Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

MCH is probably the one class more affected by mechanics windows than BLM. You have a little more mobility, but if your wildfire burst is interrupted for any reason your dps becomes a small pile of poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.
I main BLM and love it and couldn't stand how severely my DPS was affected by the boss doing anything at all as MCH

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

I know it would be more boring but I'd love it if Wildfire were just a 25% damage increase buff instead of a 25% damage compiler

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

LITERALLY MY FETISH posted:

MCH is probably the one class more affected by mechanics windows than BLM. You have a little more mobility, but if your wildfire burst is interrupted for any reason your dps becomes a small pile of poo poo.

Guns are cool and that's why I wanted to level MCH, but maybe I should level BRD instead, because that doesn't sound fun. :(

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Ciaphas posted:

I know it would be more boring but I'd love it if Wildfire were just a 25% damage increase buff instead of a 25% damage compiler

If that was the case then you wouldn't be able to do 20k damage in a single hit, which would be sad.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Thundarr posted:

If that was the case then you wouldn't be able to do 20k damage in a single hit, which would be sad.

More boring like I said yeah but it would prevent having to hold Wildfire for like a minute because Brute Justice is going to be gone for the last half-a-goddamn-second of Wildfire's duration or whatever

Made me wanna cry every time that happened

mistaya
Oct 18, 2006

Cat of Wealth and Taste

GentlemanGiant posted:

Here: http://ffxivrotations.com/3zo is the basic two ammo level 60 opener for MCH; remove quelling strikes if you are using feint instead, and take out the potion if you don't have any on hand.

Also here are two guides I found incredibly useful when I was learning the class, along with a video of a commented parse by Aiurily, which also helped me a lot.
BUFF MCH 2016
MCH FAQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UBpt4_aPMY4

This is just what I was looking for, thanks much!

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011
i got a question about dragoon rotations. the intuitive combo is to open with heavy thrust and then do a chaos thrust combo and two full thrust combos, alternating between heavy thrust and phlebotomize after each finisher. my only issue is that disembowel and chaos thrust are usually dropping off the target for three to four seconds before getting reapplied, which by my math is very very close to hitting the breakpoint where it's better to do only one full thrust combo for each chaos thrust combo instead.

is there a skill speed threshold that i should be aiming for to maximize dps from the CT -> 2x FT combo? or is there a rotation that better handles heavy thrust/chaos thrust/phlebotomize uptime? maybe i should be aiming for a low skill speed and sticking to CT -> FT and maxing out determination and crit instead? i dunno folks gimme a hand here

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Farg posted:

Are machinists still like, bottom of the barrel dps wise? They look rad as hell and I love the aesthetics of the class and a lot of fate grinding is in my future anyways so

Here's the thing: all classes can do acceptable dps. MCH is one of them, and I'd say in terms of ease of getting good numbers, they're middle of the line

Based on my experience, the ease of classes to do "good" DPS is this: SMN, BLM, MNK, DRG, MCH, NIN and BRD. Without fail, ninjas and bards do the worst DPS in my random pubbie runs for DF. I don't know if it's that the class attracts a bad player type, it's underbuffed, or if it's something else. To clarify: all classes can do really good DPS if you know how to push buttons right - people that raid with bard can easily push 1400-1500 dps in EXDR (so can MCH). But in reality I'm usually getting people pushing about 700-800 for those classes.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

DolphinCop posted:

i got a question about dragoon rotations. the intuitive combo is to open with heavy thrust and then do a chaos thrust combo and two full thrust combos, alternating between heavy thrust and phlebotomize after each finisher. my only issue is that disembowel and chaos thrust are usually dropping off the target for three to four seconds before getting reapplied, which by my math is very very close to hitting the breakpoint where it's better to do only one full thrust combo for each chaos thrust combo instead.

is there a skill speed threshold that i should be aiming for to maximize dps from the CT -> 2x FT combo? or is there a rotation that better handles heavy thrust/chaos thrust/phlebotomize uptime? maybe i should be aiming for a low skill speed and sticking to CT -> FT and maxing out determination and crit instead? i dunno folks gimme a hand here

What you just listed is the level 50 rotation. At level 60, you want to alternate CT and FT--consider the buffer you have before they fall off as leeway to do mechanics. It's possible that at some absurd amount of skillspeed you'd go back to two FTs per CT but I'm not sure that's actually achievable.

