Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Crop insurance is the other part of farmer payout that isn't subsidies or sales. My mother used to be a crop insurance agent. Every farmer has their entire field covered, and if it doesn't turn out right, often times they'll let a particular crop die and not harvest it in order to file the insurance claim. Sometimes it's a matter of "sorghum grew great this year at all the fields, if you actually harvest yours Jim you'll end up losing $1 a bushel because the market is flooded. Just write it off as a loss and insurance will pay $2/bushel for the loss." Sometimes you actually have a fire or something that destroys a crop.

My dad fixes tractors, though, and yeah those aren't cheap in the least bit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Mad Doctor Cthulhu posted:

That's not just the South. There's tons of people in the Midwest who drive very fancy F-350s that are all nice and shiny (complete with a metal lockbox that will never, ever see any tool use) for some kind of imagined status. America has this bizarre fetishization of the pioneer that hasn't been accurate for at least 250 years. This is what happens when you grow up watching TV Westerns and mistake it for reality.

Well, that, and horrible insecurity. The Hyacinth Bucket of the American Man.

Bonus points if they modded it to have stacks coming out of the bed. I mean, I can understand that if they actually do see actual use in the field, directing the exhaust away from the ground is fine and dandy, but usually it's just coal rollers thinking they're hot poo poo.

Mad Doctor Cthulhu
Mar 3, 2008

iospace posted:

Bonus points if they modded it to have stacks coming out of the bed. I mean, I can understand that if they actually do see actual use in the field, directing the exhaust away from the ground is fine and dandy, but usually it's just coal rollers thinking they're hot poo poo.

Or lifts. God, the number of times I see short, angry men in lifted trucks.

Also flagpoles, because you know the motherfucker will have a confederate flag somewhere on there.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
I haven't seen truck nuts for a while, so I guess the rubber scrotum is no longer a sign of masculinity these days

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Or lifts. God, the number of times I see short, angry men in lifted trucks.

Also flagpoles, because you know the motherfucker will have a confederate flag somewhere on there.

One of my regulars at my work got a full sized GMC truck (1500) and he's in his 80s. Unmodded, mind you, but he's definitely not tall by any stretch of the imagination. There's also a guy around here with a huge (or well, "standard size", big for a truck though) US flag attached to a bed flagpole and a couple of those window flags (also US) for good measure.

I saw a lifted Wrangler the other day, but it was covered in mud, so I knew it was someone who actually used it for offroad purposes instead of wiping it down with a diaper every five seconds.

Iron Crowned posted:

I haven't seen truck nuts for a while, so I guess the rubber scrotum is no longer a sign of masculinity these days

On the note of tow hitches, I saw the best tow hitch cover a few months ago: "I fish, therefore I lie".

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Iron Crowned posted:

They're not "truck nuts" anymore, they're "funny hearts" and they're for bike sissies now:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01GZWTZMA/ref=?tag=natdee-20

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

iospace posted:

I saw a lifted Wrangler the other day, but it was covered in mud, so I knew it was someone who actually used it for offroad purposes instead of wiping it down with a diaper every five seconds.

Even at that, of the people I knew that were into truck culture and actually did offroading, they kept 2 trucks around. One was a lovely beater pickup that they would take to do their offroading, and the other was their $60,000 diaper polish baby that they kept around as their status symbol.

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse
^ I was into the culture a bit back when I had my truck, an '88 GMC 1500 4x4, never lifted it as it already looked mean enough as it sat. But I'd watch those shows on CMT on Sundays to see what kinda poo poo I could do and was always disappointed.
"Well, we're gonna install this steering kit into our project truck because it'll do most of the work for us. Such a setup will run you about 6,000 and take a weekend to do, but for your grocery getter, it's really worth it" and shows them using a loving professional mechanic's garage to do it.

And yeah, it got a mud bath every Saturday in the summer

iospace posted:

Yeah, had a coworker a while back that had one of those super duty diesels lifted and all that poo poo and the exhaust placed just in the right sweet spot so he could roll up next to cars and roll some coal into their windows.
He lost that truck after a while. Decided to roll coal on the local unmarked police cruiser. The cops were not the slightest bit amused. Impounded his truck and leveled fines adding up to $3500.
Wreckless driving
speeding
loud exhaust plus a few other fix it tickets.
And a few others I can't remember having to do with vehicle height and other poo poo.

