Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

minidracula
Dec 22, 2007

boo woo boo

MockingQuantum posted:

Well fwiw the reason I ask is because GForce is a British company.... so as long as you're not in the UK, this'll be the "cheapest" it is for a while.
Very true, and yeah, I checked the exchange rate daily when I started looking at maybe picking it up (post-Brexit announcement), but I've not been in a rush because 1) I have the Korg ARP Odyssey, 2) it's a premium priced plug-in regardless, and the exchange rate fluctuations right now may make a difference, but not a profound one for me (since I already missed the most serious drop in USD-GBP before it recovered somewhat), and 3) I have other stuff I have dollars allocated for "first", both in SW and HW.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

K-EJ
Nov 19, 2006
Sound Toys is having a pretty good sale right now at 50% off. If you picked up all their "mini" and "little" effects around Christmas for cheap, you should be able to update to their whole effects suite for $120. I traded in 6 effects for the upgrade.

JamesKPolk
Apr 9, 2009

Zartans Lady Mask posted:

I guess I'm really after something that sits somewhere in the middle between Kontakt and Battery in terms of complexity and functionality, but for a cheap (or free, heh); I expect that this is wishful thinking, though. Failing that, I'll just sack-up and stick with EXS24 until Komplete goes on sale with a deeper discount.

Have you tried Ultrabeat in Logic? Its their bundled "do that" thing (or it was in 9 at least). It does synthesis too (does battery? I barely used it) but you can use samples as a sound source (and mix w/ synthesis if you want).

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer

K-EJ posted:

Sound Toys is having a pretty good sale right now at 50% off. If you picked up all their "mini" and "little" effects around Christmas for cheap, you should be able to update to their whole effects suite for $120. I traded in 6 effects for the upgrade.

you fucker why did you have to tell me that

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug

Trig Discipline posted:

you fucker why did you have to tell me that

iLok tho.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Yeah but it only requires an ilok account, not a dongle. And you don't even have to use ilok's software to validate, Soundtoys has a thing that does it on its own. Really not the hassle most ilok stuff is.

evacuate meatspace
Jun 26, 2014

there is a monster at
the end of this thread
Can't vouch for this yet, but here's a $200 thing you can download for free using code UMPG-FREEDS until July 24

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q6HqUOW8EG4

http://www.uvi.net/en/vintage-corner/digital-synsations.html

Graceful Flop
Feb 1, 2014

Dive in.

evacuate meatspace posted:

Can't vouch for this yet, but here's a $200 thing you can download for free using code UMPG-FREEDS until July 24

These sound pretty sick with heavy use of the bitcrusher. Though maybe I'm dumb but I can't seem to figure out how to load an init patch on the UVI software?

Scatterfold
Nov 4, 2008

Neat - thank you!

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I grabbed that last time around. Sounds pretty good, if a bit outside the range of what I use regularly.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Trig Discipline posted:

I grabbed that last time around. Sounds pretty good, if a bit outside the range of what I use regularly.

Same, except it's right up my alley :haw:

evacuate meatspace
Jun 26, 2014

there is a monster at
the end of this thread

K-EJ posted:

I got a 42% discount on Soundtoys 5 simply because I downloaded Little Alterboy for free a while back.

So I make yet another Faustian pact with iLok. Though I've had more issues with Waves' license manager, tbh

Quincy Smallvoice
Mar 18, 2006

Bitches leave
Pretty slick third party GUI/skin for Diva.

8 EUR, there's a demo too.

CerealKilla420
Jan 3, 2014

"I need a handle man..."

Oldstench posted:

Get a cheap tape recorder and do it as god intended.

Tascam Portastudio

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Motherfucker, WHY didn't I check this thread last week?! :argh: :negative:

Anveo
Mar 23, 2002
AIR Xpand!2 is currently $1. Dongleless iLok it looks like. http://www.pluginboutique.com/products/1560-Xpand-2

WorldWarWonderful
Jul 15, 2004
Eh?

64bit_Dophins posted:

Tascam Portastudio

More expensive than most VSTs. Can I blame the lo-fi obsessed hipster demographic?

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go

WorldWarWonderful posted:

More expensive than most VSTs. Can I blame the lo-fi obsessed hipster demographic?
Bought a Polaroid instant camera off eBay - turned out my phone had a camera this whole time.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Anveo posted:

AIR Xpand!2 is currently $1. Dongleless iLok it looks like. http://www.pluginboutique.com/products/1560-Xpand-2

Cool! Not sure it's going to become part of my regular kit, but you can't beat the price.

Molestationary Store
May 21, 2007

Don't know if I'll ever get around to trying all the different sounds that are in Xpand2. Definitely worth a buck.

Quincy Smallvoice
Mar 18, 2006

Bitches leave
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1BEnNXGp46k

it begins

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
25% dislikes so far, man people are really upset about software being upgraded these days

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

25% dislikes so far, man people are really upset about software being upgraded these days

Well, an optional, paid upgrade to a plugin that I own is fine. In the same vein, I've now blocked iTunes from accessing the internet, since I use it for my SFX library handling (works pretty well!), and holy poo poo, do I not want that updated. It's working juuuuuuust fine as it is, but Apple just won't quit, trying to update my install so they can start cataloguing my files, and replacing/removing them. :argh:

Quincy Smallvoice
Mar 18, 2006

Bitches leave
as far as I can tell, new things are that Form synth, and Una Corda which I know has been around a while.