Farg
Nov 19, 2013
Dang I'm really hyped to play MCH and make my perfect cowboy glamour and raid in 3.4

Can I go from 30-60 in 3 days

Griz
May 21, 2001

DolphinCop posted:

someone already did all the math on that, you should be doing HT - CT combo+4th - phleb - FT combo+4th - repeat forever. this clips the hell out of the CT dot but is still better overall.

CT - 2x FT is for level 50-53, or when you gently caress up and lose BotD, or if you have enough skillspeed to reach 2.12 second GCD (which I don't think is possible without that one AST buff and Selene, and would make you run out of TP way too fast anyway)

http://forum.square-enix.com/ffxiv/threads/238845-How-to-Dragoon-Per-Second-A-DPS-Paradigm

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011
hmm, interesting. with how much CT overlap the 1x FT rotation gives me, i can probably fit an extra fracture into each set. thanks for the feedback!

Potato Jones
Apr 9, 2007

Clever Betty

Farg posted:

Dang I'm really hyped to play MCH and make my perfect cowboy glamour and raid in 3.4

Can? Yes.

Should? No.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

seiferguy posted:

Here's the thing: all classes can do acceptable dps. MCH is one of them, and I'd say in terms of ease of getting good numbers, they're middle of the line

Based on my experience, the ease of classes to do "good" DPS is this: SMN, BLM, MNK, DRG, MCH, NIN and BRD. Without fail, ninjas and bards do the worst DPS in my random pubbie runs for DF. I don't know if it's that the class attracts a bad player type, it's underbuffed, or if it's something else. To clarify: all classes can do really good DPS if you know how to push buttons right - people that raid with bard can easily push 1400-1500 dps in EXDR (so can MCH). But in reality I'm usually getting people pushing about 700-800 for those classes.
Its because BRD is priority based instead of having some implicit class mechanic like skill combos or stack building driving its rotation, you're just going down the list and checking off procs, CDs, DoTs, and doing whichever thing most needs doing at that time. If you think about it for a little bit it coalesces into a real rotation where you know what order you have to spin your plates in and how many GCDs you have before they stop spinning, but conversely if you're the kind of person that hasn't put much thought into it its also not very obvious that you're doing something wrong. Unlike a melee class where if you use abilities out of sequence or just spam impulse drive over and over again or whatever you'd have to be a total idiot to not realize where you hosed up.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Farg posted:

Wrangler Hat is a lie and is nothing but a cruel joke intended to torment me and make me question my very existence. Please do not help Squeenix in their perpetual quest to break me by gaslighting.

(I'm still not entirely convinced that I actually own an Amon's Hat. I only just got that THIS YEAR when doing Aether Oils, and I've been playing since 2.2.)

Burger McAngus
May 24, 2010

DolphinCop posted:

hmm, interesting. with how much CT overlap the 1x FT rotation gives me, i can probably fit an extra fracture into each set. thanks for the feedback!

Last time I checked fracture was a dps loss on DRG

Farg
Nov 19, 2013

Burger McAngus posted:

Last time I checked fracture was a dps loss on DRG

IT BEGINS

Skaw
Aug 5, 2004

homeless snail posted:

Its because BRD is priority based instead of having some implicit class mechanic like skill combos or stack building driving its rotation, you're just going down the list and checking off procs, CDs, DoTs, and doing whichever thing most needs doing at that time. If you think about it for a little bit it coalesces into a real rotation where you know what order you have to spin your plates in and how many GCDs you have before they stop spinning, but conversely if you're the kind of person that hasn't put much thought into it its also not very obvious that you're doing something wrong. Unlike a melee class where if you use abilities out of sequence or just spam impulse drive over and over again or whatever you'd have to be a total idiot to not realize where you hosed up.

Bows(and guns) having a 10% or so lower WD is also a culprit in BRD and MCH having lower DPS.