SocketWrench has issued a correction as of 23:31 on Jul 26, 2016

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

SocketWrench posted:

Yeah, had a coworker a while back that had one of those super duty diesels lifted and all that poo poo and the exhaust placed just in the right sweet spot so he could roll up next to cars and roll some coal into their windows.
He lost that truck after a while. Decided to roll coal on the local unmarked police cruiser. The cops were not the slightest bit amused. Impounded his truck and leveled fines adding up to $3500.
Wreckless driving
speeding
And a few others I can't remember having to do with vehicle height and other poo poo.

This makes me very happy. :peanut:

Mad Doctor Cthulhu
Mar 3, 2008

Parallel Paraplegic posted:

They're not "truck nuts" anymore, they're "funny hearts" and they're for bike sissies now:

You ever get the feeling that there's a culture of mirroring the Other in our current political spectrum? Because I'm seeing it, and I get the feeling that might be just what eventually bridges the divide. Or just shows two sets of assholes.

DeathSandwich posted:

Even at that, of the people I knew that were into truck culture and actually did offroading, they kept 2 trucks around. One was a lovely beater pickup that they would take to do their offroading, and the other was their $60,000 diaper polish baby that they kept around as their status symbol.

That's a bit sad in its own way. I remember when dualies were all the rage until people realized they got poo poo traction in the winter. I happened to see this in person after one snowstorm when my 1993 Olds 88 was having enough trouble staying on the road but the dualie in front of me was swaying into the opposing lane or the ditch when doing 10-15 miles per hour. The stop we had was on a slight incline that was bad in my car but seeing the ten minute struggle of that beast to gain traction in slush and ice was downright horrifying.

SocketWrench posted:

^ I was into the culture a bit back when I had my truck, an '88 GMC 1500 4x4, never lifted it as it already looked mean enough as it sat. But I'd watch those shows on CMT on Sundays to see what kinda poo poo I could do and was always disappointed.
"Well, we're gonna install this steering kit into our project truck because it'll do most of the work for us. Such a setup will run you about 6,000 and take a weekend to do, but for your grocery getter, it's really worth it" and shows them using a loving professional mechanic's garage to do it.

And yeah, it got a mud bath every Saturday in the summer

Wreckless driving
speeding

Yeah, a lot of those mods cost a pretty penny and there are definitely cheaper and less safe ways to do it as well. But I think that speaks to the whole of this culture that brings us the Bundys and the 'freedom fighters' and all that poo poo: it's all just phony masculinity that just happens to attract people who will actually kill for it, and it's just so sad. One part of it is the single-issue voting that has eroded any chance for anybody without a college degree to get a job to support themselves on, but that very same part is fueled by that rage against the mysterious Other that takes over their senses. It's almost like American masculinity is such an unobtainable thing that it drives everybody crazy or at least makes it hard for anybody to challenge.

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

Yeah, a lot of those mods cost a pretty penny and there are definitely cheaper and less safe ways to do it as well. But I think that speaks to the whole of this culture that brings us the Bundys and the 'freedom fighters' and all that poo poo: it's all just phony masculinity that just happens to attract people who will actually kill for it, and it's just so sad. One part of it is the single-issue voting that has eroded any chance for anybody without a college degree to get a job to support themselves on, but that very same part is fueled by that rage against the mysterious Other that takes over their senses. It's almost like American masculinity is such an unobtainable thing that it drives everybody crazy or at least makes it hard for anybody to challenge.

True, you can see it on all types of poo poo. I invite people to go to TFR and look through the tacticlol thread to see that poo poo. Some stuff is just batshit nuts, but god, someone's penis got hard seeing it

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

In large parts of Australia it is socially condemned to have a clean 4WD. It's supposed to have dust on it.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

Oh my god, do they dangle?

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo

StandardVC10 posted:

https://media.riffsy.com/videos/c4a9bf7a10dadba5e5fc3eb80b3af4f6/webm

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.

