Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

Yolomon Wayne posted:

Someone who got the viper please tell me what build is it that uses 6 small lasers (non-pulse) and nothing else for weapons?
Thats 3 tons of weapons on 40 tons of mech.
Wheres the weight?

Heat sinks probably. The viper only has something like 7 tons of pod space.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule
Viper has a million locked jump jets

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

Artificer posted:

Oh gently caress the Night Gyr is going to be a goddamn nightmare to fight isn't it?

Clan heavies already turn like pigs, and it's got a smaller engine than the others. Unless it gets quirks (and why would it?) it's going to be almost Direwolf-easy to get behind and murder.

Tank Boy Ken
Aug 24, 2012
J4G for life
Fallen Rib

Yolomon Wayne posted:

Someone who got the viper please tell me what build is it that uses 6 small lasers (non-pulse) and nothing else for weapons?
Thats 3 tons of weapons on 40 tons of mech.
Wheres the weight?

That mech has 4 tons of Jump Jets. It's has "as much" tonnage free for weapons as the Ice Ferret and Arctic Cheater. And pubbies love their "heat neutral" builds.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe
Out of sheer boredom (plus how hilarious the hunchie looks with deckels) I built a 4xuac2. Using fire control this thing is absolutely hilarious for shaking the poo poo out of whatever you're shooting. Runs hot as gently caress with fire control though. Time to murder some pubbies.

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

What are some top picks for this newfangled light sale?

Cheetah, raven, locust, jenner IIC/oxide? Are firestarters still good?

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
Only other real option there would be a Spider.
Or the ever-classy Urbanmech (if that's on sale, I haven't checked yet.)

Firestarters aren't good. I've had more trouble with zombie Wolfhounds than any sort of firestarter.

KaoliniteMilkshake
Jul 9, 2010

TheParadigm posted:

What are some top picks for this newfangled light sale?

Cheetah, raven, locust, jenner IIC/oxide? Are firestarters still good?

Right now the only CBill light I can wholely recommend is the Arctic Cheetah. It has ECM, jump jets, and enough tonnage to rip people apart with ER Smalls or SRMs.

The locusts aren't bad, but the ECM variant is the Pirate's Bane, so it costs $$, and they're extremely fragile. They are amazingly tiny, at least.

The good jenner is the oxide, it costs $$$. Other Jenners aren't awful, but they're a bit too large and fragile.

The Raven has similar issues. Its best variant isn't $$$, but it lacks jump jets, as the only variant with jets is the awful 4X. The 3L is still a solid ECM medium, though its quirks are pretty worthless.

I've mastered Panthers. Don't buy them, they're a light that plays like a bad medium based around a bad weapon (PPCs)

I haven't played Spiders, Wolfhounds, or Firestarters, but those are the only other lights I've seen people recommend. Clan lights that aren't the arctic cheetah just seem awful. Commandos also seem kinda bad, but you can at least cram a decent engine and some SRMs on them.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

Jenner IIC's are pretty much more fragile Oxides in what they can do, so they're alright if you want an Oxide without giving :pgi: any lucre.

KaoliniteMilkshake
Jul 9, 2010

EponymousMrYar posted:

Jenner IIC's are pretty much more fragile Oxides in what they can do, so they're alright if you want an Oxide without giving :pgi: any lucre.

I had forgotten these exist, they seem pretty great.

Bad clan mechs that I'm specifically calling out as trash: Adder, Kit Fox.

Lights own and everyone should have at least a playable one on hand.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

The Adder Prime is actually pretty decent, it gets pretty good quirks. I would rank it almost on par with the dual ER PPC Nova, and if you have to bring a light to CW for tonnage reasons the Adder is an excellent choice.

That said, every other build for it is garbage, it's big, it's slow, and it has a large flat top like the Direwolf and Warhawk. That last bit wouldn't be so bad if the entire top weren't CT, but against a player who knows where to aim (thankfully almost no one does because Adders aren't a credible threat most of the time) you die to coring instantly. It also means LRMs are actually a threat, since unlike most lights you're not fast enough to outrun the missiles while laughing, and the whole volley will hit your top and it will all do CT damage.

The Kit Fox is irredeemable garbage. That said, 4SRM6 poptarting in it is fun, if not good.

The Mist Lynx manages to be worse than both of these options, somehow. It's a 25 ton mech that only goes 113kph, which leads to a very short life expectancy. You'd think that having such a slow light would mean you have a lot of room for guns as a tradeoff, but you'd be wrong thanks to the six hardlocked JJs and hard locked active probe. The final kicker is that you get a maximum of four hardpoints unless you're using MGs, then you get a whopping five. If you want to use ECM, you get a grand total of two hardpoints. Oh, and because of dynamic hardpoint geometry, the arms are HUGE and you will lose all your guns immediately. AVOID THIS MECH AT ALL COSTS. I usually like bad mechs and have fun with them, and mastering the Mist Lynx is the least fun I have ever had in this game.

