Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

Tollymain posted:

concepts mei does not believe in: bad ideas for gadgets, sportsmanship, personal space

:yeah:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.
Where can I read the latest chapter?

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.

Jewel Repetition posted:

Where can I read the latest chapter?

We aren't supposed to link because there's an official one, but the site is called Mangastream.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.
Thanks.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?

Terper posted:

When he fights Kaminari

I have to admit, the "Kaminari is the traitor" theory is pretty coherent. That doesn't mean it's right, but it certainly makes more sense than anything else I can think up.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
I think the reason Midoriya trashes his body using ofa isn't totally because of lack of physicality but more because he isn't using it "right". If you have to be ripped to use ofa properly then All Might himself should've been injuring himself as his body declined- instead he still had Tick-style nigh-invulnerability and excessive ofa use just seemed like it aggravated his lingering injuries.

Midoriya still needs to get swole but I think the real breakthrough will be conceptualizing the power differently.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Another fun chapter. Deku's looking pretty cool.

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

I am very into everything that's happening

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Fabricated posted:

I think the reason Midoriya trashes his body using ofa isn't totally because of lack of physicality but more because he isn't using it "right". If you have to be ripped to use ofa properly then All Might himself should've been injuring himself as his body declined- instead he still had Tick-style nigh-invulnerability and excessive ofa use just seemed like it aggravated his lingering injuries.

Midoriya still needs to get swole but I think the real breakthrough will be conceptualizing the power differently.

Yeah, the important thing is that he's not just trying to imitate All Might anymore. There's something more to the way All Might was using the power but he can't explain it because he's a lovely teacher. So it's much better for Deku to figure it out for himself than to keep wrecking his body trying to copy his idol directly.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

I mean that is one of the biggest rules in teaching. The student must reach the knowledge, we can only guide them there. Sure we can tell them about general facts but there is a world of difference in actually learning and applying that.

We call All Might a lovely teacher and yeah he's definitely not the best but he's amazing at pumping up his students and giving them a goal to strive towards, he's patient, kind, acknowledges everyone, and has his heart in the right place. He just needs some more experience and a bit more book smarts.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Actually, All Might is the best.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Space-Bird posted:

I think I feel exactly the opposite, I find the fights in BnHA to be refreshingly quick and to the point, with some pretty decent panel work. I do agree it's different from other fight oriented shonen battlers. It's definitely not the place for naruto fights.

The pacing and art in the fights is great, but the actual things that happen during those fights aren't terribly interesting. Not bad by any means, but not great in the way HxH fights are, for example.

hell astro course
Dec 10, 2009

pizza sucks

Ytlaya posted:

The pacing and art in the fights is great, but the actual things that happen during those fights aren't terribly interesting. Not bad by any means, but not great in the way HxH fights are, for example.

Yeah I actually don't like HxH. :( (I know, I know, please be gentle)

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Hatsume is so, so great. :allears:

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
The fights in BnHA so far have been way way too short outside of maybe Stain and anything involving All Might. Like almost nothing in the lodge attack even counts as a fight outside of TetsuTetsu and Kendou vs Mustard and Midoriya vs. Muscular and those're over quick.

There's nothing really so far outside of All Might vs AFO that's close to Enies Lobby One Piece, goddamn near everything in Kongou Banchou/The 7 Deadly Sins, etc.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

Space-Bird posted:

It is ok, it is not for everyone.

You like yu yu hakashou right?

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

We've all read Bleach and Naruto. Short fights are a mercy. It makes the long ones have more impact.

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

2; Become better at playing Tabletop, both as a player and as a GM/ST/W/E

3; Get rid of this goddamn avatar.

chumbler posted:

We've all read Bleach and Naruto. Short fights are a mercy. It makes the long ones have more impact.

I'm not arguing that, but there's something to be said that I'm not a fan of the fact that All Might versus Nomou literally lasted half a page.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Space-Bird posted:

I stopped watching HxH after the 12 year old main character got the vomit beat out of him for hours while his friends watched

Maybe it's not for everyone

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL
I'm fine with the length of the fights. Tokoyami one-shotting Moonfish was badass. So was Deku and co rescuing Bakugou. I l like how All Might took out the Nomu, too. Moments like those are one of the things I like best about shonen.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

chumbler posted:

After Bleach, Naruto, One Piece, Dragon Ball Z & GT, Inuyasha, Yuu Yuu Hakusho, Digimon, Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann, Kill La Kill et all. I have come to hate the standard Shounen formula for fights. HxH is mostly a yawnfest and I have been enjoying the show mostly for it's setting instead of it's content.