I don't know, I lived in upstate New York for two years which is pretty red for a blue state and didn't see half as many giant lifted F-350 King Ranch Editions with ram bars and spotlights as I do here, not that I was particularly looking for them.

Probably has something to do with the crushing poverty.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

Volcott posted:

Probably has something to do with the crushing poverty.

I'm in upstate NY and the only reason you don't see F-350 King Ranches driving around is because everyone has a Dodge

Starshark
Dec 22, 2005
Doctor Rope
I'm hoping one of the Bundy crew tries to hold a guard hostage with a pocket constitution or something soon so we can move on from the AI chat.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

You ever get the feeling that there's a culture of mirroring the Other in our current political spectrum? Because I'm seeing it, and I get the feeling that might be just what eventually bridges the divide. Or just shows two sets of assholes.

That's a bit sad in its own way. I remember when dualies were all the rage until people realized they got poo poo traction in the winter. I happened to see this in person after one snowstorm when my 1993 Olds 88 was having enough trouble staying on the road but the dualie in front of me was swaying into the opposing lane or the ditch when doing 10-15 miles per hour. The stop we had was on a slight incline that was bad in my car but seeing the ten minute struggle of that beast to gain traction in slush and ice was downright horrifying.

I really believe a lot of the general right wing rage comes from this obsession with a nonsensical idea that it'll somehow make them a "real man." Just look at the usual right wing platform: they obsess over being completely self-sufficient, reject any form of compassion project or understanding complex issues could exist, attack the "Other," rage about "purity," denounce intellectualism, and despise LGBT people for breaking their tradition as if it was the most important of all issues. So much can be traced back to the desire to emulate an ideal that doesn't even make sense.

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

StandardVC10 posted:

Do They Wobble to and Fro?
Can You Tie Them in a Knot?
Can You Tie Them in a Bow?
Can You Throw Them Over Your Shoulder Like a Continental Soldier?

Couldn't resist. for 5 bucks i had to buy a set for the moped just to laugh at

SocketWrench has issued a correction as of 15:17 on Jul 27, 2016

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

SocketWrench posted:

Wreckless driving
speeding

Good.

I had a guy come in to work with a lifted F-250 Diesel. He said he gets people constantly asking him to roll coal, and his response always is, "If you want me to roll coal, please give me the money for the gas and the eventual repair bills." That shuts them up reaaaaaaal quick.

On that note, I worked at a car wash once, lifted truck that just squeeks under our wire for our height limit comes in. Owner whines that his tires are bald. Burns out of the parking lot.

Weird that dualies would get worse traction in the winter. More tread on the ground would mean more traction right? Assuming they A. have non-bald tires, and B. at least have all-seasons on it (or better, winter tires). And isn't the first thing you do in winter is buy a bunch of sand bags and toss them in the bed? I digress.

quote:

You know, this makes sense. They think they're sticking it to the man when all they're doing is making themselves look like fools to the masses. Of course, when the masses call them out on it, they always go "YOU'RE BRAINWASHED!" or something like that.

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

iospace posted:

Weird that dualies would get worse traction in the winter. More tread on the ground would mean more traction right? Assuming they A. have non-bald tires, and B. at least have all-seasons on it (or better, winter tires). And isn't the first thing you do in winter is buy a bunch of sand bags and toss them in the bed? I digress.

Yeah, but ya gotta remember, when one wheel breaks loose, that's it. Now you have two sets of treads spinning wild and sucking all the power off the other two.
That's why stupid people with 4x4 end up in the ditch in winter. Doesn't matter how many wheels are powered, if one breaks loose and takes all the power from the others, you're goin' for a spin. I used to laugh at those old all wheel drive commercials for like Subaru and poo poo where the guy's gliding on ice regretting not buying "The all wheel drive Subaru Deluxe!" On ice it doesn't matter, you're gonna slide

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

SocketWrench posted:

Yeah, but ya gotta remember, when one wheel breaks loose, that's it. Now you have two sets of treads spinning wild and sucking all the power off the other two.
That's why stupid people with 4x4 end up in the ditch in winter. Doesn't matter how many wheels are powered, if one breaks loose and takes all the power from the others, you're goin' for a spin. I used to laugh at those old all wheel drive commercials for like Subaru and poo poo where the guy's gliding on ice regretting not buying "The all wheel drive Subaru Deluxe!" On ice it doesn't matter, you're gonna slide

Fair enough. I usually say, "AWD is only useful when you're accelerating." It doesn't contribute to grip or anything, which is why I also say, "Buy winter tires in the winter, if you can afford them." I run all-seasons, but I can't afford a second set of wheels or tires right now. It works out well enough for me. Then again, I don't drive like a freaking idiot in the snow.

