Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

Cutest tumor in all of Oncology!
I mainly use mine because laser dots drive my dog crazy, but it is fun for its intended purpose as well.

The top of my TV screen is much warmer than the bottom.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
If you think those are fun, get a FLIR One and pretend you're a Predator

strangemusic
Aug 7, 2008

I shield you because I need charge
Is not because I like you or anything!

Night Danger Moose posted:

I'm driving up from Maryland to see them in Hamilton. Born and raised in Vancouver, I've loved them forever. I'm so excited. Devastated as to the reason for the tour, but ecstatic to see them.

I bet some folks are going to be like "huh what it's just a concert bro" so here's the story in case you're not Canadian or musically inclined:

The Tragically Hip are basically as Canadian as it gets, musically. They're a national treasure and they've gone from scrappy, Ontarian rockers to the heights of fame despite never really breaking it big stateside. Earlier this year it was revealed that their frontman, Gord Downie, has glioblastoma, so they're doing one last tour to major Canadian cities before calling it a career in their hometown of Kingston. As you can imagine, tickets were extremely hard to get and a lot of controversy was caused due to the way scalpers and places like StubHub create price inflation and suck up a large percentage of the available sales from legitimate outlets, effectively profiting unduly off of an extremely fan-focused gesture by a dying man. There have been second shows added where possible and even things like opening up the back of the stage so more people can show up in the back bowl of the arenas. There's a huge movement of support behind this tour and it's going to be a genuine piece of CanCon history on every stop.

and I managed to find legit tickets by sheer luck on the day of their first Vancouver show

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

I bought tickets to see Bill Burr at the Fox Theater in October.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Why yes, I would love to blow half my bonus in one day.

Not pictured:
Two new desks, a new bedframe, a new mattress, a new tv stand, and a new bookshelf from IKEA.

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug
I bought a larger sammy for our living room so I can claim our ~8 year old sammy for the basement

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Nephzinho posted:

Not pictured:
Two new desks, a new bedframe, a new mattress, a new tv stand, and a new bookshelf from IKEA.

You got all that with HALF of your bonus?
I'm in the wrong business.

fyallm
Feb 27, 2007

College Slice

Inzombiac posted:

You got all that with HALF of your bonus?
I'm in the wrong business.

He got all of that with half his bonus, but still requires a window unit and no central air? weird

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

fyallm posted:

He got all of that with half his bonus, but still requires a window unit and no central air? weird

NYC.txt

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

EDIT: Reverse image search answered my question.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
A lot of professions use an annual/quarterly "bonus" that represents like 25-75% of you annual income.

SF buddy works in finance and gets a salary of $75k, and a "bonus" of $75k. You try your best to survive off of your salary and use your bonus to do things like pay off the CC debt you accumulated that year, fund 401k, IRA, take a vacation, and do your impulse spending (all in one epic swoop)

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Nephzinho posted:

Not pictured:

Where the hell is there a steel book of Pokemon sun and moon? I must have it!

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

LionArcher posted:

Where the hell is there a steel book of Pokemon sun and moon? I must have it!

Using the magic of Google...
https://www.amazon.com/Pokemon-Sun-Moon-Steelbook-Dual-Pack/dp/B01IBZKJBK

beefnoodle
Aug 7, 2004

IGNORE ME! I'M JUST AN OLD WET RAG

Frye's Logan messenger bag. Most expensive manpurse I've ever bought, and I didn't pay retail, but it's so nice.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

RIP your shoulders!

Looks great though.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

A lot of professions use an annual/quarterly "bonus" that represents like 25-75% of you annual income.

SF buddy works in finance and gets a salary of $75k, and a "bonus" of $75k. You try your best to survive off of your salary and use your bonus to do things like pay off the CC debt you accumulated that year, fund 401k, IRA, take a vacation, and do your impulse spending (all in one epic swoop)

This is not that - if you are banking on a bonus to get by you need to redo your budget. I generally take like $1k of my bonus and go on a shopping spree and put the rest into my brokerage/down payment fund/wedding fund (and use it as an opportunity to top off the 401k), but this one overlapped with me winning a fight with NJ dept of taxation so I got $5k back from them, and the fiancee and I decided not to move out of our apartment so we aren't putting down first/last/security that the bonus was earmarked for. So it was a pretty perfect storm of cost avoidance and windfall. Still to come: lots of MeUndies boxer briefs and a tasting menu dinner at Momofuku Ko.

I Am Not Spor
Dec 13, 2006
all the better to glomp you with

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

SF buddy works in finance...gets a salary of $75k...You try your best to survive off of your salary

Tell your friend he's an absolute moron if he can't easily survive off of 75k in the Bay Area.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

beefnoodle posted:

Frye's Logan messenger bag. Most expensive manpurse I've ever bought, and I didn't pay retail, but it's so nice.
What differentiates a $400 bag from a $150 one?

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy
everything i've owned from frye has lasted forever and they have a great warranty/customer service

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

I Am Not Spor posted:

Tell your friend he's an absolute moron if he can't easily survive off of 75k in the Bay Area.

Absolute moron seems a little harsh. It's $10,000 below the median salary for San Francisco...

Plus, the average rent for a 2 BD is $4,754. Assuming a roommate with a 50/50 split, that's $28,524 a year on rent. That's 38% of your gross annual income in rent alone.

HUD considers you to be "rent burdened" if you're paying more than 30% of your take-home pay on rent+utilities.

