Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

Sometimes I do really stupid poo poo in road cars after driving high downforce open wheelers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.
Still, you wouldn't expect a few laps of AC to destroy 250 hours of training.

OhsH
Jan 12, 2008

GhostDog posted:

Still, you wouldn't expect a few laps of AC to destroy 250 hours of training.

Que me not reading his post right.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
You just have to drive Dirt Rally some more. Your skills aren't gone, your brain just isn't fully back into dirt rally mode.

Qmass
Jun 3, 2003

so what is a respectable time to shoot for in the F138 around the standard nordschleife?

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

I think in a super fast car I'd be looking for sub 7 minutes.

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.

Assetto Corsa:

This will be part of a series.

GhostDog fucked around with this message at 12:30 on Jul 23, 2016

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

pretty fucking embarrassing to watch
Just checking: there's not a red pack car in that series? I'll try to be there to run it if there isn't (it'd have been hard if I was playing Cricket but they've called off the game due to a lack of players) but I can't get the red pack until I get paid...

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

IceAgeComing posted:

Just checking: there's not a red pack car in that series? I'll try to be there to run it if there isn't (it'd have been hard if I was playing Cricket but they've called off the game due to a lack of players) but I can't get the red pack until I get paid...

No, the 90s DTM set is the BMW E30, the Mercedes 190 and Alfa Romeo 155. So just DP1 needed.

Qmass posted:

so what is a respectable time to shoot for in the F138 around the standard nordschleife?

Coming back to this for a moment, I did a sloppy run of the tourist set and did a 5:54 so I'd say if you're decent at the Nords it shouldn't be too difficult to do under 6 minutes.

njsykora fucked around with this message at 13:47 on Jul 23, 2016

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

pretty fucking embarrassing to watch
Grand, I didn't think they'd have added anyone new in but it helps to be sure

I'm just saying that I'm using the Alfa, and if I can't I won't race!!!

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.
Assetto Corsa in one hour.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Trying to get everything set up for this, first time playing AC though so no guarantees. Otherwise I'll just be doing gooncar afterwards.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Assetto Corsa is a bad racing simulation videogame.

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
Race was fun, thanks. I was in second and first before the two resets :d: Then I finished 7th :(

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

I was terrible and need to play with settings more than 15 minutes before the next race, and maybe drive more than a couple laps on a brand new (to me) track.

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
Tor Poznan is a cool track btw people should drive it even if they don't do these races

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.
If I can get it up and running I'll probably do AMS next sunday and then switch between AC and AMS every other weekend. AMS is the better racing game without a doubt even if it doesn't look as shiny, so I hope people give it a chance.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

GhostDog posted:

If I can get it up and running I'll probably do AMS next sunday and then switch between AC and AMS every other weekend. AMS is the better racing game without a doubt even if it doesn't look as shiny, so I hope people give it a chance.

I hope this means the occasional bloodbath Super Truck race.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r15aVcEduJg&t=74s

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.
Alright, server seems to work fine, so for the time being we're gonna try AMS/AC in weekly rotation.

Next Event:

Some tips for AMS:
  • The Low FFB Force Boost thing works quite well imo (recommended setting 20-40% for high end wheels, up to 80% for others)
  • You can use LCtrl+Numpad9 and LCtrl+Numpad7 to lower/raise the FFB per car a bunch
  • You can use RCtrl+Numpad9 and RCtrl+Numpad7 to lower/raise the FFB per car in smaller increments
  • Shadows on "MAX" is a huge CPU hog, if you have framerate issues especially in CPU-intensive situations (AI field bunching up in a corner) lower this setting first!

GhostDog fucked around with this message at 15:43 on Jul 27, 2016

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gSBJv78unfo

OhsH
Jan 12, 2008
Really fun playing ams with goons tonight. Need to figure why time of day and race length settings wont listen. Other than that, good racing and stuff.

The Science Goy
Mar 27, 2007

Where did you learn to drive?
Karts, superkarts, Montana, Formula Vees, tons of ridiculous options in AMS.

If we can get night racing to work, karts and superkarts under the lights would be epic.

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.

OhsH posted:

Really fun playing ams with goons tonight. Need to figure why time of day and race length settings wont listen. Other than that, good racing and stuff.

I could not get it to run a practice session, it would always immediately jump to qualify. I think there is something weird going on with the AMS profile it uses.

The Science Goy
Mar 27, 2007

I tried to stream the kart nonsense last night, but haven't used OBS and AutoBallista for a while, so my OBS profile got pissed and locked up my system. After logging out and back in, my graphics card decided to underclock to ~30% of my stable clock so my framerate tanked. Yay computers!

eggyolk
Nov 8, 2007

I'm new to using a wheel setup and having major issues right now. The pedals (T3PA-PRO), shifter (TH8A) and wheel (Thrustmaster VG-TX) all run fine, but when mapping them to in-game settings Project Cars seems to... forget that something is assigned to it. So the throttle works once, then stops. Then 1st gear on the shifter works once and stops, and nothing really seems to work at all. Worst of all, the controls re-map to the wrong type of wheel whenever the game is restarted. Project Cars gets a lot of poo poo so I'm assuming it must be the game bugging out, but it could be really awesome on my Vive. Has anyone dealt with this before?