Anyway, how many of the idiots up in Oregon have pleaded guilty now?

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

Here's some tweets to sate your sovcit thirsts

https://twitter.com/maxoregonian/status/758083962707120128

https://twitter.com/maxoregonian/status/757982790361108481

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

Thank you for non-truck content :tipshat:

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

He gave the judge 72 whole hours to respond; how generous of him.

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
Some more fun times!
Kansas mom whose kids sang at Oregon standoff loses custody[/quote]

quote:

Odalis Sharp’s children had detailed to the Shawnee County District Court judge how their mother had beaten them, yelled at them and called them names. They talked about how their siblings would scream at the pain and how their mother would say she was trying to “beat the fire” out of them. She’d make them put pumps of hand soap in their mouths to wash it out. She’d cut them off from the outside world, the kids said.

Sharp, of Auburn, Kan., told the judge she wasn’t a bad mother. She wasn’t a monster. She loved her kids.

But by Wednesday afternoon, Judge Steven Ebberts had heard enough. There was a line between punishment and abuse, Ebberts said, and the mother had repeatedly crossed it.

Sharp has 10 children, but several are over 18. The younger children were ordered to remain in state custody. Odalis and Tim Sharp divorced in 2012.

Before the ruling, Sharp said she was a woman of God, who had raised her kids right.

“I think the real abuse is to take these children from their home,” Sharp said.

If they moved, Sharp told them, more swats from the rod would follow. She’d use the rod to spank them on their butt, but sometimes it would hit their thighs, the children testified. Sometimes it would break the skin. Sometimes they would bleed.

“I have to administer a spanking and I don’t want to hit you in the wrong place,” one of the children who testified said their mother told them.

The rods came out after the children had disappointed her, disobeyed a rule or frustrated their mother, they testified. The kids remembered standing on the stairs, listening as their mother spanked one of the other kids with the rod, yelling and screaming Bible verses during the punishment.

“C’mon, it wasn’t that bad,” one child recalled the mother saying. “Stop crying.”

The kids also struggled to read at their grade level.

The children would wake up by 8 a.m. and have Bible lessons and breakfast, they testified. They would practice music and do chores. They would have lunch and sometimes do school work, depending on the day. They would practice their music again, have dinner, and the day would come to a close.

As the three children finished testifying, Sharp told each one that she loved them. She never apologized for hurting them.

“I love you all,” Sharp said. “But it seems you have made your choice.”

At a certain point, the kids said the beatings and abuse became too much to handle. One ran away, and soon the others followed suit.

“We felt it was unsafe,” one of the teenage Sharps said. “We were not sure what would happen in the future.”

If Sharp had to, she repeatedly said, she’d use her rights to protect her family.

That comment worried one of her older kids. The child couldn’t help thinking that if the state came back to the house, and the mother brandished a weapon, there could be a shootout. There was a sense of terror in that Auburn, Kan., home, the kids said.

There were evil spirits in the house right before the kids ran away, Sharp said. The kids were using bad words and disobeying her. Other adults had meddled in their lives, she said. Sharp knew her children were angry. Sharp said her kids were rebelling, acting out. They had lied to her, she said, so she’d punished them.

“I properly discipline them,” Sharp said. “That’s why they are excellent children.”

Sharp was one of the first ones out of the courtroom after the ruling. She passed her children as she left the courtroom. No one said a word.

Sharp has 30 days to appeal the judge’s ruling. The children’s father has asked the court if the children could come live with him. For now, the children will stay in state custody. The father’s request will be heard by the court later this summer

Standing in front of her rusted blue van in the court’s parking lot, Odalis Sharp said she hadn’t decided if she’d appeal. The charges were trumped up, she said.