Anything else?

edit: well.. reaktor 6

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Might make the upgrade when it goes on sale, I've been wanting to play with Reaktor 6 and Form looks kinda cool.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Well, an optional, paid upgrade to a plugin that I own is fine. In the same vein, I've now blocked iTunes from accessing the internet, since I use it for my SFX library handling (works pretty well!), and holy poo poo, do I not want that updated. It's working juuuuuuust fine as it is, but Apple just won't quit, trying to update my install so they can start cataloguing my files, and replacing/removing them. :argh:

Friends don't let friends do this to themselves. http://www.icedaudio.com/site/

wayfinder
Jul 7, 2003
I bought Komplete 7, and 11 still ain't making me wanna upgrade real hard...

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

MockingQuantum posted:

Friends don't let friends do this to themselves. http://www.icedaudio.com/site/

Oh.... oh my god.

:glomp: thank you SO much! It's actually be a few years since I gave up the search for a good audio library organizer/browser, and this looks like it'll be PERFECT. Holy poo poo :toot: I just thought that I'd never have Soundminer, so who cares, I'll just use iTunes, and that's that.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Oh.... oh my god.

:glomp: thank you SO much! It's actually be a few years since I gave up the search for a good audio library organizer/browser, and this looks like it'll be PERFECT. Holy poo poo :toot: I just thought that I'd never have Soundminer, so who cares, I'll just use iTunes, and that's that.

Yeah, the options have changed dramatically in the last couple of years. That seems to be the standout for Mac (at least, that isn't Soundminer/Basehead price tier). PC is a little more tough.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

I think people are mostly hating the video itself, given the comments. NI sent out an email this morning to Komplete owners saying "LOOK WHAT'S NEW IN K11" with a link to the video, and the video has no information whatsoever about that.

I'm a lot more irritated with what's not being upgraded. Kontakt was way overdue for a real overhaul before the LAST release cycle, and they still haven't done it in this one. Kontakt is basically the go-to sampler for a whole shitload of professionals, and it still doesn't even have MPE.

Quincy Smallvoice
Mar 18, 2006

Bitches leave

Swagger Dagger posted:

Might make the upgrade when it goes on sale, I've been wanting to play with Reaktor 6 and Form looks kinda cool.

blocks are really fun

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

new stuff looks cool, not $200 cool.

breaks
May 12, 2001

Yeah for me Reaktor is the only compelling thing and I already upgraded that separately so...

Blocks are a lot of fun though.

mr_package
Jun 13, 2000

Motherfucker, WHY didn't I check this thread last week?! :argh: :negative:

It's given away for free all the time. Well, 2 times a year or so. Keep an eye on kvr deals thread and/or sign up to JRR Shop / AudioDeleuxe newsletters. And UVI newsletter too maybe. It will be announced in one of those! :-)

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.
Unfiltered Audio is giving away their Indent distortion plugin until the 15th. You have to register, but it's still a good deal.
https://www.plugin-alliance.com/en/products/unfiltered_audio_indent.html

field balm
Feb 5, 2012

Oldstench posted:

Unfiltered Audio is giving away their Indent distortion plugin until the 15th. You have to register, but it's still a good deal.
https://www.plugin-alliance.com/en/products/unfiltered_audio_indent.html

This is a really nice sounding distortion, especially for this price. Don't sleep on it!

minidracula
Dec 22, 2007

boo woo boo
Hey VST thread! Here's a dumb question I've been meaning to ask here, but haven't (until now!)

Quite a while ago, I bought a Waves plugin (SoundShifter) when it was on some crazy sale (I think based on a tip here in this same thread!). Lately, whenever something (e.g. a DAW or VST host) scans all my plugins, or directly tries to load SoundShifter, I get a Waves license manager message saying no licenses can be found.

I know this plugin was licensed, because I went through the horrible Waves downloader and licenser when I bought this (and I loaded it then and used it, etc.). Do I need to update something in order to keep it licensed? Because the Waves BS was already annoying before, and if I need to keep updating and policing it, well, I don't think it's probably worth what I paid for this plugin on discount.

Any ideas though, thread?

Gym Leader Barack
Oct 31, 2005

Grimey Drawer

minidracula posted:

Hey VST thread! Here's a dumb question I've been meaning to ask here, but haven't (until now!)

Quite a while ago, I bought a Waves plugin (SoundShifter) when it was on some crazy sale (I think based on a tip here in this same thread!). Lately, whenever something (e.g. a DAW or VST host) scans all my plugins, or directly tries to load SoundShifter, I get a Waves license manager message saying no licenses can be found.

I know this plugin was licensed, because I went through the horrible Waves downloader and licenser when I bought this (and I loaded it then and used it, etc.). Do I need to update something in order to keep it licensed? Because the Waves BS was already annoying before, and if I need to keep updating and policing it, well, I don't think it's probably worth what I paid for this plugin on discount.

Any ideas though, thread?

Any hardware changes/OS upgrades during that time? That might be enough for the licenser to see the computer as a different machine and need reactivation. I know waves has some dicky stuff with time limitations but I think that just relates to how long you are eligible for software updates, not how long you get to use it. Honestly the best solution with waves stuff is to just pirate the plugins that you own and not deal with their bullshit licensing software.

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
Its so bad that that is often the solution, buy something legitimately and then have to pirate it because owning it legally and 'proving' it is such a relentless pain in the dick. Whilst i dislike having a usb port wasted I'm actually a lot more on board with steinberg's elicenser than i thought I'd be cos once its activated thats it. Now if only they'd all collaborate so there was just the one dongle thing. And it was an optional free extra when you buy Komplete/an interface/usb noseflute that you can decline if you already have one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gym Leader Barack
Oct 31, 2005

Grimey Drawer
I'm a huge fan of the Native Instruments one, its the same in that it activates and then never hassles you again. I hate the idea of something running resident on my computer 24/7/4eva just to make sure I still own the bit of software I once bought from them.