Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

oRenj9 posted:

The WRX. It will kid, wife, and hoon just fine. Plus it's not an overweight pig like the Fusion Sport will be.

Who wins in a fight of the interiors between Ford and Subaru these days?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

KakerMix posted:

Who wins in a fight of the interiors between Ford and Subaru these days?

Ford.

And calling the WRX not a pig is loving hilarious. Plus it somehow looks more boring than a class on the history of walnut shavings.

smooth jazz
May 13, 2010

oRenj9 posted:

The WRX. It will kid, wife, and hoon just fine. Plus it's not an overweight pig like the Fusion Sport will be.

too small.

a bit pudgy is fine as long as there's some lebensraum.
380 ftlbs also helps.

epic bird guy
Dec 9, 2014

Today on the road I saw a prototype vehicle padded and cloaked. It had Michigan plates, was a hatch, and looked like a ford. Could I have seen a fusion sport today?

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

smooth jazz posted:

too small.

a bit pudgy is fine as long as there's some lebensraum.
380 ftlbs also helps.

Plus through the power of ecoboost magic will probably do 450 on a retune.

The Prong Song
Sep 7, 2002

WHITE
DRIVES
MATTER

iwentdoodie posted:

Ford.

And calling the WRX not a pig is loving hilarious. Plus it somehow looks more boring than a class on the history of walnut shavings.

Ford, but not by a lot. It's like saying you'd like to be assaulted with the smell of sewage. Sure, sewage is good - compared to sewage and skunk.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
Ford is cancelling remaining 2016 Focus RS orders

Is it to fix overheating issues at the track or to fix leaking transmission seals?

Hopefully neither of those are pervasive issues. Never buy the first year of a new car holding true as usual?

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Sigma X posted:

Ford, but not by a lot. It's like saying you'd like to be assaulted with the smell of sewage. Sure, sewage is good - compared to sewage and skunk.

what the gently caress are people's expectations for economy brands these days based on

epic bird guy
Dec 9, 2014

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

what the gently caress are people's expectations for economy brands these days based on

Everyone wants 7series quality on a civic budget.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
Bizarrely some people think there should be a middle ground between used Civic and new 7 series

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

SCA Enthusiast posted:

Everyone wants 7series quality on a civic 10 year old clapped out cavalier budget.

I fix for you.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

go3 posted:

Bizarrely some people think there should be a middle ground between used Civic and new 7 series

Economy car interiors have arguably improved to the point where there's basically only like one step between normal and luxury now.

Weirdly, probably the worst interiors I've seen in a current model car is Toyota. Even beat to poo poo rental GM interiors aren't that bad anymore.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

It's car reviewer syndrome.

Jeremy clarkson gets out of a $150,000 mercedes and into a $25,000 ford, knocks on the dash and says "amurican plastics" and millions of retards parrot it as if they'll someday own that $150,000 mercedes.

I remember the 2004 mustang, i remember the 2008 sonata, $25,000 cars have come so god drat far in 10 years. I have to assume anybody who complains about a $25,000 car interior in 2016 has never been in a bad interior, and is therefore 14 years old with rich parents.

Yeah, the $50,000 BMW today isn't quite as solid as a $50,000 bmw was 15 years ago, and a $25,000 ford isn't as solid as a $50,000 BMW, but anybody who gets into almost any new car today, knocks on the dash and says "american plastics" should be stabbed in the eye with a cracked dash bezel from an early 00s chrysler.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

I honestly think the Germans have the worst interior build quality of the lot now, those cars are built to a budget and it shows badly.

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011
i do not have 10,000 bircoins, please stop asking

The new Civic arguably had the best interior in its class if you get the Touring package. That's just my opinion anyway. I've driven all of them.

The Fords are decent, I'd say today's Ford is yesterday's Lexus or Lincoln as far as interior quality goes.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

1500quidporsche posted:

I honestly think the Germans have the worst interior build quality of the lot now, those cars are built to a budget and it shows badly.

It's all subjective.

If you're one of those weird motherfuckers who's always fondling the dashboard, yeah, they're not great.

Aesthetics are a matter of taste

Functionality wise, idrive is so far ahead of sync or cue it's not even funny.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

1500quidporsche posted:

The new 3-series door cards are sub-Accent grade IMO.