If you are going to give me spectacle, MAKE IT SPECTACULAR!
If you are going to give me fight intrigue, make it something I can't guess in the first five seconds!
And finally if you are going to give me someone who gets through adversity through sheer determination, there better be consequences for that.

MHA's fights are so good because they're really short and gives the longer ones tons of impact. They get to the point and stick to the point of the fights rather than becoming another source to stick filler into.
One Punch Man's fights are good because they're visually impressive and the build up to the conclusion is masterful. You know the general outcome but the journey and experience of getting there is still very entertaining.
JoJo fights are good when they've doubled down on the ridiculous BS they can pull off. Other than that it gets very samey, very fast.

Long fights aren't good because they're long, they're good because they've managed to maintain your interest throughout.

EponymousMrYar fucked around with this message at 00:41 on Jul 29, 2016

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

MHA is good at fights with multiple characters at the same time, which is very rare in a genre dominated by 1v1's that sometimes tries to do more than that and fails at it.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Nihilarian posted:

I stopped watching HxH after the 12 year old main character got the vomit beat out of him for hours while his friends watched

Maybe it's not for everyone

Yeah, Hunter x Hunter is not for the squeamish.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Well at least they stopped in the first arc and didn't watch all the way through where the giant ants turn people into meatballs for food.

FH_Meta
Feb 20, 2011

Stallion Cabana posted:

I'm not arguing that, but there's something to be said that I'm not a fan of the fact that All Might versus Nomou literally lasted half a page.

It's more like the last half of chapter 18 to the first half of chapter 19, unless you're talking about the literal finishing blow, which is more like two panels.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

chumbler posted:

We've all read Bleach and Naruto.
maybe if you're a sucker

hell astro course
Dec 10, 2009

pizza sucks

AtomikKrab posted:

It is ok, it is not for everyone.

You like yu yu hakashou right?

It has Kuwabara.. he is a prince and I love him. Everything else is kinda whatever. I like Smile Bomb though, as a song.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

I think I'm feeling that this is officially more interesting and more mature than One Piece.

Stallion Cabana posted:

How long did that translate into anime minutes?

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

2; Become better at playing Tabletop, both as a player and as a GM/ST/W/E

3; Get rid of this goddamn avatar.

Grouchio posted:

I think I'm feeling that this is officially more interesting and more mature than One Piece.

How long did that translate into anime minutes?

the end part was like 3 minutes total. It was a really good animated 3 minutes though.

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL

Grouchio posted:

I like them both for different reasons. MHA is less cartoonish, and its characters feel more like actual people. But One Piece is charming and stylish and keeps its promises to the reader really drat well.

Dr Subterfuge fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Jul 29, 2016

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Say Nothing posted:

Deku needs to kick more. It seems to be effective.

dazoner
May 17, 2006

White People!

Eej posted:

Well at least they stopped in the first arc and didn't watch all the way through where the giant ants turn people into meatballs for food.

Wasn't that one ant a Cell Jr?

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

dazoner posted:

Wasn't that one ant a Cell Jr?

the king was basically cell yea.

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

Ytlaya posted:

hunter hunter doesn't really have fights because hunter hunter is a world where everything is a game even the fights are games

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
i like mha's rocket-tag fights. i don't want to see an entire minor character arc in the course of a scene every time

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

The thing I really dislike about Japanese comics like this are the fights that take at least a month real time to resolve, especially when you are reading them as they are published. Often they are repetitive and boring with some minor plot points or character backstory baked in. One Piece has kinda gotten this way (maybe it always has been? I haven't gone back to the early stuff in years) and the recent Donflamingo fight was about three times as long as it needed to be. MHA seems like everything is going at a much faster pace and I really appreciate this. The climactic fight between AFO and All Might basically being some trash talk and then one huge punch was fantastic.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

I burned out on One Piece super hard after the Doflamingo fight because holy moly. I took a break from MHA for a while during the camping trip what with the whole Kouta thing but everything after that has been super good

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
The Doflamingo fight's prolonging was probably the lowest point in One Piece, but it's been great since then. You should catch back up. Big Mom is a helluva villain.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hell astro course
Dec 10, 2009

pizza sucks

Yeah, I think even the most stalwart of One Piece fans got tired out from the Dressrosa/Doflamingo arc. It's over now, thankfully, and very good again. Just don't watch the anime, it'll suck the life out of you.