Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Akion
May 7, 2006
Grimey Drawer

Terrible Robot posted:

Yeah, I'm gonna need a picture of this for...reasons

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AulW-14iyyE

The video is before my friend was the driver. The team has 3 cars. Two train-themed jet dragsters and a train-themed V8-powered wheelie car.

EDIT: better video of both cars:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y3joLfb9700

EDIT 2: Just talked to friend. I guess they are J-34's and not J-79's.

Akion fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Jul 28, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Akion posted:

The video is before my friend was the driver. The team has 3 cars. Two train-themed jet dragsters and a train-themed V8-powered wheelie car.

This might be the first post I've ever seen that deserves crossposting in the Aviation, Automotive, AND Locomotive insanity threads.

Also, I'd love to pick your friend's brain. I have so many questions about jet cars.

Akion
May 7, 2006
Grimey Drawer

MrYenko posted:

This might be the first post I've ever seen that deserves crossposting in the Aviation, Automotive, AND Locomotive insanity threads.

Also, I'd love to pick your friend's brain. I have so many questions about jet cars.

My friend actually just drives and helps maintain (he's a Jet Engine mechanic that's been racing since he could walk. Both his parents raced, too). I think the cars were originally built when we were both still in diapers. I only see him every few years anymore just because he lives in FL and I am in CO. I went and saw him race last time I was back home and it was a trip for sure. I'd seen jet dragsters before, but not up close like that. I used to race piston stuff, but Jet is a whole different ballgame.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde
That's awesome as hell, thanks for sharing :cheers:

Akion
May 7, 2006
Grimey Drawer
Yep! I feel like if I was disgustingly rich, I'd definitely want my own jet dragster if for nothing else than to piss off my neighbors. I'd be like the guy with the street-legal F1 car, only worse.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

MrChips posted:

War is Boring is having a broken clock moment right now and published this interesting article about the attack on the USS Stark back in 1987:

https://warisboring.com/in-1987-a-secret-iraqi-warplane-struck-an-american-frigate-and-killed-37-sailors-b341a948fa21#.11tlpowsu

Ah yes, that time Iraq attacked a US warship and Reagan blamed Iran.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

Akion posted:

EDIT 2: Just talked to friend. I guess they are J-34's and not J-79's.

your posting makes me hard

e- also, about that Stark article

quote:

While not entirely trusting this version, the U.S. government never punished Iraq for the attack

this may be factually incorrect, in hindsight

Seizure Meat fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Jul 28, 2016

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Akion posted:

I'm guessing all the F-4's are privately owned now?

I want one.

The USAF still has a handful (including the one pictured, which operates out of Tyndall AFB, FL), but it looks like they're going away now that the QF-16 target drones have taken over from the depleted QF-4 supply.

Somebody Awful
Nov 27, 2011

BORN TO DIE
HAIG IS A FUCK
Kill Em All 1917
I am trench man
410,757,864,530 SHELLS FIRED

China and Russia to hold joint military exercises in South China Sea.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

hobbesmaster posted:

Ah yes, that time Iraq attacked a US warship and Reagan blamed Iran.

It's what the ~stars~ told him. :bahgawd:

Koesj
Aug 3, 2003
The NL is buying two A330 MRTTs to replace our two KDC-10 tankers from 2020 onwards. This will be done together with Luxemburg to provide for the kernel of a potential NATO tanker fleet based in Eindhoven (though not like the NATO AWACS fleet where they have Lux registration). The problem is that even with the likes of Germany and Poland possibly joining up, eventual fleet size is projected to be... 8 aircraft :downs:

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
The handjob of aerial refueling commitment.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

iyaayas01 posted:

loving lol

As someone mentioned E-2Ds are new build airframes (and a significant redesign) it stands a decent chance of the only aircraft in production for 100 years. ALso, dont quote me because I can't remember the source, but I think most vikings are at either Max # of landing or max flight hours and thus, unless you want a major depot/wing repair effort are a no go. (Yay Wikipedia quality, shame on me for linking)

Also the C-2, E-2's fat cousin, which recently got killed in favor of the V-22 Osprey for COD, could probably be the sort of "low risk" tanker the navy dreams of. Its not like the Navy needs a low RCS tanker next to a ship that sets off every MAD made since 1951.

