Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Goddamn, putting the extra-giant giant spiders into an underground map is just pure sadism. "Alright, let's see what's over th- oh the entire tunnel is filled with white poo poo and I'm dead." :argh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
Every time a crowd catches up with me, I start remembering just how much of a pain in the dick the fact you are not allowed to weapon switch while ragdolling or dive rolling is.

"bullets my way out of ant bite, ragdoll, dive and switch to explosives in that split second I have room!... gently caress. Dive, okay switch worked this time-oh I'm bitten again. Back to gun, shoot my way out, DIVE AND SWITCH... mother fucker"

*repeat until worn down from 100% health, or you commit suicide out of frustration*

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

GruntyThrst posted:

Wing Divers can do it as well by just standing on a tree. In other news, I am convinced the Monster-S sniper for Wing Divers doesn't exist.

It most certainly does, because I used it unsuccessfully in a few mission earlier today :v:

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....

Perestroika posted:

Goddamn, putting the extra-giant giant spiders into an underground map is just pure sadism. "Alright, let's see what's over th- oh the entire tunnel is filled with white poo poo and I'm dead." :argh:

Recon through explosions.

Fire a shot down the hole: if you don't hear anything keep going. If you hear screams or webs keep firing.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Section Z posted:

Every time a crowd catches up with me, I start remembering just how much of a pain in the dick the fact you are not allowed to weapon switch while ragdolling or dive rolling is.

You can switch weapons while you're being eaten. If you're already dying, you may as well take a few of those stinking bugs with you.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Really Pants posted:

You can switch weapons while you're being eaten. If you're already dying, you may as well take a few of those stinking bugs with you.

Yeah that's part of the comedy routine when it happens :v: I switch to my safe weapon, pump sucker chewing on me full of lead until the let go. Then I try to switch to my explosives to snap off a shot during that moment I'm at the edge of the pile and nope! Can't weapon switch while ragdolling. Nope! Can't switch while diving. Okay you take a half second to not dive a seond time and switch and whoops, you're being chewed on again! Loop back to start :downs:

On the other hand, beats being surrounded by spiders.

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~

Helter Skelter posted:

Yeah, actual speedruns for these games are often around six and a half hours. Potentially capturing and editing 30+ hours of video for a casual run is a bit of a daunting proposition.
It's not actually too bad, just record a few missions at a time. The real problem is trying to provide hours and hours of entertaining commentary over footage of ants being shot. My Lp of 2017 is currently stalled out around mission 47 because of this.

raverrn
Apr 5, 2005

Unidentified spacecraft inbound from delta line.

All Silpheed squadrons scramble now!

I've been taking the healgun on my AR so I can heal myself while grabbed.

Blattdorf
Aug 10, 2012

"This will be the best for both of us, Bradley."
"Meow."
I think I see the trick to Mission 42. Only the spider nests don't get upgraded, so you need to destroy every nest except for the two spider nests and the red ant nest.

Regardless, I brought a better weapon for this and cleared the mission with relative ease.

Largepotato
Jan 18, 2007

Spurd.
I need a mod that removes the chat wheel and replaces it with "EDF!!!".

I certainly yell it enough already with the default controls.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Largepotato posted:

I need a mod that removes the chat wheel and replaces it with "EDF!!!".

I certainly yell it enough already with the default controls.
It's not enough to replace all the macros there with some variation of EDF?

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
If I replace all the macros with EDF I won't have any left to get my buddies to sing the EDF song!

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

Got to the mission (12?) where the genocide weapon is scripted to be used on the aliens that shortly leads to a 5000% increase in drones in the area. Picture accurately portrays my method of escaping the drones. I switched to Air Raider and strapped Zer guns on my Vegeta and got the hell out of there. Never saw such a clusterfuck of aircraft bouncing off each other outside of making ransom runs in EVE Online.

edit: Seems there are genocide weapons the player can use.

Scalding Coffee fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Jul 28, 2016

YOTC
Nov 18, 2005
Damn stupid newbie

Mr Phillby posted:

It's not actually too bad, just record a few missions at a time. The real problem is trying to provide hours and hours of entertaining commentary over footage of ants being shot. My Lp of 2017 is currently stalled out around mission 47 because of this.

It's a good lp and I miss it.