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

Overall most IS lights can be pretty solid the locusts are good if you know how to dodge and kite don't actually scout that will get you locked and LRM'D to death by pubbies, put 6 small pulse lasers on the LCT-E and you have the best back biter in the game if a brawl starts. The Jenners carry a little more oomph, but are a bigger target and as said the Oxide is the best of them although I have a soft spot for Jenners from the Beta when they were the best mechs in game. The Wolfhound is a decent light energy boat, the Panther is pretty bad because its like a worse wolfhound built around PPC's instead of brawling. Umm... The Firestarter is similar to the wolfhound I like it though.

Jack2142 fucked around with this message at 00:04 on Jul 29, 2016

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

veedubfreak posted:

Time to murder some pubbies.

Or at least slowly erode their armor ineffectively while padding your damage numbers, anyway.

We should do some goon light wolfpack drops to induct people in the secrets of shooting butts.

e: It's Reddit drama, but it looks like yet another PGI surrogate is in hot water for spamming promotional links.

Cease to Hope fucked around with this message at 00:55 on Jul 29, 2016

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0iewHZ-PLVo

No cheating in this game, no sir

Zyphoid
Mar 5, 2015

ROFLMAO. Yep. Totally just skill. PGI wonders why we don't have a leet class of tournament worthy events being put on all the time. This is it. I love this game. I love giant stompy robots and battletech. But if you won't/can't stop the blatant cheating that's happening every night in the queues then no one will ever take it seriously. I have no evidence but I have a sneaking suspicion that PGI was going to banhammer the hell out of a bunch of people then cross referenced that list against top groups/whales and got scared they would kill the golden goose. Too bad the goose shits up the yard so no one else wants to go there.

The Viper ERSML build is 10 er smalls and 3 HS, max armor. That's what I'm running at least. I have another version that's 1 LPulse, 3 med lasers. The last is 3x srm4 and 2 ersml. That's fun as hell as you can leap over the top of them spewing srms from above.

VPR-A

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The best part is how the sarcastic comment turned into nothing but q's as he cottoned on to what was happening.

KaoliniteMilkshake
Jul 9, 2010

EponymousMrYar posted:

The best part is how the sarcastic comment turned into nothing but q's as he cottoned on to what was happening.

youtube comments suggest that this finally pushed forward a ban on this particular cheater. Given how blatant the video evidence is, I'm damned glad they will at least act on this kind of evidence.

Other than that? Zyphoid said it best - this game plays great but it's not worth playing beyond casual enjoyment when the upper levels have blatant cheaters.

I concede not really knowing about Adders - the builds posted here suggest that they're viable enough. If you want builds for Panthers, just roll with double PPCs, a maxed engine, and as many heat sinks as you can fit otherwise. It's a bad robot, but said bad robot puts in work if you get to either the back half of a firing line, or the enemy's backfield.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011
Boy I sure am excited to open this cache.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

KaoliniteMilkshake posted:

It's a bad robot, but said bad robot puts in work if you get to either the back half of a firing line, or the enemy's backfield.

This is the thing really. Any robot can shoot from the back of a firing line while others draw fire or shoot another robot in the butt.

You want a robot that can do more than take opportunistic shots at a distracted target because you can't always have that golden opportunity.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!
Why is the Rifleman considered bad? Is the top fin that bad? Seems like an energy boat with high hardpoints would be really sweet.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Artificer posted:

Why is the Rifleman considered bad? Is the top fin that bad? Seems like an energy boat with high hardpoints would be really sweet.

It's a heavy mech that moves like a heavy mech that also weighs 60 tons and also has barely more armor than a 55 ton medium.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

Also both the Blackjack and the Jager do what it wants to do better.

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

You call it "The Big Bang", but what really happened is
Grimey Drawer

EponymousMrYar posted:

Only other real option there would be a Spider.
Or the ever-classy Urbanmech (if that's on sale, I haven't checked yet.)

Firestarters aren't good. I've had more trouble with zombie Wolfhounds than any sort of firestarter.

Lets not forget the firestarter can mount 8 tons of lasers+1JJ, and small pulses dont have ANY ghost heat.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

EponymousMrYar posted:

Firestarters aren't good.

Paul?

TeeMerk
Jun 9, 2013
I have over 1 million xp on the ecm spider.

It's a great in a good team.

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

Grimey Drawer

DancingShade posted:

It's a heavy mech that moves like a heavy mech that also weighs 60 tons and also has barely more armor than a 55 ton medium.

Hardpoint placement, especially the lasers, is considerably better than the Jager though.

As i learned from nerding the gently caress out of my Jagers, having your weapons 10 miles above your cockpit sounds good on paper but leads to unarmed mechs very quickly as the enemy can see your guns before your cockpit clears the hill.
The laser hardpoints on the Jager are basically just theoretical as you cant use them while peeking, and since youre running an XL you dont wanna be in the open.
So the Rifle has more or less the same points but better placed, makes him better at peeking while losing 5 tons which hurts the loadout.

Quirks on the Jagers are nice but not amazing, still better than Rifle though.
If i had to pick one, id take the rifleman maybe, mainly since im burnt out on Jagers.

e: Come Mechbay-sale (i dont believe it anymore), ill will definitly have THIS in my garage.
45% of AC5 before masteries or modules, thank you vey much.