CarForumPoster fucked around with this message at 23:55 on Jul 28, 2016

B4Ctom1
Oct 5, 2003

OVERWORKED COCK
Slippery Tilde
When I made this picture with the description, "New Lockheed Martin "pod" to improve the F35's CAS capabilities" I was just kidding.

then I saw this video of the 25mm pod for the F35 to let it replace the A-10
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XUcln7StaEw

I know what you are thinking. "wtf? the F-35 already has a 25mm gun" Me too. Do they both get to fire at the same time? I guess one gun is air to air ammo and the other in the pod is corroded polonium nuggets or something just as stupid to kill tanks, people, wildlife, vegetation, aretroops?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CFoJ93Kb5z0

I mean why not just put another one on the other engine inlet on the starboard side? With zero convergence.

Since there is already a 25mm gun on the plane getting the 25mm pod, I will henceforth call it the "yodawg pod".

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

CarForumPoster posted:

Also the C-2, E-2's fat cousin, which recently got killed in favor of the V-22 Osprey for COD, could probably be the sort of "low risk" tanker the navy dreams of. Its not like the Navy needs a low RCS tanker next to a ship that sets off every MAD made since 1951.

But if you appropriate older airframes to do a job instead of new sexy Batwing drone tankers, the GAO might be tempted to think you're being sensible with your funds and therefore give you less of them. That's why we can't bring C-2s and S-3s back as tankers and/or augmented/upgraded COD, even though they'd be great at it. Always do less with new stuff than more with older stuff. :v:

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

McNally posted:

No, just the one.

Like Godholio said, that's not the one, although one slight correction that one is out of Holloman, there are no more QF-4s at Tyndall. The Collings Foundation one doesn't fly very often because '70s era jet fighters are loving expensive, both to operate as well as maintain.

I did a post about the USAF ones in the AI thread:

iyaayas01 posted:

This will likely be the last airshow season for them. They're done at Tyndall as they've gone fully to QF-16s, but there's still 20-something QF-4s at Holloman. The plan is to stop test support with them in Jan '17, with them fully phased out later in 2017. Not sure if they'll do a "final farewell" tour next summer but once they stop paying the contractors to maintain them for test support I don't see them continuing to spend money on them for heritage flights.

In things I didn't know, apparently the first year (2005) of QF-4 heritage flights was funded out of the 82d ATRS/53d WEG's budget, they didn't get big blue ACC Heritage Flight funding until the next year. That's pretty cool.

e: yeah this is the last year. If you want to see one sounds like Reno and/or Nellis Aviation Nation are your best bets.

B4Ctom1 posted:

When I made this picture with the description, "New Lockheed Martin "pod" to improve the F35's CAS capabilities" I was just kidding.

then I saw this video of the 25mm pod for the F35 to let it replace the A-10
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XUcln7StaEw

I know what you are thinking. "wtf? the F-35 already has a 25mm gun" Me too. Do they both get to fire at the same time? I guess one gun is air to air ammo and the other in the pod is corroded polonium nuggets or something just as stupid to kill tanks, people, wildlife, vegetation, aretroops?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CFoJ93Kb5z0

I mean why not just put another one on the other engine inlet on the starboard side? With zero convergence.

Since there is already a 25mm gun on the plane getting the 25mm pod, I will henceforth call it the "yodawg pod".

different variants. -A model has the internal gun, -B and -C models have the external pod. I assume this was done due to rejiggering of internal components...presumably due to the lift fan on the -B and internal fuel requirements on the -C.

FWIW I was more just laughing at the tone of that wikipedia sentence (also the fact that it said the Osprey would somehow be marginally better at buddy tanking than the F-35)

B4Ctom1
Oct 5, 2003

OVERWORKED COCK
Slippery Tilde

iyaayas01 posted:

different variants. -A model has the internal gun, -B and -C models have the external pod. I assume this was done due to rejiggering of internal components...presumably due to the lift fan on the -B and internal fuel requirements on the -C.

Ahhh makes much better sense that way

edit: seriouspost, can we fit like 4 of these onto the wings of an F-15? How about onto an A-10? :dong:

B4Ctom1 fucked around with this message at 01:22 on Jul 29, 2016

Somebody Awful
Nov 27, 2011

BORN TO DIE
HAIG IS A FUCK
Kill Em All 1917
I am trench man

A B-25 could carry a 75mm tank gun and still have room for quad .50s. :cmon:

Slo-Tek
Jun 8, 2001

WINDOWS 98 BEAT HIS FRIEND WITH A SHOVEL

B4Ctom1 posted:

Ahhh makes much better sense that way

edit: seriouspost, can we fit like 4 of these onto the wings of an F-15? How about onto an A-10? :dong:

Somebody thought of that before.