So far the game has involved continuously sitting at the grid unable to shift, or unable to accelerate, sometimes both.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

off topic of your problems but how do you like the T3PA, and TH8A, I'm looking at upgrading my T300 and want to get one or the other.

If you go back to mapping does it change the device number.. I know in iracing sometimes I need to remap because it thinks the device changed (IE Device 0 vs device 1)

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

If I don't plug all my poo poo into the same USB ports I have to do a controller calibration again in most sims.

I started labeling my USB ports and haven't had trouble since.

Running win10.

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.
Automobilista 1.0 coming in August, final beta tomorrow. Brit Pack DLC by end of August. Licensed Imola DLC later this year.

Some more sweet Vintage F1:

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Formula Vintage is going to be 2 cars, a 1967 car with either a V8 or V12 engine and a (superior) 1969 car with V8 or V12 but also super early wings.

Also tomorrow's beta is gonna add Suzuka East, Suzuka classic (no idea how classic but I'm hoping 60s for the F-Vintage), VIR West, VIR Patriot, a 7km Mendig layout and the ability to change qualifying session length and finally race start types in championship mode. They've also said another car has been added to the Brit Pack, though not saying what it is but most people think it's a Ginetta Jr. Also Imola is going to have 3 historic versions from the 70s, 80s, 2000s as well as the modern layout.

I'm really quite surprised how much that initial DLC plan of 5 cars and 6 tracks has expanded, there's now 4 cars in the Brit Pack alone. Given they're apparently bringing in Patrick Giranthon to work on official tracks I'm assuming the track work is expanding as well.

eggyolk
Nov 8, 2007

tater_salad posted:

off topic of your problems but how do you like the T3PA, and TH8A, I'm looking at upgrading my T300 and want to get one or the other.

If you go back to mapping does it change the device number.. I know in iracing sometimes I need to remap because it thinks the device changed (IE Device 0 vs device 1)

The T3PA pedals are amazing, no complaints there. Heavy as hell. The brake pedal is especially intuitive in it's travel. The clutch I haven't used yet.

Which brings me to the TH8A shifter. If I could get it to work in Project Cars I'd enjoy it, but no matter how I map it or plug it in, the game just refuses to acknowledge it exists, even with the latest drivers.

The game insists my wheel is a Ferrari wheel instead of what it actually is. I gave up so it's working with paddle shifting and no clutch, but seriously, how hard is it for the game to just follow my input assignments? It still fucks up the shifting inputs.

e: Even with faulty controls VR racing is loving amazing.

eggyolk fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Jul 28, 2016

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Is there an FOV calculator for AMS? I want to attempt playing it in virtual desktop on my rift though i'll probably give up immediately because gently caress 2D racing.

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.
The one linked in the OP that I spent hours and hours on :argh:

cool new Metroid game
Oct 7, 2009

hail satan

njsykora posted:

but also super early wings.
Not early enough

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

Cojawfee posted:

Is there an FOV calculator for AMS? I want to attempt playing it in virtual desktop on my rift though i'll probably give up immediately because gently caress 2D racing.

http://www.projectimmersion.com/fov/index.php

Same as the rFactor calculator (AMS is listed there).

The Science Goy
Mar 27, 2007

Megadyptes posted:

Not early enough

How the gently caress did they ever think that was going to work?

AMS beta update is gonna be awesome, I might not have enough time to get in my iRacing events since I'll be busy with those sexy vintage additions.

Tony Montana
Aug 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
It did work, the whole field is doing it.

It's loving dangerous, those long blades flying through the air would be lethal in a accident. They would have been aluminium too, so literally a six foot long metal blade.

It gets the wing up and out of the dirty air. They might even do it now of it was allowed.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
They did it for the reason Tony Montana said. They knew a wing would give more grip but had no idea (and still have no idea) how to harness it. They thought having the wing up and in clean air was best. They had big wings on tiny metal poles that were very fragile. You'd have plenty of downforce but then the wing or the poles would buckle. Then all of a sudden you had no downforce. If you were in a corner, you were going to crash and maybe die. Drivers clearly didn't like the wings at first. Motorsport has always been rapidly increasing power and speed with safety lagging far behind.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Wouldn't the higher wings also reduce slipstreaming since the car isn't punching as big a hole in the air as it would be with the wings lower down?

cool new Metroid game
Oct 7, 2009

hail satan

It wasn't just F1 that had those insane wing stalks either, these guys did it first

cool new Metroid game fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Jul 29, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eggyolk
Nov 8, 2007

tater_salad posted:

I managed to get everything working now without having any clue why. The shifter is spot on, and with the VR its completely engrossing. Now I'm obsessed with learning the tracks and getting into online races. My wife hates me.