Germans have a lot of trouble with a strong Euro, and what's more they've trained their super-racist owners to refuse any car built in Mexico, Alabama or China, which is how the Japanese solved that problem.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

poo poo, I drove a 55,000 TL Fiat a couple weeks ago and the interior was pretty drat good. Most of the poo poo you touched on the regular was pretty decent, most of the stuff you didn't touch at least looked OK even if it feels like garbage. Not bad for a Focus-sized car that's 27% less expensive.
It's a better interior than say, a two decade old Civic.

Modus Man
Jun 8, 2004

Soiled Meat
Yesterday I followed a manufacturer plated bright blue Mercedes c63S Coupe through Ann Arbor. We were on the same road that Car and Driver is on so I assume it was theirs and they were flogging it. Insanely fast acceleration and sounded the part. What surprised me the most was how small it seemed, and it had some serious hot rod proportions with a wide rear end and meaty tires showing from behind. watch out m4

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice

Powershift posted:

It's all subjective.

If you're one of those weird motherfuckers who's always fondling the dashboard, yeah, they're not great.

Aesthetics are a matter of taste

Maybe I'm crazy but I've never given two shits about how any car's interior looks or feels. All I care about are tiny little rattles that I can hear when the radio is either too low allowing me to hear it, or too high which causes the rattle. My 1998 Corvette has a panel-gappy parts bin garbage interior but it doesn't actually rattle and all I hear is the stereo, road noise and exhaust. Meanwhile in the 00's my mom had a 1997 BMW 5 series which had several rattles in its otherwise very lovely interior that drove me nuts.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

Powershift posted:

Jeremy clarkson gets out of a $150,000 mercedes and into a $25,000 ford, knocks on the dash and says "amurican plastics" and millions of retards parrot it as if they'll someday own that $150,000 mercedes.

I remember the 2004 mustang, i remember the 2008 sonata, $25,000 cars have come so god drat far in 10 years. I have to assume anybody who complains about a $25,000 car interior in 2016 has never been in a bad interior, and is therefore 14 years old with rich parents.

Yeah, the $50,000 BMW today isn't quite as solid as a $50,000 bmw was 15 years ago, and a $25,000 ford isn't as solid as a $50,000 BMW, but anybody who gets into almost any new car today, knocks on the dash and says "american plastics" should be stabbed in the eye with a cracked dash bezel from an early 00s chrysler.

You've evidently never been in a Tesla. Talk about lovely hard flat featureless plastic!

travisray2004
Dec 2, 2004
SuprMan
I sat in the Benz CLA and C class at this year's Cleveland Auto Show (which was more like a gathering of dealers than an auto show) and it's ridiculous how cheap the $3x,000 and even $4x,000 vehicles had interiors that definitely didn't feel worthy of their price.
And I don't know how Subaru is so popular nowadays. Granted I don't have too much experience with Legacies and Outbacks but everything else of theirs just feel like sardine cans with metal equally as thin. I've definitely been impressed with
Ford as of late but don't really get the rotary dial transmission selector on the new Fusion. Assuming that's across the board and not just for the Sport?

travisray2004
Dec 2, 2004
SuprMan

Modus Man posted:

Yesterday I followed a manufacturer plated bright blue Mercedes c63S Coupe through Ann Arbor. We were on the same road that Car and Driver is on so I assume it was theirs and they were flogging it. Insanely fast acceleration and sounded the part. What surprised me the most was how small it seemed, and it had some serious hot rod proportions with a wide rear end and meaty tires showing from behind. watch out m4

Hah, I saw a C300 coupe and was actually surprised how large it is. Especially in comparison to previous gen C coupes. Love that matte gray finish.

travisray2004 fucked around with this message at 13:45 on Jul 28, 2016

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

travisray2004 posted:

I sat in the Benz CLA and C class at this year's Cleveland Auto Show (which was more like a gathering of dealers than an auto show) and it's ridiculous how cheap the $3x,000 and even $4x,000 vehicles had interiors that definitely didn't feel worthy of their price.
And I don't know how Subaru is so popular nowadays. Granted I don't have too much experience with Legacies and Outbacks but everything else of theirs just feel like sardine cans with metal equally as thin. I've definitely been impressed with
Ford as of late but don't really get the rotary dial transmission selector on the new Fusion. Assuming that's across the board and not just for the Sport?

Thirty thousand US dollars is equivalent to $25,000 in 2006, and $19,500 in 1996. In 1996, that gets you a Honda Accord LX Auto (with ABS, an extra cost option). You're talking about a car, in the CLA, that costs about 10% less than the average new vehicle in 2016. Let's just step back and get a grip on how prices and inflation work before we start bitching about Are Interiors.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
I want my dash made out of body color painted steel, same as the plate in my head from smashing into it.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

Elephanthead posted:

I want my dash made out of body color painted steel, same as the plate in my head from smashing into it.

