Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Here's the full topic with his weird attempts at clarification.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?
Well that explains it, I figured something had to be missing.

That guy just has to be using an auto translate, desperately trying to get his point across.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Fathis Munk posted:

Well that explains it, I figured something had to be missing.

That guy just has to be using an auto translate, desperately trying to get his point across.

His point seems to be some combination of "my mom made me go to the doctor (for weight test) when I did not feel like it*" and "my sister is hot."

*how could she stoop so low?!

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?
But also he skipped his shower and his sister did that thing with her hair but then she didn't like girls at the YMCA do.

Seems pretty straightforward to me, I dunno why they don't seem to understand it.

Darth Windu
Mar 17, 2009

by Smythe
You know if you've ever seen girls at your school that grab their hair and they look like they are going to pull their hair up, but don't.

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

The ocean is calling and I must go

Why does he keep emphasising that they didn't shower?

Darth Windu
Mar 17, 2009

by Smythe
It's pretty pointless that girls even do that, especially if you have a cute sister and you have to protect them from boys their age and up to ten years older.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
I love that story, and how everytime people ask for clarification, he explains something no one was asking.

Evelyn Nesbit
Jul 8, 2012

I was actually just thinking about that story really recently because a podcast I listen to was talking about weighing people underwater, and this is the only other place I had heard of that.

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe

I read way too much of this before I said gently caress it

goose willis
Jun 14, 2015

Get ready for teh wacky laughz0r!
If you ever read something and it doesn't make any sense why someone would share that story it's probably that person's fetish and they're exhibiting it in a public forum

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

some guy posted:

I feel like I joined the conversation in the middle.

LOL at this for describing it perfectly

Khazar-khum
Oct 22, 2008

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
2nd Battalion
Soul

quote:

This Troper spent years as a loner, socially awkward and romantically inept, until in my junior year in high school, I had my first real relationship with a girl. She did eventually break up with me, and was honest enough to tell me that the reason for it was that she was infatuated with a very close friend of mine, but we remained friends and still speak regularly to this day. The true CMOH came sometime later, when it had been decided that I was graduating and moving away, because she said to me : "You'd better come back and visit me you douchebag. You've etched a presence into my soul and I'm never gonna be able to forget you, so don't you dare forget about me." The fact that she said this right in front of the guy she'd left me for, and the casual, half-joking yet unmistakably sincere way she spoke to me that moment made for one of the most bittersweet moments I've ever had to endure, and I'm not ashamed to say that I cried that day.

Neo

quote:

This Troper has a few, but can only remember one right now (due to it being two in the morning).
Like many others, I had been bullied right from when I started school up until three years ago, when I transferred to another school that had next to no-one from any of my old schools, and therefore I could make a fresh start. Now, I managed to become very good friends (I would say they would be among my best friends) with a group of people who are just as crazy, geeky and zany as I am (one definately more so). Now, that isn't to say that I wasn't still bullied. I wear a trenchcoat, so naturally, that garners some attention from the wrong kind of people. There was a group of about four or five jerks who would just shout "NEO!" at me in increasingly horrid ways, as well as sending me vicious instant messages through the school's computer system. One day after school, they did so while I was with my aforementioned group of friends. And what does one of my friends do? Goes over to the instigator of the bullying and gives him a fantastic right hook. Needless to say, the bullying stopped fairly quickly after that. Since then, I have always been greatly appreciative of the friend who stood up for me.

Proposal

quote:

This troper started dating his current girlfriend through one. He'd met her when he was taking an entrance exam for a college (which I failed, by the way), and she was my neighbor. We started chatting between subjects, and kept each other's IM address after we'd both gone home. This troper never thought he'd meet her again, since we lived in different cities, but we kept contact through IM, and later, through text messages. We both went on our own relationships, but kept on talking as friends. Almost three years later, when this troper was about to go on exchange for a semester in Finland, he decided to see every single one of his friends before leaving, and told this girl, who decided to come to his city for a day. This troper waited for her at the train station, and when she got to the end of the platform, went up to her. We didn't say a word, just kissed. As of writing, I am setting up my marriage proposal.

Masquerade

quote:

This one not so much involving this troper, but still. During a Masquerade at an Anime Con, this couple gets up on stage and the woman starts lip syncing to this song. It's long and slow and, if I may add, made many people suitably bored. And then, at the end, the guy gets down on one knee and proposes to the woman. On stage. The whole audience stands up and starts cheering and applauding. But wait, it gets better. Several more skits in, another couple, this one dressed like Sally and Jack Skellington get on stage and dance to that song from Sweeny Todd where Mrs. Lovett sings about their perfect life. Guess what happens at the end? That's right, another proposal! Again, the audience gives them a roaring applause as they walk off stage. Yes, suitably corny in both cases, but you know what? Still heartwarming.

MonoAus
Nov 5, 2012

quote:

This Troper spent years as a loner, socially awkward and romantically inept
True

quote:

Like many others, I had been bullied right from when I started school
True

quote:

As of writing, I am setting up my marriage proposal
False

quote:

heartwarming
Faaaaaaaaaaalse.....

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?

Khazar-khum posted:

a group of people who are just as crazy, geeky and zany

I shuddered irl when picturing how insufferable they have to be.

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

But what did he mean by that?

Fathis Munk posted:

I shuddered irl when picturing how insufferable they have to be.

https://youtu.be/GA2tpPl-9GQ

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?
I knew what that was going to be before clicking the link. :allears:

A true classic.

