sense and there's no coherent use case for it on a full size device, so you know they're going to do it

and then they'll further butcher their interaction model to make it fit

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
it will be used for volume by default but then also change to not be volume in some apps and you can press it to do random functions per app.

THE BIG DOG DADDY
Oct 16, 2013

Rasheed was, with Aliases, the top 7 PvPers in Bone Krew.

No one talks about this.
crank dat ipad boy

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

putting a battery in your headphones does not make them better, it makes them worse

when i am "on the go" is exactly when i do not want a dongle

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

you're already insisting on being tethered to the device with a cord in that scenario having a dongle that you leave on the end of the cord is not going to impact you at all

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

you're already insisting on being tethered to the device with a cord in that scenario having a dongle that you leave on the end of the cord is not going to impact you at all

who cares about the wire when it means I don't have to carry around a usb adapter and charger for another device with a battery?

dongles are dumb and bad. it's another thing i have to carry around and keep track of, if i unplug my headphone and dongle, then plug my headphones into my work laptop to join a conference call, i now have a dongle that i have to remember. dongles are bad, i can not believe you are defending this idea, it's just a dumb and bad idea to have a dongle for a connector that already works fine

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop
look at how dumb this thing is

there is no world in which this makes the phone better, if this is actually what they are doing then whoever decided that this is an acceptable solution is just a dumbass

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

im a wireless girl, living in the wireless world

life in waves, its the way

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

please satan yes

med school head
Apr 17, 2012
holy poo poo who cares about the headphone port

people with headphones will use the adapter and day-to-day life will remain the same (horrible)

my 64gb se is still the best phone thanks and god bless

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

iPhone vs Bible - 10 ways they look the same (+2, Funny)
BarbaraHudson 3 hours ago
So do Bible thumpers - and they've got a lot in common with Apple fanbois.
1. The two groups live in reality distortion fields;
2. They both act smugly superior;
3. They both show the same behaviors as any other cult;
4. They both have over a billion sold;
5. They both end up costing a lot more to their average user than competing products (atheisim and android);
6. They both eagerly await the next revelation.
7. There's bugs in both - and the updates to "fix" them;
8. They both claim better security; 9. They both claim to be a better value over the long term;
10. They both have a messiah who rose from the dead.
And for the bonus - eventually many outgrow their narrow view. :-)

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Citizen Tayne posted:

iPhone vs Bible - 10 ways they look the same (+2, Funny)
BarbaraHudson 3 hours ago
So do Bible thumpers - and they've got a lot in common with Apple fanbois.
1. The two groups live in reality distortion fields;
2. They both act smugly superior;
3. They both show the same behaviors as any other cult;
4. They both have over a billion sold;
5. They both end up costing a lot more to their average user than competing products (atheisim and android);
6. They both eagerly await the next revelation.
7. There's bugs in both - and the updates to "fix" them;
8. They both claim better security; 9. They both claim to be a better value over the long term;
10. They both have a messiah who rose from the dead.
And for the bonus - eventually many outgrow their narrow view. :-)

Pwned by Logic.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

I would plug my iphone in to another iphone and make them have iphone sex while the usb bus shorts out

))<>((

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

it would be cool if you could plug a double ended lightning cable between two iphones and a bubble of electricity would travel down the wire from each phone like looney tunes and then they would meet in the middle and the cable would swell up real big and explode

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?

Sagebrush posted:

speaking as a design professor, this is a good analysis -- especially the point about no minimalism for minimalism's sake. jonny ive has always had a thing for that particular style, and he's good at it, but i get the feeling that in recent years the team has just been going "how can we make the physical product disappear?" which is not really what you want, from a user standpoint. you don't want the thing to be bulky and awkward, but there's also a certain range of forms that work with the human body, and "tiny in every way" isn't one of those.

furthermore, you can't realistically take a single aspect of a product out of context when you're doing a user study. ask the person "do you want your phone to be thinner?" and they'll probably say yes. let them hold the phone and discover that it slips out of their hand, they'll complain. show them that the thinness requires removing the headphone jack, and you'll get some real feedback about the tradeoffs you're making.

who cares what people think. people are idiots. if steve had listened to random user study morons in 2007 the first iphone would have been a clamshell with a blackberry keyboard

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

yes that's exactly what i'm saying

ask a person "do you want a thinner phone?" and they will say "hell yeah! give me that! that sounds good!" because they have no idea what they want.

that's why you give them the phone prototype and watch them using it for a couple of weeks and see what happens. and you count the number of times the person drops it, and time how long it takes them to dig for the dongle when they want to listen to music, and ask them how they feel about the phone every day of those two weeks so you get a realistic sample.

this is basic market research 101. look up the pasta sauce studies for an example of just how simple and stupid the product can be and still have people be unable to accurately describe what they need (or just outright lie about it)

this type of design research is hard to do and expensive, and it often tells prima donna designers things that they don't want to hear, which is why it's so uncommon. it's also totally incompatible with apple's need to keep everything a secret from everyone until the moment it's released.

"we tested this design on a sample of ten highly educated tech-savvy 25-to-50-year-old designers working at apple, and they all loved it!"

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 19:51 on Jul 28, 2016

THE BIG DOG DADDY
Oct 16, 2013

Rasheed was, with Aliases, the top 7 PvPers in Bone Krew.

No one talks about this.
in any of your alls fantasies have you considered that people will just leave the dongle attached to the headphones making it basically still one cord, or do you all just imagine that every time somebody finishes listening to music they unplug the dongle, then unplug the headphone from the dongle and then put them in two separate places?

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

YA BOY ETHAN COUCH posted:

in any of your alls fantasies have you considered that people will just leave the dongle attached to the headphones making it basically still one cord, or do you all just imagine that every time somebody finishes listening to music they unplug the dongle, then unplug the headphone from the dongle and then put them in two separate places?

leave the dongle on the headphone: works great until i have a conference call and i have to plug my headphones into my laptop

leave the dongle on the phone: works bad because now i have a flappy thing hanging off my phone for no reason, also i don't know if unplugging the headphones from the dongle will divert audio to the speaker or if i have to unplug the dongle for that

the dongle is going to be an extra thing that you have to keep track of, it's bad

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

is the dongle included in the dimension and weight specs for the phone?????????

if not, some lawyers are going to make a lot of money in the class action.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

presumably a lightning dongle would be smart enough to know if something is plugged into the other end and report to the phone if it's being used for audio or not. they do have arm microcontrollers in them

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

med school head
Apr 17, 2012
all of that is stupid

the one thing i am curious about is how compatible it will be with phone cases because thats the issue many have with the 30 pin to lightning adapters

would actually be annoying and stupid to have to take the case off to plug the adaptter in

• Locked thread