Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

I found my kendo stick, bitch!

Lipstick Apathy

Norns posted:

Just don't add breadcrumbs and you're alright.
I mean, if you just LIKE the breadcrumbs, I guess go for it? I never would but welp.

But the real point is, if you *need* breadcrumbs to keep your burg together, you already hosed up. Learn to burg better. (hint: make your patties by hand)

Norns posted:

Truth be told, my wife loves big chunks of garlic and bacon in her patties. So a lot of my burgs end up with that mixed in.
Nothin wrong with that, man. Sometimes if I'm grinding my own meat (which doesn't happen that often, I'm lazy and cleaning the grinder is a bitch) I'll throw about a quarter pound of bacon in there for funsies. And garlic is literally never a bad thing, ever.

e: that reminds me, I've got a 4 pound chuck roast that I just took out of the freezer. guess what's gonna get ground and made into meatloaf later this week :hellyeah:

Fenrir fucked around with this message at 19:40 on Jul 24, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

I like binders and breadcrumbs in my burgers. I also prefer thick burgers to smash burgers.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

If you've got very lean beef, adding chopped/minced onion will help keep your burgers moist. Proper cooking technique helps, but adding the onion is easy mode.

No picture, but I burged today. Was out of iceberg lettuce, so I put some shredded purple cabbage on top. Was fantastically crunchy, will do again.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Ron Jeremy posted:

I like binders and breadcrumbs in my burgers. I also prefer thick burgers to smash burgers.

that's not a burger, it's a flat meatball.

GET MY BELT SON
Sep 26, 2007

[timg]http://i.imgur.com/0rvSDD4.jpg[[/timg]

But Not Tonight
May 22, 2006

I could show you around the sights.

yes yes YES

look at that egg, look at that bacon

the burger looks fantastic too but those toppings just make me lose my mind

e: I c&p'd the link and accidentally left out the t in timg but I don't care because LOOK AT IT

GET MY BELT SON
Sep 26, 2007

i gotta roll with you on that one

that's a serious piece of bacon

blacquethoven
Nov 29, 2003
totburg with onion confit, tomato bacon aioli, american cheese

after working 14 hours today without eating im gonna mash it in my face over the sink

Jamsta
Dec 16, 2006

Oh you want some too? Fuck you!

Good work! Grabbing belt.

Wood chuck could chuck oak

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006
fiskars axe, nice. i have 2 myself

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

X25 and X27 own

Jamsta
Dec 16, 2006

Oh you want some too? Fuck you!

'sup Fiskars boys.

It's my first axe (well, loaned) and I'm loving it.

Once I got the knack and didn't try to cut the dense wood, those dry branches cut in 1-2 chops. Makes light work, and got me burgin' quick.

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

But Not Tonight posted:

yes yes YES

look at that egg, look at that bacon

the burger looks fantastic too but those toppings just make me lose my mind

e: I c&p'd the link and accidentally left out the t in timg but I don't care because LOOK AT IT

It looks like heaven on a bun :allears:

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

blacquethoven posted:

totburg with onion confit, tomato bacon aioli, american cheese

after working 14 hours today without eating im gonna mash it in my face over the sink

This is disgusting.

:patriot:

Flying Squirrel
Oct 24, 2007
Thanks, Zombie Lincoln

Wanna eat that momma burger and her babies

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
That's a Steak n Shake garlic and or maybe Cajun burg and they're loving great.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Good thing I read this thread when there's 2 patties already in my fridge.

Downside: They're 90/10 patties.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

Cook those in like a gallon of butter.
You'll be alright

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

I'm marinating them for an hour.

I'm sorry. :negative:

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Dr. Gitmo Moneyson posted:

I'm marinating them for an hour.

I'm sorry. :negative:

In?

Speaking of marinades. Teriyaki pineapple jalapeno burg sounds amazing right now.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Norns posted:

In?

Speaking of marinades. Teriyaki pineapple jalapeno burg sounds amazing right now.

Allegro marinade, Worcestershire sauce, and dark beer.

I just ate them. The first burg did that thing where all of the juice fell out the bottom of the patty as soon as I took my first bite, like burg diarrhea.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Not a Burger

quote:

Even the most die-hard carnivore would not be able to tell that the scent wafting through the air at David Chang's newcomer Momofuku Nishi did not come from an actual hamburger sizzling on the grill. Chang, owner of the Momofuku Restaurants, expertly prepared a crowd of eager media folks what appeared to be a traditional hamburger, but was, in fact, entirely vegetarian. It even "bled."

The ingredients in the Impossible Burger can easily be found in any restaurant kitchen, says Brown. They include water, wheat protein, coconut oil, potato protein, and natural flavors and micronutrients. The so-called magic ingredient is leghemoglobin, or heme, which is a molecule that's found in both meat and plants and was discovered by the team at Impossible Foods. It's what makes the patty look, smell and taste like actual meat.

Brown, along with his team of scientists, spent five years working to perfect the Impossible Burger and make sure it was an actual meat replacement that meat eaters would love. He estimates that it cost around $80 million. Luckily for them, the company is backed by the likes of Bill Gates, Google Ventures and UBS.

So many things running through my head over this.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Or you could just grind some beef, not spend 80 mil, and get a better burg.

ogopogo
Jul 16, 2006
Remember: no matter where you go, there you are.