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe
What happens to make a person that much of a shitgarbageperson

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

ElGroucho posted:

What happens to make a person that much of a shitgarbageperson

Joke answer? Their parents didn't beat them enough.

Honest answer? Their parents didn't beat them enough.

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?
Uh... :raise:

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE
I'm just being an rear end in a top hat. But really it probably does come down to always being told they were special snowflakes their entire lives and to always let their freak flags fly no matter what anyone says. Sometimes being told to be quiet or put in check can stop "foam" from happening.

Darth Windu
Mar 17, 2009

by Smythe
Yeah those dang millenials!! Participation trophies, playing outside, etc

HaB
Jan 5, 2001

What are the odds?
I've never really understood all the hate that video generates. As far as I can see they're just nerds nerding out over nerd poo poo. Are they super annoying? of course - but that describes most people around that age. They will like grow out of it (or already have) but due to the miracle of the internet - that video is now the legacy they will leave in the world. As if everyone else didn't do goofball annoying poo poo when they were younger.

That video just seems to hit every point some checklist of annoyance which drives people into a rage.

- Fursonas?
- use of internet speech in actual verbal communication?
- over inflated sense of self-importance? (to make anything fun - add us! we're fun!)

SO glad I'm old enough that the internet wasn't around in my youth. :)

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?
:arghfist::corsair:

HaB posted:

I've never really understood all the hate that video generates

That video just seems to hit every point some checklist of annoyance which drives people into a rage.

Maybe there's your answer? :v:

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

The ocean is calling and I must go

Why do they bother with the whole "this troper" thing if they are just going to swing wildly between first and third person?

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

Khazar-khum posted:

This troper started dating his current girlfriend through one. He'd met her when he was taking an entrance exam for a college (which I failed, by the way), and she was my neighbor. We started chatting between subjects, and kept each other's IM address after we'd both gone home. This troper never thought he'd meet her again, since we lived in different cities, but we kept contact through IM, and later, through text messages. We both went on our own relationships, but kept on talking as friends. Almost three years later, when this troper was about to go on exchange for a semester in Finland, he decided to see every single one of his friends before leaving, and told this girl, who decided to come to his city for a day. This troper waited for her at the train station, and when she got to the end of the platform, went up to her. We didn't say a word, just kissed. As of writing, I am setting up my marriage proposal.

I love when you can call bullshit only four words in :allears:

Also, little ending "updates" ("we've been married fifteen years this month," "as of writing, I'm setting up my proposal," etc.) are some of the most obnoxious parts of STDH stories. "There, I finished barfing up all these lies. Hmm, as it is now, the story is merely 'unbelievable.' Maybe I should add something at the end that lands it in 'loving impossible' territory."

HaB posted:

I've never really understood all the hate that video generates.

You pretty much explained it yourself. Just add "they're furries" a few more times for emphasis and you've hit the mark.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

This one's probably true. I saw a proposal during a costume contest a few years ago, and I talked to someone about it who goes to way more conventions than I do. He said that it's actually so common for cosplayer couples to do proposals during a costume contest performance that it's almost cliche.

moerketid
Jul 3, 2012

HaB posted:

I've never really understood all the hate that video generates. As far as I can see they're just nerds nerding out over nerd poo poo. Are they super annoying? of course - but that describes most people around that age. They will like grow out of it (or already have) but due to the miracle of the internet - that video is now the legacy they will leave in the world. As if everyone else didn't do goofball annoying poo poo when they were younger.

People see a reflection of their 15 year old selves and the hatred is basically just "fuckin' kids and their stupid OH GOD WHY DID I DO THAT"

Drunk Tomato
Apr 23, 2010

If God wanted us sober,
He'd knock the glass over.

moerketid posted:

People see a reflection of their 15 year old selves and the hatred is basically just "fuckin' kids and their stupid OH GOD WHY DID I DO THAT"

I watched the video and thought it was endearingly awful. Surely those poor girls will regret sharing the video with the world, but it didn't really stand out to me as much different than anything I did as a kid. I mean, they were just excited and having fun with a roll of foam. They didn't hurt or even inconvenience a single person, sooooo?

Twitch
Apr 15, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
I don't even judge them that much, the video is just cringe-inducing to the point that it's hard to watch.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Drunk Tomato posted:

I watched the video and thought it was endearingly awful. Surely those poor girls will regret sharing the video with the world, but it didn't really stand out to me as much different than anything I did as a kid. I mean, they were just excited and having fun with a roll of foam. They didn't hurt or even inconvenience a single person, sooooo?

The people in the video seem at least college aged though. I would draw the line for that sort of behavior not indicating something fundamentally wrong with a person at 20 at the absolute oldest, though I would say that it's abnormal at any point past the age of ~18.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Electrical Fire
Mar 29, 2010

This is my new favorite.

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

Megera
Sep 9, 2008

Definitely stdh.

The bracelet isn't even out yet.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Lord Chumley
May 14, 2007

Embrace your destiny.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Of8kY_IbYq4

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

It concerns me that he describes a classmate of his from when he was 9 years old as a "hot chick"

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Megera posted:

Definitely stdh.

The bracelet isn't even out yet.

It is too, if your uncle works for Nintendo...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CannedMacabre
Jul 6, 2007

In space, no one
can hear you fart.
STDH plus insufferable Cubs fans:
http://imgur.com/gallery/tWYCU

FAKE EDIT: At least imgurians are calling this one out for being faked.