Also not-as-good pictures of an F-4 mounting 15 minigun pods in three-racks.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

BIG HEADLINE posted:

But if you appropriate older airframes to do a job instead of new sexy Batwing drone tankers, the GAO might be tempted to think you're being sensible with your funds and therefore give you less of them. That's why we can't bring C-2s and S-3s back as tankers and/or augmented/upgraded COD, even though they'd be great at it. Always do less with new stuff than more with older stuff. :v:

They don't even have to bring C2s back or modify airframe....they could prob use the same production line as E2s.

NG bid the fuckin COD plane like last year and won (then lost under protest) the big tanker not long before that. No doubt theres people that could do that no problem.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

holocaust bloopers posted:

The handjob of aerial refueling commitment.

Much like a handjob it's mostly the promise of the potential of something to come. Then keeping even a handful of active tankers maintains training continuity and keeps that skill alive in their end. If there is a future need for tins of euro tanking capacity those guys become a training core.

If they jus said gently caress it and abandoned that capacity THEN we could talk s out them having zero commitment to nato or whatever.

The Pope
Feb 18, 2007

Nebakenezzer posted:

Go on, tell us more about the restriction of free speech

Autism trap sprung

wkarma
Jul 16, 2010

Slo-Tek posted:

Somebody thought of that before.

Also not-as-good pictures of an F-4 mounting 15 minigun pods in three-racks.

You mean this one:

Doctor Grape Ape
Aug 26, 2005

Dammit Doc, I just bought this for you 3 months ago. Try and keep it around for a bit longer this time.

wkarma posted:

You mean this one:

That's got to be the most exhilarating quarter second mag dump ever.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Sperglord Actual posted:

A B-25 could carry a 75mm tank gun and still have room for quad .50s. :cmon:

The standard B‐17G carried thirteen .50s.

Göring: “Yup, that’s a lot of guns.”

Somebody Awful
Nov 27, 2011

BORN TO DIE
HAIG IS A FUCK
Kill Em All 1917
I am trench man

Platystemon posted:

The standard B-17G carried thirteen .50s.

B-25J got eighteen. :colbert:

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

I sucked a dick for bus fare and then I walked home.

Sperglord Actual posted:

14 forward firing :hellyeah:

PhotoKirk
Jul 2, 2007

insert witty text here

Sperglord Actual posted:

The A-26 could mount eight in the nose, eight under the wings, and lock the dorsal turret in the forward-firing position.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

And yet somehow in War Thunder with all those guns nothing seems to die

Nerf red team.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
If WT gave destroyers and carriers even half their historical MG and cannon armament, attacking naval targets would cease to be a thing.*

Well, except, for higher altitude divebombing like at Midway.

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

Doctor Grape Ape posted:

That's got to be the most exhilarating quarter second mag dump ever.
15 seconds, or up to 45 seconds if they were later models that could ramp down to 2000rpm.

hobbesmaster posted:

Nerf red team.
This is why I like the F-82. 6x M3 .50s, or 14 with the :dong: pod.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

hobbesmaster posted:

Nerf red team.

“Doesn’t have HE inside or ‘cannon’ in the name. Let’s give it the power of spitwads.” :downs:

hogmartin
Mar 27, 2007
OC-135B flying over Russia under Open Skies treaty makes an emergency landing at Khabarovsk:
http://www.defensenews.com/story/defense/air-space/2016/07/28/dod-monitoring-plane-makes-emergency-landing-russia/87669188/

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

mlmp08 posted:

If WT gave destroyers and carriers even half their historical MG and cannon armament, attacking naval targets would cease to be a thing.*

Well, except, for higher altitude divebombing like at Midway.

Just pretend it's early war Italian ships.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
Wait when I posted that I actually thought I was in the WT thread.

Anyway, the Army has a solution for SHORAD. SLEP avengers out to like 2042 or so.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

mlmp08 posted:

Wait when I posted that I actually thought I was in the WT thread.

Anyway, the Army has a solution for SHORAD. SLEP avengers out to like 2042 or so.

i forget, were you one of the posters mocking the marines for treating "guy with a stinger" as suitable bote aa defense

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

They shoulda held out for a twenty five pounder

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

The caliber of journalism in Britain is terrible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Maybe you're weighing the moral pros and cons but let me assure you that OH MY GOD
SHOOT ME IN THE GODDAMNED FACE
WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR?!

hobbesmaster posted:

The caliber of journalism in Britain is terrible.

BOOOO!

Is the article saying that "the new 5-inch gun performs no better than pre-existing US or Italian models at an elevated price point", or is it more...simplistic in what it's trying to say?