Norns posted:

Or you could just grind some beef, not spend 80 mil, and get a better burg.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q84nfWkLsYU

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
Dear burg diary, I did a first experimental batch in my search for the ideal homemade burger bun because store bought buns suck in Germany.

Results:
- the base recipes liquid-solid ratio was well off, the dough was far too wet, I ended up using 20% more flour than indicated and still it was a gooey mess
- however, buns turned out soft and tasty (after loosing a lot of dough that stuck to whatever was close enough)
- forget about egg whites as a glue for sesame seeds, just use whole egg, buns turn out browner that way.

My biggest mistake: I made buns but because I "just wanted to try a bun recipe" I did not actually buy any beef to immediately make a burger. Now I have 4 perfectly fine burger buns sitting there...

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

How the gently caress you gunna forget the beef in a burg? lol

I need to get in on the homade bun thing.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
I did not forget, I was specifically doing a test run to research what made the ideal bun, not planning on having a burg. My plan was to see how the buns turn out, note down what I did and then eat them like normal buns for breakfast. So I did not buy any beef. Which was a dumb idea, because what are you going to crave when you smell fresh burger bun? A burger bun with jam? Not really...

If anyone wants to give it a try, I used this recipe for buns:

500g flour ("Type 550" wheat flour, not 100% sure but that should be "all purpose" flour in the US)
21 grams of fresh yeast (= 1/2 cube in Germany, or however much it says on the package you need for 500 grams of flour) !MUST be fresh not dry yeast"
50g Butter
225 ml water
125 ml milk
0,5 tbsp salt
2,5 tbsp sugar
sesame seeds for decoration
1 egg

1. Mix milk, water and butter, warm slightly to melt butter (do not heat too high, ideal temperature for yeast activity is 37 °C/~98 °F, max ~45 °C/113 °F or the yeast will die in the next step)
2. Pour flour into a bowl, crumble in the yeast and add the salt, stir until evenly mixed, then pour the warm liquid in
3. Knead the dough for 5-10 minutes until smooth (use a machine, it sticks to your fingers like mad)
4. form balls of ~6 cm (2.4 inches) and place on a baking sheet with a layer of baking parchment underneath
5. cover with a kitchen towel and let rest for 30 minutes
6. crack the egg and mix with a fork, then add thin layer of egg on top of buns, sprinkle with sesame seeds
6. bake at 200 °C (~400 °F ) for about 12-15 minutes

Observations:
- definitely use less liquid or more flour when starting with this recipe I added 100 g flour for a total of 600 g because the dough was too wet and it was still difficult to form the doughballs as it still stuck like mad even though I covered my hands in flour. For my next batch I will initially use 200 ml water and 125 ml of milk with 500g flour, as I assume the liquid/flour ratio is wrong in the recipe.
- maybe reduce sugar slightly to 2 tbsps as the bun was a bit on the sweetish side, but I do taste sweet very easily so YMMV (don't leave it out, sugar activates the yeast)
- it may be worth trying to dissolve the yeast in the liquid mix instead of crumbling it into the flour, maybe even give it 5-10 minutes to activate prior to dumping the yeast+liquid mix into the flour

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

On that Heston Blumenthal show that gets linked here periodically he ran into the same problem making buns, the ones with the fluffy soft texture you want have such runny dough that it's a nightmare to work with by hand. The recipe he eventually developed was "better" but still looked more like a pancake batter than bread dough.

ogopogo
Jul 16, 2006
Remember: no matter where you go, there you are.
Double patty with sharp cheddar/onions/lettuce/burg sauce and sweet potato fries

But Not Tonight
May 22, 2006

I could show you around the sights.

Shooting Blanks posted:

Not a Burger

So many things running through my head over this.

I'll probably be treated as a heretic for this but I'd eat it, and if it tastes good enough I'd probably eat it more than once. I think a lot of people don't realize the actual cost of meat w/r/t environment and it's hella expensive, whereas something like this could probably be handed out for practically cents (once the kinks were worked out, which they seem to be getting there). It won't though because :capitalism: :sigh:

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006
i only make game or veggie burgs nowadays. i'd rather eat that than beef or pork and i'm not even a strict vegetarian.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Why? Beef and pork are delicious.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

Another confession: I think turkey burgers are ok sometime.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

I've had good turkey burgers.

The frozen ones always suck and have a terrible texture.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Ron Jeremy posted:

Another confession: I think turkey burgers are ok sometime.

Ground chicken, wrapped around a small puck of feta (I've tried feta mixed into the chicken, but it mostly just cooks out.) Grill. Add tzatziki, lettuce, onions, tomatoes, etc, serve on pita. Kicks turkey burgers in the teeth and steals their lunch money.

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006

Norns posted:

Why? Beef and pork are delicious.

You'd probably be delicious too.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Dyna Soar posted:

Totally the same thing :rolleyes:

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

Dyna Soar posted:

I doubt it, humans put a ton of bullshit in our bodies that we would never give to livestock. Human meat would probably be awful.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

Fenrir posted:

I doubt it, humans put a ton of bullshit in our bodies that we would never give to livestock. Human meat would probably be awful.

Or would we be awfully delicious...?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006

Norns posted:

Totally the same thing :rolleyes:

Pork and human are supposedly suprisingly similar.

Fenrir posted:

What, like pump em full of antibiotics & growth hormones and then grind the poo poo we don't use and feed them back to the cows so they develop a prion disease?

Dyna Soar fucked around with this message at 12:43 on Jul 29, 2016

• Locked thread