Lucas Archer
Dec 1, 2007
Falling...

homeless snail posted:

That's Sastasha, there's a note in the side room near the beginning that tells you what color coral you need to touch further in to spawn the boss. The wrong corals trigger a trap.

Gamepad controls are actually really good once you get used to them, but you definitely need to invest in a bluetooth keyboard for chatting. For tanking the most important things you will need to learn is using R1+R2 to cycle target forward, and holding L1 and using d-pad up/down to navigate the threat list

Yeah, my biggest issue now is getting my stupid hands in sync to do all the stuff I want without fumbling about like a fool. I was in The Thousand Maws for the first time earlier today and it took me a while to get into a comfortable groove. Thankfully the group I was in was really helpful and cool with my buffoonery. So far that's been my experience - really easy going players. I feel a lot less anxious tanking.

I was looking at jobs earlier. I'm probably going to go Paladin since my Gladiator is already 27. With leves and similar stuff, is it onerous to get up to 15 with the conjuror?

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Give me your friend's BURGERS and SANDWICHES, I'll put out the fire.

Commander Quack posted:

Buy retainer fantasia on the market board.

Wow I thought about the ethical implications of that. I mean you're probably forcing your retainer to change their gender, race and probably personality just so they'd look the way you want them too.

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?

Lucas Archer posted:

Yeah, my biggest issue now is getting my stupid hands in sync to do all the stuff I want without fumbling about like a fool. I was in The Thousand Maws for the first time earlier today and it took me a while to get into a comfortable groove. Thankfully the group I was in was really helpful and cool with my buffoonery. So far that's been my experience - really easy going players. I feel a lot less anxious tanking.

I was looking at jobs earlier. I'm probably going to go Paladin since my Gladiator is already 27. With leves and similar stuff, is it onerous to get up to 15 with the conjuror?

It won't be long at all. Between your 100% armory bonus and the 30% XP ring, if you got it, it'll be really quick.

Lucas Archer
Dec 1, 2007
Falling...
Excellent.

...wait. What ring?

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Lucas Archer posted:

Excellent.

...wait. What ring?

Do the hall of the novice

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?

Lucas Archer posted:

Excellent.

...wait. What ring?

Talk to The Smith in any of the adventurer's guilds and do all of the training quests. You get a free set of level 15 gear and at the end you get a ring that gives +3 to every stat and an extra 30% to XP gains for all classes under level 30. It's great.

Lucas Archer
Dec 1, 2007
Falling...
I did the first three and just forgot about it. Nice to know!

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Sinners Sandwich posted:

Wow I thought about the ethical implications of that. I mean you're probably forcing your retainer to change their gender, race and probably personality just so they'd look the way you want them too.

I think it actually presents itself as just hiring a new one.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

a kitten posted:

It does, yeah.

Vadoc
Dec 31, 2007

Guess who made waffles...

I had been looking forward to Machinist back before they were released, kind of like a Bard except with guns and a turret..and then they came out with stupid Ammo mechanic for them in addition to everything else. Great..fantastic, as if there wasn't enough things to keep track of during a fight.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
Ammo isn't that hard to keep track of. The biggest thing that will trip you up with it is that Hot Shot and Lead Shot both use it.

Aside from that you only have like, 5 things to pay attention to for your burst and then 3 things for your downtime. It takes some getting used to but there's no great feat of mental agility required.

Eight-Six
Oct 26, 2007

I finally 'figured out' MCH when I realized that everything you do rotates around your Hot Shot (30s), Reload (60s) and Wildfire (90s) timers, with the 1a-priority of all your buffs/ogcds. You can set your entire rhythm to it and it all comes full circle every three minutes if you're not interrupted.

The problem with MCH though is that if you aren't at least hitting Reload/Wildfire on cooldown you're typically doing poo poo dps even on things like trash mobs or unimportant non-boss fights, which happens a lot with random MCHs. That, or they don't really know how to AoE or ever turn on the TP-restoring part of the rook, or any number of things.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

DolphinCop posted:

Don't use fracture on dragoon above level 50. It is a DPS loss plus a TP hog. You'll end up clipping two ticks of CT running HT, CT combo, finisher, Phlebotomize, FT combo, finisher, repeat. You will not clip phlebotomize by more than one tick ever. Throwing in a fracture delays your combo finishers as well and messes up your geirskoguls not to mention that it's significantly lower potency than the average of each attack on either combo.