Yolomon Wayne fucked around with this message at 07:27 on Jul 29, 2016

Samuel L. Hacksaw
Mar 26, 2007

Never Stop Posting
You're wrong. Run a std engine, 4 mpl, 2lpl on the firebrand. It's a great mech. Just because the jager has high hard points doesn't mean you have to hill poke.

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

Grimey Drawer

Random Number posted:

You're wrong. Run a std engine, 4 mpl, 2lpl on the firebrand. It's a great mech. Just because the jager has high hard points doesn't mean you have to hill poke.

Im not buying a Laser-jager for cash though.
When i feel like lasers ill run a 2lpl6med hunchback-iic :wiggle:

How do you get this AC5 RoF on a mauler 1P?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ox6xSKgvHl8
Even release quirks were only like 12.5 to ballistics.

Yolomon Wayne fucked around with this message at 07:49 on Jul 29, 2016

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

Yolomon Wayne posted:

Lets not forget the firestarter can mount 8 tons of lasers+1JJ, and small pulses dont have ANY ghost heat.
It's also a big target for a light, roughly as big as a wolfhound. 8 SPL's can do a lot of damage unless you get blown up before you get into range (the zombie wolfhounds did, hence why I know they're zombies: they didn't explode when I side-torso'd them.)

Yolomon Wayne posted:

How do you get this AC5 RoF on a mauler 1P?
Uh, stick an AC/5 cooldown module in one. Add on Rapid Fire elite. 1.66 base becomes 1.29 and those shots are about a second apart. Wouldn't surprise me if it's Ac/2 quirk used to be for Ac/5's or that :pgi: messed with the math somewhere at some point, that's a pretty old version of the game.

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

Grimey Drawer

EponymousMrYar posted:

Uh, stick an AC/5 cooldown module in one. Add on Rapid Fire elite. 1.66 base becomes 1.29 and those shots are about a second apart. Wouldn't surprise me if it's Ac/2 quirk used to be for Ac/5's or that :pgi: messed with the math somewhere at some point, that's a pretty old version of the game.

It sounds/looks like not even a full second though. But may be video speed after all.
Videos like that made me believe in maulers, but the quirks today have me questioning the purchase. I fear i will end up selling my MX90, and i dont see myself getting the other ones.

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

TeeMerk posted:

I have over 1 million xp on the ecm spider.

It's a great in a good team.

Alright, youv'e piqued my interest tmerk. 3 MPL, or a different build?

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay

Yolomon Wayne posted:

It sounds/looks like not even a full second though. But may be video speed after all.
Videos like that made me believe in maulers, but the quirks today have me questioning the purchase. I fear i will end up selling my MX90, and i dont see myself getting the other ones.

There is no point in buying 2 other maulers if you do not like the MX90. The 1P plays exactly the same and the 3rd mech is even worse.

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

Grimey Drawer

TjyvTompa posted:

There is no point in buying 2 other maulers if you do not like the MX90. The 1P plays exactly the same and the 3rd mech is even worse.

I usually do the other 2 for Eliting the one i like, but so far the MX has let me down big time so far.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
I loved the Mauler in co-ordinated assault pushes in CW as a dakka platform that never needs to ever take a finger off the trigger but I'd never consider using one in any other situation.

It's a walking gun platform and definitely not a ninja. Not even a crippled arthritic one in a wheelchair. More like an armored vending machine being slowly pushed around by one of the domestic cleaning bots.

Tank Boy Ken
Aug 24, 2012
J4G for life
Fallen Rib
New personal challenge: This time chaes + keys and MC (50).

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

Grimey Drawer

Tank Boy Ken posted:

New personal challenge: This time chaes + keys and MC (50).

The age of warhorns is over.
The age of caches is begun.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Tank Boy Ken posted:

That mech has 4 tons of Jump Jets. It's has "as much" tonnage free for weapons as the Ice Ferret and Arctic Cheater. And pubbies love their "heat neutral" builds.

How do you even get a "heat neutral" build in this game without ejecting all your weapons? My coldest build tends to overheat after firing all weapons 2-3 times and explodes generally 1-2 salvoes later (because I'm often too impatient to wait for my mech to cool down).

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!

Yolomon Wayne posted:

The age of warhorns is over.
The age of caches is begun.

That's such a shame. :(

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

Grimey Drawer

Libluini posted:

How do you even get a "heat neutral" build in this game without ejecting all your weapons? My coldest build tends to overheat after firing all weapons 2-3 times and explodes generally 1-2 salvoes later (because I'm often too impatient to wait for my mech to cool down).

Ballistics help a lot, as does taking small lasers and not breaking ghost heat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tank Boy Ken
Aug 24, 2012
J4G for life
Fallen Rib

Libluini posted:

Twin Gauss Catapult is one build that does that, without being gimped. Usually it's done by mounting a low amount of weapons, and boat all dem Heat Sinks. Something like 4 Small Pulse on an Arctic Cheater should be rather heat efficient. Or rather too heat efficient. Since you're not filling up the heat scale. You're missing out on potential damage dealing ability.

• Locked thread