I'm sure you can fare just fine in San Francisco at $75,000 a year, without having to go beans and rice + refrigerator box, but is it really "easy"?

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

You shouldn't actually live in San Francisco. Though even Oakland costs a lot now. Daly City is do-able.

beefnoodle
Aug 7, 2004

IGNORE ME! I'M JUST AN OLD WET RAG

Josh Lyman posted:

What differentiates a $400 bag from a $150 one?

I handled both kinds of bags, and looked at reputation, service, warranty, etc.

HP Artsandcrafts
Oct 3, 2012

Corsair Hydro Series H60 High Performance Liquid CPU Cooler

EVGA GeForce GTX 1070 8GB FTW Gaming ACX 3.0

G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series 16GB DDR4 3000

EVGA GQ 1000

:retrogames:

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

I Am Not Spor posted:

After taxes that's about $3,800 monthly. One bedroom apartments go for about $3900 and they'll be shoeboxes at that price.

<edit> For SF specifically though much of the bay isn't any better.

<double edit> To contribute, a way too expensive dish rack (simplehuman) but it actually holds my lipped plates well and drains into the sink instead of needing a towel underneath so :homebrew:

Oneiros has a new favorite as of 00:28 on Jul 29, 2016

I Am Not Spor
Dec 13, 2006
all the better to glomp you with

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Absolute moron seems a little harsh. It's $10,000 below the median salary for San Francisco...

Plus, the average rent for a 2 BD is $4,754. Assuming a roommate with a 50/50 split, that's $28,524 a year on rent. That's 38% of your gross annual income in rent alone.

HUD considers you to be "rent burdened" if you're paying more than 30% of your take-home pay on rent+utilities.

I'm sure you can fare just fine in San Francisco at $75,000 a year, without having to go beans and rice + refrigerator box, but is it really "easy"?

I live in the bay area. If he spends that on rent he still has around $24,000 left to buy beans and rice (accounting for taxes). If he splits his remaining survival money evenly he can buy a paltry 8,600 pounds of beans and 37,800 pounds of rice.

Tell him he's an absolute moron.

Content:

I Am Not Spor has a new favorite as of 00:40 on Jul 29, 2016

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

obi_ant posted:

Here. Cause they're fun? My foot is 92.8 degrees.

I too bought this; it should be coming in the mail tomorrow, I am currently running a fever of around 101, so it will be interesting to see my external temp vs internal temp.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

I Am Not Spor posted:

I live in the bay area. If he spends that on rent he still has around $24,000 left to buy beans and rice (accounting for taxes). If he splits his remaining survival money evenly he can buy a paltry 8,600 pounds of beans and 37,800 pounds of rice.

Tell him he's an absolute moron.

Your incentive to be "right" is so high that I think I'm irritating you, but are you really saying that it's easy living with 55% of your take-home pay going to rent? Or you're just saying that $2k/month is plenty of money for non-housing expenses?

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

I make 48k and am going to laugh-cry myself to sleep.

CSi-NA-EJ7
Feb 21, 2007

Enjoy them gun parts

The Prong Song
Sep 7, 2002

WHITE
DRIVES
MATTER

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Already had the P229, needed the P226. Now I can dual wield shoot my left hand off

I just got a P226 Legion today; pretty much just for the fancy schmancy trigger and coating.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

Sigma X posted:

I just got a P226 Legion today; pretty much just for the fancy schmancy trigger and coating.

SEX! Does the legion have the true picatinny rail or the Sig Accessory Rail?

And does it come in both da/sa and sao?

treiz01
Jan 2, 2008

There is little that makes me happier than taking drugs. Perhaps administering them, designing and carrying out experiments that bend the plane of what we consider reality.

This is a fabulous cooler. I don't have central air, only a wall unit, but I have never been over 50 C using this on my 4690k which is clocked to 4.7ghz.

Enjoy!

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

More of a recent-ish purchase, but I grabbed these off the rack and now I keep having people at work stopping me and asking if they're Carharrt's. Apparently it's a popular brand?

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

are you really saying that it's easy living with 55% of your take-home pay going to rent?

It depends how much cash you're making to begin with.

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Plus, the average rent for a 2 BD is $4,754.

I rarely say this unironically but holy poo poo do I love living in an economically depressed rural area

The Prong Song
Sep 7, 2002

WHITE
DRIVES
MATTER

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

SEX! Does the legion have the true picatinny rail or the Sig Accessory Rail?

And does it come in both da/sa and sao?

Sig proprietary. Comes in single-double and single-only.

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug

dreesemonkey posted:

I bought a larger sammy for our living room so I can claim our ~8 year old sammy for the basement

This gave me an excuse to buy a giant beanbag (w/ matching footstool, of course).

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

GOTTA STAY FAI posted:

I rarely say this unironically but holy poo poo do I love living in an economically depressed rural area

Here, in the North Texas Metroplex where 7 million people live, you can rent a 3 bedroom, 2 bathroom, >10 year old house, within 20 minutes of downtown, for $1,200.00. Goddamn commies.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

GOTTA STAY FAI posted:

It's why even a $15 minimum wage doesn't help much here. No wonder service jobs like in restaurants are hard to fill. Nobody wants to have to drive a 2 hour commute to their jobs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice

Wanamingo posted:

More of a recent-ish purchase, but I grabbed these off the rack and now I keep having people at work stopping me and asking if they're Carharrt's. Apparently it's a popular brand?

I didn't realize there were popular brands of hospital scrubs.