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011
i thought for sure that post was too obvious

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
I'm just giving someone the benefit of the doubt and assuming the post was sincere.

General Morden
Mar 3, 2013

GOTTA HAVE THAT PAX BISONICA
hit 15% on nidhogg ex before we wiped and then the pub party disbanded

slowly making progress

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

Eight-Six posted:

I finally 'figured out' MCH when I realized that everything you do rotates around your Hot Shot (30s), Reload (60s) and Wildfire (90s) timers, with the 1a-priority of all your buffs/ogcds. You can set your entire rhythm to it and it all comes full circle every three minutes if you're not interrupted.

The problem with MCH though is that if you aren't at least hitting Reload/Wildfire on cooldown you're typically doing poo poo dps even on things like trash mobs or unimportant non-boss fights, which happens a lot with random MCHs. That, or they don't really know how to AoE or ever turn on the TP-restoring part of the rook, or any number of things.

No, the problem is it's one of the most complicated classes to squeeze nonshit dps out of while also being one of the most affected by mechanics. It's not bad, but you definitely have to put in much more effort than most other dps.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

a kitten posted:

Well then you're firing them due to their race, sex or personality. Very problematic.

Kortel
Jan 7, 2008

Nothing to see here.

RagnarokAngel posted:

Well then you're firing them due to their race, sex or personality. Very problematic.

If she didn't want to get replaced she wouldn't mouth off to me everything I sent her out on Ventures.

Klades
Sep 8, 2011

Hamsterlady posted:

Swiftcast Fire IV is better than Flare on a single target. Also be sure to use Convert when your MP is low to get more fire spells out. You should basically never need Transpose unless you're doing AOE (since you'll be casting Flare more often than you can convert), or if you have a firestarter proc while in umbral ice (transpose before using it so it does more damage)

My opener is (pre-pull) Surecast, Quelling Strikes, Ley Lines, Fire 1, Enochian+Raging Strikes, Fire 3(proc), Fire 4, Fire 4, Fire 4, Fire 1, Swiftcast Fire 4, Convert, Fire 4, Fire 4, Blizzard 3, Thunder 1, Blizzard 4, Fire 3, regular rotation

note that this requires a scholar, a Dunesfolk lalafell, or piety food or else you won't have the MP for thunder after you cast Blizzard 3

Fire IV is definitely better for damage, but if you use swiftcast flare in your opener you have more breathing room with regard to your astral fire stack. It's only a 20 potency difference, so unless you've got a ton of spell speed and know you're not going to move an inch or mess up, I think it's worth it personally.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Hamsterlady posted:

Swiftcast Fire IV is better than Flare on a single target. Also be sure to use Convert when your MP is low to get more fire spells out. You should basically never need Transpose unless you're doing AOE (since you'll be casting Flare more often than you can convert), or if you have a firestarter proc while in umbral ice (transpose before using it so it does more damage)

My opener is (pre-pull) Surecast, Quelling Strikes, Ley Lines, Fire 1, Enochian+Raging Strikes, Fire 3(proc), Fire 4, Fire 4, Fire 4, Fire 1, Swiftcast Fire 4, Convert, Fire 4, Fire 4, Blizzard 3, Thunder 1, Blizzard 4, Fire 3, regular rotation

note that this requires a scholar, a Dunesfolk lalafell, or piety food or else you won't have the MP for thunder after you cast Blizzard 3

Man, it's been so long since I've done anything to my opener that I have no idea how it compares to a 'proper' BLM opener.

Quelling Strikes, Ley Lines, Fire 3, Raging Strikes+Enochian+Surecast, Fire 4, Fire 1, Convert, Fire 4 x4, Fire 3 (proc), Fire 4 x2, Blizzard 3, Blizzard 4.

Probably not close to optimal but it's pretty much muscle memory by now.

• Locked thread