“I think crying wolf, crying abuse, was their way out,” she said about her kids.

The whole article is worth a read at the source.

Man rejects court's authority citing unofficial flag
This one's a video, and is fantastic. There's an interview with the judge, a sovict guru, and an arrest video by the defendant!

Sovereign citizen arrested again, one week after guilty conviction
This one's just fun.

well HECK Phil
Feb 25, 2010
Toilet Rascal

Some Miserable Person posted:

“I think crying wolf, crying abuse, was their way out,” she said about her kids.

Really? You're going to say that about your own children? This shows an alarming disconnect this women has with her ten kids.

Edit: Even if it's true that they're saying something to get out, that still sets a precedence that somethings wrong if they're looking to flee their home. It's not something you do for kicks, you're a horrible person and you should really look deep down in yourself and realize how far you are from being a decent human being or a "Christian".

well HECK Phil has issued a correction as of 19:56 on Jul 28, 2016

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Hah! Of course if she calls on the idiot militia to liberate her kids from the syate things could go bad.

red19fire
May 26, 2010

Gordito posted:

Really? You're going to say that about your own children? This shows an alarming disconnect this women has with her ten kids.

Edit: Even if it's true that they're saying something to get out, that still sets a precedence that somethings wrong if they're looking to flee their home. It's not something you do for kicks, you're a horrible person and you should really look deep down in yourself and realize how far you are from being a decent human being or a "Christian".

Deep introspection is not the hallmark of the SovCit. Why should I change when I can file paperwork with magic words to make the world change around me? To wit:

Casimir Radon posted:

Hah! Of course if she calls on the idiot militia to liberate her kids from the syate things could go bad.

Mad Doctor Cthulhu
Mar 3, 2008

iospace posted:

Not weird at all: part of traction is weight, so the more weight you have on those tires pressing down helps increase traction. But with trucks the bed is the lightest part, making traction difficult. And when you have dualies which spread out the weight over two tires, you make a truck that has lovely traction have NO traction at all. They could probably get around it by putting something heavy in the bed but that works for RWD trucks with one set of tires, not two. It's just a poor vehicle in the winter when you're not hauling something heavy.

prefect posted:

He gave the judge 72 whole hours to respond; how generous of him.

At this point he's just looking for anything to declare a mistrial so he can -- in his mind -- get out on bail. Because the best thing to do in this situation is to annoy the judge.

Gordito posted:

Nothing is used more often to excuse the inexcusable than religion, and it never dulls in its horror.

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

Ryan Bundy is a fun elemental

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

The whole article is worth a read at the source.

Man rejects court's authority citing unofficial flag
This one's a video, and is fantastic. There's an interview with the judge, a sovict guru, and an arrest video by the defendant!

Sovereign citizen arrested again, one week after guilty conviction
This one's just fun.
[/quote]

Okay, so this woman has officially topped my list of human scum involved in this idiocy. A high "honor."

Those kids are gonna need decades to recover from living with that tyrant.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

And homeschoolers wonder why people don't trust their abilities or motives.

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.
Wait, is washing your kids mouth out with soap considered child abuse these days?

Was it always?

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Volcott posted:

Wait, is washing your kids mouth out with soap considered child abuse these days?

Was it always?

I think putting caustic chemicals into a child's mouth is never really a good thing, but I really think pumping a kids mouth full of liquid soap is a bit beyond the ole bar in the mouth for cussing.

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

Liquid soap, though. That's strange. You use bar soap. You can't accidentally swallow that.

I say this as a soap-ee, not a soap-er. I don't have kids.

Volcott has issued a correction as of 21:59 on Jul 28, 2016

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

Volcott posted:

Was it always?

It has in California since I've been a mandatory reporter, so the last 10+ years? I'm getting old.

It's also report mandating in New York, District of Columbia, but I'm not sure for how long.

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

It's getting better and better

https://twitter.com/maxoregonian/status/758757632043720704

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fuckt Tupp
Apr 19, 2007

Science

"I have a constitutional right to be an incompetent idiot."- Ryan Semen, Man, All Rights Reserved.