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~
You are too kind. I'll get back to it soon.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

Samurai Sanders posted:

I still don't understand the conversations when you use satellite weapons. Is the air raider leet haxoring into the satellite rather than going through command, and if so, why not?

Maybe someone else was using it? Like some poor sap is off fighting the walking fortress or something depending on space lasers and you're stealing it because hey gently caress this one ant in particular.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

dogstile posted:

If I replace all the macros with EDF I won't have any left to get my buddies to sing the EDF song!

Wing Diver is the worst class because she won't sing the song. :colbert:

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Attacking Hectors with the Brute Hellflame while yelling at your pilot 'Get me closer so I can set them on fire until they explode from being on fire too much' is the best turret section I've ever played.

Mondian
Apr 24, 2007

drat Dirty Ape posted:

Wing Diver is the worst class because she won't sing the song. :colbert:

Objectively true.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

I gave Fencer a real shot and it was all going okay until I got a high-altitude missile barrage.
Strap two of those fuckers on and I'm farming early Inferno maps like it ain't no thang.

Also, those flamethrower revolvers are neat but when you have two going at the same time, the recoil forces you to shoot God.

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy
I love hanging back with an arcane launcher and a high altitude launcher and letting them all fly one after another. You can just stand there and watch the thoraxes fly

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Inzombiac posted:

I gave Fencer a real shot and it was all going okay until I got a high-altitude missile barrage.
Strap two of those fuckers on and I'm farming early Inferno maps like it ain't no thang.

Also, those flamethrower revolvers are neat but when you have two going at the same time, the recoil forces you to shoot God.

Yeah, the flame revolvers are pretty fun, but really more of a gimmick. An equivalent-level minigun will usually kill most stuff almost as quickly while being far more usable. Even in underground maps I usually just go with something that shoots bullets instead. Besides, if you want to kill stuff really dead from up close, there are always the various spears instead.

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

The big thing about the revolvers is that they pierce and the flames are usually large enough to fill a tunnel, so even if you're shooting at the ceiling it will clear the area in front of you. I wouldn't ever take them outside of a tunnel mission though. They also have a tendency to roast your teammates, which is bad because a fencer getting flanked in a tunnel because he set all of his AI meatshields on fire means a pretty quick game over.

Largepotato
Jan 18, 2007

Spurd.

Samurai Sanders posted:

It's not enough to replace all the macros there with some variation of EDF?

The whole point would be not having the stupid thing appear every time I accidentally click the left stick while moving backwards.

Vakal
May 11, 2008
I'm really trying hard to enjoy the ranger class, but the mid level weapon drops just seem so... lackluster.

Ranger: "Hey, I found a new sniper rifle that does 50 more damage at the cost of half the clip size. Yay!"

Wing Diver: "I found a sniper rifle that fires 20 bolts of lightning that pierces through entire ant mobs."

Ranger: "Oh yeah, well my new shotgun has 6 more pellets per shot and only takes twice as long to reload!"

Wing Diver: "What was that? I couldn't hear you over my chainsaw made of giant lasers that can stun lock a group of hectors to death in 5 seconds."

Ranger: :suicide:

Quicksilver6
Mar 21, 2008

Mr Phillby posted:

IF YOU GIVE UP, IT'S OVER!!!

... Why did you join the EDF?

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Vakal posted:

I'm really trying hard to enjoy the ranger class, but the mid level weapon drops just seem so... lackluster.

Ranger: "Hey, I found a new sniper rifle that does 50 more damage at the cost of half the clip size. Yay!"

Wing Diver: "I found a sniper rifle that fires 20 bolts of lightning that pierces through entire ant mobs."

Ranger: "Oh yeah, well my new shotgun has 6 more pellets per shot and only takes twice as long to reload!"

Wing Diver: "What was that? I couldn't hear you over my chainsaw made of giant lasers that can stun lock a group of hectors to death in 5 seconds."

Just wait til endgame when the wing diver learns to turn the chainsaw sideways and also make the lasers bounce.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Does the Fencer get a Tortoise equivalent without needing a range finder?

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Inzombiac posted:

Does the Fencer get a Tortoise equivalent without needing a range finder?