I'll have you know that my skull will likely be destroyed by the steering wheel long before it reaches the steel dash.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

just don't wear a seatbelt so you'll be thrown free to safety

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
Remove seat belts and air bags to get thrown free, plus those sweet weight savings

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

travisray2004 posted:

And I don't know how Subaru is so popular nowadays. Granted I don't have too much experience with Legacies and Outbacks but everything else of theirs just feel like sardine cans with metal equally as thin.

I drove a buddy's '16 WRX, and I didn't get the impression that it felt 'cheap.' Ugly, sure, but not cheap.

Plus, the AWD of course.

Top Hats Monthly
Jun 22, 2011

People are people so why should it be, that you and I should get along so awfully blink blink recall STOP IT YOU POSH LITTLE SHIT

Powershift posted:

just don't wear a seatbelt so you'll be thrown free to safety

The NHTSA had an ad on Twitter that was like "hey wear a seatbelt it's the law :)" and the responses were WHAT IF IM TRAPPED OHHH NO

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

In all fairness, I drove a CLA and found it underwhelming. Especially for the price point.

Whiz Palace
Dec 8, 2013
Based on reviews and personal experience, it seems that both the GLA and regular A-Class are better implementations of the platform.

EnergizerFellow
Oct 11, 2005

More drunk than a barrel of monkeys

Whiz Palace posted:

Based on reviews and personal experience, it seems that both the GLA and regular A-Class are better implementations of the platform.

As is the Infiniti Q30/QX30, apparently.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MMHRzwgfcoU

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Powershift posted:

:boom:

Seriously, I'm a child of the 80s. I remember my parents 1979 Monte Carlo. Their 1979 Z/28. Dad's 1977 Camaro LT. The 1992 Caprice that he bought new to replace all of that garbage. The steering wheel airbag felt like a cheap faux-leather-plastic cover on top of a soiled disposable diaper. (But the A/C would loving frost the air vents in the summertime.)

You almost can't go buy a bad new car, nowadays.

For gently caress sakes, you can go buy a loving FIAT now that will probably go 100k miles with nothing more than routine maintenance. Think about that for a second.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Thirty thousand US dollars is equivalent to $25,000 in 2006, and $19,500 in 1996. In 1996, that gets you a Honda Accord LX Auto (with ABS, an extra cost option). You're talking about a car, in the CLA, that costs about 10% less than the average new vehicle in 2016. Let's just step back and get a grip on how prices and inflation work before we start bitching about Are Interiors.

Yeah but Mercedes = luxury, right?
also something about wage stagnation

travisray2004
Dec 2, 2004
SuprMan

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Right. I've been in sub-30k cars that feel equally as refined if not better in terms of interior quality, so what's your point? Then what about the C class which costs $40,000+ (or $33k in 2006 money) which still isn't anything the be take back by. For 30+k there's too many alternatives. It's not 2006 or 1996 or 1986 anymore.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

travisray2004 posted:

Right. I've been in sub-30k cars that feel equally as refined if not better in terms of interior quality, so what's your point? Then what about the C class which costs $40,000+ (or $33k in 2006 money) which still isn't anything the be take back by. For 30+k there's too many alternatives. It's not 2006 or 1996 or 1986 anymore.

What costs $30k in 2016 dollars that has a great interior to your mind? I can't really think of anything. The Golf is OK, the Mazda3 is OK, everything else is kind of mediocre.

Linedance posted:

Yeah but Mercedes = luxury, right?
also something about wage stagnation

Yeah I mean the real cost of a car compared to median incomes is uh problematic but I guess the quality dividend helps with that a bit.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

the Mazda3 is OK,

The nice Mazda 3 interior is really visually appealing.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

What costs $30k in 2016 dollars that has a great interior to your mind? I can't really think of anything. The Golf is OK, the Mazda3 is OK, everything else is kind of mediocre.

Yeah I mean the real cost of a car compared to median incomes is uh problematic but I guess the quality dividend helps with that a bit.

The Fusion Titanium costs almost exactly that and is a very nice place to be.

Edit: If you up the ante to the platinum, you even get a leather dash. Granted, that's 8k more.

KillHour fucked around with this message at 22:41 on Jul 28, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a primate
Jun 2, 2010

fknlo posted:

The nice Mazda 3 interior is really visually appealing.

Yea, the 3 has the best interior right now, hands down. It's a real step up from last gen.