Nope, just 6 lock missiles that boom real big and lock fast, 9 lock missiles that take a while to lock and don't boom so big, and the vertical missiles.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Don't forget bloodstorms that take ages to lock, ages to reload, and hit like the Fist of God in a massive cone of fire and flying insect parts.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

I'm okay with all of those.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

Psycho Landlord posted:

The big thing about the revolvers is that they pierce and the flames are usually large enough to fill a tunnel, so even if you're shooting at the ceiling it will clear the area in front of you. I wouldn't ever take them outside of a tunnel mission though. They also have a tendency to roast your teammates, which is bad because a fencer getting flanked in a tunnel because he set all of his AI meatshields on fire means a pretty quick game over.
Dash in far ahead of the group. Got it.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

Vakal posted:

I just picked up the Doom super shotgun for the Ranger. I don't see the problem.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Yeah, see, the Ranger gets the best goddamn sniper kiting weapon in the game from the get-go: Stingray.

Quicksilver6
Mar 21, 2008

Scalding Coffee posted:

I just picked up the Doom super shotgun for the Ranger. I don't see the problem.

Also napalm, flamethrowers and the supersoaker of death, Aka Acid Sprayer

Largepotato
Jan 18, 2007

Spurd.
So far I am liking Ranger's line of dumb-fire rocket launchers.

My current one looks like an ordinary RPG, but somehow manages to fit 5 rockets in there before needing to reload.

Then there is the Goliath for blowing up all the bugs, along with leveling the city and most of the friendly forces as well.

SilverMike
Sep 17, 2007

TBD

Don't forget the Stringer series of sniper rifles, for when something really needs to die in a single hit. Works well on shield bearers and any large ship.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

SilverMike posted:

Don't forget the Stringer series of sniper rifles, for when something really needs to die in a single hit. Works well on shield bearers and any large ship.

Not just one something, either. It pierces several enemies in a row and even factoring in the reload it still has the highest dps of any sniper.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Vakal posted:

Ranger's shotgun situation breaks my heart.

Feels Super badass shooting Mutant Godzilla in the dick with a shotgun, but their often lengthy reload times and lack of notable penetration mean they are often pretty :geno: in most situations.

"All right! I got the best Wideshot that can drop in hard mode!" *lack of penetration means a couple ants/spiders/dragons at the front die, and their corpse absorb further shots* :sigh: The do work wonders on Basic Spider Swarms though, likely from the combination of them jumping around adding extra breathing room, and the tendency for their corpses to ragdoll away on a stiff breeze.

Fortunately-

Potato Salad posted:

Yeah, see, the Ranger gets the best goddamn sniper kiting weapon in the game from the get-go: Stingray.

This. This forever. 3000m range explosions with sniper accuracy even with rapid launchers. To have anything approaching this utility means giving up your class mainstays on Wing Diver or Fencer... If anything they have even reaches 3000m with zero dropoff, that is.

I always miss that feeling of "I can blow up anything I can even SEE". Now that I'm up to the Lysander 2/Stringer 2 with their combo of good damage and not poo poo by comparison range, I've been actually using the sniper rifles as more than just "I don't need to fight small targets" fill ins. *Throws 500m Five Card XA in the garbage*

Section Z fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Jul 28, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

Yeah, so far I find myself mostly switching between some combination of ranger shotguns, sniper rifles, rocket launchers, and the occasional grenade launcher. The governor, buffalo, and sparrow shot shotguns are all good, and if I am shotgunning I usually find myself just using the highest level one available for the mission. I am not a fan of the wideshot ones though.

His sniper rifles are all very easy to use. I find the stringer and lysander lines are both good. I will occasionally pull an MMF out, especially if I need to pop a lot of dragons, but their lack of range can be irritating. Sometimes you can't reach far off dropships with them. The five card XB is particularly notable as being a 'shotgun' sniper rifle with reasonable rate of fire and huge range.

I do love the rocket launchers. The goliath launchers are my favorite when they are level-appropriate. They cap at 50 though, and the two higher level stingrays are definitely better. The first cascade is a little too inaccurate for my tastes, but the later two models are both solid.

The um4, umax, and umaz grenade launchers are all pretty powerful, but can be tough to fit into your loadout in some missions.

I haven't been a big fan of his missile launchers so far. I feel like the forks have some niche use, but apart from that, eh. I would rather fencer if I want to missileboat.

I have brought along a reverser for the occasional healing in tough missions online. I feel like if your group is borderline and struggling, it can sometimes make the difference.

Filthy Monkey fucked around with this message at 22:40 on Jul 28, 2016